PDA

View Full Version : The Anti-Paladin (NPC, Base Class)

Roderick_BR
2007-01-27, 03:47 PM
Okay, since there has been some paladins around, I'll throw one in.
This is actually based on a creature published on a RPG magazine in Brazil once, but it was back in the 2nd edition. I'll make the 3.5 version.

Anti-paladin.
Sometimes, when a paladin gets too powerful and famous, the dark powers starts scheming ways to take him down. One of such plans is the creation of a powerful being, with the sole purpose of destroying or corrupting the paladin.

The anti-paladin is a distorted copy of the paladin he was created to destroy (from now on called target paladin). He will usually wear a similar set of gear, and will represent the reverse principles of the target’s paladin (cure/harm, knowledge/ignorance, peace/war, law/crime.)

The creation of an anti-paladin is rare, for they require a great deal of power to be made, so only great heroes will have one hunting him. Usually a high level paladin with enough “world salvation” missions under his belt is a candidate to receive an anti-paladin.

Once the anti-paladin completes his mission, be it by destroying the target paladin, or corruptying him into losing his paladinhood forever, he ceases to exist forever.
If the anti-paladin is destroyed, he’ll reapear after 1 year and 1 day, his level adjusted to the target paladin’s current level.
To defear an anti-paladin forever, a paladin must defeat the anti-paladin in personal combat. The anti-paladin will probably set an arena that he knows will keep the paladin from fighting at his full power, use hostages, and all sort of dirty tricks.

The anti-palading is not recomended for a player character for some reasons:
He has no other mission other than destroy the paladin. He does not care for adventuring.
He doesn’t work well in groups, unless he can manipulate them to keep the paladin and his companions distracted and weakened.
He’ll usually appear with full gear. He does not need to do anything else.

Game mechanics:

The paladin’s race, and ability scores are the same as the target paladin’s, plus the half-fiend template.
His alignment is always chaotic evil.
He will always have a anti-paladin level equal to the target paladin’s character level, plus 2.
His gear will be the same as the target paladin’s. Any alignment-based power they may have will be changed (Good to Evil and Lawful to Chaotic)
He does not need to sleep or eat, but need to rest for 8 hours to recover smites/contagion usages and spells. He never gets fatigued.
Once a day, the anti-paladin can use Locate to detect the direction the target paladin is.
All his spells will be the reverse of the ones paladins can cast, except for Cure spells, that he can have both Cure and Harm spells.
His CR is his character level, plus adjusts by the template, as normal, +1 for not needing to eat/sleep and the Locate Paladin power.

The Anti-Paladin

{table=head] Level|BAB|Fort|Refl|Will|Special|Spells 1|Spells 2|Spells 3|Spells 4
1|+1|+2|+0|+0|Aura of Evil, Detect Good, Smite Good 1/day|-|-|-|-
2|+2|+3|+0|+0|Dark Blessings, Decaying Touch|-|-|-|-
3|+3|+3|+1|+1|Aura of Despair, Fearless, Unholy Metabolism|-|-|-|-
4|+4|+4|+1|+1|Rebuke Undead|0|-|-|-
5|+5|+4|+1|+1|Smite Good 2/day, Fiendish Servant|0|-|-|-
6|+6/+1|+5|+2|+2|Contagion 1/week|1|-|-|-
7|+7/+2|+5|+2|+2|-|1|-|-|-
8|+8/+3|+6|+2|+2|-|1|0|-|-
9|+9/+4|+6|+3|+3|Contagion 2/week|1|0|-|-
10|+10/+5|+7|+3|+3|Smite Good 3/day|1|1|-|-
11|+11/+6/+1|+7|+3|+3|-|1|1|0|-
12|+12/+7/+2|+8|+4|+4|Contagion 3/week|1|1|1|-
13|+13/+8/+3|+8|+4|+4|-|1|1|1|-
14|+14/+9/+4|+9|+4|+4|-|2|1|1|0
15|+15/+10/+5|+9|+5|+5|Contagion 4/week, Smite Good 4/day|2|1|1|1
16|+16/+11/+6/+1|+10|+5|+5|-|2|2|1|1
17|+17/+12/+7/+2|+10|+5|+5|-|2|2|2|1
18|+18/+13/+8/+3|+11|+6|+6|Contagion 5/week|3|2|2|1
19|+19/+14/+9/+4|+11|+6|+6|-|3|3|3|2
20|+20/+15/+10/+5|+12|+6|+6|Smite Good 5/day|3|3|3|3[/table]

Class Features:
Hit Die: d10
Skills points/level: 2+Int
Class Skills: Handle Animal, Ride, Concentration, Knowledge (nobility and royalt), Knowledge (religion), Bluff, Intimidation

Weapons and Armor: The anti-paladin can use all simple and martial weapons and all armors and shield (except tower)
Aura of Evil: Like a paladin’s Aura of Good, but evil aligned.
Detect Good: The anti-paladin can use Detect Good without daily limit.
Smite Good: Like the Smite Evil ability, but it deals negative energy damage on good aligned characters. He gains one extra use every 5 levels.
Dark Blessings: The anti-paladin gains a profane bonus to Saving Throw bonus equal to his charism a bonus.
Decaying Touch: The anti paladin’s touch can harm living creatures, like a Harm version of the paladin’s Lay-On hands. His touch can restore hit points to undead. Alternatively, he can restore his own hit-points as normal (he is not a undead, so others Cure/Harm effects works as normal on him)
Aura of Despair: Like a Black Guard’s ability, close enemies get a –2 in all his saving throws.
Fearless: Is no longer affected by fear.
Unholy metabolism: The anti-paladin is immune to all diseases.
Rebuke Undead: The anti-paladin can rebuke and command undead as an evil cleric two levels bellow.
Fiendish Servant: Like the Black Guard’s ability. Use the paladin’s table to check the powers his servant will receive based on his character level.
Contagion: Once a week, the anti-paladin can ast Contagion as a spell-like ability. He gains one additional use/week every 3 levels thereafter.

PS: Sorry any typos.

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2007-01-27, 03:51 PM
seems to me you just made a class that's similar to a blackguard. I would also think that an anti-paladin would be evil, not good.

Roderick_BR
2007-01-27, 04:05 PM
seems to me you just made a class that's similar to a blackguard. I would also think that an anti-paladin would be evil, not good.
Seeing as the Black Guard's abilities are evil-versions of the paladin's, yes, that's pretty much it. The crunch part is not that important, the interesting is the story behind the creature.

Oops, changing the alignment.

ishi
2007-01-27, 04:08 PM
It's well done, but probably easy to do using existing material. This class is almost mechanically identical to (although fluffed out differently than) a Paladin of Tyranny (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#paladinofTyrannyClassF eatures). As far as the fluff goes, there is a construct in BoED(?) that has the function that you're looking for, though I can't remember the name, which you may want to take a look at.

Roderick_BR
2007-01-27, 05:34 PM
It's well done, but probably easy to do using existing material. This class is almost mechanically identical to (although fluffed out differently than) a Paladin of Tyranny (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#paladinofTyrannyClassF eatures). As far as the fluff goes, there is a construct in BoED(?) that has the function that you're looking for, though I can't remember the name, which you may want to take a look at.
Thanks, I'll take a look. You mean Book of Exalted Deeds? I have a friend that has it, I'll ask him to lend me it.