PDA

View Full Version : [PF]Kobold Half-Dragon

MobiusHero
2014-02-06, 11:16 PM
I have a game going right now wherein the pcs races are; Gnome, Dwarf, Halfling, Goblin, and... Aasimar... SO to stay in theme, as I only knew this after the game had begun, I was thinking of making a Kobold.

However, I have been wanting to make a half-dragon character for some time and it occurred to me that this is the perfect opportunity as the group is currently level 3.

I have begun writing up a Half-Dragon Kobold, and am curious as to what you guys thought of the idea, and what your suggestions might be regarding general build ideas.

(side note, the Kobold is a 5RP race and since my group likes to rely on RP for balance, even though I have heard that is a terrible idea, I will probably be allowed to modify them to make them equal 10RP)

Drachasor
2014-02-06, 11:22 PM
I'd see if they'd let you just play with the 3.5 Kobold rules and feats. They lets you easily fit in a half-dragon theme without any template (just some feats) and it is a much more balanced race.

Why do they rely on RP for balance though? It's a terrible system.

MobiusHero
2014-02-07, 12:01 AM
Answer #1: They also don't like using 3.5 stuff unless they can't think of any other way.

Answer #2: Because it is an official system of balance, and official systems for anything are sacrosanct... except WBL which everyone thinks is stupid... except me... because we never get good loot... or money...

I have told them that the system isn't balanced very well but they dont care...

Spore
2014-02-07, 05:19 AM
I'd just take the Template out of the MHB 1 for +2 LA and you're done. Casters should be out of question then though.

MobiusHero
2014-02-07, 04:39 PM
Well I used the Half-Dragon Template from the Bestiary and that evens out the Kobolds negative stats, however I was just curious how everyone here would set up the build?

I was thinking being a Gold half-dragon and basically being Jesus to other Kobolds, I have a high Charisma and my Diplomacy is 19 after all modifiers, so I was planning on trying to make a settlement of Kobolds that were between Neutral and Good and between Lawful and Neutral, with me as the Chieftan.

Kobolds outright worship True Dragons, and I don't think it is too much of a stretch to think they would honor or even worship a Half-Dragon as an Exalted Scion of the Dragons... or something...

I was also thinking of building him as a Paladin, to try and emulate the Gold Dragon shtick, what do you guys think?

Spore
2014-02-07, 05:08 PM
I was also thinking of building him as a Paladin, to try and emulate the Gold Dragon shtick, what do you guys think?

I've read somewhere that Silver Dragons are more fitting for paladins since gold dragons wait things out while silver dragons try to purge anything remotely evil in an instant. Depends largely on your campaign though. If you're a decendant of gold dragons are want to be a paladin, go for it.

By the way, how set are you on pure Paladin? Might I suggest Paladin 4/Bard 1/Dragon Disciple? It's on par with Paladins but you give in into your draconic heritage. Basically start off as Paladin then do some research (Bard level) and ascend to Dragonhood. (This might also be an acceptable work around substituting half dragon).

For race building: Change the attribute to +2 Str or Dex, -2 Con, +2 Cha for 1 RP with Draconic subtype and normal movement actually makes 10 RP in my books. You would give up most boons of Kobolds but honestly you shouldn't take light sensitivity anyway if you like being a shiny paladin.

MobiusHero
2014-02-07, 06:09 PM
That is a pretty good idea Sporeegg, Except I think I might go with Paladin 4/Sorcerer 1/Dragon Disciple 1 instead. The Draconic bloodline is right in line with what I had been thinking.

I didn't even know Dragon Disciple was a thing but it is awesome! I prefer more fighty type characters but this seems like a really good fit for what I am trying to do.

Baroncognito
2014-02-07, 07:07 PM
Actually, you could consider Paladin 4/ Oracle 1/ Dragon Disciple with the Scaled Disciple (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/arg-feats/scaled-disciple) feat.

