PDA

View Full Version : Unseelie Agent Theme + Cold Blaster Wizard?

tadkins
2014-02-05, 04:49 AM
Been experimenting with some different build concepts and came across this theme in the builder. I'd just like to get a little clarification and make sure this actually works in the way I'm thinking it might.

1. The Shadow-Wrought Weapon can be used to create a quarterstaff. Is this quarterstaff considered a staff implement for a wizard, and can it be used to attack with wizard powers?

2. If this is a case, it seems to be like this could make for a good setup for a cold-focused blasting wizard. Feats like Student of Moil and Icy Heart, as well as the Wintertouched/Lasting Frost combo used in conjunction with the theme powers Cold Shadow Strike and Unleash Corruption looks like it could be pretty brutal. Thoughts on this one?

Gavran
2014-02-05, 05:06 AM
Hmm... that's a little gray. I'll note that a staff implement "can also function as a quarterstaff" but not explicitly the other way around. You could go Eladrin and use a Longsword and Eladrin Sword Wizardry as an alternative, if your DM doesn't go for it.

A Wizard is probably going to be altogether more powerful without a cold-focus and with a control focus, but I see nothing wrong with it. (It helps that I love the flavor.)

tadkins
2014-02-05, 05:11 AM
Hmm... that's a little gray. I'll note that a staff implement "can also function as a quarterstaff" but not explicitly the other way around. You could go Eladrin and use a Longsword and Eladrin Sword Wizardry as an alternative, if your DM doesn't go for it.

A Wizard is probably going to be altogether more powerful without a cold-focus and with a control focus, but I see nothing wrong with it. (It helps that I love the flavor.)

Part of me was debating whether this would work, just wanted to make sure if it did or not before moving forward with the idea.

Character's gotta be a gnome, so no-go on the eladrin thing unfortunately. That said, wouldn't a wizard still boast plenty of control even though they've invested a few of their feats into cold?

Gavran
2014-02-05, 05:15 AM
Oh absolutely, I was warning against choosing too many cold-focused powers, a few feats is fine. Just don't sacrifice things like Expertise and Enlarge Spell. I'd like to say it should definitely work (and feel a little silly for not thinking of it myself, though I happen to love Eladrin anyway) but I can't imagine many DMs would mind. It's not as if it were particularly overpowered, and a Wizard with some frost powers is actually less cheesy than using a Frost Weapon to get the combo on a rogue...

tadkins
2014-02-05, 05:24 AM
Oh absolutely, I was warning against choosing too many cold-focused powers, a few feats is fine. Just don't sacrifice things like Expertise and Enlarge Spell. I'd like to say it should definitely work (and feel a little silly for not thinking of it myself, though I happen to love Eladrin anyway) but I can't imagine many DMs would mind. It's not as if it were particularly overpowered, and a Wizard with some frost powers is actually less cheesy than using a Frost Weapon to get the combo on a rogue...

For sure. Was planning on getting Enlarge Spell along with a few of the cold-themed feats. Everyone gets a free expertise feat as a houserule in this upcoming game, so bonus there too. If the game gets far enough, the build will be focusing on taking Academy Master as the PP and Winter Sovereign as the ED. Should be a pretty fun and flavorful character.

Just a huge fan of gnomes here, which I'm sure you can understand as someone who likes Eladrin, so I'm basically working to get the most out of that with the concept I want. Even if a race like Genasi would make a far better blaster anyhow.

Kurald Galain
2014-02-05, 06:21 AM
Sorry but I don't think this is a very good combination.

Cold Shadow Strike is something you take instead of a wizard level-3 power, and the wizard has some excellent level-3 power. Then, CSS adds to melee and ranged attacks, but wizard blaster powers are almost without exception area attacks. The same applies to Unleash Corruption.

Instead of Student of Moil, just take Implement Expertise to get the same damage bonus to all your powers, and neither of the two stacks with Icy Heart.

To play a cold-focused wizard, I'd suggest taking cold powers like Freezing Burst, Icy Terrain, and Icy Rays (all of which offer control); and being a genasi so you can use Elemental Empowerment.

tadkins
2014-02-05, 06:37 AM
Sorry but I don't think this is a very good combination.

Cold Shadow Strike is something you take instead of a wizard level-3 power, and the wizard has some excellent level-3 power. Then, CSS adds to melee and ranged attacks, but wizard blaster powers are almost without exception area attacks. The same applies to Unleash Corruption.

Instead of Student of Moil, just take Implement Expertise to get the same damage bonus to all your powers, and neither of the two stacks with Icy Heart.

To play a cold-focused wizard, I'd suggest taking cold powers like Freezing Burst, Icy Terrain, and Icy Rays (all of which offer control); and being a genasi so you can use Elemental Empowerment.

Fair enough. :) I can scrap the Agent theme idea; plenty of other good ones to choose from!

Found this page while looking for build ideas and inspiration, and I've taken a few notes from him. http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2781816

My character's taken a few of the cold-descriptor powers, including the three you mentioned. A couple things I was intending to do differently from the above link was take Enlarge Spell and World Serpent Grasp, and possibly go with an Evocation Mage wizard instead of an Arcanist.

About the only thing that's really non-negotiable is that the character has to be a gnome. My apologies, but that's the one place I can't bend. xD

Kurald Galain
2014-02-05, 07:03 AM
About the only thing that's really non-negotiable is that the character has to be a gnome. My apologies, but that's the one place I can't bend. xD

Oh, but gnomes make great wizards, and their invis power is hilarious :smallbiggrin:

HOEC has some nice cold-related themes, if you want.

tadkins
2014-02-05, 07:07 AM
Oh, but gnomes make great wizards, and their invis power is hilarious :smallbiggrin:

HOEC has some nice cold-related themes, if you want.

Fey Origin too, so they can qualify for Winter Sovereign.

Heroes of the Elemental Chaos? I'll check that one out, thanks. :)