PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder help: Necromancer build advice.

TheFamilarRaven
2014-02-06, 08:42 PM
Hello fellow play-grounders! I've recently begun building a necromancer PC for a pathfinder campaign. Now, i'm relatively new to pathfinder (not DnD 3.5 though) and caster building, so I'm not 100% sure what i'm doing. So if anyone has some advice on the subject of necromancy, I'd be grateful.

Here is what i'm imagining. I'm going for an undead focused (big surprise) necromancer, although instead of the undead horde, I want one or two BIG bad undead that follow me/that I can summon forth.

I have all the general stuff down, stats and skills, but my biggest question is spell selection, feats and undead creatures that are (more or less) the best.

Regardless of whether it's optimized, here's what I have so far:
human
Level 8 wizard, necromancer
Restricted schools: Divination, Illusion
Bonded item class feature
Undead focus school

Now, I'm not looking for the end all necromancer build, just some tips for good and/or interesting builds

All pathfinder books are available and even some 3.5 books. Thanks in advance for any tips. Peace

grarrrg
2014-02-06, 09:17 PM
I'm feeling lazy.
Go read this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13510273#post13510273) instead.

Short version:
Divine make better Minion-masters.
Arcane make better Necro-casters.

TheIronGolem
2014-02-06, 09:22 PM
If you want to focus on quality over quantity, I'd go Summoner with an Undead Appearance eidolon (maybe with the Broodmaster archetype if you want to pull a little bit back toward the "quantity" end). A lot of people will recommend Cleric too, which is probably the best choice mechanically, although I personally prefer my necromancy to be arcane-flavored (and summoner is easy to refluff as being "really" a sorcerer)

TheFamilarRaven
2014-02-06, 09:34 PM
Thanks for the replies, i'll go look over that thread