PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder - Magic Weapon Question

Splendor
2014-02-07, 02:46 PM
If you have a +1 Long sword and you throw it, do you get the +1 to hit?

I am of two minds. A) Its a magic bonus and magic makes no sense, so sure. B) No, the magic enchantment enhances the weapons normal mode of attack. Melee attack with the blade. You also wouldn't get the bonus if you attacked someone with the hilt or the flat of the blade.

The reason I ask is because our Wizard/Alchemist is using a +1 weapon with throw anything. I didn't allow the weapon the bonus to hit when it was a masterwork weapon because 'it wasn't properly balanced for a masterwork throwing weapon' he agreed and it was no problem. But now its a +1 weapon and he expects that +1.

Any actual rules that say one way or the other?

Psyren
2014-02-07, 02:54 PM
You do get the bonus:

A magic weapon is enhanced to strike more truly and deliver more damage. Magic weapons have enhancement bonuses ranging from +1 to +5. They apply these bonuses to both attack and damage rolls when used in combat.

It says "attack and damage rolls" not "melee attack and damage rolls." If the weapon in question is designed to not be thrown (like a Longsword) then the attacker takes a -4 penalty and the weapon has a range increment of 10ft. Throw Anything, which your alchemist has, will remove the former penalty.

He's paid the required cost to use that particular tactic, let him do so. It's hardly the most overpowered thing a Wizchemist could be doing.

Bigbeefie
2014-02-07, 03:09 PM
If you have a +1 Long sword and you throw it, do you get the +1 to hit?

You do get the bonus:

It says "attack and damage rolls" not "melee attack and damage rolls." If the weapon in question is designed to not be thrown (like a Longsword) then the attacker takes a -4 penalty and the weapon has a range increment of 10ft. Throw Anything, which your alchemist has, will remove the former penalty.

He's paid the required cost to use that particular tactic, let him do so. It's hardly the most overpowered thing a Wizchemist could be doing.

Correct....You get the Bonus.