PDA

View Full Version : I may be breaking some Hydra rules here...

pinkbunnies
2014-02-06, 09:38 PM
According to the rules for a Hydra they can use all there heads pretty much no matter what as long as they are there [full move and use all heads to attack, to breath breath weapon if they have it]. My question is with the Snatch feat... Since each head gets its action each round no matter what... Does that mean that I can grapple a creature with one head and then use all the others to do their regular attacks?

TuggyNE
2014-02-06, 09:44 PM
Yes, but per the rules for Improved Grab the Hydra would take a -20 penalty on its grapple checks on that head.

pinkbunnies
2014-02-06, 10:11 PM
Awesome! Wanted to make sure it was right, thanks :-)

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-02-06, 10:15 PM
There are feats in the Draconomicon to improve this:
Improved Snatch allows you to grab creatures one size bigger.
Multisnatch reduces that -20 penalty to -10.

Don't forget, if it uses that head to grapple but takes the penalty for the rest of its heads to not be considered grappling, the other heads can bite the grabbed foe as though from outside the grapple, ignoring Dex and Dodge bonuses to AC.

pinkbunnies
2014-02-06, 11:04 PM
Hadn't even thought of that, checking in Dragonomicon. Thanks for the tip

pinkbunnies
2014-02-06, 11:06 PM
Multisnatch reduces that -20 penalty to -10.

EXACTLY What I needed thank you again!

Rubik
2014-02-06, 11:09 PM
Improved Snatch
Multisnatch
Frumious BandersnatchI really regret WotC's less-than-stellar ability to name things, sometimes.

Eldaran
2014-02-07, 03:58 AM
I really regret WotC's less-than-stellar ability to name things, sometimes.

This is a bit roundabout, but Frumious Bandersnatch is from the poem Jabberwocky, and in Secret of Mana there's a boss you fight called the Jabberwocky, and it's basically a hydra. Just a funny connection.

Thurbane
2014-02-07, 04:51 AM
I was looking into a Spellwarped Gravetouched Ghoul Hydra as a nasty encounter for my next campaign. Save vs. Paralysis for each bite. Nasty.

The other thing that blows my mind about Hydras is that they attack with all their heads on an AoO. Ouch.

WesleyVos
2014-02-07, 08:02 AM
Then the question arises if the hydra can use one head to grapple the upper half and another to grapple the lower half of a person, then pull...

G.Cube
2014-02-07, 09:21 AM
I really regret WotC's less-than-stellar ability to name things, sometimes.

From one cube to another, thank you for making me almost lose the coffee I was currently drinking when I read this.

Rubik
2014-02-07, 09:45 AM
From one cube to another, thank you for making me almost lose the coffee I was currently drinking when I read this.Anything for the GangstaCube.