PDA

View Full Version : [Mutants and Masterminds] Heal from Energy Damage (Help Please)

Darkholme
2014-02-07, 12:54 AM
Okay, here's what I'm trying to build, and I'm a bit uncertain how to build it.

When I get hit by electric attacks, whatever damage it would do, I heal instead. Work in some impervious or immunity so I dont take negative afflictions from electric attacks either.

So if I get hit by a lightning bolt, and the guy rolls 5 damage, I heal 5 damage.

I looked into energy absorption, and it seems to work for boosting attributes for some time after you get hit, or granting you a power for some time with diminishing ranks, but I can't see a way to make it do what I'm trying to accomplish.

Any ideas?

The_Snark
2014-02-07, 02:24 AM
Which version of Mutants and Masterminds are you looking at? You mention rolling damage, which isn't something that happens in 2e or 3e (not sure about 1e, as I'm not familiar with it.)

That said, in 3e you could build that power as follows:

Immunity 10 (all electricity effects) [cost: 10 points]

and

Healing X (extra: action (reaction) +3/rank, flaws: limited -1/rank, self only -1/rank) [cost: 3 points per rank]

This makes you immune to all electricity effects (damage, Affliction or otherwise), and whenever you're hit by one you get to use your Healing power on yourself for free. Your Healing power is limited by your Healing rank or the rank of the effect that hit you, whichever is lower.

The Limited flaw reflects a) the fact that electricity effects aren't super-common, and you could have chosen a more common trigger for the reaction (like being hit by anything, or damaging someone); and b) the fact that it's restricted to the rank of the effect that hit you. (Note that this is *not* a mandatory restriction - if you want your healing power to go off at full force when you stick your fingers in a wall socket, you can build the power to do that instead. Note, also, that you have to pay for the maximum rank you want - if you only pay for 1 rank, you'll only have Healing 1 no matter how powerful the attacks hitting you are. As far as I know there's no way to buy a Healing effect that scales to matches any attack you're hit with.)

Whether this qualifies as a proper Limited flaw is up to your GM - if electricity effects are really common in your game, or you frequently hit yourself with powerful area attacks, it might not count - but if I were GMing I'd allow it. Check with yours to see how they feel.

Alternatively, you could replace Healing with:

Regeneration X (extra: reaction +1/rank, flaws: fades -1/rank, limited -1/rank) [cost: 1 point per 2 ranks]

so that instead of an instant healing effect, you get a healing-over-time effect that fades away over the course of the next few rounds. This is probably less effective overall, but a lot cheaper and still pretty good if you're getting hit by powerful effects. (The downside is that Regeneration which changes from round to round is kind of a pain to calculate.)

Grod_The_Giant
2014-02-07, 08:26 AM
+1 to everything The Snark said. Immunity 10 (electric), linked to Reaction Healing whatever (Limited to Self, Limited to when hit by Electricity, Limited to rank of attack power). 10+3 points/rank of Healing.

Darkholme
2014-02-07, 03:36 PM
Hmm.

This is for 3e.

I have one question to ask:

Is there a way to go the healing route, but not have to make a roll? (Like, use the roll of the electricity attack rather than making a roll yourself?) - that would be the ideal effect to go for for the concept, if possible.

Beleriphon
2014-02-08, 10:45 AM
Hmm.

This is for 3e.

I have one question to ask:

Is there a way to go the healing route, but not have to make a roll? (Like, use the roll of the electricity attack rather than making a roll yourself?) - that would be the ideal effect to go for for the concept, if possible.

Probably regeneration. With a the Source flaw you have 2 ranks per point so for 10 points you'd get Regeneration 20 which clears two penalties to Toughness checks each round, or whatever else ails you starting with the worst condition every round (provided that you've been hit with electricity or licked a wall socket).

Darkholme
2014-02-08, 07:09 PM
Hmm. Alright. Thanks guys. :)

Grod_The_Giant
2014-02-09, 12:29 AM
I'm not sure what you mean by "not have to make a roll." Do you want to not have to relay on the Healing power's roll? Or do you want something that's not going to consume actions?