PDA

View Full Version : Bees!!!!!!!!

rmnimoc
2014-02-05, 12:33 AM
How would I go about making a 3.5 character who can psionically control bees/wasps/spider/other such creatures? Preferably as a Dromite for flavor reasons. I vaguely recall a PrC that did something like that, but my looking for it has ended in total failure.

Order of preference goes Psionic>Divine(if there is a turn/rebuke vermin)>Mundane>Arcane.

(Un)Inspired
2014-02-05, 12:37 AM
See if your DM with let you use scion of tem et nu for bees instead of hippos.

Barring that, the child of winter feat and related feats from Eberron let Druids wild shape into vermin and have vermin swarms as animal companions

Phelix-Mu
2014-02-05, 12:39 AM
Master of Flies, I think it was called. Anyway, the PrC is in Savage Species, and is interesting, but doesn't progress casting, so it's casually ignored by most of the internet.

More to the point, I would really just refluff a warlock invocation. There is a pretty nice warlock invocation from Drow of the Underdark that dealt with swarms.

Naanomi
2014-02-05, 12:55 AM
Vermin Keeper from the Underdark book is a good choice as well; one that doesn't lose spellcasting along the way

Tiiba
2014-02-05, 12:55 AM
There's one called Vermin Lord in the Book of Vile Darkness. May be inappropriate for exalted paladins.

Phelix-Mu
2014-02-05, 12:57 AM
Or you could refluff one of the two, non-identical versions of Arachnomancer for bees (one from Drow of the Underdark, one from Underdark, an FR supplement). That might work, and they give spellcasting advancement of some kind, I believe.

rmnimoc
2014-02-05, 01:23 AM
See if your DM with let you use scion of tem et nu for bees instead of hippos.

Barring that, the child of winter feat and related feats from Eberron let Druids wild shape into vermin and have vermin swarms as animal companions

What do scions of tem et nu (http://dndtools.eu/classes/scion-of-tem-et-nu/) have to do with hippos? Don't they just get buffed while in the water?

Just a single swarm of them isn't all that impressive. Unless the "vermin swarms" part wasn't a typo and I legitimately get multiple swarms, which might work. Druid isn't really what I'm looking for though.

Master of Flies, I think it was called. Anyway, the PrC is in Savage Species, and is interesting, but doesn't progress casting, so it's casually ignored by most of the internet.

A cool PrC, but it mostly just relies on summoning them/transforming into them. Not really what I'm looking for. The campaign I'm making this for will have no small number of bugs, and I was originally going to use handle animal to collect them for later, but unless I totally focus handle animal the DC checks for vermin are too high to deal with, and they take a bit too long. I was hoping there was some trick that I could use to save me some time.

Vermin Keeper from the Underdark book is a good choice as well; one that doesn't lose spellcasting along the way

That definitely counts. That is another awesome PrC. Still don't really like druids (they are too hard to not totally steamroll everything), but this is good. If I don't find anything better I'll probably go with this.

There's one called Vermin Lord in the Book of Vile Darkness. May be inappropriate for exalted paladins.

I was hoping for something that didn't require evil, but this is interesting too. I'll have to break open the BoVD when I get home to look and see exactly what that capstone does.

Or you could refluff one of the two, non-identical versions of Arachnomancer for bees (one from Drow of the Underdark, one from Underdark, an FR supplement). That might work, and they give spellcasting advancement of some kind, I believe.

More evil. x.x
One is arcane only, and the other is drow only.

The verminfriend/vow of the spiderqueen thing and the spider domain are both interesting, though drow only (and I hate Lolth, and have no desire to be turned into an evil bug with no memory of my former self. I also hate self inflicted ability damage.)

So far Vermin Keeper is looking the best.

Gotterdammerung
2014-02-05, 01:57 AM
I did a vermin master type build for the mindbender round of iron chef. You can find a lot of related content there in that build.

Venger
2014-02-05, 04:09 AM
I did a vermin master type build for the mindbender round of iron chef. You can find a lot of related content there in that build.

The build in question (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12365898&postcount=235)

Aharon
2014-02-05, 04:55 AM
How would I go about making a 3.5 character who can psionically control bees/wasps/spider/other such creatures? Preferably as a Dromite for flavor reasons. I vaguely recall a PrC that did something like that, but my looking for it has ended in total failure.

Order of preference goes Psionic>Divine(if there is a turn/rebuke vermin)>Mundane>Arcane.

Have you read Worm recently? :smallbiggrin:

(Un)Inspired
2014-02-05, 05:02 AM
Whatever you do make sure to take ranks in Profession: Beekeeper. This should let you control bees by transplanting their queen to a new colony and through controlled smoking.

Drachasor
2014-02-05, 05:23 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v508/Jebdel/beeweapon.jpg

rmnimoc
2014-02-05, 05:25 AM
Whatever you do make sure to take ranks in Profession: Beekeeper. This should let you control bees by transplanting their queen to a new colony and through controlled smoking.

Will do. I'll also take Craft: Armor and Craft: Genetic Hybrid so I can make terrors of Hellwasp Swarms that spin fire-resistant DR/10 magic silk, and them have them make that silk into armor. MUAHAAAHAAAHAAHAAAA!

I'll take a look.

Definitely going to keep what you did in mind.

The build in question (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12365898&postcount=235)

Thank you.

Have you read Worm recently? :smallbiggrin:

I will neither confirm nor deny my love for wildbow's carefully crafted world, nor will I admit that I will be hiding bees in my hair and armor, nor will I admit that I will be attempting to get a bonus to intimidate by using my swarms to talk. I also will not admit to making swarm clones. I will, however, admit to using hellwasp swarms to fly down people throats to make them suffocate, because I did it way before Wildbow. I also had them burrow into people's flesh and hide in their veins to manipulate them like puppets. Besides, I'm 90% sure I can make sure no one ever says "Meh, I could take her".