PDA

View Full Version : Pandemic, aka Virus Maker

Carrion_Humanoid
2007-01-26, 10:14 PM
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/360724

I don't know if this fits here, but its a amazing game. You get a virus and 3 points and another starting skill and you add onto your virus. However, you only have 200 days before they create a cure and they might shut down the border! Very difficult!

Right now, Right off the start I get rid of human only and then survivabilaty outside host

*Just a note, it'll take a bit before your getting points.
*Another note, things with more than one box you level up in, from left to right.

Zangor
2007-01-26, 11:15 PM
Wiped out all human life on my second try. My first one I started in Australia, and didn't spread anywhere else until half of Australia was dead.

The Orange Zergling
2007-01-26, 11:58 PM
Both times I got about half of the populace before borders closed. :smallannoyed:

Zangor
2007-01-27, 12:17 AM
Both times I got about half of the populace before borders closed. :smallannoyed:

What you need to do is work for infecting people and making the virus less visible with your early points. Forget about lethality. Once it's spread to every region, THEN go for deadly stuff. Or, that was my strategy, and I beat it with some 130 turns left.

Crazy Owl
2007-01-27, 06:57 AM
I don't get this. It says you get points by killing people but after 50 deaths not a single point and a quarter of my turns gone.

Penguinizer
2007-01-27, 10:04 AM
I got the rest of the world except western europe. Well, I live there so Im glad it didnt get infected XD

Im biased :P

RoboticSheeple
2007-01-27, 11:58 AM
I have seen the end, and no one was spared.

Om
2007-01-27, 12:57 PM
The key seems to be keeping your visibility score down and your infection rate up until you've secured a foothold in every region. I even removed most of my symptoms in order to reduce the visibility score to zero. Of course I ramped them all up again after gaining a foothold in Europe. Western Europe* is the toughest one to infect because of its lack of air links.

*Which contains Europe to the Urals. Central Europe contains the Middle East while Eastern Europe is India. I can only assume the designer is American.

Captain van der Decken
2007-01-27, 04:03 PM
I managed it on my second try. I got rid of all the syptoms, and just waited till everyone was infected. And then bought back all the symptoms again.

Kinda .. odd game.

Crazy Owl
2007-01-27, 04:11 PM
Now I get it. Western Europe seems impossible to get. Oh well got the rest of the world.

Soniku
2007-01-27, 04:56 PM
This game seems really buggy. I manage to somehow get negative amounts of points, it's not possible to un-tick boxes until about 20 turns into the game and it's quite annoying that while I had eventually the entire world population infected I can never get anything into or out of Western Europe. Not sure if it's just me but with maximum infectability and 0 in both lethality and visability, Western Europe should be a little infected :smallbiggrin:

Crazy Owl
2007-01-27, 05:06 PM
After my second go (not including buggy games) I got the whole world. The negative points thing was kinf annoying because I couldnt buy anything and my points went down every turn instead of up no matter how many deaths I got.

Cyclone231
2007-01-27, 05:38 PM
I don't get this. It says you get points by killing people but after 50 deaths not a single point and a quarter of my turns gone.
You have to exit the editor and then return to the editting screen. It's a very dumb bug.

Daracaex
2007-01-27, 06:01 PM
Strange, I tried it three times before beating it. Besides Western Europe, Africa was the hardest to infect. I thought they were supposed to be particularly vulnerable to diseases. Curse my narrow knowledge of the world happenings! At least the Wii news channel is up now!:smallbiggrin:

Stormthorn
2007-01-27, 06:32 PM
My deadly Sweating Sickness (only symptoms are sweating and fever) killed 96% of the population of earth by the time they developed a strong enough anti-perspirant!

Cyclone231
2007-01-27, 08:35 PM
Ugh, god, it's worst when you start of in West Europe. How fun it is to have to cross borders without an airport straight off.

King_of_GRiffins
2007-01-27, 09:13 PM
Organ Vomit Fever Pox of Extreme Subtleness and Death; Lethality 22; Infectability 44; Visibility 18; Days 84; People Killed 100%; Score 6965

Western Europe isn't that hard to get, you just need a bit of patience. It's a simulation; If everyone is home sick, who crosses over into Europe?

Mr. Moon
2007-01-27, 09:16 PM
I was able to destroy everyone except those living in Western Europe on my first try. I wonder what would happen if I started in Western Europe... *ideas form*

Edit: It took so long for me to get out of WE, SP and Asia managed to close their borders before I could infect them.

