PDA

View Full Version : Sunfire Blast (new warlock invocation) [3.5]

Fortuna
2014-02-04, 01:03 AM
Sunfire Blast (Lesser; 3rd; Eldritch Essence) [Light]
This eldritch essence invocation allows you to change your eldritch blast into a sunfire blast. Such a blast does an additional point of damage per die to creatures of the Undead type or creatures particularly vulnerable to sunlight, or double damage to creatures to which both applies. In addition, if you hit the target sheds bright light for thirty feet (and will shed dim light for double that radius). Each round, the radius of bright illumination reduces by 5 feet (therefore reducing the radius of dim light), until after six rounds the creature no longer glows. Finally, a sunfire blast ignores concealment due to darkness, and affects incorporeal creatures to which it will do extra damage on a hit normally.

nonsi
2014-02-04, 10:57 AM
Very nice :smallsmile:

What does it do to vampires ?

forsaken1111
2014-02-04, 11:13 AM
Very nice :smallsmile:

What does it do to vampires ?

Double damage. It says so right there. :P

Kane0
2014-02-04, 05:54 PM
Why not just make it positive energy damage?
Double damage against undead/light sensitive foes isn't really that powerful considering it's a greater and the warlock is not known for it's phenominal damage output anyway (barring hellfire clawlock).

The light shedding is a nice touch.

Fortuna
2014-02-04, 07:03 PM
Why not just make it positive energy damage?
Double damage against undead/light sensitive foes isn't really that powerful considering it's a greater and the warlock is not known for it's phenominal damage output anyway (barring hellfire clawlock).

The light shedding is a nice touch.

Positive energy damage heals living creatures, and at-will healing seems like a bad thing to give to me. It could, perhaps, stand to be reduced a step to Lesser.

Kane0
2014-02-04, 07:29 PM
Then simply stipulate that you cannot heal creatures with it. Divine damage is also an option.

Zaydos
2014-02-04, 08:03 PM
Positive energy damage does not do anything more than standard damage to undead. Positive energy damage also makes it resistible by certain spells. The only advantage is that it affects incorporeal creatures (or was it just undead) freely.

Looking over what it currently does it should be a lesser invocation. It'd be better than Baneful Blast at high levels but unless in a really undead heavy game it's still not great.

I'd actually make it affect incorporeal undead without the normal miss chance. Still not the greatest, but a major wraith slayer.

forsaken1111
2014-02-04, 08:14 PM
Drop it to lesser and add the ghost touch effect and I believe it would be fine. I would certainly use it on my warlock character, especially if I was playing something like a radiant soul.

TuggyNE
2014-02-04, 08:31 PM
Positive energy damage heals living creatures

This is not actually true — see bolt of glory for a counterexample.

Fortuna
2014-02-04, 11:18 PM
Modified to take account of feedback. :smallsmile: