PDA

View Full Version : What is a fair HD/LA cost for a Minotaur ?

CyberThread
2014-02-04, 10:04 PM
Figuring you could adjust the HD , what do you think the fair cost for the LA/HD of a Minotaur, would be for a player?

ZamielVanWeber
2014-02-04, 10:14 PM
Hrm. I would drop its LA to +0, but in low op games it has a lot of tools (including being pretty much immune to the ninja class).

Hand_of_Vecna
2014-02-04, 10:30 PM
Ya, 0 LA and making take the 6 mounstrous HD is probably pretty balanced.

ZamielVanWeber
2014-02-04, 10:40 PM
Now that I think about it you could probably get away with dropping a hit die (or even 2). This stacks up poorly against anthropomorphic baleen whale. It has powerful charge, scent, and natural cunning vs 120 ft blindsight and a net +6 mod vs the whale's +20.

ngilop
2014-02-04, 10:46 PM
I went though and made a lot of the more sensible races ( gnolls, minotaurs, trolls, ETC) have a much better balance point.

In my version Minotaurs have a level adjustment of +5, and level adjustment is the only thing you worry about ( i.e non of that stakcing LA and HD, you take the level adjustment and thats it)

The actualy D&D rules make no sense for the vast majority of things, case in point.. you cannot ever convince me that the Minotaur is equal to an 8th level Figher or Barbarian

And in regards to Pathfidner saying level adjustment= CR is a bit off too, A minotaur has to big of bonuses to things to be equal to a 4th level Fighter or Barbarian.

Racial hit die ( for the most part) is not equal to actualy class levels so, the Minotaur don't really fit at LA 6 character

But bump the total down to LA +5, and POW you hit a great mark. so a 1st level Fighter/Barbarian Minotaur is very much on par with a 6th level Fighter/Barbarian. He might not have the cool goodies (feats/abilities) but his higher stats and ability to wield big ol' weapons and the other cool stuff, the immunity to the ninja class mentioned earlier and a really nice charge ability.

Short versionSO yes, give the Minotaur a flat adjustment of +5, so when the minotaur takes that first class level he is equal to 6th level characters.

EugeneVoid
2014-02-04, 10:51 PM
I went though and made a lot of the more sensible races ( gnolls, minotaurs, trolls, ETC) have a much better balance point.

In my version Minotaurs have a level adjustment of +5, and level adjustment is the only thing you worry about ( i.e non of that stakcing LA and HD, you take the level adjustment and thats it)

The actualy D&D rules make no sense for the vast majority of things, case in point.. you cannot ever convince me that the Minotaur is equal to an 8th level Figher or Barbarian

And in regards to Pathfidner saying level adjustment= CR is a bit off too, A minotaur has to big of bonuses to things to be equal to a 4th level Fighter or Barbarian.

Racial hit die ( for the most part) is not equal to actualy class levels so, the Minotaur don't really fit at LA 6 character

But bump the total down to LA +5, and POW you hit a great mark. so a 1st level Fighter/Barbarian Minotaur is very much on par with a 6th level Fighter/Barbarian. He might not have the cool goodies (feats/abilities) but his higher stats and ability to wield big ol' weapons and the other cool stuff, the immunity to the ninja class mentioned earlier and a really nice charge ability.

Short versionSO yes, give the Minotaur a flat adjustment of +5, so when the minotaur takes that first class level he is equal to 6th level characters.

Stats do not Hit Dice and Class Abilities Make.

(Un)Inspired
2014-02-04, 10:53 PM
I would say drop the LA but make them have hooves instead of hands.

Yogibear41
2014-02-04, 10:54 PM
Use the Dragonlance version +4 str, -2 dex -2 int -2 cha, +2 nat armor, gore attack, bonuses on a few skills, and can spend a feat to gain scent +0 la 0 RHD

Page 43 DragonLanc Campaign setting

Or, half-minotaur in dragon magazine for awesome stats for +1 la because why not?

(Un)Inspired
2014-02-04, 10:58 PM
Or just do half Minotaur dragon lance minotaur

Double cow ftw

Fax Celestis
2014-02-05, 01:11 AM
LA +0. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105968) You're welcome.

danzibr
2014-02-05, 07:27 AM

Double cow ftw
Half-Minotaur Minotaur always makes me laugh.

EDIT: And it's actually quite potent for LA +1.

Ravens_cry
2014-02-05, 08:10 AM

Double cow ftw
Be a cleric for obvious reasons.:smallbiggrin:

zephyrkinetic
2014-02-05, 10:29 AM
Sorry, but is there some reason Savage Species isn't being used here?

Urpriest
2014-02-05, 02:07 PM
Is the only thing that can be changed here the HD and LA?

As has been said, it's trivial to design a Minotaur at any HD and LA point you want. But if you want the exact same stats as the MM minotaur, that's something else entirely.