PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Magic items suggestions for a magical Barbarian

Uncle Pine
2014-02-07, 12:45 PM
Hello Playgrounders!
I need some help planning my character's purchases: he's a half-orc Barbarian 8 with the Lion totem, Reckless Charge and Streetfighter ACFs (Str 22, Dex 14, Con 16, Int 6, Wis 6, Cha 6).
Feats: Power Attack, Mage Slayer, Heroic Destiny, Pierce Magical Protection.
Relevant equipment:
Magical shtick - +1 greatsword
+1 flying gauntlet
Permanent Mage Armor - +1 chain shirt with restful crystal
Bag of Holding - Sack
Bag of Tricks (tan)
Cloak of Weaponry
Anklets Beards of Translocation (as Anklets of Translocation, but they're made out of beards of fallen Wizards and work 4 times/day)
Custom lens of Guidance of the Avatar 1 time/day
Fireball - Black cat familiar "Casted" during a bar brawl and gone missing afterward, probably dead
Fireball II - Iguana familiar Buried alive with its owner (it's a long story), dead
Fireball III - Monkey familiar, currently alive

Basically, as you might have already understood, this character's goal is to kick Wizards to the curb with magic. Well, sort of. He's really just your usual Barbarian charger, but with low-priced fancy magic items he uses to "do magic" as if he were a wizard because he strongly believes to be a Wizard. Credit to Gnome Alone for the original concept.

The next things I'd like to achieve are:
1) impressive ability to soak up hit point damage (just in case the DM decides to throw us some big boss);
2) ability to withstand a couple of splitted (and possibly twinned) Rays of Stupidity (or any other similar spell that targets mental abilities scores).
Will saves are not a problem because one of my buddies is an elan Psion with the Elan Resistance, Enhanced feat and the Psychic Bodyguard power. Plus, a real Wizard never fail his Will saves.

I can solve the 1st issue with a custom item of continous Beastland Ferocity with 1 time/day Delay Death (command word "JUST WHO THE HELL YOU THINK KORG IS!?") (estimated cost 11.400 gp), but I strive to find a cheap way to either become immune to ability damage or avoid rays (as my touch AC is often <10). I could take Bind Vestige and bind Naberius, but it isn't Korg-ish at all, and even if a Ray of Stupidity spellblade would be dirty cheap I'm sure that there's like a ton of others spell that can damage mental ability scores.

Any idea? (Thanks in advance for helpful replies)

Vhaidara
2014-02-07, 12:49 PM
For further inspiration on your character (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195049)

An for all your magical item needs (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187851). Miss chance should be very helpful with both of your problems, and mind blank specifically addresses ray of stupidity (mind affecting)

Uncle Pine
2014-02-07, 01:05 PM
An for all your magical item needs (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187851). Miss chance should be very helpful with both of your problems, and mind blank specifically addresses ray of stupidity (mind affecting)

Ray of Stupidity has the [mind-affecting] tag? :smallconfused: I've never noticed it! Thank you, this makes being immune to it orders of magnitute easier! Bonus points for the fact that I've also noticed that Ego Whip also has the same tag.

EDIT: All of the items that grant [mind-affecting] immunity listed in Ernir's post cost 100.000+ gp, is there a cheaper item somewhere that only grants immunity to [mind-affecting] without giving Mind Blank to the user? Or a low- or mid-level spell that I could put into an item?

Vhaidara
2014-02-07, 04:11 PM
Well, Split and Twinned won't be a problem before you can afford it. That takes an 8th level slot.

Not too much I can think of otherwise aside from a Headband of intellect. I'd say miss chance is your best bet, since your opponent would have to land 2 RTAs against you, and they roll separately for miss chance.