PDA

View Full Version : Slicing and Dicing!(Bard Build Help)

sambouchah
2014-02-06, 02:46 PM
I've wanted to try playing a Bardblade for a while now and figured why not work on it now so I can use it in the future. Here's what I'm thinking so far:

Sanctified Spark Necropolotan*(Silverbrow Human), Flaws: Free Spirited(Dragon 328 IIR), and Shaky
Bard 6/Warblade 1/Dervish 5/+2 Bard/Sublime Chord 6

Ability Scores(Numbers in parenthesis are before racial modifiers/level up bonuses)
Str 18
Dex 17
Con -(12)
Int 15
Wis 13(15)
Cha 23(16)

Feats:
Snowflake Wardance(F)
Weapon Focus(Scimitar)(F)
Two Weapon Fighting(R)
Dragonfire Inspiration(Force)(1)**
Song of the Heart(3)
Words of Creation(6)
Power Attack(9)
Improved TWF(12)
Greater TWF(15)
Leap Attack(18)

*Is it correct that Necropolitan reduces LA by 2 or am I missing something?
**DM is allowing me to choose alternate Draconic Heritage besides Silver or Red for DFI.

Items desired:
Badge of Valor
MW Natural Horn(W/command word Inspirational Boost)
Vest of Legends
A set of good Scimitars

Sidenote: Can an Undead Bard be affected by Inspire Courage?

Thanks for any help!
, Sam

Deophaun
2014-02-06, 02:59 PM
Dragonfire Inspiration(Force)(1)**
Technically, [Force] is an invalid type with Dragonfire Inspiration. You're limited to fire, acid, electricity, cold, and sonic. Pyroclastic dragons are a popular choice, because you can get sonic damage and you might be able to alternate it with fire if you come across something immune.

Words of Creation(6)
This is a bit of a problem with the necropolitan template, considering how you become a necropolitan:

Upon hearing the petitioner’s last breath, the ritual leader calls forth the names of evil powers and gods to forge a link with the Negative Energy Plane, and then impales the petitioner.
Not exactly something an Exalted character would do.

*Is it correct that Necropolitan reduces LA by 2 or am I missing something?
I don't see where it does anything to LA. You just flat out lose a level + 1,000 XP.

Sidenote: Can an Undead Bard be affected by Inspire Courage?
Some people think you can voluntarily lower immunities, but I'm not sure where that comes from; without that, no, you cannot be affected.

sambouchah
2014-02-06, 03:13 PM
Technically, [Force] is an invalid type with Dragonfire Inspiration. You're limited to fire, acid, electricity, cold, and sonic. Pyroclastic dragons are a popular choice, because you can get sonic damage and you might be able to alternate it with fire if you come across something immune.

I guess I'll go with Pyroclastic then, thanks for the advice!

This is a bit of a problem with the necropolitan template, considering how you become a necropolitan:

Not exactly something an Exalted character would do.

I have Sanctified Creature template to offset this, it changes your Alignment to Good and allows you to take Exalted Feats.

I don't see where it does anything to LA. You just flat out lose a level + 1,000 XP.

Ahh I see, I guess I read the section on LA of a Necropolitan wrong(I was using this (http://www.realmshelps.net/monsters/templates/necropolitan.shtml) site for the template).

Some people think you can voluntarily lower immunities, but I'm not sure where that comes from; without that, no, you cannot be affected.

I'll see how the DM rules this, I'm sure I'll be able to.

sambouchah
2014-02-06, 07:40 PM
How much would a dip in Sandshaper benefit me? Would it be better to go Bard 9/Sandshaper 1/Sublime Chord 10?

gorfnab
2014-02-06, 10:57 PM
How about Bard 6/ Warblade or Crusader 2/ Jade Phoenix Mage 2/ Sublime Chord 2/ Jade Phoenix Mage 8? It nets you a decent number of maneuvers/stances, BAB appropriate for a gish, and 9th level spells.

If you're going to go with Sandshaper you may want to consider Bard 7/ Sand Shaper 1/ Virtuoso 2/ Sublime Chord 2/ Virtuoso 8 or Bard 8/ Sand Shaper 1/ Virtuoso 1/ Sublime Chord 2/ Virtuoso 8.