PDA

View Full Version : Are constructs immune to Hexes?

graeylin
2014-02-05, 10:43 PM
Pretty simple question, probably answered a dozen times.

Constructs are immune to mind affecting effects, and there's a list in the srd of things like charms, compulsions, etc.. However, hexes are not mentioned.

Is the misfortune hex a mind affecting effect? Or a body affecting effect? It seems like it depends on what it's impacting (some skills are mental, others are physical). I can see that Slumber hex would NOT work, since constructs are immune to sleep effects (regardless of source, it would seem).

Thoughts?

MightyPirate
2014-02-06, 09:47 AM
Hexes will say if they're mind effecting. Evil Eye is for example, Misfortune is not.

That said many constructs are immune to magic. This would include hexes and all other spells, supernatural and spell-like abilities. Check individual creatures as it's not actually mixed in with the construct traits.

Zanos
2014-02-06, 09:59 AM
That said many constructs are immune to magic. This would include hexes and all other spells, supernatural and spell-like abilities. Check individual creatures as it's not actually mixed in with the construct traits.
Golems are typically only immune to spells/SLAs that allow for SR. Since Supernatural Abilities never check for SR, they are not immune to any of them.

Psyren
2014-02-06, 10:08 AM
That said many constructs are immune to magic. This would include hexes and all other spells, supernatural and spell-like abilities.

Actually, most construct magic immunity works like spell resistance, meaning that supernatural abilities (including hexes and alchemist bombs) do affect them.

Zombimode
2014-02-06, 10:27 AM
Constructs are immune to mind affecting effects, and there's a list in the srd of things like charms, compulsions, etc.. However, hexes are not mentioned

What is a "hex"? I don't recognize the term in the context of D&D.

But it shouldn't matter. For any effect it is noted in the description if it is mind-affecting.

Psyren
2014-02-06, 10:28 AM
What is a "hex"? I don't recognize the term in the context of D&D.

But it shouldn't matter. For any effect it is noted in the description if it is mind-affecting.

It's from Pathfinder - special class abilities of the Witch. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/witch)

graeylin
2014-02-06, 11:38 AM
thanks guys (and gals)!

MightyPirate
2014-02-06, 12:03 PM
Where does it say that spell immunity as a monster trait is treated as per the spell? All I can find in the Universal Monster Rules is that it makes them immune to magic which hexes explicitly are.

I'm also a little confused how it interacts with magic items and the like. Pardon my tacking extra questions in here but I have an interest in making a caster who specializes in crafted minions and it would be handy to know the ins and outs of golems a bit better.

Crake
2014-02-06, 12:15 PM
Where does it say that spell immunity as a monster trait is treated as per the spell? All I can find in the Universal Monster Rules is that it makes them immune to magic which hexes explicitly are.

I'm also a little confused how it interacts with magic items and the like. Pardon my tacking extra questions in here but I have an interest in making a caster who specializes in crafted minions and it would be handy to know the ins and outs of golems a bit better.

It say's it right in the creature entry? For example, clay golem says "Immune to Magic (Ex) A clay golem is immune to any spell or spell-like ability that allows spell resistance." It then goes on to mention certain spells that affect it differently.