PDA

View Full Version : Equipment for a fleshraker

deathwolf669
2014-02-07, 12:34 PM
Hey guys, I am looking to equip out a fleshraker, so what sort of equipment should I be looking to give it.

I am thinking of giving it some light/med armour and the feat/s for it, any suggestions on types of enchantments for it? I am guessing it counts as odd shaped so it will be 4x more costly. Not 100% sure what armour or materials to stick on him.

I am guessing giving it weapon attachments will negate the poison so lets skip that section.

Also question came up earlier, can I feed him from the provisions box or would I be able to feed him the mule from the survival pouch? I know animal companions are supposed to be able to feed themselves but what happens when you are stuck in a dungeon with only the group to eat?

Would giving it a ring of +1 int make it stop being counted as an AC even though the ring is not permanent?

Palanan
2014-02-07, 01:13 PM
Originally Posted by Future Fleshraker Meal
I know animal companions are supposed to be able to feed themselves but what happens when you are stuck in a dungeon with only the group to eat?

:smallbiggrin:

deathwolf669
2014-02-07, 01:49 PM
Don't tempt me to do it :P

Thurbane
2014-02-07, 08:07 PM
Necklace of Natural Attacks (Savage Species) seems like a great fit for a Fleshraker. Then stack on enhancements as you can afford them.

deathwolf669
2014-02-11, 07:01 PM
Can anyone suggest things to boost AC?

I have been thinking of something for boosting natural AC, can I give her something to boost AC another way?

Also looking on what can boost her Dex through the roof!

MesiDoomstalker
2014-02-11, 07:12 PM
Well Bracelets of Dexterity +X would work for Dex buffing. And Amulet of Natural Armor and Ring of Protection will buff up its AC nicely. Bracers of Armor would do so as well.

Remember if you are giving it armor, it still needs to be proficient with said armor. Namely, you need at least Light Armor Proficiency and stick with that since you want high Dex you want a high Dex bonus armor.

deathwolf669
2014-02-12, 03:45 AM
So I thought of going for these, Bracers of Armour +2, Amulet of Natural Armour +1, Gloves of Dex +2.

Are gloves going to affect his attacks? I am guessing not but I thought I would ask.

SPoilaaja
2014-02-12, 04:03 AM
Necklace of Natural Attacks (Savage Species) seems like a great fit for a Fleshraker. Then stack on enhancements as you can afford them.

A Fleshraker has 2 claws, bite and a rake. Regular amulet of mighty fists is more cost efficient (though, you can't apply non enchantment bonuses).

So I thought of going for these, Bracers of Armour +2, Amulet of Natural Armour +1, Gloves of Dex +2.

Are gloves going to affect his attacks? I am guessing not but I thought I would ask.

Don't go with bracers of armor, regular +1 padded armor works better (if you can handle the +8 max dex). About the gloves: I have never met a GM that would allow a fleshraker to have magical gloves and benefit from them while using claws as an attack.

deathwolf669
2014-02-12, 04:47 AM
I forgot about padded armour, as its an odd shape do I add the x2 to the 5gp or the 155 gp total? I am guessing the overall total of so they would be 310.

Now you leave me open with which crystal do I use on it!

SPoilaaja
2014-02-12, 05:11 AM
it's the 5gp before masterworking that is doubled, I believe

Feint's End
2014-02-12, 05:25 AM
For 1200 you can get a mithral chainshirt. Please everybody remember that light armor profiency (any armor profiency really) does nothing except removing the ac penalty to hit so you actually don't need it if you only wear light armor with no penalty.

A mithral chainshirt +1 will increase the ac of your fleshraker by 5 ... add an amulet of natural armor +1 (probably want to have it on another bodyslot so you can have the amulet of natural attacks) and a ring of protection +1 and there you go with a total of +7 to your ac. all together it costs 6200.

Amulet of mighty fists only works on unarmed attacks IIRC and therefor won't work on the dinosaur.

Also about the gloves debate. Don't forget that you can get the lowest price on an item on more than one bodyslot. There are attributes associated with each part of a body and dexterity associates with more than hands so you could also have bracers or boots of dexterity. It's only about getting somebody to enchant the right parts for you ( for example instead of boots you might want to have some bracers at the lower legs of your fleshraker). Gloves are the common target so don't expect to find others than gloves of dexterity in magic marts BUT if you give some boots (or in your case something the fleshraker can wear) to an enchanter and ask for a +2 dexterity enchantment it won't cost more than gloves. All the assuming your dm knows of that and doesn't think the only items possible for the same price are those printed in the various books.
You can find the rules on which body part connects with which attributes in create magic item section in the DMG. A good example is the vest and cloak of resistance which are both 1000 gold, have the same bonus but other slots.

deathwolf669
2014-02-12, 05:41 AM
Feint's End thanks for pointing out that I can have items but on different parts, I haven't been told that yet.

