PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] One Shot Items

Thurbane
2014-02-06, 07:48 PM
Hey all,

Just wondering what some of your favorite "one use" items are?

There's the obvious ones like scrolls, and potions. But how about things like Javelins of Lightning, Elemental Gems or Silversheen? Are they worth the GP for a one-shot effect?

As a cruel DM, I sometimes give enemies one-shot items that they use in combat, but still count towards that NPCs WBL. :smallamused:

Cheers - T

Kelb_Panthera
2014-02-06, 07:55 PM
As horrifically suboptimal as they are, I really like potions. I especially like them when the campaign allows both the alchemist savant and master alchemist prestige classes (Magic of Eberron and Magic of Faerun, respectively) since this allows potions all the way up to 9th level spells and spell-vials; potions you can throw at targets as grenade-like weapons.

On a similar note; psionic tattoos are pretty great, especially when you include this article (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20031225a).

On a non-magical note; explosive packs from secrets of sarlona. Who doesn't love a good bomb? particularly if you're familiar with breaching tactics :smallbiggrin:

Palanan
2014-02-06, 08:15 PM
Originally Posted by Thurbane
Just wondering what some of your favorite "one use" items are?

My very favorite, though they're probably suboptimal and fallacious to boot, are the tattoos created with the Tattoo Magic feat from Races of Faerūn. I took this feat for a druid, and it was great way to share low-level spells with other party members. Master Air in particular was a lot of fun for other PCs who weren't able to fly on their own.

I haven't compared them carefully, but I assume they're a lot like the psionic tattoos that Kelb favors. Extremely versatile when you have creative players using them.

As a cruel DM, I sometimes give enemies one-shot items that they use in combat, but still count towards that NPCs WBL.

This hardly strikes me as cruel, just a sensible use of resources by an opponent. If they're fighting the PCs, they're likely in the fight of their lives, so absolutely they'll use everything at their disposal.

Including magic tattoos. Which should be part of their WBL.

:smalltongue:

Flickerdart
2014-02-06, 08:20 PM
As a cruel DM, I sometimes give enemies one-shot items that they use in combat, but still count towards that NPCs WBL. :smallamused:

Then you don't understand how WBL works or what it's for. At no point is it even implied to be a measure of wealth possessed by monsters that the PCs fight. The only thing it measures is items that the PCs own, and if they never got their hands on it (or sold it, or used it) then guess what, they don't own the item and it doesn't count against WBL. This is exactly the reason that random treasure charts will put PCs slightly above WBL - the section very clearly outlines that this surplus is what PCs use to buy consumables so they can have some potions and scrolls they can use without falling below what the system expects them to own.

A cruel DM would award treasure in units of Apparatus of the Crab. This is just getting the rules wrong.

Palanan
2014-02-06, 08:31 PM
I'm seeing a table in the DMG, p. 127, labeled "Table 4-23: NPC Gear Value." Pretty sure this is what Thurbane meant, and he called it WBL because that's the more common abbreviation.

Note in particular he said "NPC," not "monster."

Thurbane
2014-02-06, 08:40 PM
Then you don't understand how WBL works or what it's for. At no point is it even implied to be a measure of wealth possessed by monsters that the PCs fight. The only thing it measures is items that the PCs own, and if they never got their hands on it (or sold it, or used it) then guess what, they don't own the item and it doesn't count against WBL. This is exactly the reason that random treasure charts will put PCs slightly above WBL - the section very clearly outlines that this surplus is what PCs use to buy consumables so they can have some potions and scrolls they can use without falling below what the system expects them to own.
I'm not talking about run-of-the mill monsters, I'm talking about enemy NPCs (possibly not clear in my original post). NPCs specifically have their own WBL table in the DMG. As Palanan points out, it is actually called NPC Gear Value, not Wealth By Level.

I'm fully aware that "monsters" don't have WBL - they have a treasure type depending on the CR, modified by the Treasure line in their monster entry.

Palanan
2014-02-06, 08:42 PM
I'm not talking about run-of-the mill monsters, I'm talking about enemy NPCs (possibly not clear in my original post).

Seemed pretty clear to me.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-02-06, 08:58 PM
+1 Spell Storing Arrows are at the top of my list.

Pretty much anything you can find in Shax's Indispensable Haversack (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148101).

Nettlekid
2014-02-06, 10:34 PM
As horrifically suboptimal as they are, I really like potions. I especially like them when the campaign allows both the alchemist savant and master alchemist prestige classes (Magic of Eberron and Magic of Faerun, respectively) since this allows potions all the way up to 9th level spells and spell-vials; potions you can throw at targets as grenade-like weapons.

