PDA

View Full Version : heartwarden spell penetration abuse?

CyberThread
2014-02-05, 11:54 AM
Heartwarden has this as an effect.

Verbal spells gain spell focus enchantment and spell penetration FEATS

Does this possible typo give someone the spell penetration feat chain in one level?

nedz
2014-02-05, 12:10 PM
Heartwarder
Requirements
Alignment: Chaotic good.
Skills: Bluff 3 ranks , Diplomacy 6 ranks , Speak Language (Sylvan) 1 ranks
Feats: Dodge , Mobility , Spell Focus (Enchantment) , Exotic Weapon Proficiency (whip)
Base Save Bonus: Ref +2.
Spells: Ability to cast 3rd-level spells.

Voice of a Siren (Su): At 6th level, a heartwarder's voice is so enticing that she weakens the ability of opponents to resist her spells. She gains the Spell Focus (Enchantment) and Spell Penetration feats, but they only apply to spells with a verbal component (and are not altered with the Silent Spell feat).
I'm not seeing your typo ?
It just lists two feats.
I do see that the class requires Spell Focus (Enchantment), and then (situationally) grants it.
It's also 3.0 FWIW

CyberThread
2014-02-05, 01:50 PM
Spell Penetration feats

nedz
2014-02-05, 02:30 PM
Spell Focus (Enchantment) and Spell Penetration feats

Aracor
2014-02-05, 02:57 PM
I agree with nedz. You don't get greater penetration or anything else. There is no typo.

Phelix-Mu
2014-02-05, 03:08 PM
1.) Spell Focus= First Feat

2.) Spell Penetration = Second Feat

If you take 1 and 2, you get feats, plural, since there are two of them.

TuggyNE
2014-02-05, 07:31 PM
Spell Focus (Enchantment) and Spell Penetration feats

To put it another way, "She gains the feats Spell Focus (Enchantment) and Spell Penetration" etc. This phrasing, while a little unusual, is perhaps less confusing.

Vaz
2014-02-05, 07:38 PM
On that note, would Greater Spell Penetration (chosen as a normal feat) apply to all spells, or just those for Voice of the Siren.

i.e +0, because Voice of the Siren doesn't apply to non qualifying spells and so cannot benefit from the feats without applying them to the spells, +2 because only GSP qualifies, or +4 because GSP stacks with Voice of the Siren.

The latter I'm utterly discounting, but kept it in for sake of completiion.

ZamielVanWeber
2014-02-05, 10:08 PM
As far as I can tell:
GSP applies to ALL spells, and would stack with SP on spells affected by voice of the siren. (So +2/+4 as appropriate).

nedz
2014-02-05, 10:46 PM
As far as I can tell:
GSP applies to ALL spells, and would stack with SP on spells affected by voice of the siren. (So +2/+4 as appropriate).

Seems correct to me. You can take GSP because you have SP, but they apply separately and stack where appropriate.