PDA

View Full Version : Force Sensitive at Level 1

prufock
2014-02-06, 09:13 AM
I'm planning to build a force-sensitive soldier, aiming at using powers like Battle Strike to buff my combat abilities. By my reading of the RAW, though, at level 1 I can't get UTF as a trained skill unless I'm a Jedi. This is because in building the character, the step for selecting your trained skills comes before selecting your feats. So you have to choose your skills, then take force-sensitive. Now you can't get UTF until level 4 when you pump your int or level 3 if you take the feat for an extra trained skill.

Is this correct, or is there a ruling I'm missing? My DM may waive it anyway, but I'm asking for an official source (RAW, errata, FAQ, etc).

Thanks

Hopeless
2014-02-06, 09:43 AM
Is there a Jedi in your group already?

I'd assume you would at least need one just to be able to achieve even that much.

Is there any reason why you can't multi-class a level to gain that as a trained skill?

Its been a while since I've even owned the Saga book so I was wondering how you will explain this if there isn't a Jedi available to teach your character?

prufock
2014-02-06, 09:56 AM
I'm unsure what you mean. Why would I need a Jedi in my group to take Force Sensitive and UTF as a trained skill?

There is one Jedi at least. Two other players haven't decided on a character yet.

The Random NPC
2014-02-06, 11:22 AM
Technically, you are correct, but most people will allow you to break the rules a bit as it isn't unbalanced.

Is there a Jedi in your group already?

I'd assume you would at least need one just to be able to achieve even that much.

Is there any reason why you can't multi-class a level to gain that as a trained skill?

Its been a while since I've even owned the Saga book so I was wondering how you will explain this if there isn't a Jedi available to teach your character?

I assume this is for Star Wars Saga Edition, and you don't get more skill points for multi-classing in that game. Also being force sensitive is a feat that you can take at first level. As for the teaching, maybe they're learning on their own? I mean the first Jedi had to do it too.

LibraryOgre
2014-02-06, 11:35 AM
I'm planning to build a force-sensitive soldier, aiming at using powers like Battle Strike to buff my combat abilities. By my reading of the RAW, though, at level 1 I can't get UTF as a trained skill unless I'm a Jedi. This is because in building the character, the step for selecting your trained skills comes before selecting your feats. So you have to choose your skills, then take force-sensitive. Now you can't get UTF until level 4 when you pump your int or level 3 if you take the feat for an extra trained skill.

Is this correct, or is there a ruling I'm missing? My DM may waive it anyway, but I'm asking for an official source (RAW, errata, FAQ, etc).

Thanks

You are missing that, if you are Force Sensitive, Use the Force is a class skill for you, regardless of class. It can therefore be a trained skill. The order is somewhat arbitrary, and not an inflexible rule.

If you're bound to that order, then spend another feat to be trained in that skill.

Waar
2014-02-06, 12:32 PM
Being human or claiming that you have aged since picking upp you first level (and therby getting the skill via int boost) could be a legit way around it :smallsmile:

prufock
2014-02-06, 12:40 PM
Being human
This is what I'm going to do. Bonus feat: Force Sensitive, bonus trained skill: Use the Force.
Thanks!

Friv
2014-02-06, 01:09 PM
Well, looks like you solved it, but as a quick note - Skill Training and Skill Focus are both on the list of bonus feats that Soldiers have access to, so if you aren't a human and your DM won't let you shift the order of gaining skills and feats, you can still pick up Use The Force at level 2.

Ailowynn
2014-02-06, 10:51 PM
Well, looks like you solved it, but as a quick note - Skill Training and Skill Focus are both on the list of bonus feats that Soldiers have access to, so if you aren't a human and your DM won't let you shift the order of gaining skills and feats, you can still pick up Use The Force at level 2.

The GM has the final say, obviously, but the official answer to "what order do I level up in" (feats/talents/etc) questions is "whichever way is most beneficial to you." So Human Soldier should be able to take Force Sensitive as the level 1 character feat, then train skills, then take Skill Focus as the human feat.

Echobeats
2014-02-08, 08:45 AM
I would point out to your GM that, under the interpretation put forward in the OP, the line in the description of Force Sensitivity which says "Use the Force is considered a class skill for you" could never apply. Unless you got an Int boost from levelling up to 4th/8th/etc or from aging, which would happen in so few cases as to make it pointless. An interpretation that robs RAW of any meaning can't be right.

LibraryOgre
2014-02-08, 09:09 AM
I would point out to your GM that, under the interpretation put forward in the OP, the line in the description of Force Sensitivity which says "Use the Force is considered a class skill for you" could never apply. Unless you got an Int boost from levelling up to 4th/8th/etc or from aging, which would happen in so few cases as to make it pointless. An interpretation that robs RAW of any meaning can't be right.

It could, Echo, since you can technically only use Skill Training on Class Skills, IIRC.

Alejandro
2014-02-08, 12:01 PM
There are multiple NPCs and enemies and even some creatures throughout the books that are Force sensitive and trained in the skill, but have no Jedi levels. Others already answered it properly, you just buy Force Sensitive and then train UTF.