PDA

View Full Version : Doctor Who Novels: Recommendations

Slayer Lord
2014-02-06, 12:28 PM
My girlfriend recently got into Doctor Who and, being a big reader, wanted to know if there were any Doctor Who books out there. I haven't read any myself, I just want to know that there are a lot of them, and I wanted to get one for her as a gift. Does anyone have any recommendations for someone new to the Who-verse? Preferably something from the new series, since that's all she has had time to watch thus far.

EmeraldRose
2014-02-06, 12:34 PM
Hmm...there is a series of stand-alones written by various authors for each of the Doctors. There's also a book of favorite childhood Dr Who memories by various British personalities. Let me see if I can find them and I will post the titles...

EDIT: Here's a start from Amazon. (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_kk_2?rh=i%3Astripbooks%2Ck%3Adoctor+who+boo ks&keywords=doctor+who+books&ie=UTF8&qid=1391708092) I will look for the two books I have, both good, and let you know what they are when I find them.

EmeraldRose
2014-02-15, 01:01 PM
Ah! Found them. There's a new series called The Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Collection. I have two of the books so far. Each is a standalone adventure, one for each Doctor up to Eleven. Looks like you can find them on Amazon.

EDIT: Sorry for the slow response, I'd forgotten about it until Andre got me a new one for Valentine's... :smallredface:

turkishproverb
2014-02-15, 01:46 PM
Which doctors, which episodes, did she like? I'll recommend some books based on that.

Zrak
2014-02-16, 02:40 PM
I'm going on pretty old knowledge, here, so you'll forgive me if the recommendations endorsed by my younger self don't pan out, that guy could be an idiot, sometimes. That said, I have very fond memories of Festival of Death (Johnathan Morris, fourth doctor) and Verdigris (Paul Magrs, third doctor) that I think probably would hold up to my current scrutiny, similarly fond memories of The Last of the Gaderene (Mark Gatiss, third doctor) that probably wouldn't, and fond memories of The Final Sanction (Steve Lyons, second doctor) that may or may not. Verdigris (Paul Magrs, third doctor) is just out-and-out goofy, so don't go for it if you're looking for an adventure that's, you know, not largely concerned with killer robot sheep.
Unfortunately, I have no experience with any media related to the new doctors. I think I might have seen one episode from the new series (the one with Charles Dickens) but that's about it. That said, I'd pretty much only seen the fourth doctor and maybe a few episodes with the fifth when I started reading the books, so I don't think that would be a problem; if anything, it would give some hints as to which eras of a pretty long franchise she might also want to explore.

Not a novel, but there are a lot of cool stories in Short Trips and Side Steps; the sweet and sentimental commercial parody "Do You Love Anyone Enough," the chilling "Monsters" and "Nothing at the End of the Lane," and the goofy, one-sentence "vrs" all stand out.