PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Tree Shape and Channel Energy

FooBot
2014-02-05, 01:10 AM
Channeling energy is a supernatural ability that doesn't appear to have any verbal or somatic components. The text describing it does mention the presentation of your holy symbol, but that seems quite vague.
Wondering what the playground thinks of a cleric or oracle who has gotten access to the Tree Shape spell using it to turn into a giant tree of channeling holy energy with life links on all their comrades.

Talieth
2014-02-05, 08:36 AM
As the PRD say :
Oracles do not need to provide a divine focus to cast spells that list divine focus (DF) as part of the components.

So I guess an Oracle could channel while in tree form.
Also, there is a trait that give you a birthmark and allow you to use i as a divine focus. See with your GM if he can accept that in tree form.

grarrrg
2014-02-05, 10:35 AM
As the PRD say :

Oracles do not need to provide a divine focus to cast spells that list divine focus (DF) as part of the components.
So I guess an Oracle could channel while in tree form.

Channeling is not a spell, so this does not apply.

Channeling energy is a supernatural ability that doesn't appear to have any verbal or somatic components. The text describing it does mention the presentation of your holy symbol, but that seems quite vague.

Vague?
First sentence of Channel Energy:
"Regardless of alignment, any cleric can release a wave of energy by channeling the power of her faith through her holy (or unholy) symbol."
Last Sentence of Channel Energy:
"A cleric must be able to present her holy symbol to use this ability."

Tree Shape says:
"All clothing and gear carried or worn changes with you."

I'd say 'Tree Channeling' is a no for a Cleric.

As for Oracles (or anyone else with access to Channeling), they do not normally need Holy Symbols to do anything, so I'd say they are allowed to Channel regardless of form.

I may be wrong though, because pretty much every other Channeling ability says "as a Cleric", so maybe, by pure RAW, everyone EVER needs a Holy Symbol to Channel...

FooBot
2014-02-05, 11:50 AM
Thanks for the advice, it was mostly for a life oracle concept. Thought it might be cool to run to the middle of the fight and turn into a tree while healing everyone. Cleric was just included because Life oracles can channel "as clerics" I will certainly talk with my DM. Thanks for the advice.