PDA

View Full Version : A poison user build

Sharigen95
2014-02-04, 11:16 PM
My DM is starting a new campaign involving a group of assassins and I decided to make a character who is a master of poisons. Are there builds that make this possible?

SoraWolf7
2014-02-04, 11:23 PM
Are you intending to use all poisons or just a certain type like contact, ingested, or injury?

Also, I should ask what books are available to you.

Mithril Leaf
2014-02-04, 11:32 PM
Warforged Shaper Psion 1. Advance in psionics as you like, but minor creation covers you all the poison you need from level 1. Warforged gives you immunity to said poison.

Diovid
2014-02-05, 07:11 AM
First, I suggest you read this: http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=tqjv5d44efqqktrvhrnomn7cj2&topic=2714.0

Furthermore I'd like to point out there is a variant of the assassin prestige class called the Poisoner in Dragon Magazine #312.

Talionis
2014-02-05, 05:14 PM
I'm partial to Alchemist Savant. They can add poison to alchemical weapons. Then think about capsule weapons and alchemical arrows.

Piggy Knowles
2014-02-05, 07:06 PM
I also like Alchemist Savant, because combining poison and splash weapons to create poison bombs is fun.

Here is a poison-focused archer I've been working on lately. It can create poisons and fire off poisoned arrows from level one, and eventually can track enemies via Mindsight, ethereally phase into a room, fire off a volley of poisoned arrows, and then phase out of the room, all in the same round.

Factotum Poison Archer

Human, Factotum 8/Warblade 3/Fighter 2/Heir of Siberys 3/Uncanny Trickster 3/Mindbender 1

PROGRESSION:
1. Factotum1- Hidden Talent (Psionic Minor Creation), Master of Poisons
2. Factotum2-
3. Factotum3- Heroic Spirit
4. Factotum4-
5. Factotum5-
6. Mindbender1- Mindsight
7. Fighter1- Point Blank Shot
8. Fighter2- Rapid Shot
9. Warblade1- Manyshot
10. Factotum6-
11. Factotum7-
12. Factotum8- Greater Manyshot
13. Heir of Siberys1- Action Surge
14. Heir of Siberys2- Mark of Stars
15. Heir of Siberys3- Open Lesser Chakra (Shoulders), Shape Soulmeld (Phase Cloak)
16. Warblade2-
17. Warblade3-
18. Uncanny Trickster1- Darkstalker
19. Uncanny Trickster2-
20. Uncanny Trickster3- Blind-Fight

(Uncanny Trickster progresses Warblade. Siberys mark is the Mark of Sentinel.)

MANEUVERS:
1- Wolf Fang Strike, Sudden Leap, Moment of Perfect Mind
2- Claw at the Moon
3- Mind over Body
5- Dancing Mongoose
6- Moment of Alacrity
7- Quicksilver Motion

STANCES:
Blood in the Water, Leaping Dragon Stance

ALTERNATIVES:

This build assumes multiclassing penalties are in effect. If they aren't, drop uncanny trickster for more warblade, giving you Factotum 8/Warblade 6/Fighter 2/Mindbender 1/Heir of Siberys 3.
If flaws are allowed, drop fighter and uncanny trickster, and instead run Factotum 8/Warblade 8/Mindbender 1/Heir of Siberys 3. End result is +16 BAB, 8th-level maneuvers and all relevant tricks.
If fractional BAB is used, feat rogue is a viable alternative in place of fighter.
If Dragon material is allowed, two levels of Invisible Fist Martial Monk can go in over fighter.
If retraining is allowed, in later levels you might want to retrain Master of Poisons to Knowledge Devotion.

The basic plan is as follows:

TRACK your enemies via Mindsight;
PHASE IN ethereally via Phase Cloak;
ATTACK with multiple poisoned arrows via Greater Manyshot, gaining extra standard actions with Action Surge and Cunning Surge;
PHASE OUT as a swift action via Quicksilver Motion or Sudden Leap.

In addition, this guy has excellent skills, has Mind Blank up 24/7 via his Siberys mark, is never surprised or flat-footed, has great stealth (Mind Blank, ethereal movement, spells, skills and Darkstalker), and has all of the goodies you'd expect from an 8th-level Factotum.