PDA

View Full Version : Swashbuckler with Elven Courtblade

Tommy2255
2014-02-04, 01:24 AM
Could an argument be made for a Swashbuckler adding 1.5x Int when wielding an Elven Courtblade? It says "She applies her Intelligence bonus (if any) as a bonus on damage rolls (in addition to any Strength bonus she may have) with any light weapon, as well as any other weapon that can be used with Weapon Finesse". If that's true, then surely the bonus from Int is treated just like the bonus from Str, right? I mean, I'd totally allow it, but that might just be because I really like Swashbucklers.

classy one
2014-02-04, 01:42 AM
Need a more complete description of the weapon. What book is it in? It's a FR weapon? Based on what you said I think you apply your INT bonus rather than your STR.

kpumphre
2014-02-04, 01:54 AM
The class ability is what add's int in addition to str

Yondu
2014-02-04, 01:55 AM
Could an argument be made for a Swashbuckler adding 1.5x Int when wielding an Elven Courtblade? It says "She applies her Intelligence bonus (if any) as a bonus on damage rolls (in addition to any Strength bonus she may have) with any light weapon, as well as any other weapon that can be used with Weapon Finesse". If that's true, then surely the bonus from Int is treated just like the bonus from Str, right? I mean, I'd totally allow it, but that might just be because I really like Swashbucklers.

Elven Court Balde is effectivelly a THW, so you apply one and half strength bonus but the swashbuckler feature is precision damage so you do not apply one and half intelligence bonus.

Hytheter
2014-02-04, 01:57 AM
The INT bonus is on top of the STR bonus, not replacing, so I don't see any valid argument for it dealing 1.5x INT when wielding in two hands. If that were the case, it would be specified in the description of the ability.

On the other hand, this means that off-hand weapons get Int to damage instead of only half.

kpumphre
2014-02-04, 01:59 AM
Oh ok, So tommy what level you making yours?

Tommy2255
2014-02-04, 02:31 AM
Oh ok, So tommy what level you making yours?

We're starting at level 5, but I'm only taking 3 levels of Swashbuckler for synergy with an Int heavy build. I don't even have all three levels on the character yet.

I really wanted to be able to add in 1.5x Int, but I guess that's too much to ask. At least I still have a way to use power attack and weapon finesse both. I'm kind of going all out with the intention of making an extremely inefficient build viable next to my more traditional but less carefully crafted allies. I don't like depending on Strength. I just really like the idea of a more dextrous and intelligent fighter.

FrznTear
2014-02-04, 02:45 AM
I know your question is answered but Elven courtblade weapons finesse power attack builds are so cool that I am overexcited and have to blurt out options you have going forward

You should look into taking a dip in swordsage to pick up assassin's stance at ninth level. This will get you sneak attack if you want to take Craven(3.0 material, Champions of Ruin) for more damage when you sneak attack.

And if you enchant your weapon with Aptitude(pg148 of Tome of Battle) you can take the Shadow Blade feat (also from ToB) to let you add your Dex to damage while in a shadow hand stance.

A dip in fighter for hit and run tactics (drow of the underdark fighter acf) lets you add your dex to damage against flat-footed foes in addition to having an inititive boost.

If you are an elf the prestige class Champion of Corellon Larethian is worth looking into.