PDA

View Full Version : Dragon companion/pet

Jgosse
2014-02-06, 10:24 AM
I have a 5th level ranger who wants a dragon, prior to this she had giving up her animal companion for lone hunter. are there any ranger variants that give full druid progression to a rangers animal companion, maybe give up favored enemy to get it, are there any feats that grant a dragon pet?
I found two feats
http://www.realmshelps.net/cgi-bin/featbox.pl?feat=Monstrous_Animal_Companion
she could get a Pseudodragon at level 8 normally

or

http://dndtools.eu/feats/races-of-the-dragon--83/dragon-trainer--728/

but she is human so I would have to wave the dragon blood or find a way to give her dragon blood.

Is there anything else that could let her get some kind of dragonesk creature.

Croix
2014-02-06, 11:42 AM
Sadly there is no variant offering full Druid AC progression for a Ranger... other than the option of rerolling that character as a Druid.

But in addition to what you have there...

5 levels of Paladin and you can take the Drakken Steed ACF, or even take the Dragon Steed Feat if you plan on making the Special Mount better. Then taking the Devoted Tracker feat designate your Special Mount as your Animal Companion. If you're a halfling, you can take Halfling Outrider to allow you to add your levels of it, Ranger and Paladin together to progress both your Special Mount and Animal Companion to equal that total. 4 Ranger/5 Paladin/1 Halfling Outrider means you'll have an Animal companion that is equal to a level 10 Ranger (though it's vaguely worded that It could turn your Ranger levels into an equal amount of Druid levels, or HO could simply add a full effective druid level) and a Special Mount that is equal to a Level 10 Paladin.

JeminiZero
2014-02-06, 11:43 AM
Urban Companion (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a) lets your ranger gain a a familiar that has all your BAB and skills, 3/4 your HP and DOES NOT cost XP on death. All of this argubly makes its progression better than an animal companion that only has 1/2 druid progression.

From there see if your DM lets you apply familiar feats to it. Most of them like Improved Familiar (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Improved_Familiar) require you to have arcane caster levels, so see if your DM will let you waive it.

Jgosse
2014-02-06, 12:54 PM
I would rather not Rebuild her completely just tweek her character if possible. Would this Urban companion allow her to have a Pseudodragon?

eggynack
2014-02-06, 12:57 PM
Phynxkin companion (DrM, 13) gets your ranger an animal with the dragonblood subtype, so that's pretty close. I thought it was druid only, but it is not. Not the worst option for something of this variety.

Jgosse
2014-02-06, 02:01 PM
Phynxkin companion (DrM, 13) gets your ranger an animal with the dragonblood subtype, so that's pretty close. I thought it was druid only, but it is not. Not the worst option for something of this variety.

sounds promising I will look it up when I get home from work.

Ruethgar
2014-02-06, 02:35 PM
Of course urban companion would also let you get a small animated object like say a dragon's corpse, or a dragon built out of other materials. Using Ravenloft it is easily broken and could give you a more lifelike dragon.

The mentioned Monstrous Companion could work, or just wait and grab Dragon Cohort.

Maginomicon
2014-02-06, 05:28 PM
Take the Leadership feat, and use one of the dragon monster classes (from Dragon Magazines #332 page 26 and ... one of the adjacent Dragon Magazines has the metallic dragons, AFB ATM sorry) to build your cohort AND all of your followers. You can have an entire aerie of dragons following you around. :smallbiggrin:

Ruethgar
2014-02-06, 07:43 PM
Take the Leadership feat, and use one of the dragon monster classes (from Dragon Magazines #332 page 26 and ... one of the adjacent Dragon Magazines has the metallic dragons, AFB ATM sorry) to build your cohort AND all of your followers. You can have an entire aerie of dragons following you around. :smallbiggrin:

The Subordinate feat is a Cohort available at level three, only goes up to level 15 though. If you really wanted the dragon earlier than 6th, or just wanted one instead of an aerie, it is nice option to go Subordinate combined with Maginomicon's suggestion of using the dragon classes.