Instead of a mithral shirt I am thinking Leather scale with Nimbleness added to it, but how do I price up Leather Scale barding of nimbleness. The Leather scale is 35, so that is 70 being an odd shape, master work is 150 and the nimbleness says "Price:+1 bonus"

EDIT: If I have worked it out right the Leather of nimbleness should be 1220gp or have I gone wrong?

Feint's End
2014-02-12, 05:54 AM
Feint's End thanks for pointing out that I can have items but on different parts, I haven't been told that yet.

Instead of a mithral shirt I am thinking Leather scale with Nimbleness added to it, but how do I price up Leather Scale barding of nimbleness. The Leather scale is 35, so that is 70 being an odd shape, master work is 150 and the nimbleness says "Price:+1 bonus"

Well let's see. Leather scale armor is 35 times 2 because uncommon shape makes 70. Add 150 for masterwork then we sit at 220.

You need to look at the +2 pricing on the chart for magic armor now. Essentially the chart you see in the DMG is enhancement bonus of the armor (must be at least one) + other enhancements. Now if you want nimble you need at least a +1 enhancement and nimble on top of that making it a +2 armor for pricing purposes. All that increases the price by 4000 (price for a +2 armor).

All together the armor you image in would cost 4220 and would be called "Nimble Leather Scale Armor +1".

Might I ask though why you don't want a mithral chainshirt? It has better stats for approximately half the price and will scale better with further enchantments (mainly because it only has a +1 bonus and therefor will be easier to further enhance).

deathwolf669
2014-02-12, 06:11 AM
With the bracers of dex my dex bonus is at +7 so with the mithral shirt it makes the bracers of dex obsolete or is there a way to boost the dex bonus of the mithral chain shirt?

Feint's End
2014-02-12, 06:52 AM
With the bracers of dex my dex bonus is at +7 so with the mithral shirt it makes the bracers of dex obsolete or is there a way to boost the dex bonus of the mithral chain shirt?

Mithral chain shirt with Nimble enchantment?

Leather Scale with Nimble enchanment: Light / 4220 gp / +4 AC / +7 Max Dex / -0 ArCheck / 10% SpFail / Spd unaffected / 20 lbs.

Mithral Chain Shirt with Nimble enchantment: Light / 5200 gp / +5 AC / +7 Max Dex / -0 ArCheck / 10% SpFail / Spd unaffected / 12.5 lbs.

The Mithral Chain Shirt is somewhat more expensive but for an increase of 1 ac it is ridiculously cheap (basically 980 gold more for an ac increase of 1 ... also slightly less weight)

deathwolf669
2014-02-12, 07:01 AM
I only have 4,300gp to spend on armour so I can just about grab the leather scale.

I could dump the Amulet of natural armour for a total of 6,300gp. This leaves me 1100 to spend on other things. Any suggestions on crystals or other equipment for her?

EDIT: I forgot I took off the gloves of dex so I wouldnt have to worry about nimbleness :D

So I could take Mithal +1 barding, would the mithral chain shirt be at x2 due to being an odd shape?

SPoilaaja
2014-02-12, 07:05 AM
You should buff his saves. Maybe cloak/vest of resistance +1?

deathwolf669
2014-02-12, 07:19 AM
A knitted vest of resistance it is.

Knitted just to make my other half happy :D

So is the mithral x2 or fine as it is

Feint's End
2014-02-12, 07:24 AM

So is the mithral x2 or fine as it is

the base cost of the chain shirt (the 100) doubles but not the 1000. The cost I wrote in the other post contains the cost for unusual shape already :smallsmile: ... all finished out for your convenience.

Mithral Chain Shirt with Nimble enchantment: Light / 5200 gp / +5 AC / +7 Max Dex / -0 ArCheck / 10% SpFail / Spd unaffected / 12.5 lbs.

200 = Chainshirt in unusual shape
1000 = Mithral
1000 = +1 Bonus
3000 = Nimbleness
together 5200

deathwolf669
2014-02-12, 07:31 AM

200 = Chainshirt in unusual shape
1000 = Mithral
1000 = +1 Bonus
3000 = Nimbleness
together 5200

So I can drop the 2,100 and spend it on something else. Well 1,100 with the vest.

