PDA

View Full Version : [PF] How to PLAY a Monk

Spore
2014-02-05, 08:02 AM
Greetings fellow playground,

I have created a Qigong/Ki Mystic Monk 9 as Catfolk (I know Wisdom penalty but the flavor was too strong). 18/14/14/12/18/9 with items (Str/Wis +2 items). I have Improved and Greater Grapple, and changed Wholeness of Body for Barkskin for 1 Ki Point and Feather Step for Slow Fall.

My current party is a Fire bloodline sorcerer and a Teleportation Wizard (with summoning) so I do not have to deal major damage. We have fought a battle (where I was busy impeding the enemies with grapples and reducing my damage taken) while the caster's clean up. I just feel like that is not a viable tactics in every fight. I have Elemental Fist and a +1 Shocking Amulet of Mighty fists but my DPR is still sub par. I still have High Jump for major shenanigangs with Acrobatics.

So far, I have ways to buff myself and deal moderate damage. I can disable casters but I fear big bad dudes. The archetypical resilient huge bruiser is an greater earth elemental to which I neither could deal good damage nor grapple with my +18 to Grapple CMB. Somehow the myth in my party has spread that MONKS ARE OVERPOWERED BECAUSE THEY CAN JUMP SO FAR! and the fact that we dealt with the CR 10 encounter (3x 9th level drow) quite well and we are closing in on the campaign finale (possibly fighting an Lich or TWO). The character is not part of the main group so I could see the DM killing him off but I want to offer as much resistance as possible.

Help me playground, my reputation as munchkin is at stake!

Bigbeefie
2014-02-05, 03:11 PM
If you took stunning fist and medusa's wrath @9th you could be doing more damage. Barkskin is the preemo Qing Gong ability....I recommend taking restoration if you can.....waves the Material componites being a spell like ability and allows you to "fix" yourself. I'm also a fan of Ki arrow or Scorching Ray over the feather fall. As ranged attacks tend to be a monks downfall. I buy adamantine/cold iron Arrows and fling them for 1 KI point over 2 for Scorching ray but both will go through Damage reduction.

Big bruisers tend to hurt monks but as you said you can really put a hurting on casters. That is truly what a monk is for beating down cloth wearing casters who can't seem to escape from them. The best bet you have against big bruisers is a hit and run tactic....If they do not get full round attacks or keep up with you they are done in a few rounds. As well as your group casters putting a hurt on them.

When I do a monk typically I focus the lighter armored people first. I tend to grapple, Stunning fist, or bull rush (into a wall, pit, cloud effect). I let the casters mentally dominate or Control the fighter types or let the real tank trade blows. A monk is a 2nd line fighter and not a tank by any means.

I'm also a huge fan of the first 2 Dragon style Feats....they add to your damage output and helps movement....also Qualifies you for Elemental fist which you can take instead of the 3rd Dragon style feat. SO you can end up with both Stunning fist and Elemental fist.

Spore
2014-02-05, 03:59 PM
I'm also a huge fan of the first 2 Dragon style Feats....they add to your damage output and helps movement....also Qualifies you for Elemental fist which you can take instead of the 3rd Dragon style feat. SO you can end up with both Stunning fist and Elemental fist.

This is what I actually did. Thanks for the insight on "kiting" huge enemies with my speed. I guess the two casters have to do some of the brutish work. I will recommend the summoning wizard to prepare some tanky creatures to take some beating.

(Un)Inspired
2014-02-05, 04:03 PM
You... Want to be know as a munchkin...?

Lord Vukodlak
2014-02-05, 04:11 PM
Oh yeah Medusa's wrath is a fun feat, also remember the slow spell causes the staggered condition in PF. So ask the one of the caster's to pick up the spell aside from being a decent debuff its doubly effective when your there to add damage.

I agree with Bigbeefie about the first two dragon style feats not only is the extra damage nice but making foes who fail against your stunning fist shaken and being able to charge through rough terrain is nice.

About your amulet of mighty fist, punting any +X enchantment bonus on it is a complete waste of money. Its not required as a prequistie for special abilities unlike with weapons. Its better to get an allied caster to use greater magic weapon on you instead, freeing up your amulet for use with purely special abilities. In physical combat however there isn't much you can do against something with a high DR of /— but if most of your foes are evil aligned holy is the way to go before anything else.

One feat to consider is punishing kick, it works a lot like stunning fist(almost exactly like stunning fist) but instead you can either push the opponent back 5ft(no save but only into a safe place the subject can stand) or on a failed fortitude save(stunning fist formula) knock them prone. As a monk it will be usable 1/day per level giving you two opportunities to hinder foes knocking them prone might not be as good as stunning or staggering them but it does give you a bonus to hit on your following attacks.

Spore
2014-02-05, 06:04 PM
You... Want to be know as a munchkin...?

It's more of an inside joke. I had a phase where I rebuilt my rogue several times in hopes that the class can be capable of TWF mobile melee combat. Nope, it cannot do that ^^

@ Medusa

Can I take it on 10 without prereqs?

NightbringerGGZ
2014-02-05, 07:22 PM
I'm playing a 5th level Maneuver Master that I'm having a blast with (partially because he's themed after Hulk Hogan). I also opted for the Dragon Style feat chain, as the the bonus damage to my strikes and DC increases on Stunning Fist were too good to pass up.

I also have had trouble getting maneuvers to hit large or huge critters, I was pretty much useless against a customized Fire Elemental the party fought. I'm planning on asking for size-increasing party buffs to combat that though.

Against Big Bruisers in general, I've found a Stunning Fist to be the best option. I actually managed to stun a dragon the party fought, and I've landed a Stun/Trip combo on some large humanoids. Both times the rest of the party was able to crush the target as a result. See if your GM would let you take the Ability Focus feat to boost your Stunning Fist DC further like mine did. =)

Lord Vukodlak
2014-02-05, 08:00 PM
@ Medusa

Can I take it on 10 without prereqs?
Nope you can skip them when it comes to the bonus feats

A monk need not have any of the prerequisites normally required for these feats to select them.

Spore
2014-02-06, 03:18 AM
Nope you can skip them when it comes to the bonus feats

Great so if he is the Monk who lives he will get either Medusas Wrath or Ability Focus Stunning Fist.

Bigbeefie
2014-02-06, 05:25 AM
Great so if he is the Monk who lives he will get either Medusas Wrath or Ability Focus Stunning Fist.

I recommend Medusas wrath as your bonus feat....ability focus isnt on the Level 10 bonus feat chart thus you cant pick it.

But as a 11th level feat if he makes it that far could be ability focus. If he doesnt allow monster feats by Core races I recommend:

Mantis Style (Combat, Style)
You have learned to target vital areas with crippling accuracy.

Prerequisite: Improved Unarmed Strike, Stunning Fist, Heal 3 ranks.

Benefit: You gain one additional Stunning Fist attempt per day. While using this style, you gain a +2 bonus to the DC of effects you deliver with your Stunning Fist.

The rest of Mantis style kinda blows to waste feats on it. But the First step is not too bad if you Can not take ability focus.

Spore
2014-02-06, 06:31 AM
I am not hugely planning out that character since the whole campaign is almost finished anyway. If we reach 11th level (by DM fiat because we need the characters on an even level in the finale) then we will close it with 11/12th level.