PDA

View Full Version : Name for an organisation

tadetpiano
2014-02-04, 02:05 PM
Hello everyone

I'm DMing a campaign and I am completely stumpen on something that is both trivial and very important... The name of one of the factions involved in the main conflict. I could use some brainstorming assistance :smallbiggrin:

Quick summary: Complete chaos is ensuing in an isolated area of land where everything takes place. People band together under various banners and methods to stay alive. One of the biggest if not the biggest such gathering is centered around a group of druids and rangers who see the destruction as a chance to start over, to rebuild society and civilization in harmony with nature e.t.c. e.t.c. They are generally well meaning and will feed and teach anyone who will embrace their viewpoints, but once you accept, they are very stern about the rules. Fanatics are cropping up at an increasing rate, and some of their leadership may have...personal agendas...

I'm aware that "dawn" is a god theme, but there is already another faction with a suntheme.

Any ideas? (I will have to translate to swedish but anything helps!) :smallwink:

Stux
2014-02-04, 02:45 PM
Something Phoenix related perhaps? Rebirth, rising from the ashes and so forth.

eastmabl
2014-02-04, 02:53 PM
Hello everyone

I'm DMing a campaign and I am completely stumpen on something that is both trivial and very important... The name of one of the factions involved in the main conflict. I could use some brainstorming assistance :smallbiggrin:

Quick summary: Complete chaos is ensuing in an isolated area of land where everything takes place. People band together under various banners and methods to stay alive. One of the biggest if not the biggest such gathering is centered around a group of druids and rangers who see the destruction as a chance to start over, to rebuild society and civilization in harmony with nature e.t.c. e.t.c. They are generally well meaning and will feed and teach anyone who will embrace their viewpoints, but once you accept, they are very stern about the rules. Fanatics are cropping up at an increasing rate, and some of their leadership may have...personal agendas...

I'm aware that "dawn" is a god theme, but there is already another faction with a suntheme.

Any ideas? (I will have to translate to swedish but anything helps!) :smallwink:

Dragons of Spring Dawning.

See if anyone gets it.

Red Fel
2014-02-04, 02:56 PM
Wild Rose (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Wild_Rose_Rebellion).

Think about it. The rose is a beautiful symbol of nature. If left untended, it grows, blooms, and spreads vibrantly.

It also has vicious thorns, warning away those who would destroy its beauty. A rose bush, grown to extremes, can become a perilous bramble, vast and inhospitable, yet providing shelter to the small creatures who dwell within and beneath.

It's an image simultaneously beautiful, evocative of nature, and menacing.

And let's not forget that it carries the color green, representing nature, and red, representing the blood shed by those who would dare defile it.

tadetpiano
2014-02-04, 02:59 PM
Something Phoenix related perhaps? Rebirth, rising from the ashes and so forth.

Sorry, I should also have mentioned that the bird theme is also taken, by the same faction that also has the sun in fact. (Translated they would be called "The wings of the eclipse" and their main symbol is a soaring bird eclipsing a sun...because symbolism) :smalltongue:

Something about ashes could work though, but I dont really want to involve Phoenix in it (its a codename from the other faction)

tadetpiano
2014-02-04, 03:13 PM
Wild Rose (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Wild_Rose_Rebellion).

Think about it. The rose is a beautiful symbol of nature. If left untended, it grows, blooms, and spreads vibrantly.

It also has vicious thorns, warning away those who would destroy its beauty. A rose bush, grown to extremes, can become a perilous bramble, vast and inhospitable, yet providing shelter to the small creatures who dwell within and beneath.

It's an image simultaneously beautiful, evocative of nature, and menacing.

And let's not forget that it carries the color green, representing nature, and red, representing the blood shed by those who would dare defile it.

Ooh I like that, I'll see if I can find something along those lines in swedish with good "punch" to it, thanks! But please, continue, the more ideas the better :smallsmile:

Limited Gish
2014-02-04, 03:14 PM

See if anyone gets it.

I sighed so hard I thought my lung was punctured by a dragonlance.

Edit: Forgot to actually say my idea... And I forgot. Something along the lines of The New Progenitors or some such thing.

ChaoticDitz
2014-02-04, 03:19 PM
I sighed so hard I thought my lung was puntured by a dragonlance.

That was in really bad Tas...te. Something so insulting really leaves me feeling quite okendered.

HolyCouncilMagi
2014-02-04, 03:30 PM
Pincers of the Scorched Wilds? Representing the creatures who would survive and thrive through the fires of destruction.

Scarce
2014-02-04, 03:30 PM
Argentum is a personal favorite of mine. The group has a personal sway against lycanthropes for any contrived reason, be it that the leader is werebear in disguise, or that another group once cultivated wererats for a particularly nasty assault and their iconography never rebounded.

Regardless, it's nice having a faction based on something that isn't an animal or dawn.

Xintas
2014-02-04, 04:50 PM
I'm a big fan of hand imagery, and in this case, I kind of think it works. I would call them the Hands of Genesis.

tadetpiano
2014-02-05, 05:11 PM
Thanks everyone! I've got several ideas to work with now!
Few things sounds as cool in your native language, but I think I can get something good out of this.

lsfreak
2014-02-05, 05:32 PM
Snakes, due to shedding their skin, are mythologically often tied to rebirth. Of course certain kinds, accurately or not, are known for their tenacity. And a few are known for "caring" for their young; king cobras make and defend a nest and pythons watch over their eggs. Given superstition and lack of scientific knowledge, I could easily imagine such behavior being taken as actual parenting (that is, raising and training those who join the organization).

Kelb_Panthera
2014-02-05, 11:02 PM

See if anyone gets it.

For anyone that doesn't get it, this is the title of the third volume of the Dragonlance Chronicles trilogy. I liked the Legends trilogy better.

On topic:

I like the ring of Seed, or something to that effect. Perhaps the word "seed" in some foreign tongue?

Either way it's a reference to the fact that whenever there's a forest fire, much of what's plainly visible is destroyed while the seeds are shielded and nurtured by the ashes; growing into the new fauna that replaces the old. I think it's a much more down-to-earth reference than something to do with a phoenix.

Meth In a Mine
2014-02-05, 11:26 PM
Order of the Woodland Pyre.
Because forest fires destroy but are also necessary for the growth of the forest they take place in.

Crake
2014-02-06, 12:03 AM

Have you ever tried growing roses? If left untended, they die.

BrokenChord
2014-02-06, 12:22 AM

Especially during forest fires.

lsfreak
2014-02-06, 01:28 AM

The two roses I've ever grown don't. I thoroughly ignore them, and while one looks rather scraggly (afaik it's a hybrid that could really could do with some pruning), the others are wild roses and do just fine in a prairie.

..and I know it was a joke, but the annual prairie burns don't harm them the least, either.

Ansem
2014-02-06, 06:23 AM
XIII, short for Organization 13, make 13 custom PC NPC's who'll hunt down the player party.