I think I will keep hold of that till later :D

MesiDoomstalker
2014-02-12, 09:17 AM

EDIT: If I have worked it out right the Leather of nimbleness should be 1220gp or have I gone wrong?

I mentioned Bracelets of Dexterity.... Depending on your GM, a Bracelet would either be a hand or forearm slot, but either way, they are associated with Dexterity. Also don't forget that according to MiC, certain mechanical bonuses can be stacked onto other items at no surcharge. Basically anything whose effect is +X to Y can be applied to anything of the appropriate slot, costing the same as an independent item of the same quality (along with the cost of the other magical stuff that item contains).

deathwolf669
2014-02-12, 06:14 PM
MesiDoomstalker> I will keep that in mind.

Ok after shuffling things I had on myself I had some extra money. I have given him so +1 mithral chain shirt, Ring of deflection +1 and vest of resistance +1.

I have 2,475 left. I cannot see anything now that gives an extra bonus to AC as I was told bracers of armour don't stack with the Mithral and amulet of nature will not stack with my natural armour.

Would the Wyrmfang amulet be a good idea or should I just save up the cash?

geekintheground
2014-02-12, 07:04 PM
possibly also a +con item, to raise the poison DC.

Grayson01
2014-02-12, 08:30 PM
Well Bracelets of Dexterity +X would work for Dex buffing. And Amulet of Natural Armor and Ring of Protection will buff up its AC nicely. Bracers of Armor would do so as well.

Remember if you are giving it armor, it still needs to be proficient with said armor. Namely, you need at least Light Armor Proficiency and stick with that since you want high Dex you want a high Dex bonus armor.

Isn't the penelty for wearing Armor you are not proficent in just doubling the Armor Check penality and with Light armor it's proabaly 0 or 1 (assume it's master work) so you reallyd don't even need to waste the feat on Proficancy.

TuggyNE
2014-02-12, 10:34 PM
Isn't the penelty for wearing Armor you are not proficent in just doubling the Armor Check penality and with Light armor it's proabaly 0 or 1 (assume it's master work) so you reallyd don't even need to waste the feat on Proficancy.

No, the penalty is taking the ACP to attack rolls and all skills that involve moving.

Still, if the ACP is small enough it doesn't matter much.

MesiDoomstalker
2014-02-13, 02:45 AM
MesiDoomstalker> I will keep that in mind.

Ok after shuffling things I had on myself I had some extra money. I have given him so +1 mithral chain shirt, Ring of deflection +1 and vest of resistance +1.

I have 2,475 left. I cannot see anything now that gives an extra bonus to AC as I was told bracers of armour don't stack with the Mithral and amulet of nature will not stack with my natural armour.

Would the Wyrmfang amulet be a good idea or should I just save up the cash?

This is incorrect. Amulet of Natural Armor provides an Enhancement Bonus to Natural Armor, while your Fleshraker has a Racial Bonus to Natural Armor. An Amulet of Natural Armor will ALWAYS stack with Natural Armor unless you're getting your Natural Armor from a Spell or another Item (which 99% of the time will be an Enhancement bonus.

Feint's End
2014-02-13, 07:25 AM
This is incorrect. Amulet of Natural Armor provides an Enhancement Bonus to Natural Armor, while your Fleshraker has a Racial Bonus to Natural Armor. An Amulet of Natural Armor will ALWAYS stack with Natural Armor unless you're getting your Natural Armor from a Spell or another Item (which 99% of the time will be an Enhancement bonus.

This ... you are fine with having an amulet of natural armor on top of your natural armor from race.

Also you do not need profiency with light armor except for the times it actually has an ac penalty (which mithral chain shirt has not ... and besides even with the penalty the feat is probably not worth it because it basically is a to hit increase of 1 at best for the cost of a feat ... and that this is horrible I don't need to explain I think).

killem2
2014-02-13, 06:39 PM
It's 3rd party, but it is written by monte cook, it's a sword and sorcery book, and I am sorry I am drawing a blank but there is a +1 armor enhancement called graceful, that allows no limit on Dex modifier.

Thurbane
2014-02-13, 06:56 PM

I love the mental image of a carnivorous dino strutting around in a knitted vest :smallsmile:

See if you can find him a magical hat, maybe a hat of disguise? :smalltongue:

http://i60.tinypic.com/24m5lrm.jpg