PDA

View Full Version : Monsters and Hit Dice

Valtu
2014-02-03, 09:15 PM
I have a question about Hit-Dice. So a creature's (or player's) Hit Die itself would be d6, d10, etc. but it's number of Hit Dice would basically be its level, right?

A 10th level Fighter would be said to have 10 Hit Dice, for the purpose of determining what sort of spell like Color Spray has on him. . .I think.

Am I understanding that correctly?

If so, when it comes to Polymorph, and the text says "the assumed form can't have more Hit Dice than the caster's level," does that mean the creature the caster is attempting to change into is off-limits entirely, or can you simply transform into a weaker version?

Not sure how monsters work or if there's much variation from one to another within the same type. (ex: Can you have 2 Dire Tigers with different stats from one another?)

Urpriest
2014-02-03, 09:19 PM
I have a question about Hit-Dice. So a creature's (or player's) Hit Die itself would be d6, d10, etc. but it's number of Hit Dice would basically be its level, right?

A 10th level Fighter would be said to have 10 Hit Dice, for the purpose of determining what sort of spell like Color Spray has on him. . .I think.

Am I understanding that correctly?

If so, when it comes to Polymorph, and the text says "the assumed form can't have more Hit Dice than the caster's level," does that mean the creature the caster is attempting to change into is off-limits entirely, or can you simply transform into a weaker version?

Not sure how monsters work or if there's much variation from one to another within the same type. (ex: Can you have 2 Dire Tigers with different stats from one another?)

You're understanding hit dice correctly. Class levels are a type of hit dice.

Polymorph always turns you into a monster that's typical of its kind, otherwise you'd always choose monsters ridiculously more powerful than the normal ones.

In general, you should read my Monster Handbook, link in sig, if you haven't already.

Valtu
2014-02-03, 10:05 PM
You're understanding hit dice correctly. Class levels are a type of hit dice.

Polymorph always turns you into a monster that's typical of its kind, otherwise you'd always choose monsters ridiculously more powerful than the normal ones.

In general, you should read my Monster Handbook, link in sig, if you haven't already.

Thanks for posting that! I had actually come across a post of yours linking to it the other day, but I forgot to bookmark it. Now it is bookmarked.:smallcool:

That is incredibly helpful.