PDA

View Full Version : Hexblade caster level question

Jallorn
2014-02-04, 03:30 PM
So I'm working on a silly build that gets a ridiculous amount of bonuses from Cha. It's a level 12 build that already has saves that a 20 level character would be hard pressed to challenge. However, I'm working on finagling in a little more AC, because he doesn't have a huge amount of health and could use more AC as a result.

Anywho, what I'm wondering is if a Hexblade can take Precocious Apprentice before getting access to spells on the grounds that it's a casting class where the levels in the class equal the caster level.

Otherwise to manage this, I'd have to raise the build level, though now that it occurs to me that I'd like to give him Evasion, I might do that anyway, though there's probably other ways to get evasion I just haven't looked into yet.

Kane0
2014-02-04, 03:52 PM
Away from books, but i believe a Hexblade caster level is half his level.
Then again in my experience 9 times out of 10 that is houseruled to be equal or level -4.

You might want to skip AC and go for miss chance instead. Grab a way to get some blur or displacement happening.

Jallorn
2014-02-04, 04:18 PM
Away from books, but i believe a Hexblade caster level is half his level.
Then again in my experience 9 times out of 10 that is houseruled to be equal or level -4.

You might want to skip AC and go for miss chance instead. Grab a way to get some blur or displacement happening.

Sure, but two feats and an item for a +9 (which will go up with level) boost to AC is worth the finagling.

ZamielVanWeber
2014-02-04, 04:23 PM
As long as you have a caster level you can take Precocious Apprentice (so a hexblade could take it at 3... if it weren't 1st only).

Jallorn
2014-02-04, 04:28 PM
Yeah, okay, Hexblade doesn't have a caster level till third, missed that. Oops. Alright, need to find another class with a Cha casting stat that has a Full BAB.

Also, Zamiel, fun note: Precocious Apprentice doesn't say level one, it says Arcane Caster Level 1.

And shoulda double checked Warmage sooner; I had it in my head that Warmage was Int based.

ZamielVanWeber
2014-02-04, 04:32 PM
Discussion on full BaB classes (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126747)

Sadly using a monster would not work as well because of LA.

Edit: Precocious Apprentice has a special line that says it can only be taken by a 1st level character.

Jallorn
2014-02-04, 04:38 PM
Yeah, turns out Warmage is Cha based. And I want the full BAB to qualify for PRCs as soon as possible.

ZamielVanWeber
2014-02-04, 04:39 PM
What PrC? There could be workarounds.

Jallorn
2014-02-04, 04:44 PM
Discussion on full BaB classes (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126747)

Sadly using a monster would not work as well because of LA.

Edit: Precocious Apprentice has a special line that says it can only be taken by a 1st level character.

So it does. Why isn't that in the prereqs. Ah well, still not an issue, just means a few less skills, and this character build doesn't actually care about skills beyond prereqs.

What PrC? There could be workarounds.

No, it's a BAB requirement, otherwise I wouldn't care about the BAB, now would I? In any case, it's Eldeen Ranger.

ZamielVanWeber
2014-02-04, 04:49 PM
Warmage is half BaB? Ow. Also Battle Sorcerer is 3/4 BaB and a cha caster.

Jallorn
2014-02-04, 05:15 PM
Oh geeze, I am just not being a careful reader today.

yeesh, guess I need to add an extra level to this build if it's going to do what I want. Ah well, that means a little more money to add as well.

Jallorn
2014-02-04, 05:22 PM
The build in question: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=787129

I'm rather happy with it in general. Haven't sorted the skills yet.

ZamielVanWeber
2014-02-04, 05:29 PM
What do some of those abbreviations stand for?

Jallorn
2014-02-04, 05:32 PM
What do some of those abbreviations stand for?

Oh yeah: Battle Sorcerer 2/Ranger 1/Paladin of Slaughter 2/Battle Dancer 1/Eldeen Ranger 3/Blackguard 3/Mystic Wanderer 1

ZamielVanWeber
2014-02-04, 05:38 PM
Decent size BaB for your level and some truly insane saves. If only you could get Mettle. Also you have Warmage Edge as an ability listed on your character sheet.

Make sure you buy a ring of evasion and a belt of magnificence +6. And consider Unseelie Fey.