PDA

View Full Version : Happy Endings?

FallenFallcrest
2014-02-04, 11:14 PM
When the Order of the Stick visits the Oracle (#331), Elan's question of "Will this story have a happy ending?" was answered with "Yes- for you, at least.", which for me raised the following question. If it ends badly for everyone else in the Order, how could Elan ever be satisfied with the way his story ends? Especially in respect to Haley. Her ending would be happy as long as she ends up with Elan, but the Oracle said that she won't have a happy ending. And if Elan and Haley are not together, that means that Elan should not be happy. This would seem to mean that something will happen to damage Elan's relationship to Haley and possibly the entire Order. Any comments or suggestions about my hypothesis?

Dissection
2014-02-04, 11:24 PM
"for you at least" doesn't mean "only for you"

Jay R
2014-02-04, 11:35 PM
Based on that statement, I assume that Elan and Haley survive, but the others might or might not.

Elan is a bard. He understands that people die to create the happy ending for others - but that can be a happy ending even for them.

If Roy dies fulfilling his oath, that is a happy ending.

If Durkon is laid beside his ancestors, that's a happy ending.

If Belkar and/or Vaarsuvius redeem themselves in sacrifice to defeat Xykon, that is a happy ending.

Ghost Nappa
2014-02-04, 11:44 PM
Has anyone read Elan's sticktale? I think it's a bit of tease of the eventual ending...with a couple of context changes of course.

Roy with his personal stake taken care of, returns to his house.
Durkon is not featured prominently in the story. No Conclusion.
Belkar dies.
Vaarsuvius maintains business relations with some of the other members.
Haley and Elan get married and have kids.

Bulldog Psion
2014-02-05, 12:26 AM
My personal opinion is that Haley, Elan, and Roy will survive. Durkon, Belkar, and Varsuuvius will not.

ORione
2014-02-05, 12:56 AM
Maybe it's the Oracle who's not getting a happy ending.

I'm not really into action movies. If someone who was asked me if, say, Pacific Rim was a good movie, I would say something along the lines of, "Yeah. You would like it." The Oracle's comment feels like the same sort of thing to me.

Porthos
2014-02-05, 01:48 AM
The ambiguity of the Happy Endings prophecy was discussed in the commentary in War and XPs.

To paraphrase what Rich wrote, the purpose of the "Happy Endings" prophecy was to tell the audience that while there might be some bumps in the road and some harrowing moments (remember this was pre V goes Coocoo for Coca Puffs :smallwink:) that everything will turn out alright when everything was said and done.

He then reminded the audience that one of the things that Durkon's reaction to his prophecy showed was that what Elan thinks of being something that is satisfactory and good might not be what everyone else might expect. Basically allowing Rich a little bit of wiggle room and suspense in his storytelling, as it were.

But put me in the camp of "a little bit of wiggle room" and not some of the theories I've seen like "Elan dramatically sacrifices himself to save the world" and whatnot. Yes, it fits. But it's not what I expect to happen, given the totality of comments I've seen over the years. Plus my own instincts on where this story is ultimately headed. :smalltongue:

factotum
2014-02-05, 03:38 AM
"for you at least" doesn't mean "only for you"

I agree. Interpreting the prophecy in the way specified in the OP requires a very narrow reading of what the Oracle said, and part of the fun of the Oracle's prophecies is the wide range of possible interpretations they have--for example, I'm not sure I recall *anyone* ever theorising that the "right being" from V's prophecy would be V himself!

Kish
2014-02-05, 06:14 AM
When the Order of the Stick visits the Oracle (#331), Elan's question of "Will this story have a happy ending?" was answered with "Yes- for you, at least.", which for me raised the following question. If it ends badly for everyone else in the Order, how could Elan ever be satisfied with the way his story ends?
So near and yet so far.

The answer to the question you asked is, "He couldn't, therefore it obviously won't end badly for everyone else in the Order."

The answer to the question you're treating as having too obvious an answer to bother asking, is, "No, 'for you, at least,' does not indicate or even imply 'for you only and horribly for everyone else.'"

Keltest
2014-02-05, 07:29 AM
I at least choose to interpret it as "Elan at least will consider the story to have a happy ending." which also likely means minimal deaths from the party except noble sacrifice allowing them to win. Bonus points if its Belkar and it gets him out of eternal torment.

Coat
2014-02-05, 09:10 AM
I feel that with the character growth we have seen in Elan, he now appreciates his place (and responsibilities) in the world to the point that he could now die happily - or even watch Haley die - knowing that they will be reunited in the afterlife, in a multiverse that he has helped to save.

But I completely do not think that's what will actually happen.

From the point of the Tiamat-worshipping cold-blooded Kobold Oracle, I think it's fair to say that for a lot of people that the Oracle considers People - those with tails, wings, black scales and the ability to breath acid, for example - the story has already ended, and not well.

The way a bunch of poor sad pathetic lonely unclean annoying disgustingly-hairy mouth-breathing ape-people might feel about it really is secondary. I don't think the Oracle's been shy about his feelings in the matter (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0331.html).

DeliaP
2014-02-05, 09:21 AM
My personal opinion is that Haley, Elan, and Roy will survive. Durkon, Belkar, and Varsuuvius will not.

The humans all survive and the non-humans all die? :smalleek:

For some reason I do hope that's not the way things are going to go....