PDA

View Full Version : Whisper Gnome Rogue Optimization

Pinkcrusade
2014-02-06, 10:07 PM
Greetings, Playground.

The whisper gnome caught my eye once again, so I decided to make one with the "Dark Creature" template. I would like this character to be focused around hiding (with the help from the Dark Creature template), going up to Sneak Attack for lots of damage, and then fade back into the shadows and repeat. I was reading that if you attack an enemy whilst you are hidden, they are considered flat-footed, allowing Sneak Attacks.

What is the penalty associated with attacking and then attempting to hide again (with the "Hide in Plain Sight" feat)? Which classes should I take? This character will be grouped with relatively optimized characters, so I would like recommendations that would place this character to that level.

Thanks.

PS: no Divine spells (campaign reasons)

gorfnab
2014-02-06, 11:10 PM
Obligatory Handbooks
Rogue Handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156350)
Sneak Attacking Spellcasters Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=1240)

If your group is heavy on the optimization I would recommend a spellcasting roguish build like Spellthief 1/ Wizard (Spontaneous Divination ACF, CC) 5/ Unseen Seer 10/ Arcane Trickster 4.

If you're not into spells you could do Swashbuckler 3/ Sneak Attack Thug Zentarim Fighter 3/ Feat Rogue 14 (not necessarily in that order though, possibly sub in 2 levels of Swordsage into the build taking out 2 levels or Rogue) with the feat Daring Outlaw. This would net you 11d6 sneak attack, 8 bonus feats, and 16 BAB. 2 levels of Swordsage taken after level 6 would net you the ability to take the Shadowblade feat, some stances and maneuvers, as well as more sneak attack through Assassins Stance. However you would need a lenient DM to pull this off because of the wording of Darint Outlaw (interaction with Rogue levels).

One trick with Whisper Gnome Rogues is the combination of the feats Magic in the Blood and Silencing Strike. This combo can potentially shut down or at least hamper casters who do not have the feat Silent Spell. It can also be used to assinate targets quietly.