PDA

View Full Version : Standard loadout for a 5 month journey

lytokk
2014-02-04, 11:33 AM
So, the players in my game are going to be departing from the caravan they've been with, into unfriendly territory. Unsure about how long they'll be away from the caravan, they need to bring supplies along with them, everything they could need. What exactly would this entail?

They're going to be somewhat unsure about what supplies they'll be able to find along they way, they have a wagon, and will have an animal to pull it. About all I can come up with would be along the lines of a barrel for water, spare wagon wheels, basic repair/blacksmithing tools, rations, and thats about it. What supplies should they get, and how much should this all weigh?

I'll assume some canvas as well to make a cover for the wagon.

**Edit: They may or may not have a level 3 cleric and a level 3 ranger coming with them as NPCs. Its all up to them if they decide to look for/enlist help of these guys.

Red Fel
2014-02-04, 11:44 AM
First, here's a list (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8235865) of basically everything you could need in terms of standard utilities. If your party can afford it, invest in Travel Cloaks, which will cover the basics of food, water and shelter.

Next, here's a list (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187851) of every magic item you need to overcome threats.

Beyond that, it really depends on what they want to do, I imagine. But those two lists are an excellent start.

Spore
2014-02-04, 11:45 AM
Depends on PCs able to find food or water. You can't carry water for 5 months with you. So you need a route to travel where you can replenish your water supplies every week or so. Food is easier to supply and carry around but it will help them along if wilderness characters come along and make regular Survival checks to keep fresh food coming in and only have the food supply being touched when you're going through wastelands, deserts or the sorts.

Needed input:
- Survival ranks in group
- Races of and size of the party (a goblin eats less than an ogre)
- Area to travel
- Water supply en routé

Generally speaking a long travel in the wilderness without any tracker or ranger is suicide. Your people will die of exhaustion, lack of food or water or fall because of the penalties in combat.

Palanan
2014-02-04, 11:48 AM
Originally Posted by lytokk
About all I can come up with would be along the lines of a barrel for water....

Probably more than one barrel would be best, since you never know when some dwarf will come along and use it for a downriver getaway. :smalltongue:

Seriously, having duplicates only makes sense, especially if there won't be trading posts or friendly farms where they can purchase or "requisition" materials.

You don't mention clothing, so linen and leather would be good to have for spares. They'll need axes and knives, if those aren't being included already, plus cooking gear. Fishhooks and line are always good, assuming there will be streams and ponds enough.

Also, depending on the territory they're entering, I think they would be well-served to carry items for trading--skins, furs, knives, axes, pots and the like, or whatever else they think might be appreciated by whoever lives in the region. If they can find them or make them, custom medallions--gold, silver, copper, etc.--might also help make a good impression.

Spore
2014-02-04, 11:51 AM
Probably more than one barrel would be best, since you never know when some dwarf will come along and use it for a downriver getaway. :smalltongue:

Seriously, having duplicates only makes sense, especially if there won't be trading posts or friendly farms where they can purchase or "requisition" materials.

Stuff breaks. Easy as that. The attacking troll roll a natural 1 and destroy your only barrel of water. You travel on an rocky road and the food crates break. Always bring more than you need.

Because you will not want to reroll your character because you saved those 10 Gold on food supplies.

Diarmuid
2014-02-04, 11:52 AM
Unless you plan to roll daily/weekly/etc for wagon wheel breaks and other similar things, they really wouldnt need blacksmithing tools or spare wheels.

It also depends how strictly you're going to be regarding food and water. Water should be easy if they have anyone who can cast Create Water. They wont have a high enough caster for Create Food & Water so food really seems to be the only major concern.

Feed for a horse is 10lbs per day
Trail Rations are 1lb per person per day

The PHB entry doesnt really get into details of how much a wagon can actually carry. But without any other ability to provide food (survival, magic, etc), the group is looking at needing to be able to transport 1500 lbs of food for the horse and 150lbs of food per person.

A light horse can drag 2250 lbs, but the PHB doesnt specify at what speed "dragging" can be done.

roguemetal
2014-02-04, 11:53 AM
Clothing for the intended climate would be recommended.
A tent and pitons would be good in case something happens to the caravan.
Plenty of rope is a must.
Trade goods, to barter for necessities.
Weapons, and maybe some raw materials for crafting if they have a crafter.
Bucket for collecting water/ draining flood water.
Wood, Flint, and Steel for making fires at night.

Most of the food and water necessities can be ignored with a few items/classes.

