PDA

View Full Version : Plane of Mirrors Questions

unseenmage
2014-02-05, 03:47 AM
I have some players playing through a mostly homebrewed Plane of Mirrors (MotP) adventure and I've run across some snags, but also some cool stuff.

The City of the Nerra?
I want to showcase a Plane of Mirrors Nerra (FF) city/network of communities. But I want to retain the feel and mechanical uniqueness of the Plane of Mirrors as it's presented.

You know how you can create the effect of a distant hallway by facing two mirrors towards each other? Imagine an entire Mirror Plane demiplane with that effect.
That was my first idea for how to create the space and size of a city while still having the Plane of Mirrors be navigated via it's signature hallways.

Just to Browse was kind enough to create this Nerra based Template and Race (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16924296&postcount=1140) which I intend to populate the city with. There will also be a multitude of Mirror Duplicates of various races and creatures as well. I'm also considering a faction of forgotten Simulacrums and Ice Assassins congregated here after being forgotten or discarded or even freed by their masters.

Darrin
2014-02-05, 05:54 AM
I'm also considering a faction of forgotten Simulacrums and Ice Assassins congregated here after being forgotten or discarded or even freed by their masters.

Tippy's Lost Legion.

Are you familiar with Donaldson's "Mirror of Her Dreams/A Man Rides Through"?

unseenmage
2014-02-05, 06:11 AM
Tippy's Lost Legion.

Are you familiar with Donaldson's "Mirror of Her Dreams/A Man Rides Through"?

No. No I am not. Should I be?

unseenmage
2014-03-19, 08:44 AM
So a friend helped me name the Nerra city. Lygys, City of Masks so named for the mirror masks worn by a Mirror Duplicate faction within the city.

The masks are anti divination items and also prevent other duplicates from identifying a duplicate who wears the mask as a duplicate on sight.

I was going to use a dragon I'd found on the WotC site who guarded a noble house of Waterdeep and scrys through the Plane of Mirrors for fun, but now I can't find the page. :smallfrown:

Other factions now include, a group of Mirror Duplicates dedicated to conquering the city, another group dedicated to conquering the outside planes, and a Mirror Duplicate Elder Brain who has enthralled it's original Elder Brain and is manipulating Mirror Duplicate factions to it's own ends.

There are also several factions of Nerra, each with their own philosophical role; much like the factions of Sigil.

The Mirror Duplicate Elder Brain and several other factions are all chasing a rumor of a lost god hidden away beneath the Nerra city.
The plot was to have the Mirror obsessed Dragon recruit the PCs using it's connection to it's pet noble house of Waterdeep. Dragon has heard about the lost deity and fears losing its precious mirrors if said deity is destroyed or awoken or whatever.

NichG
2014-03-19, 09:01 AM
So a friend helped me name the Nerra city. Lygys, City of Masks so named for the mirror masks worn by a Mirror Duplicate faction within the city.

So the Lady of Pain is a Nerra ex-patriate?

unseenmage
2014-03-19, 09:11 AM
So the Lady of Pain is a Nerra ex-patriate?

The friend who came up with the name is also quite the joker who delights in using his superior knowledge of stuff to trick me. I caught the Sigil/Lygys play on words though I might have missed something else entirely.

That said, what do you mean?

NichG
2014-03-19, 09:37 AM
Well, the Lygys/Sigil thing for one. The other though is that, if all the inhabitants wear masks, that seems referential to the Lady of Pain who is always visualized as having a mask-like face (possibly wearing a mask herself).

Edit: Alternately, if there are mirror factions and the like, the one person in the city not wearing a mask is the Lady's mirror double...

unseenmage
2014-03-19, 09:43 AM
Well, the Lygys/Sigil thing for one. The other though is that, if all the inhabitants wear masks, that seems referential to the Lady of Pain who is always visualized as having a mask-like face (possibly wearing a mask herself).

Edit: Alternately, if there are mirror factions and the like, the one person in the city not wearing a mask is the Lady's mirror double...

Ah, had forgotten about the Lady and her mask-like visage.
The mirror double of the Lady idea is neat, and I might steal it for some other project, but for this adventure/campaign arc it's out. The mechanics of the Plane of Mirrors have already been established to be those of the RAW and by RAW in order for the Lady to have a duplicate she'd need to leave Sigil for the Plane of Mirrors at some point. And if she left without the duplicate killing her it would cease to exist... Maybe a Clone of the Lady's duplicate? I dunno. Will definitely stash that idea away for later use though.

NichG
2014-03-19, 09:58 PM
Sigil is the mirror, and she is in it. If she leaves, her duplicate dies. This has some reason why it must not be, therefore Sigil is a cage...

Anyhow, I don't think it really makes sense :smallsmile:

Your friend may have been trying to sneak something in though.