Edit: Or you could just go Oracle of Battle 5/ Dragon Disciple.

Fouredged Sword
2014-02-07, 08:28 PM
If you want to be a diplomancer, consider worshiping Adabar and being at least 1 level of cleric. There is a set of scales somewhere that lets you spend a channeling use to preform a diplomacy check as a standard action.

With a +19 diplomacy, I think you can see where that is going.

Spore
2014-02-07, 08:56 PM
Or you could just go Oracle of Battle 5/ Dragon Disciple.

A multiclassed curse is possibly not what you want.

Baroncognito
2014-02-07, 09:43 PM
There are worse things. And half of your non-oracle levels count as oracle levels for purposes of advancing the curse.

MobiusHero
2014-02-07, 09:55 PM
It seems to me that an Oracle is a pretty good way to go... One question though... can Oracles get Domains? Scaled Disciple seems to say that you could...

Baroncognito
2014-02-07, 09:58 PM
It seems to me that an Oracle is a pretty good way to go... One question though... can Oracles get Domains? Scaled Disciple seems to say that you could...

Not that I'm aware of. Inquisitors get domains and are spontaneous casters, so that could be what Scaled Disciple is referring to.

Spore
2014-02-07, 10:29 PM
It's a smart idea in theory...until you realize that NOTHING from the inquisitor scales with DD levels except the casting (which is a sidegrade anyway).

grarrrg
2014-02-07, 11:08 PM

You do not get a Domain, nor do you automatically gain access to Domain spells.
What the feat does is say "here's this handful of spells, if you manage to learn and then cast them, you get a bonus".

So if you decide to learn any of the spells that also happen to be on the Scalykind Domain's list of stuff, then you cast them at +1 level.

Drachasor
2014-02-07, 11:24 PM
Since you don't have racial hit dice, I'd say the Half-Dragon template itself isn't really worth it. So I'm liking the Dragon Disciple idea.

I'd just use the race creation rules to make an "improved" Kobold.

MobiusHero
2014-02-08, 04:17 PM
My brother brought up a potentially good point, Can a half-dragon even take dragon disciple? The race requirement is any non-dragon, strictly speaking my "Race" is still Kobold but my bro doesn't think it would be possible since I am a half-dragon.

Drachasor
2014-02-08, 05:03 PM
My brother brought up a potentially good point, Can a half-dragon even take dragon disciple? The race requirement is any non-dragon, strictly speaking my "Race" is still Kobold but my bro doesn't think it would be possible since I am a half-dragon.

They can't. The idea is you take Dragon Disciple to become a Half-Dragon. That's a lot cheaper. Half-Dragon is crappy anyhow -- you don't get a Breath Weapon since you have no racial hit dice.

grarrrg
2014-02-08, 05:59 PM

"Race" and "Creature Type" are basically the same thing.
So if you are a Half-Dragon and gain the creature type Dragon, then you can NOT take levels of Dragon Disciple.

There is potential issues if you already have levels of Dragon Disciple and then later become a Half-Dragon, but in that case you are better off asking your DM if you can keep taking Dragon Disciple levels or not.

They can't. The idea is you take Dragon Disciple to become a Half-Dragon. That's a lot cheaper.

Note that unlike the 3.5 version, the PF DD does NOT give you the Half-Dragon template, or change your creature type or anything.

Drachasor
2014-02-08, 07:25 PM
Note that unlike the 3.5 version, the PF DD does NOT give you the Half-Dragon template, or change your creature type or anything.

Granted, but it is better than being a Half-Dragon. The H-D Template is not very good. Imho, I'd avoid it if I were you. Well, unless your group is going to use the silly CR rules for PF. In which case over your first 3 levels you'll get an extra one for free and the CR goes down by one (basically).

But I think it would be better to just make a Dragon or Dragon-like race. Dragon Type would work if they'll waive the DD requirement (which is probably just a hold-over from 3.5 they forgot about).