On a similar note; psionic tattoos are pretty great, especially when you include this article (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20031225a).

On a non-magical note; explosive packs from secrets of sarlona. Who doesn't love a good bomb? particularly if you're familiar with breaching tactics :smallbiggrin:

Definitely toss in Spellguard of Silverymoon to let you put Personal spells into potions (by making them count as Touch).

As for one-off items, Chaos Flasks are pretty amazing. Turn them into any small matter that you want. Only 50 gp for a flask, if memory serves. They're like one-use, bigger gain Shapesand.

Not exactly a one-use item but could be seen as such, a Sacred Ofuda. Slap it on an undead's face and they can't move forever.

Zeb
2014-02-06, 10:38 PM
Feather token: Tree (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#tree)

Allanimal
2014-02-06, 10:45 PM
Feather token: Tree (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#tree)

Seconded! These are awesome.

Nirhael
2014-02-06, 11:16 PM
+1 Spell Storing Arrows are at the top of my list.

I don't think those are legal though.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-02-06, 11:46 PM
I don't think those are legal though.

They cannot be discovered as random loot per the table, but the text of Spell Storing does not even indicate that ranged weapons and ammunition are excluded.

shylocke
2014-02-07, 12:14 AM
Pearls of power from DMG as sling ammo. Good for locking up pesky bosses. Or blast globes from magic of faerun.

Nettlekid
2014-02-07, 01:38 AM
Pearls of power from DMG as sling ammo. Good for locking up pesky bosses. Or blast globes from magic of faerun.

Um, what? How would hurling Pearls of Power do anything?

shylocke
2014-02-07, 01:42 AM
Sorry. I meant bead of force. Always get that one mixed up

Kelb_Panthera
2014-02-07, 02:20 AM
I haven't compared them carefully, but I assume they're a lot like the psionic tattoos that Kelb favors. Extremely versatile when you have creative players using them.

They do have the small issue of costing double unless you're willing to give up a body slot but they're otherwise pretty comparable to basic psionic tattoos before the web article boost. Virtually identical, really.

Drachasor
2014-02-07, 02:32 AM

The Whip is pretty amazing too for a while.

Dust of Illusion is pretty cheap -- dusts have 50 uses, right?

magwaaf
2014-02-07, 02:59 AM
in the early part of our campaign some 2 years ago my dm had a javelin of lightning drop and gave it a 25% break rate

Gotterdammerung
2014-02-07, 03:00 AM
I I don't remember the name atm. But there is a one use re-rolling item that I have used on many characters.

Thurbane
2014-02-07, 03:24 AM
Dust of Illusion is pretty cheap -- dusts have 50 uses, right?
I think the dusts in the SRD are one use each - making them very expensive. I do love Dust of Disappearance though. Can't be foiled by See Invisibility or Invisibility Purge.

Ydaer Ca Noit
2014-02-07, 03:38 AM
I'm not talking about run-of-the mill monsters, I'm talking about enemy NPCs (possibly not clear in my original post). NPCs specifically have their own WBL table in the DMG. As Palanan points out, it is actually called NPC Gear Value, not Wealth By Level.

I'm fully aware that "monsters" don't have WBL - they have a treasure type depending on the CR, modified by the Treasure line in their monster entry.

I think the NPCs have more gear than the gold of the monsters (a lvl 3 NPC fighter has 2500gp gear, a EL 3 is supposed to have 900gp) because a) the players will have to sell most/half of it of it b) because useable gear is needed to make the NPC strong enough challenge. So not using consumables actually means that the PCs will get way more loot at less challenging fights.

That said if my NPCs have 1 strong consumable, they use it only when the fight goes really bad - because why would they waste it first round. If I want to have them spam their items at first opportunity, I give them a lot (so the PCs have a chance to find some) to explain that behavior.

Drachasor
2014-02-07, 03:39 AM
I think the dusts in the SRD are one use each - making them very expensive. I do love Dust of Disappearance though. Can't be foiled by See Invisibility or Invisibility Purge.

That can't be right. They are generally 1st level spell effects. A potion that does the same thing is 350gp (Dust of Illusion works at CL 6). 1200gp doesn't make any sense. Hmm, actually it is a CL 6 item but the duration is like a CL 12 -- that would still be just 700gp (which IS overpriced, but the default one use items often are if they are spell-based). Still not getting to a point where 1200gp makes sense.

I suppose the odd thing is that dusts don't indicate how many uses they have or even if they run out of uses.

