PDA

View Full Version : Grenade Crossbow (3.5)

D4rkh0rus
2014-02-05, 03:51 PM
Is there any way to make a crossbow launch an electricity charged bolt that on impact, it explodes releasing a spell (say a fireball, or a thunder based spell...)

Is doing this feasible? (in terms of money as well).

SoraWolf7
2014-02-05, 04:31 PM
If you're looking to put spells INTO you ammo, there's the spell-storing enchantment, which puts up to a 3rd level spell into your ammo, but you have to cast each spell for each arrow, which can take a long time and possibly prep-time.

The cheaper alternative is just putting enchantments on your crossbow like Shocking Burst and Thundering, but that's still not quite what you're looking for, mostly because that only triggers on critical hits.

I've also heard of using Explosive Runes on an arrowhead with an easy-to-break material, and just firing them at the opponent's square.

D4rkh0rus
2014-02-05, 04:35 PM
If you're looking to put spells INTO you ammo, there's the spell-storing enchantment, which puts up to a 3rd level spell into your ammo, but you have to cast each spell for each arrow, which can take a long time and possibly prep-time.

The cheaper alternative is just putting enchantments on your crossbow like Shocking Burst and Thundering, but that's still not quite what you're looking for, mostly because that only triggers on critical hits.

I've also heard of using Explosive Runes on an arrowhead with an easy-to-break material, and just firing them at the opponent's square.
Explosive rune can work...

Dming For Noobs
2014-02-05, 05:25 PM
Well, in Dungeonscape, they have a wand retainer capsule, which allows you to store a wand in a weapon. You could put a wand of, say fireball, and just activate the wand to shoot fireballs from a crossbow.

Maginomicon
2014-02-05, 06:00 PM
{table=head]Name | Price | Weight | Location | Summary
Arrow, alchemist's | 75gp | 0.2 lbs. | AEG p5 | Deals +1d4 fire damage 1 round later. |
Arrow, thunder | 75gp | 8 oz. | DrC p110 | As a thunderstone, misses like a grenade; Decreases bow's range increment by 20 ft. |[/table]

There's also the Zap Trap cantrip.
Zap Trap

Conjuration (Creation) [Electricity]
Level: Bard 0, cleric 0, sorcerer/wizard 0
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: Touch
Effect: One rune about 3 inches in diameter
Duration: Permanent or until discharged
Saving Throw: Reflex negates
Spell Resistance: No

Zap Trap creates a rune 3 inches in diameter that can be traced on any surface.

The next person to touch the rune gets an electrical shock for 1 point of damage. The symbol is faint and silver in color. Detecting the faint rune requires a DC 20 Search check.

Material Component: 1gp worth of powdered silver.

If you can convince your GM to allow you to inlay the powdered silver on a crossbow bolt, then there you go.

D4rkh0rus
2014-02-05, 06:00 PM
Well, in Dungeonscape, they have a wand retainer capsule, which allows you to store a wand in a weapon. You could put a wand of, say fireball, and just activate the wand to shoot fireballs from a crossbow.

But can a wand of fireball deal decent dmg once it outlives its usefulness? (im thinking of an artificer so I can apply metamagic to it.)

Maginomicon
2014-02-05, 06:02 PM
But can a wand of fireball deal decent dmg once it outlives its usefulness?
Suuuuuure it can. Just load the now-chargeless wand like it's a crossbow bolt. :smallamused:

D4rkh0rus
2014-02-05, 06:05 PM
Suuuuuure it can. Just load the now-chargeless wand like it's a crossbow bolt. :smallamused:

I mean like by lvl 12 or 13. when fireball at Wand CL isn't that great...

Valwyn
2014-02-05, 06:23 PM
You could pay extra to increase the CL of the wand.

Also, not exactly what you wanted, but a 2-level dip in Arcane Archer will let you cast any spell through your arrows. You could shoot arrows with a Lightning Bolt attached, but I think most people would prefer to shoot AMFs.

D4rkh0rus
2014-02-05, 06:26 PM
You could pay extra to increase the CL of the wand.

Also, not exactly what you wanted, but a 2-level dip in Arcane Archer will let you cast any spell through your arrows. You could shoot arrows with a Lightning Bolt attached, but I think most people would prefer to shoot AMFs.

Im gonna be using it for a human artificer19/fighter (targeteer) 1... so the cost shouldn't be too high.

Snowbluff
2014-02-05, 06:42 PM
{table=head]Name | Price | Weight | Location | Summary
Arrow, alchemist's | 75gp | 0.2 lbs. | AEG p5 | Deals +1d4 fire damage 1 round later. |
Arrow, thunder | 75gp | 8 oz. | DrC p110 | As a thunderstone, misses like a grenade; Decreases bow's range increment by 20 ft. |[/table]

Complete Warrior has the Explosive property. I came across it while making a gunlance.