PDA

View Full Version : Necromancer Prestige Classes

Regis_is_a_bro
2014-02-05, 01:46 PM
Hi all,
I'm playing a Death Master in an upcoming campaign, and was wondering what all your opinions were on the best prestige classes for Necromancers?
Thanks in advance.

Croix
2014-02-05, 01:52 PM
Arcane Casting PrCs remain the best choice for Arcane casters of any color. Ditto to Divine Caster and Divine Caster PrC. There really isn't a better prestige for any that gives any real meaningful gain that I've ran across, and mind you I played a Dread Necromancer, the king of undeath.

-edit-

But this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214212) handbook gives some Prestige Classes for the flavor.

Regis_is_a_bro
2014-02-05, 02:08 PM
Yeah, I've looked at a lot of Necromancer PrC's and there doesn't seem to be anything really worth it.

Croix
2014-02-05, 02:11 PM
That's because there really isn't unfortunately.

Regis_is_a_bro
2014-02-05, 02:18 PM
So what would just be some prestige classes that would benefit a class like the Death Master? Both flavour-wise, and in terms of how much better the PrC would actually improve the character.

Phelix-Mu
2014-02-05, 02:33 PM
I'm a big fan of Dread Witch, from Heroes of Horror. It doesn't improve the undead-schtick, but it can add lots of fear capabilities and bypass fear immunities, which give access to a powerful useful set of debuffs for supporting your minionmancy.

Coidzor
2014-02-05, 07:34 PM
You want a necromancer prestige class worth spit, you've gotta go to homebrew. Pale Master can sometimes be interesting, just for the infinite masses angle. But then, you can do that with spell-stitching.

Keld Denar
2014-02-05, 07:44 PM
Yea, Pale Master is pretty bad, but it does give Animate Dead as a SLA. SLA's by nature don't require material components (or any components) which can end up saving you a small fortune in Onyx over the course of a long game.

You could get the same thing by being undead and Spellstitching yourself, or Spellstitching an animated minion that you keep protected. Either will get you hoards of undead over time.

OldTrees1
2014-02-05, 08:53 PM
Pale Master 2 is one of the few ways to not pay gold for undead.

Red Wizard 5 (Requires Human and Wizard as your 1st level) is one of the easiest ways to boost your undead pool at mid levels (10ish+)