PDA

View Full Version : Psionic Ranged Gish? (3.P)

ChaoticDitz
2014-02-07, 12:59 AM
Hey, for an upcoming game, I want to play a ranged Psionic gish as mentioned in the title. And yes, it might not be the most optimal thing, but I'd like to use real weapons for this purpose, so please try to avoid skirting the definition by telling me to play a Soulbow or something; I want decent manifesting abilities and good ranged weapon abilities (probably not even independent of each other, though I don't know the breadth of buffs for Psionic classes).

The game is 3.5 for almost all intents and purposes, but Pathfinder feats and slightly modified versions of the retooled PrCs and spells in that system are allowed (said retooling being so that the numbers make sense in the context of 3.5, mostly). Avoid Homebrew if possible, Dragon mag and 3rd party allowed case-by case. Every official splat and sourcebook allowed except for Magic of Incarnum; however, due to the setting, arcane magic of any kind is completely off the table.

The campaign is starting at level 3. To give an idea of what level of power I should be trying to work alongside, the party consists of: a Charging Smite spell-less Paladin with specially grafted Celestial wings that allow and enhance his ability to charge in midair; a group-buffing DMM Cleric; a Rogue who uses clever mundane item use and obscene amounts of UMD to basically be a more expensive caster to fill in holes; and a Wild Elf Ranger who uses a longsword-shortsword combo and generally serves as "the tanky one" despite the player being insanely good with spells (and I figure that will continue to show through once spells come online for the Ranger).

Being as none of these guys except the Cleric are exactly impressive in terms of optimization (though the Ranger is the type to spellcast circles around pretty much everyone below Tippy-level) I think I can keep up, but what kind of build would you guys recommend I use? I might need a little utility, but the party mostly has that covered, I think. My focus ought to be on ranged combat, and anything that perhaps only a Psionic character can accomplish. Where should I even start?

Dimers
2014-02-07, 01:29 AM
Nothing wrong with straight Psychic Warrior, really. They get good power access for the most relevant powers, they get free feats with which to buy stuff like Psionic Shot and Psionic Meditation, they have enough power points to use weapons made of deep crystal when it counts ... you can even get a little less MAD by focusing on Wisdom, taking Zen Archery, and then only buying up as much Dex as you need for feat prerequisites.

Manly Man
2014-02-07, 01:33 AM
So, pretty much, your best bet would be to ask if the DM would let you be this fellow here (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/psychic-warrior), and take the Archer path. Psychic Warriors are one of the biggest examples of why full BAB is overrated. Be a human (or if you're allowed to be a Pathfinder race, elan (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/races/elan)) and take Psionic Meditation, as well as the feats related to Psionic Shot, and those of a typical archer. You ought to be just fine like that.

EDIT: Mostly Swordsage'd.

Dimers
2014-02-07, 01:35 AM
Wow. Pathfinder elan kick 3.5 elan's butts. :smalleek:

(Un)Inspired
2014-02-07, 05:20 AM
Zen archery is totally the way to go. I'd go factotum 8/ shiba protector 1/ ranger 1/ ardent x/ slayer x

Now you got:
wis to attack twice and int to attack
Int to damage and wis to damage
9th level powers

Get an energy bow and ruin people from range. Cast offensive prescient and precognitive to crank your attack and damage even higher.

You can take huge amounts of actions using inspiration points and hustle (and schism)

Manly Man
2014-02-07, 06:39 AM
Wow. Pathfinder elan kick 3.5 elan's butts. :smalleek:

Well, pretty much everything psionic in Pathfinder kicks the butt of 3.5's psionics. I think there's actually more psionic material for Pathfinder (thank you, DSP!) than there is for 3.5.