PDA

View Full Version : Insightful strike

kpumphre
2014-02-04, 01:21 AM
I'm sure this is a stupid question but using a kusari-gama with this grant double int damage like it does for X1.5 str? Using a swashbuckler rogue and just trying to add up my damage. chose that so it's a bit different from all the spike chains I see in our party.

Edit X1.5

Tommy2255
2014-02-04, 01:28 AM
I'm not sure how this happened, but we just posted pretty much the same question 3 minutes apart. I guess everyone's building Swashbucklers at 1:30 in the morning on a Tuesday. Small playground I guess. I'd delete mine and just watch this thread, but I'm not sure how to do that.

OldTrees1
2014-02-04, 01:38 AM
I'm sure this is a stupid question but using a kusari-gama with this grant double int damage like it does for double str? Using a swashbuckler rogue and just trying to add up my damage. chose that so it's a bit different from all the spike chains I see in our party.

Kusari-gama doesn't double Str to damage to my knowledge.

Tommy2255
2014-02-04, 01:42 AM

I believe he means 1.5x Str to damage for a two handed weapon.

nedz
2014-02-04, 01:42 AM
You should be building Ninjas :smallwink:

Insightful strike does Int as well as any Str bonus you might have.
How are you getting the double Str BTW ?

kpumphre
2014-02-04, 01:51 AM
Sorry been around power attacking to long. It should work same as spiked chain which does give x1.5 str as well as working with weapon finesse

So is int also X1.5 int or just x1.5 str and x1 int

OldTrees1
2014-02-04, 01:53 AM
Sorry been around power attacking to long. It should work same as spiked chain which does give x1.5 str as well as working with weapon finesse

So is int also X1.5 int or just x1.5 str and x1 int

Only x1.5 Str and x1 Int.

kpumphre
2014-02-04, 01:56 AM
Only x1.5 Str and x1 Int.

Why doesn't it also go the x1.5 as str does

Also would power attack stack on this?

Hytheter
2014-02-04, 01:58 AM
Why doesn't it also go the x1.5 as str does

Because it's a separate bonus. Remember, insightful strike doesn't replace your STR to damage, it's an additional bonus.

kpumphre
2014-02-04, 02:08 AM
OK Thanks Hyth, any idea on power attack though I have one more feat open (8th level character with shadow template) then I will gain a second one next level.

Tommy2255
2014-02-04, 02:33 AM
OK Thanks Hyth, any idea on power attack though I have one more feat open (8th level character with shadow template) then I will gain a second one next level.

I don't see any reason why power attack wouldn't work. That's the whole reason I'm using Elven Courtblade in my build (that, and because I think it's cool).

Wrathof42
2014-02-04, 02:38 AM
Cause of how power attack works? "You can’t add the bonus from Power Attack to the damage dealt with a light weapon (except with unarmed strikes or natural weapon attacks), even though the penalty on attack rolls still applies."

Tommy2255
2014-02-04, 02:45 AM
Cause of how power attack works? "You can’t add the bonus from Power Attack to the damage dealt with a light weapon (except with unarmed strikes or natural weapon attacks), even though the penalty on attack rolls still applies."

I don't have the source for the kusari-gama on hand, but Elven Courtblade says "A character can use an elven courtblade in conjunction with the Weapon Finesse feat, applying her Dexterity bonus (if any) to melee attacks she makes with the weapon, though it remains a two-handed weapon and not a light weapon", and I know a similar clause exists for rapier (which is a one-handed weapon).

Darrin
2014-02-04, 02:48 AM

It's also a light weapon (DMG version), so you can't grip it with two hands to get x1.5 Str or add Power Attack damage to it.

Artillery
2014-02-04, 02:49 AM
You can't get bonus damage from Power Attack with Kusari-gama. Assuming your using the one from the DMG, its an exotic light melee weapon with reach that does 1d6 dmg and crits with a 20 for x2.

