PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Throwing Weapon Build?

tzar1990
2014-02-05, 09:23 AM
Is there a way to create a good build, using only pathfinder materials?

I've been thinking about it for a while, but it just seems to have a lot of flaws- You need STR for damage and DEX to hit. You have to either buy lots of enchanted weapons, or else get something with Returning and only hit once per round. Your range increment is small, so you'll either be taking more penalties for distance, or be pretty much in melee range anyways!

The only decent build I can think of would be a Ninja spamming shuriken with Flurry of Stars and Invisible blade, but even that doesn't really come online until level 10, at which point a lot of things will be able to see through invisibility anyways.

Do you guys know of anything else that might work?

evilserran
2014-02-05, 11:20 AM
you do not need dex to hit... get powerful throw. Use your strength for both! Furthermore, fast draw allows you to use thrown attacks ittiteratively (fcked that word up i think). Range incrememnts can be affected by magic powers and a few feats, but yes it is a bit limited. Some throwing weapons can be used in melee, and if you use powerful throw you are stil strength focused, so just smash them with the handaxe in your hand, or the throwing dagger. Shurikens? NO! sucky damage, ignore them. Check out master thrower prestige as well. Throwing IS viable. Somewhere floating around is a funny thread on a character that throws only rocks and it's actually VIABLE!

tzar1990
2014-02-05, 02:41 PM
Unfortunately, there is no "Powerful Throw" feat or rage power in Pathfinder. Similarily, "Master Thrower" is 3.5, not PF.

I know quick draw lets you get iteratives with throwing weapons - But it DOESN'T let youmake iteratives with a single weapon (not even with the "returning" enchantment. And given that enchanting most thrown weapoms costs as much as enchanting melee weapons, youll either have to spend WAY too much on multiple (like, 3 or 4 at least) enchanted weapons, or else use cheap ****ty weapons while everyone else is swinging something better.

Normally, i wouldn't suggest shuriken, but they're decent on a ninja, since you get Sneak Attack on every hit, and Flurry of Stars lets them get a ton of them out per round. Combine that with invisible blade, and you'll get tons of attacks from invisibility for just tons of sneak attack.

Bigbeefie
2014-02-05, 02:56 PM
An alchemist makes a good throwing class. Get to chunk Bombs and other things.

As far as returning you can buy a wand of returning weapon and enchant all your daggers up to your max throwing limit and those same daggers will return the following round. It cost less this way then it does to enchant all of them with it. Typically i would just suggest buying daggers, using wands of Greater magic Weapon and Returning. You will save money this way over buying Multiple +3 Returning daggers.

Just my thoughts.

Ailowynn
2014-02-05, 05:17 PM
I think that there is a feat in UC or APG that gives you Strength to hit with thrown...

Also, a throwing weapon (like a throwing axe) will be better at low levels, but shuriken count as ammunition for the purpose of enchantment, so they'll be much better later on (much cheaper to enchant).

NightbringerGGZ
2014-02-05, 08:05 PM
Other than an Alchemist build, which uses powerful bombs and adds Int to damage, not really.

You can do a decent Barb build, but would be better off with a Longbow or just going melee.

zimmerwald1915
2014-02-05, 08:10 PM
I think that there is a feat in UC or APG that gives you Strength to hit with thrown...
I'm aware of no such feat, but Ultimate Equipment contains the Lesser and Greater Belts of Mighty Hurling (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/a-b/belt-of-mighty-hurling), which boost Strength and add it to ranged attacks with thrown weapons.

Mythic Adventures and Mythic Origins also contains some decent path abilities for throwers. For example, there's a Champion path ability that removes a weapon's maximum range, meaning if you can reduce your range increment penalty to hit low enough you can effectively hit any target at any distance you want.

Unfortunately, a lot of the other thrower-intended path abilities are in the Trickster path because that was the path the designers predicted Alchemists would take, but there you go.

Gabe the Bard
2014-02-05, 08:26 PM
The Dual Path mythic feat allows you to select path abilities from two different paths. However, the problem with mythic would be in how your DM adjudicates becoming mythic in the first place, or whether the DM would allow it at all.

zimmerwald1915
2014-02-05, 08:30 PM
The Dual Path mythic feat allows you to select path abilities from two different paths.
True. And the Trickster path ability Path Dabbling allows you to take a path ability from other paths (although it can only be taken once). Both are taxes though.

However, the problem with mythic would be in how your DM adjudicates becoming mythic in the first place, or whether the DM would allow it at all.
Well yes, but getting past the GM is a problem any character option has. Doesn't mean we on the forum can't collectively suggest every option we can think of in the hopes of finding something that sticks.

Beowulf DW
2014-02-05, 09:08 PM
Certain barbarian archetypes might help. Maybe a level or two of fighter for the feats, then use Two-weapon fighting and throwing starknives/chakrams? Pump Dex and then use Rage to boost Strength, perhaps?

The big question for me would be the issue of formation. Where exactly do you belong using this fighting style? The frontline? Secondary Frontline? You certainly don't have the range to be all the way in the back.

VexingFool
2014-02-06, 12:58 AM
A Blinkback belt could save you some money on weapon enchanting. At least you would not have to get returning put on everything.