PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations(3.P-ish)

ReluctantDragon
2014-02-06, 09:01 PM
Looking for recommendations for both me(player) and a friend(DM).

I will be playing an Artificer in an upcoming game. This game starts at level 1.
Some of the house rules of the game incorporate SOME of the rules of Pathfinder.

Relevant to this point, Item Creation will be done using Pathfinder rules(Found here (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/magicItems/magicItemCreation.html#_magic-item-creation)). These rules do not utilize XP. Now the largest reason this is being utilized is for the fact that our gaming group rarely tracks/utilizes XP in the first place. DM's typically award new levels as necessary, keeping track of story, player desire, and other variables. Hence, the mechanic of XP is largely a cost that we ignore.

However, I want to make sure that the removal of XP and the use of the Artificer will not throw a wrench into gameplay.

Anyone have advice or recommendations? Could it be just as simple as removing the Craft Reserve for the Artificer?

Looking forward to any assistance with this.

Thanks,
RD.

Nihilarian
2014-02-06, 09:11 PM
As nice as Craft Reserve is, just remove it. Artificers are extremely powerful with or without it.

You might be able to convince the DM to exchange the XP reserve for a GP reserve, however.

Snowbluff
2014-02-06, 09:44 PM
Artificer isn't really that good in PF, since the craft rules allow anyone to ignore the spells needed to craft objects with a spellcraft check. The good class skills list isn't nearly as useful as they are in 3.5, either.

Construct armor is fun to screw around with. It's any construct, made into armor. It takes attack for you. I used an Elder Eidolon, from Lords of Madness, as my base construct for it, and I was pretty tough. It resisted pretty much any targeted spell, made people insane for looking at it, and it's non-euclidean geometry made it harder to hit and let it regenerate health.

ReluctantDragon
2014-02-07, 08:47 AM
Artificer isn't really that good in PF, since the craft rules allow anyone to ignore the spells needed to craft objects with a spellcraft check. The good class skills list isn't nearly as useful as they are in 3.5, either.

Construct armor is fun to screw around with. It's any construct, made into armor. It takes attack for you. I used an Elder Eidolon, from Lords of Madness, as my base construct for it, and I was pretty tough. It resisted pretty much any targeted spell, made people insane for looking at it, and it's non-euclidean geometry made it harder to hit and let it regenerate health.

So would it be better off, doing 3.5 creation rules, sans XP cost?

Or PF creation rules, but adding in the spell known prerequisites?