PDA

View Full Version : Master of Whispers

dascarletm
2014-02-04, 01:44 AM
So, I have a friend in a campaign we just started playing a bard. We're starting an organization, and we were wondering what prestige classes, feats, or any other advice you all have.

We are planning to go to level 20 or possibly higher, and are currently level 2.

He basically wants to be Varys from A Song of Ice and Fire (minus being a eunuch).:smalltongue:

Thanks in advance

Diovid
2014-02-04, 02:48 AM
It depends on how accurately he wants to recreate him and what sources you have available. With just core or with a non-spellcasting character this is harder to do.

With spells and with sources outside of core I can suggest a gnome using as a build bardic sage (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#bardVariantBardicSage) 4 to 6 levels / marshal (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20030906b) 0 or 1 levels / dragonfire adept (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060912a&page=2) 0 or 1 levels / urban savant 9 levels / paragnostic apostle 5 levels using the Trivial Knowledge feat (and other feats which improve your knowledge and bardic knowledge checks).

Trivial Knowledge is from Races of Stone, Urban Savant is from Cityscape and Paragnostic Apostle is from Complete Champion.

dascarletm
2014-02-04, 10:58 AM
I don't think he minds having casting, or being far from the original source. I'm wondering more what classes, feats, etc. can help him fill the roll of a person who has eyes and ears everywhere.

Piggy Knowles
2014-02-04, 11:23 AM
I'm a big fan of a half-elf using the Soothing Voice ACF (allows you to spend a bardic music use to use calm emotions with a DC equal to your diplomacy check), going into the Medani Prophet prestige class from Dragonmarked. The fluff of Medani Prophet turns you into a seer more than a whisperer, but it's perfect for knowing exactly what is going on around in the world. You can even peer into the past, and you get a bunch of free auguries and divinations as spell like abilities every day. Between that and the fact that it progresses spellcastonging at every level, you're golden.

Know(Nothing)
2014-02-04, 01:11 PM
Subsonics from Complete Adventurer might fit, at least thematically.

Emperor Tippy
2014-02-04, 01:48 PM
It really depends specifically on what exactly he wants to do/be, what sources are available, and what power level is desired.

I mean does he want to be great at combat while being decent at the spy stuff or be great at the spy stuff while letting his combat ability suffer (as one example)?

dascarletm
2014-02-04, 04:01 PM
It really depends specifically on what exactly he wants to do/be, what sources are available, and what power level is desired.

I mean does he want to be great at combat while being decent at the spy stuff or be great at the spy stuff while letting his combat ability suffer (as one example)?

All published material for 3.5 and 3.0. No ToB or ToM. I think he want's to be decent in combat, but doesn't mind if he his a total powerhouse as long as he contributes. He wants to have eyes and ears everywhere basically. Besides that I'd have to get more information from him.