Power Attacking with a Light weapon doesn't give extra dmg. Two-handing a light weapon also doesn't give 1.5x str, just the normal 1x str.

kpumphre
2014-02-04, 07:38 AM
I got the stats from D&D wiki. Exotic two hand Melee with reach (Same as spike chain)

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Kusarigama_%283.5e_Equipment%29

nedz
2014-02-04, 07:48 AM
Unfortunately D&D wiki is an unreliable reference source, you could just be looking at some random person's homebrew.

kpumphre
2014-02-04, 08:21 AM
Unfortunately D&D wiki is an unreliable reference source, you could just be looking at some random person's homebrew.

True well I'll talk to my Dm Basically it has it as doing the same as spiked chain just 1d8 instead of 2d4. But the Spiked chain should be able to do everything mentioned. Either way I'll have the ability be it a d8 or 2d4

Tommy2255
2014-02-04, 12:10 PM

He's not, actually. He's looking at the 3.0 version.

nedz
2014-02-04, 01:05 PM

The page is titled "Kusarigama (3.5e Equipment)", which is wrong.

OldTrees1
2014-02-04, 01:27 PM

Incorrect
The 3.0 version is: Martial One-handed(not light) 1d6 damage
He is looking at homebrew
Homebrew: Exotic Two-handed 1d8 damage

Hytheter
2014-02-04, 11:02 PM
Oritental Adventures has a different version altogether
Kusari-gama 1d6/1d4 x2 Slashing/Bludgeoning
It can be used as either a double weapon or a reach weapon (which can still strike adjecent opponents). You can trip with it, get +2 to disarm with it and it's finessable. Basically a weaker Spiked Chain that doubles as a double weapon.

It's also described as a large weapon, which I guess means two-handed?

Tommy2255
2014-02-04, 11:09 PM
Oritental Adventures has a different version altogether
Kusari-gama 1d6/1d4 x2 Slashing/Bludgeoning
It can be used as either a double weapon or a reach weapon (which can still strike adjecent opponents). You can trip with it, get +2 to disarm with it and it's finessable. Basically a weaker Spiked Chain that doubles as a double weapon.

It's also described as a large weapon, which I guess means two-handed?

I thought that was what was in the DnDWiki link. Guess I should have actually looked. But in any case, it's clearly what he was talking about from the start. It's the only appearance that's 2 handed (also, it's the only one that makes sense, given what a Kusari-gama actually is).

Hytheter
2014-02-04, 11:15 PM
I thought that was what was in the DnDWiki link. Guess I should have actually looked. But in any case, it's clearly what he was talking about from the start. It's the only appearance that's 2 handed (also, it's the only one that makes sense, given what a Kusari-gama actually is).

The one on the wiki is d8 rather than d6/d4, and doesn't have the double weapon bit.

HunterOfJello
2014-02-04, 11:15 PM
dndwiki is a horrible source for absolutely anything and everything. People very commonly mistake the contents on it for being official SRD material. It's a mistake we've all made and one that you can avoid in the future by never going back there again.

If you want an online version of the SRD then go to www.d20srd.org

The kusari-game in the Dungeon Master's Guide is defined as a Light Melee Weapon. By definition, light melee weapons cannot be used in two hands to gain the benefits of twohanded fighting (1.5x str damage, etc.).

The Oriental Adventures (a 3e book) kusari-game is a bit more interesting since it works as both a weapon wielded in one hand that has 10ft reach and "as if fighting with two weapons" (pg 73) using the bladed end in one hand and the weighted end in another.

Neither would allow you to use it as a two-handed weapon. Grab proficiency with the Spiked Chain or that random drow weapon instead if that's what you're interested in.

Hytheter
2014-02-04, 11:25 PM
The Oriental Adventures (a 3e book) kusari-game is a bit more interesting since it works as both a weapon wielded in one hand that has 10ft reach

I'm looking at the description right now, and nowhere does it say it can be used one handed, nor would that make much sense. I'm fairly confident it's used in both hands for both the reach and double weapon uses