PDA

View Full Version : Artificer (PF Alchemist Artchetype)

Krimm_Blackleaf
2014-02-05, 01:57 AM
Artificer (Alchemist Archetype)
http://i.imgur.com/wlam222.jpg
Brul Hammark and Shies, artificers.

Artificers are not content to fixate themselves exclusively on the crafting of alchemical substances and potions. Though their first steps on the road of artifice begin at potions and formulae, they eventually branch out and can create a panoply of magic items and forged goods.

Class Skills: An artificer removes Knowledge (nature) and Survival from their class skills and replaces them with Knowledge (engineering).

An artificer has the following class features.

Item Creation
The artificer treats their ranks in any Craft skill as an effective caster level for the purposes of qualifying for Item Creation feats and for prerequisites for making magic items. An artificer can use any spell in their formula book as though they were capable of casting it, even if that spell can't be made into a potion, for the purposes of the prerequisite spells for making magic items. Additionally, whenever an artificer receives an Item Creation feat during an artificer level, they gain a bonus spell in their formula book from the sorcerer/wizard spell list, so long as it is not a spell that is an alchemist formula, and does not exceed their maximum formula level. He can also learn spells from any other spellbook, whether for a formula on their list or just as a spell meant for item creation exclusively.
This ability replaces mutagen and throw anything.

Bonus Feats
An artificer is trained as a creator of magical items. At first level and every odd-numbered level afterward, they can take a bonus Item Creation feat that they qualify for. Once chosen, these feats cannot be changed or replaced.
This ability replaces bomb.

Artisan
An artificer is uniquely capable of crafting items both magical and mundane. At second level, they add half their artificer level to all Craft checks and one Profession skill(chosen at second level).
This ability replaces poison use, poison resistance and poison immunity.

An artificer adds the following discovery to their list.

Metamagic Spell Trigger (Su)
An artificer gains the ability to apply a metamagic feat they know to a spell trigger item (generally a wand). They must have the appropriate item creation feat for the spell trigger item he is using. Using this ability expends additional charges from the item equal to the number of effective spell levels the metamagic feat would add to the spell. An artificer cannot use this ability when using a spell trigger item that does not have charges, such as prayer beads.
This discovery can only be taken at 6th level or above.

Cardea
2014-02-05, 11:20 AM
I had a player asking if there was anything like the Artificer I could throw his way last time we played, and I said I was gonna go looking. Guess what I'm throwing at him now?

Amechra
2014-02-05, 12:16 PM
You're back, you beautiful, beautiful man!

Ahem. Excuse me. Anyway, It looks like a good port of the Artificer to Pathfinder; certainly better than Adamant Press' attempt.

Blue_C.
2014-02-05, 01:01 PM
You may consider adding some ability that lines up with the Use Magical Device skill. It may not be necessary, as this version of an artificer can simply learn spells and doesn't need to use that skill to recreate requisite spells, it was a pretty prominent part of my old Artificer's skill set.

Perhaps a high level discovery that duplicates the skill mastery ability from the original artificer (may take 10 on spellcraft and UMD checks, even if threatened)? Because using scrolls and wands is probably going to be the primary method in which these guys contribute to combat situations, so it'd make sense that they'd get really good at doing that after a while.

Alternatively, split the bonus, allow them to take 10 on UMD checks as the 2nd level ability when not threatened or rushed, and allow that later discovery to be able to do it during combat.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2014-02-05, 04:48 PM
You may consider adding some ability that lines up with the Use Magical Device skill. It may not be necessary, as this version of an artificer can simply learn spells and doesn't need to use that skill to recreate requisite spells, it was a pretty prominent part of my old Artificer's skill set.

Perhaps a high level discovery that duplicates the skill mastery ability from the original artificer (may take 10 on spellcraft and UMD checks, even if threatened)? Because using scrolls and wands is probably going to be the primary method in which these guys contribute to combat situations, so it'd make sense that they'd get really good at doing that after a while.

Alternatively, split the bonus, allow them to take 10 on UMD checks as the 2nd level ability when not threatened or rushed, and allow that later discovery to be able to do it during combat.

Yeah I had considered doing the old UMD to emulate requisite spells, but I felt with the formula book already there I could just make another 'have spells you can't use for anything but craft' and still not give you whatever you want.

I think a skill mastery discovery is a great idea, thank you. :smallsmile:

The Tygre
2014-02-07, 05:08 PM
I promised myself I wouldn't cry...

I was never good at keeping promises

WELCOME BACK!