PDA

View Full Version : Laurin is an Elan.

Socksy
2014-02-05, 04:44 PM
And someone will yell "Elan!" when both she and the bard are within earshot, and confusion will ensue.

Perhaps part of her favour is to either make Tarquin give her either a magical disguise item he owns, so she won't have to use make-up to keep 'aging' at a normal rate (About 99% sure Disguise is a cross-class skill for nomads)...

... or she wants him to tell her daughter/whoever else other than the Laurinear Guild that she died, of old age or in battle, again, so that she doesn't have to keep 'aging'. Perhaps both, in case someone sees her who thinks she should be dead.

It would fit in with the 'the favour can be resolved tonight' type thing, too.

Anyway, this isn't really about her favour, it's about species. Another thing supporting it is her comments about the elves- they live about 700 years naturally, whereas she would have had to undergo a likely horrific and agonizing procedure - becoming an abberation - in order to get the same sort of time frame to hone her powers. (Also, anyone else think she looks rather Ancient Egyptian/Greek? I could totally see her chilling with Cleopatra. It would be possible with some sort of life-extending items and the Extended Lifespan feat, or Ancient Egypt could be not-quite-so-ancient relative to OotS-time. Those white lines in her hair could be from melted wax for all we know, although it seems highly unlikely.)

Any thoughts on the matter which completely support my awful argument?

thereaper
2014-02-06, 03:17 AM
:roach: Seems plausible enough.

Vinyadan
2014-02-06, 03:32 AM
And someone will yell "Elan!" when both she and the bard are within earshot, and confusion will ensue.

Perhaps part of her favour is to either make Tarquin give her either a magical disguise item he owns, so she won't have to use make-up to keep 'aging' at a normal rate (About 99% sure Disguise is a cross-class skill for nomads)...

... or she wants him to tell her daughter/whoever else other than the Laurinear Guild that she died, of old age or in battle, again, so that she doesn't have to keep 'aging'. Perhaps both, in case someone sees her who thinks she should be dead.

It would fit in with the 'the favour can be resolved tonight' type thing, too.

Anyway, this isn't really about her favour, it's about species. Another thing supporting it is her comments about the elves- they live about 700 years naturally, whereas she would have had to undergo a likely horrific and agonizing procedure - becoming an abberation - in order to get the same sort of time frame to hone her powers. (Also, anyone else think she looks rather Ancient Egyptian/Greek? I could totally see her chilling with Cleopatra. It would be possible with some sort of life-extending items and the Extended Lifespan feat, or Ancient Egypt could be not-quite-so-ancient relative to OotS-time. Those white lines in her hair could be from melted wax for all we know, although it seems highly unlikely.)

Any thoughts on the matter which completely support my awful argument?

I'd like that, but I think it would feel really similar to a lich, and there already is one of those.

Socksy
2014-02-06, 03:43 AM
Can you elaborate on an Elan having the feeling of a lich? I thought Grim Psions were the nearest equivalent. Much curious. Many lich.

ti'esar
2014-02-06, 03:47 AM
Can you elaborate on an Elan having the feeling of a lich? I thought Grim Psions were the nearest equivalent. Much curious. Many lich.

I think mainly from this bit: "undergo a likely horrific and agonizing procedure - becoming an abberation in order to get the same sort of time frame to hone her powers.".

Although personally, if I was seriously considering this idea and I wanted to raise the objection that it was repetitive, I'd consider Malack a much better character to bring up.

Socksy
2014-02-06, 03:59 AM
Fair enough.
And yeah, we've got lots of sentient undead, demons, and the like.

ti'esar
2014-02-06, 04:26 AM
I meant more that Malack was an ageless formerly-humanoid caster on Team Probably-Not-Actually-Tarquin who concealed his true appearance.

Niknokitueu
2014-02-06, 09:39 AM
If you have a problem of her possible lack of aging, maybe Rich gave her a psionic version of this (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/wizard/archetypes/paizo---wizard-archetypes/arcane-discoveries/immortality)?

Makes as much sense as anything else.

Have Fun!
Niknokitueu
ps. About 20 years ago I played an effectively immortal 2nd ed AD&D mage at a far lower level. Had some spell along the lines of 'ageless grace' (didn't age for 24 hrs) that was 'semi-permanenced' (lasts up to 12 years). The last time I played him he had been effectively in retirement for several centuries...

NerdyKris
2014-02-06, 11:03 AM
I'm completely confused. Where is this "Laurin doesn't want to age" thing coming from? Because her hair hasn't turned grey yet? She might be younger than Tarquin.

Kish
2014-02-06, 11:31 AM
I'm completely confused. Where is this "Laurin doesn't want to age" thing coming from? Because her hair hasn't turned grey yet? She might be younger than Tarquin.
Socksy's proposing the opposite: That Laurin is an immortal who wants to appear to age like a human so that her secret doesn't get out, or alternatively to fake her death so that she can change to a new identity before her daughter and associates can get really suspicious about her still looking like she did decades ago.

(The evidence for this is, of course, nonexistent. But that still puts it in the upper tenth percentile of theories on this board; average is "a ton of evidence against and no evidence for.")

Socksy
2014-02-06, 12:21 PM
Socksy's proposing the opposite: That Laurin is an immortal who wants to appear to age like a human so that her secret doesn't get out, or alternatively to fake her death so that she can change to a new identity before her daughter and associates can get really suspicious about her still looking like she did decades ago.

(The evidence for this is, of course, nonexistent. But that still puts it in the upper tenth percentile of theories on this board; average is "a ton of evidence against and no evidence for.")

Indeed. Also, heck yes, top 10%

sengmeng
2014-02-08, 11:36 AM
It doesn't seem likely. She seemed just as dismissive of narrative conventions as Miron.It's a joke.

Gift Jeraff
2014-02-08, 11:41 AM
She's actually a polymorphed belker.

SaintRidley
2014-02-08, 11:41 AM
What is this "Egypt" you speak of? (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0209.html)

Socksy
2014-02-08, 02:38 PM
What is this "Egypt" you speak of? (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0209.html)

Gah! You have a point!
Must have been all those pyramids making me think it existed... :smalltongue: