PDA

View Full Version : Removing HD from Gloura

Hobbo Jim
2014-02-04, 01:37 PM
Hey everyone, I was wondering what changes you all think would be balanced in removing the HD from the Gloura race (Underdark 88-89). I read something that said removing the bard spells & things that HD standardly give (health, skill points, feats, etc.) would put the at a +2LA. Didn't quite seem right to me but I figured I'd ask here :)

Rebel7284
2014-02-04, 01:44 PM
It's already LA+2... and I don't think you can get it to any lower than that while it has the unearthly beauty ability.

Hobbo Jim
2014-02-04, 01:47 PM
Sorry, What I meant was it seems low... I knew it was already a +2LA, but if you only remove HD and well as Bard spells, I felt like it would be too powerful still so perhaps it should be raised?

Urpriest
2014-02-04, 02:08 PM
Sorry, What I meant was it seems low... I knew it was already a +2LA, but if you only remove HD and well as Bard spells, I felt like it would be too powerful still so perhaps it should be raised?

I mean, maybe? LA isn't an exact science, but if it went much beyond LA +2 then it simply wouldn't be worth it. Toss out the bard stuff and you've still got Unearthly Grace, which normally would take three or so class levels, high ability scores, natural flight, DR that is almost high enough to actually matter...it's probably at least LA +3. I'd compare it to Saint, there's a fair amount of overlap in the abilities.

Honestly, it's got pretty nice HD, I don't see why a character would want to avoid them in the first place. It's the LA that's the problem, and that at least can be bought off.