Everlasting Rations and a cleric to cast Create Water
or
Eternal Wand of Ray of Resurgence

lytokk
2014-02-04, 11:55 AM
Needed input:
- Survival ranks in group
- Races of and size of the party (a goblin eats less than an ogre)
- Area to travel
- Water supply en routé

No survival ranks to speak of really, hence the available ranger NPC. Also they'l be needing to track a group of ogres, so hopefully they actually LOOK for someone who can track. There is a druid, but as a brand new player, I don't want to assume too much

Party is 2 halflings, 1 human and 1 half-elf. NPCs that can be added are human for the cleric, and warforged for the ranger.

the area is, well, not 100% defined. Building a new world for this campaign, but the area will be mostly temperate climate, but I'm not counting out swamplands. Unless they get really lost, there should be no desert or tundra travelling.

For the water, not sure, if they don't take the cleric. They expressed an interest in taking this guy along with them last time the party traveled away from the caravan, and more then likely would want him around for this trek. Create water being a 0 level spell, water should be mostly non-issue so long as this guy is along.

Palanan
2014-02-04, 12:29 PM
Originally Posted by Diarmuid
Unless you plan to roll daily/weekly/etc for wagon wheel breaks and other similar things, they really wouldnt need blacksmithing tools or spare wheels.

This is a little too metagamey for my taste. If I were playing a character heading off into the unknown, my character would want the tools and the spare gear, period.

Party is 2 halflings, 1 human and 1 half-elf. NPCs that can be added are human for the cleric, and warforged for the ranger.

What level is the party, and which classes? Apart from the druid, I don't think this has been mentioned yet.

lytokk
2014-02-04, 12:35 PM
Halfling bard, halfling rogue, half-elf sorc, human psychic warrior, changeling druid. Forgot to give the druid's race. Also a wolf animal companion. All level 3.

Should I just leave it up to them as to what things they need to grab? Really mostly looking for mundane as opposed to magical equipment.

Making sure they have enough clothing is a good idea, but prestidigitation can take care of keeping cloths clean, not sure if the sorceress took that, but I'll be getting her spell list after the next session.

Palanan
2014-02-04, 12:43 PM
Should I just leave it up to them as to what things they need to grab? Really mostly looking for mundane as opposed to magical equipment.

Well, it did occur to me that these are things the players themselves should be thinking of. You did mention that at least one of them is very new to the game, so I assume you want to provide some helpful suggestions.

lytokk
2014-02-04, 12:55 PM
Two of them are new to D&D, one is new to tabletop entirely. The rest of the party, well, none of us have ever considered spending this much time in the wilderness.

Our group places importance on role-playing so I want to make sure I can illustrate the wagon as containing the necessary supplies, as well as make sure the wagon can actually hold all of it. Also, since they have a tendency to be resourceful in creative uses of equipement, I want to know exactly everything they're going to have.

Diarmuid
2014-02-04, 01:03 PM
This is a little too metagamey for my taste. If I were playing a character heading off into the unknown, my character would want the tools and the spare gear, period.

While part of me agrees, at some tables this level of minutae would be out of place.

Add in that there arent really any rules for determining random damage to wagons, if the DM is planning on things like that he kind of needs to make the players aware of that so they can account for it accordingly.

I'm not saying the DM needs to show the players a table with all the possible things that could go wrong, but if that same DM normally handwaves things like "what are you eating, where are you sleeping, how are you replacing the soles in your boots after walking 200 miles", and is now going to a more realistic, gritty game...then that's something that should be established before potential consequences are levied for not adequately preparing for those issues.

lytokk
2014-02-04, 01:14 PM
The only time the wagon gets damaged would more than likely be plot involved, but I do want it to have the feel of making sure you've got everything you need. Thinking along the lines of Oregon Trail, but without the dysentary, and with undead.

Palanan
2014-02-04, 01:15 PM
Originally Posted by Diarmuid
While part of me agrees, at some tables this level of minut[i]ae would be out of place.

I hear you, and I agree there are certainly a lot of games--probably even a majority--where this sort of thing is routinely glossed over.

However....

Our group places importance on role-playing so I want to make sure I can illustrate the wagon as containing the necessary supplies, as well as make sure the wagon can actually hold all of it. Also, since they have a tendency to be resourceful in creative uses of equipement, I want to know exactly everything they're going to have.

Looks like the groundwork is being laid for some good roleplaying, as well as a DM covering all his bases.

:smalltongue:

lytokk
2014-02-04, 01:29 PM
Looks like the groundwork is being laid for some good roleplaying, as well as a DM covering all his bases.

:smalltongue:

someone's gotta keep this ragtag group of soon to be heroes in line.

Sith_Happens
2014-02-04, 02:56 PM
For most wilderness scenarios, I recommend a Survival modifier of at least +0.

DC 10: Get along in the wild. Move up to one-half your overland speed while hunting and foraging (no food or water supplies needed). You can provide food and water for one other person for every 2 points by which your check result exceeds 10.

Food and water supplies are for people with Wisdom penalties or for when you're in a hurry.

Besides that, just buy most of the "Adventuring Gear" list and you're covered in 95% of situations.