PDA

View Full Version : Overcoming Damage reduction

beowulf_gr
2014-02-05, 03:18 AM
What ways are there to overcome damage reduction without having to get a new weapon every other encounter?
I know of the spells align weapon, magic weapon etc, DR x/magic and x/epic are straightforward but what about material DR. Are there any spells, items, feats that help to overcome it?

Forrestfire
2014-02-05, 03:20 AM
Metalline weapons can do Silver and Cold Iron, iirc. They might be able to do Adamantine. If you're using a projectile weapon, Force is a +2 enhancement in the MiC that makes all your shots ignore DR.

Skysaber
2014-02-05, 03:37 AM
There is a feat in one of the FR books that makes all of your natural attacks bypass DR/silver.

Sith_Happens
2014-02-05, 03:51 AM
Metalline Weapon, +2, MIC: Turn weapon into steel, adamantine, silver, or cold iron as a standard action. Can technically be applied to projectile weapons, but the result of doing so is obviously less than useful.

Transmuting Weapon, +2, MIC: After your first hit against a creature with DR, weapon gains all properties required to overcome that DR for 10 rounds or until you hit something with a different kind of DR.

Shadow Striking Weapon, +3, ToM: Weapon with metal striking surface only. Bypasses all DR.

Force, +2, MIC: Projectile weapon only. Bypasses all DR, projectiles become force effects.

Ring of Adamantine Touch, 6000 gp, MIC: All melee attacks are treated as adamantine for overcoming DR.

Gauntlets of Weaponry Arcane, 6000 gp, MIC: Any held weapon counts as both magic and silver for overcoming DR.

Lesser Fiendslayer Crystal, 3000 gp, MIC: Weapon counts as Good for overcoming DR.

Venger
2014-02-05, 04:01 AM
What ways are there to overcome damage reduction without having to get a new weapon every other encounter?
I know of the spells align weapon, magic weapon etc, DR x/magic and x/epic are straightforward but what about material DR. Are there any spells, items, feats that help to overcome it?

All spells that deal damage ignore DR, unless they explicitly state otherwise such as whirling blade. If your character can cast spells, that will ignore a creature's DR. Energy damage from other sources, such as vials of acid or alchemist's fire if you're playing at low levels also bypasses DR (assuming they're not immune/resistant to those types of course)

is there a specific monster or monsters you want tips on how to kill,or is it more of a catchall thing ?

beowulf_gr
2014-02-05, 04:20 AM
All spells that deal damage ignore DR, unless they explicitly state otherwise such as whirling blade

I know that. I was refering to spells such as magic weapon etc that someone else can cast on my weapon or me.

No it's a general question, I don't have something specific in mind, other than I hate the fact that I have a Gargantuan +6 Featherlight, Speed, Vampiric Greataxe that can't overcome a x/adamantine or sth DR. :tongue:

Raezeman
2014-02-05, 04:35 AM
sense weakness feat from draconomicon. It requires INT 13, combat expertise and weapon focus, and you then ignore up to 5 points of damage reduction with the weapon you have focus on.

AnonymousPepper
2014-02-05, 07:02 AM
I know that. I was refering to spells such as magic weapon etc that someone else can cast on my weapon or me.

No it's a general question, I don't have something specific in mind, other than I hate the fact that I have a Gargantuan +6 Featherlight, Speed, Vampiric Greataxe that can't overcome a x/adamantine or sth DR. :tongue:

Best way to do that for you is to have a Wizard/Artificer/etc. in the party dropping Magic Weapon/similar on your weapon to add Shadow Striking iirc

Spore
2014-02-05, 07:20 AM
You could houserule a part of Pathfinder in:

+1 weapons overcome DR/magic
+3 weapons overcome DR/Cold Iron or Silver
+5 weapons overcome DR/Alignment
+6 weapons overcome DR/epic

Basically having a +6 adamantine weapon is cutting through everything.

Sith_Happens
2014-02-05, 07:22 AM

*cough*:smalltongue: (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16932361&postcount=4)

Gwendol
2014-02-05, 07:26 AM

Learn how to hit really, really, hard then those pesky DR 5 or 10 will no longer matter.

beowulf_gr
2014-02-05, 07:38 AM
Thanks a lot for all the responses. I cannot believe I had missed the Transmuting Weapon ability. Thanks for that Sith. :smallsmile:
Now I only have to find a crafter with a CL high enough to enhance my axe. :tongue:

Khedrac
2014-02-05, 07:38 AM
And a simple vial of Silversheen will allow a weapon to overcome DRX/silver - but it also treats your weapon as silver and not whatever it is made of for the duration.

Yes this does mean -1 to damage.

Sith_Happens
2014-02-05, 07:59 AM
Thanks a lot for all the responses. I cannot believe I had missed the Transmuting Weapon ability. Thanks for that Sith. :smallsmile:
Now I only have to find a crafter with a CL high enough to enhance my axe. :tongue:

The ring + gauntlets + crystal will cover a large portion of cases for a lot less money.

beowulf_gr
2014-02-05, 09:21 AM
The ring + gauntlets + crystal will cover a large portion of cases for a lot less money.

True. However it will cost 3 magic item slots which could be filled instead with epic items. :smallconfused:

Red Fel
2014-02-05, 09:34 AM
True. However it will cost 3 magic item slots which could be filled instead with epic items. :smallconfused:

Two slots. A weapon augment crystal mounts on the weapon.

Person_Man
2014-02-05, 09:43 AM
It's also worth mentioning that in a a 3.5 context, a moderate investment of resources can yield a large increase in damage output. So it's usually not worth investing any resources in being able to bypass Damage Reduction, since it's easier to just get more damage in all circumstances. Though I generally do by adamantine magic weapons - though that's mostly to avoid Sunder problems.

Having said that, damage output in Pathfinder is generally tamer. (Though with the number of Pathfinder supplements out now, I'm sure it's starting to get out of hand as well). And to-hit bonuses also apply to Combat Maneuvers. So if your DM is fond of DR it's worth considering buying a +5 weapon, instead of a +1 weapon with +4 worth of named enhancements.

Sith_Happens
2014-02-05, 12:04 PM

Depends if your DM will let you stack the effects onto your existing items for a 50% convenience fee.

beowulf_gr
2014-02-05, 01:13 PM
Two slots. A weapon augment crystal mounts on the weapon.
Ok technically two slots but still. There other weapon crystals that are useful

So it's usually not worth investing any resources in being able to bypass Damage Reduction, since it's easier to just get more damage in all circumstances.

Yeah that's probably the thing to do. Unless someone comes up with a "goggles of rendering DR moot" or sth. :tongue:

Crake
2014-02-05, 01:53 PM
There are a plethora of maneuvers in ToB that overcome any kind of DR