Stormthorn
2007-01-28, 04:28 PM
Organ Vomit Fever Pox of Extreme Subtleness and Death; Lethality 22; Infectability 44; Visibility 18; Days 84; People Killed 100%; Score 6965

A visability of 18 is not subtle. My Syntax Omega virus wiped out humanity (and some other races) with a visability that was like 1/3 of what yours has.

Is their some secret to getting the water plants infected?

Zangor
2007-01-28, 06:23 PM
Did you make your virus waterborne?

Mewtarthio
2007-01-28, 06:50 PM
Why doesn't Western Europe have any airports? Seriously, that makes no sense whatsoever. People travel to Western Europe all the time.

Anyway, the game's pretty simple. Just kill enough people to become completely asymptomatic, pump up the infection rate as high as it can go (take "Waterborne"), and once you've got a foothold in every region, start with "Necrosis" and go back on the lethality list until you run out of points. That's one heck of a virus: Starts out with some minor chills, sneezing, and flu-like symptoms, then suddenly mutates into a perfectly harmless form, and then one day everyone in the world starts decomposing where they stand. Ouch.

Cyclone231
2007-01-28, 06:58 PM
Fever, Immune System and Anticoagulant are all invisible symptoms.

Use them to increase your lethality and infdectivity without having to take a hit to Visibility.

Mr. Moon
2007-01-28, 07:02 PM
I just saw the rating: teens, for mild violance. :P How does that qualify for violance? Mature subject mater, sure, but violance?

For those who haven't caught on, you can remove effects or other things from your virus simply by earning the shown amount of points and taking it off like normal.

Edit: Hah hah! Third try, destroyed the world in less then 80 days!

I started small, getting rid of all lethalities and then working on infectivaty, and waited untill I had crossed WE's boarder. Once that was done, noone could stop me. I was invincable I tell you, invincable!

I think I'm enjoying this game a bit to much.

Daracaex
2007-01-28, 08:09 PM
One of the first things to do should be to uncheck "Humans Only." I'd assume this makes the virus able to be carried by animals and increases the infectivity.

Mr. Moon
2007-01-28, 08:16 PM
Irronicly, no. It doesn't. It makes absolutly no sence. "If a bunny gets it, it could cross the border into WE, shouldn't that spread the virus so much faster?" Unfourtunitly, thus is not the case.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-01-28, 10:19 PM
That's...not what human contact only means. Human contact only means the virus can only be spread by direct contact between infected parties, rather than surviving in blood or waste, or transmitted through the air.

DarkLightDragon
2007-01-29, 03:20 AM
This game is easy. I found it amusing when the news was all "It's the end of mankind!"

The Orange Zergling
2007-01-29, 03:45 AM
FINALLY; after 3 losses, 3 glitched games, and another loss, I won! Whoo! On day 140-something... but still.

West Europe was the hardest to get.

DarkLightDragon
2007-01-29, 04:20 AM
I've played and won twice! Both times were only a few days over 100. The first time I started in Africa and the second in Western Europe. Man, it's hard to get outside WE during early game but when you get enough points to drop the visibility/lethality then it's a cakewalk.

Yuki Akuma
2007-01-29, 09:21 AM
I killed everyone in the world on my second try. Except Western Europe.

Damn you, Western Europe.

Crazy Owl
2007-01-29, 10:38 AM
I have found something more annoying than infecting Western Europe. Starting in Western Europe and not being able to get out.

DarkLightDragon
2007-01-30, 01:57 AM
This person must have been incredibly lonely... (http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o222/Frebedor/Misc/pandemic.jpg)

That was a not-so-good game. Had trouble infecting WE but I got there. I ended up with a large amount of points left over.

EDIT: I won another game in less than 100 days! Woo!

Were-Sandwich
2007-01-30, 02:49 PM
I killed everyone in the world on my second try. Except Western Europe.

Damn you, Western Europe.

Tenacious little buggers aren't we.

Assasinater
2007-01-30, 03:45 PM
The maker of the game could have just opened a world map and looked in it.

Stormthorn
2007-01-30, 09:09 PM
Did you make your virus waterborne?

Yes, my first time wiping out humanity it didnt infect any water plants despire waterborn, maximum moisture resistance, and maximum life outside of host.

One of the first things to do should be to uncheck "Humans Only." I'd assume this makes the virus able to be carried by animals and increases the infectivity.
Im not sure if thats what that means, but unchecking that is a good move. The highest possible stats (and i have worked on this for a few games now) are achieved with everything but Human Only checked and the Human Only unchecked.

DarkLightDragon
2007-02-03, 10:03 PM
I one another one in 83 days! This one was starting in Western Europe...