Hmm, don't have my DMG on me. I thought it went over Dusts, Salves, and such in it. The SRD doesn't.

Gwendol
2014-02-07, 03:41 AM
Feather tokens! Never leave home without the tree one!

Potions are useful too, especially for pre-battle buffs.

Gemini476
2014-02-07, 03:49 AM

Dust of Sneezing and Choking should never be left out of a discussion about good Dusts. Then again, it's very much Known Cheese.

Speaking of Feather Tokens, the boat is pretty nifty as well.

Drachasor
2014-02-07, 03:59 AM
Dust of Sneezing and Choking should never be left out of a discussion about good Dusts. Then again, it's very much Known Cheese.

Speaking of Feather Tokens, the boat is pretty nifty as well.

Yeah, the boat is crazy. It's massive as well considering it can hold 8 horses (assuming 2x4 that's over 20' by 40'). There are lots of things you can use it for. It's unclear if it moves itself, but it seems to imply this.

Feather Tokens are among the most reasonable priced one-shot magic items.

Arrows of Undead and Construct Slaying can be quite useful too. Especially since Death Ward doesn't protect against them.

Not one-use but I like the dead Ioun Stone. It's just fun and cheap.

Unguent of Timelessness can have some good uses too.

FlyingHellfish
2014-02-07, 11:12 PM
I I don't remember the name atm. But there is a one use re-rolling item that I have used on many characters.

Phaant's luckstone from Ghostwalk.

Skevvix
2014-02-07, 11:22 PM
Soverign Glue (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#sovereignGlue). Nothing beats sticking the BBEG's henchmen to his feet. :smallamused:

Thurbane
2014-02-07, 11:40 PM
Phaant's luckstone from Ghostwalk.
That's a nice find - usually the only magic item we hear about from Ghostwalk is the Glove of the Master Strategist.

Alent
2014-02-07, 11:41 PM
Feather Token Tree is a natural. Amulet of Vermin can be interesting if used well. Shapesand is nice, but I don't think that one's a single use. I often have characters carry around a notched Arrow of Sizing to use as a ladder or impromptu bridge.

Acid vials are nice, colossal globes of acid reduced with shrink item are better.

Moonsticks are pretty cool when you've got the right vision for them.

Brookshw
2014-02-08, 09:36 AM
Even some of the base alchemical items can be useful, thunderstones to blind oozes etc.

Ernir
2014-02-08, 11:11 AM
Blessed Bandages (MIC)
Silversheen (DMG). Buying silver weapons is for suckers.
The feather tokens have been mentioned, but I find the bird very useful. It carries more information than a Sending, and you don't have to pester a 7th-level Cleric for it.

And yes, take a look through Darrin's Shax's Indispensable Haversack.

Even some of the base alchemical items can be useful, thunderstones to blind oozes etc.

Yup. I rather like Smokesticks and Sunrods. Sunrods might be expensive at level 1, but at level 3 they're cheap, last through a dungeon, and give a pretty good radius.

Dalebert
2014-02-08, 11:25 PM
Amulet of Vermin can be interesting if used well.

Huh? Not a one-shot; once per day.

Acid vials are nice, colossal globes of acid reduced with shrink item are better.

I've been trying to figure out a good way to combine water to acid and shrink item but it doesn't click for me. Shrink item requires you to throw the item on the ground to unshrink it. Throwing it at an enemy doesn't appear to work. How do you use it?

Alent
2014-02-09, 12:50 AM
Huh? Not a one-shot; once per day.

Depends on which version you use. They were one-shots in Magic of Faerun, and when they were imported into the MiC and changed to 1/day, they forgot to change the amulet costs to reflect the proper cost of a 1/day item.

My group banned the MiC version, but allows the Magic of Faerun version.

I've been trying to figure out a good way to combine water to acid and shrink item but it doesn't click for me. Shrink item requires you to throw the item on the ground to unshrink it. Throwing it at an enemy doesn't appear to work. How do you use it?

Some DM arbitration is required, if I remember right. The way I used it was by launch it at the ground beneath my target with a sling. Even if you miss it lands adjacent and one way or the other the glass globe breaks and everything returns to normal size with your opponent occupying ground zero for a colossal acid bath with glass shrapnel.

For damage, I think either water to acid specifies, we either found a table for the acid damage, or approximated it by saying it was a CL equivalent fireball. Can't remember, been too long.

Dalebert
2014-02-16, 11:43 PM
Ah, I thought they seemed obscenely cheap but I never tried to do a cost calculation. I was just about to make them for everyone in my group. I'll have to reconsider now.

Do you know where I can find the guidelines for pricing items?