PDA

View Full Version : Please help with this (very) general build idea

Immabozo
2014-02-06, 03:22 AM
I remember there was a while back that I read about a build using those psionic squid faced guys (Ulathids? Illithids?) and level 10 of war hullk and sources of reach to grapple everyone in 20 feet and simultaneously suck out everyone's brains.

Is the build, able to do that? Illathid and war hulk level 10 mixed with sources of reach?

Crake
2014-02-06, 06:42 AM
I remember there was a while back that I read about a build using those psionic squid faced guys (Ulathids? Illithids?) and level 10 of war hullk and sources of reach to grapple everyone in 20 feet and simultaneously suck out everyone's brains.

Is the build, able to do that? Illathid and war hulk level 10 mixed with sources of reach?

Illithids (more colloquially known as Mind flayers) are ECL 15 monsters on their own, so that plus 10 levels of warhulk alone makes you ECL 25. Plus, you can at best extract 1 brain every 2 rounds, since you need to attach all of your tentacles to the target (a full round action) then the next round succeed on a grapple check.

So you aren't gonna be grappling and eating the brains of multiple creatures simultaneous, if that's what you envisioned.

Immabozo
2014-02-06, 11:58 AM
Illithids (more colloquially known as Mind flayers) are ECL 15 monsters on their own, so that plus 10 levels of warhulk alone makes you ECL 25. Plus, you can at best extract 1 brain every 2 rounds, since you need to attach all of your tentacles to the target (a full round action) then the next round succeed on a grapple check.

So you aren't gonna be grappling and eating the brains of multiple creatures simultaneous, if that's what you envisioned.

right, but I swear I saw this build a little while back, maybe mixed with a feat to make it so your tentacles count as weapons that can hit all squares with each attack. I know RAI says no, but RAW says yes, I do believe.

And I know this is not a viable player option, just funny

Particle_Man
2014-02-06, 05:52 PM
There is a feat tree that lets a humanoid get the tentacles and the like. Maybe that is the way to go, to save on LA/racial HD issues?

Eldariel
2014-02-06, 06:14 PM
Probably just using Polymorph Any Object. It could certainly be done in any number of ways. But yeah, taking actual levels in Illithid race is kinda silly since Level Adjustment is borked.

Immabozo
2014-02-06, 06:58 PM
PAO would be a good way to do it!

There is a feat tree that lets a humanoid get the tentacles and the like. Maybe that is the way to go, to save on LA/racial HD issues?

do you know where this feat is?

Nihilarian
2014-02-06, 09:15 PM
Complete Psionic.

Immabozo
2014-02-06, 11:16 PM
Complete Psionic.

For the face tentacles feat?

Nihilarian
2014-02-06, 11:29 PM
For the face tentacles feat?As I recall, it was a series of feats, but yes.

Immabozo
2014-02-07, 01:15 AM
As I recall, it was a series of feats, but yes.

Thanks! damn minimum character limit

Sian
2014-02-07, 01:40 AM
for that to work you'd have to have

Illithid Heritage
Illithid Tentacle
Illithid Tentacle
Illithid Tentacle
Illithid Tentacle
Illithid Extraction

and can't be taken with Fighter feats
... From there i'd probably guess your memory means Bloodstorm Blade 10, with their Bladestorm, where a melee weapon attack everything in throwing range

Immabozo
2014-02-07, 03:43 AM
... From there i'd probably guess your memory means Bloodstorm Blade 10, with their Bladestorm, where a melee weapon attack everything in throwing range

I'll check out the feats. Bloodstorm Blade is an interesting one! But I was thinking War Hulk because I doubt you can grapple (and thus de-brain) targets outside you reach

Sian
2014-02-07, 06:01 AM
Silly RaW tells you that Grapple replaces an attack with a Melee (touch) Attack with an Unarmed Strike, Unarmed strike counts as manufactured weapon (specified as such with Monks, and depending on your argument hence with everyone), the whole point with Bloodstorm Blade is that you use Melee weapons as thrown, and do melee attacks at a range :) ... hence Silly Logic leads the the fact that you can use Bloodstorm Blade for normal grapple checks at a distance (since its commonly argeed that

And from This article (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fc/20060707a) (buttom, discussing a +1 throwing, returning Necklace of Natural Weapons) we know that Unarmed attack can in fact be thrown in the first place :)

that said ... using a Mancatcher as a Bloodstorm Blade might actually do the same deal with less silly ruling (but still not without)

Immabozo
2014-02-07, 11:32 AM
Silly RaW tells you that Grapple replaces an attack with a Melee (touch) Attack with an Unarmed Strike, Unarmed strike counts as manufactured weapon (specified as such with Monks, and depending on your argument hence with everyone), the whole point with Bloodstorm Blade is that you use Melee weapons as thrown, and do melee attacks at a range :) ... hence Silly Logic leads the the fact that you can use Bloodstorm Blade for normal grapple checks at a distance (since its commonly argeed that

And from This article (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fc/20060707a) (buttom, discussing a +1 throwing, returning Necklace of Natural Weapons) we know that Unarmed attack can in fact be thrown in the first place :)

that said ... using a Mancatcher as a Bloodstorm Blade might actually do the same deal with less silly ruling (but still not without)

wow, ok, that is stupid silly. Mixed with Hulking Hurler might make some silly synergy!!

Sian
2014-02-07, 11:39 AM
unless you want to throw with heavy stuff (say boulders) I'm not sold on Hulking Hurler bringing anything to the table ...

What does bring something might be Ranged Weapon Mastery in PHBII (needing Weapon Specialization, which Bloodblade6 qualifies for) ... a flat +20 range increment on all ranged attacks ... and on top of that Far Shot for extra hilarious stuff ... unarmed strike with 60ft range increment (if flat bonuses is added before procentage bonuses) :smallbiggrin:

Immabozo
2014-02-07, 11:51 AM
unless you want to throw with heavy stuff (say boulders) I'm not sold on Hulking Hurler bringing anything to the table ...

What does bring something might be Ranged Weapon Mastery in PHBII (needing Weapon Specialization, which Bloodblade6 qualifies for) ... a flat +20 range increment on all ranged attacks ... and on top of that Far Shot for extra hilarious stuff ... unarmed strike with 60ft range increment (if flat bonuses is added before procentage bonuses) :smallbiggrin:

I was just thinking hulking hurler 1 for the AC 10 to hit a square and not care about AC.

But I am in love!!!

Sian
2014-02-07, 01:05 PM
I was just thinking hulking hurler 1 for the AC 10 to hit a square and not care about AC.

That's a Two-handed Hurl Trick, which you need to be Hulking Hurler 2 to get ... and is a Full-Round Action

Immabozo
2014-02-07, 06:00 PM
That's a Two-handed Hurl Trick, which you need to be Hulking Hurler 2 to get ... and is a Full-Round Action

Have to be 2? Huh, I thought you got a trick every level. Maybe a pre-req I guess... Well, would it work?

Sian
2014-02-07, 06:28 PM
Hulking Hurler 1 only gets 'Really Throws Anything' (basicly Throw Anything turned to 11), and 'Catch' (which is called out to be the Snatch arrows feat, even if Prerequistes aren't done)

if you have an high enough attack bonus, i'm still thinking that you'd get more out of regular attacks, so i'm doubting it

Osiris
2014-02-07, 06:36 PM
(basicly Throw Anything turned to 11)

Good one, even if nobody gets it! It's a bit dated reference.

Immabozo
2014-02-07, 07:01 PM
Good one, even if nobody gets it! It's a bit dated reference.

'twas over my head