PDA

View Full Version : The Tombs of Redrise



Pages : 1 [2]

Mauril Everleaf
2007-02-01, 05:57 PM
Mauril, oblivious to Sauros and Pelgof's stopping, continues to examine the door, looking for anything obviously out of place.

He does however hear the cry from Sauros and the roar of the elemental and promptly turn around to see what is happening. This cannot be good....

Xaspian
2007-02-01, 05:59 PM
((Anything out of place... except the huge elemental...))

Pelgof falls to the ground, and struggles to get up, grabbing his crossbow.

Mauril Everleaf
2007-02-01, 06:02 PM
((Did the Elemental notice me?))
Mauril has his imp cast Invisibility on the both of them again. Mauril prepares an attack, waiting for the opportune moment.

Saurous
2007-02-01, 06:04 PM
The elemental crashes into the middle of the room, landing with a loud "BRKSH!". It turns to face the group. He doesn't really notice Mauril.

Reh'san sends you his regards.

The elemental seems different from the other elementals.


As the creature turns, Saurous reaches for his scythe. He stands up, facing the elemental.

You can tell Reh'san this.

Saurous raises his left hand to the elemental.

Enervation!

Mauril Everleaf
2007-02-01, 06:10 PM
Auresh Himbl Jakar ALIA! Mauril unleashes a devastating black grey ray from his right hand. That ray seems to crackle with white and blue. ((I hope you guys aren't too close. I just sent 1d10 + 25d6 anti-matter energy at it. Makes a 10' radius blast on impact, dealing 15d6 to all in radius. I just remember that I'm lawful, so I switched it to my Element:Earth attack. Same damage but only affects things made of earth. The ground is gonna be kinda destroyed though.))

Xaspian
2007-02-01, 06:17 PM
Pelgof watches the others attack, and readies in case he needs to defend himself.

Mauril Everleaf
2007-02-01, 06:22 PM
((Sadly I must depart. I will use similar attacks on this creature until it is destroyed, then follow you guys to wherever we go. I have 15d6 worth of damage that I can add to my 1d10 attacks.))

((nevermind. I've got another hour. So I'm good.))

Meynolds
2007-02-01, 06:24 PM
Chance pulls out Dararis (his silver blade) and a wand, assuming a defensive posture.

He launches a fireball, however much good that will do with Mauril's spell.

((I wanted to pick up any other books there were, I'll do that after combat.))

Saurous
2007-02-01, 06:24 PM
Both the Enervation and anti-matter blast hits the elemental. The enervation blast strikes the creature in between it's eyes, causing it to screech in pain as the dark energy takes hold. ((3 negative levels (http://invisiblecastle.com/rolldice.py?u=no+one&r=1&d=1d4&n=&a=Roll+the+dice))). It stumbles backwards...right into the anti-matter blast. ((Ouch (http://invisiblecastle.com/rolldice.py?u=no+one&r=1&d=25d6%2B1d10&n=&a=Roll+the+dice)))

The blast blows a huge chunk out out of the elementals back. It stumbles forward, landing on it's face. It pulls itself back up.

You're going to wish you hadn't done that...

It charges in the direction of where Mauril was.

Mauril Everleaf
2007-02-01, 06:27 PM
Mauril, still invisible, moves quickly to more open ground, and uses (essentially) a cantrip of fire to attempt to distract the elemental. ((Example: Mauril runs left and produces a small flame far to his right, about 15 feet away or so. This expends no mana points (in case you were counting, I have 15 left).))

Meynolds
2007-02-01, 06:28 PM
Chance jumps up and begins to fly, launching another Fireball ((He has more than enough...))

Xaspian
2007-02-01, 06:30 PM
Pelgof finally decides to act. He fires his crossbow with one hand, and releases a blast of shadow with the other.

Saurous
2007-02-01, 06:38 PM
The elemental stumbles into the fire, distracting it for a moment.

Saurous let's loose another Enervation spell, while simulatniously tossing an Ace of Spades illusion card onto the ground. The illusion of a lich appears. The lich illusion floats toward the elemental.

The fireball misses the elemental by a hair. The elemental stands back up, looking around.

The crossbow bolt strikes the elemental between the "eyes", creating a large blast of sound. The elemental stumbles backwards.

Upon seeing the lich, the elemental decides that now would be a good time to retreat, as the Enervation hits him in the arm. He stumbles backwards, and then moves towards the tunnel entrance, dissapearing in the earth.

Meynolds
2007-02-01, 06:40 PM
((Are there any books left?))

So, where did it go?

Mauril Everleaf
2007-02-01, 06:40 PM
Well, that was... interesting. Mauril takes a few steps over toward where the elemental disappeared.

Xaspian
2007-02-01, 06:41 PM
Well, that was fun

While speaking, he summons another shadow-bolt from the darkness, and reloads the crossbow.

Saurous
2007-02-01, 06:43 PM
It most likely burrowed back to the surface. That elemental seemed oddly intelligent compared to it's bretheren. With intellect comes knowing when to give up.

Saurous picks the card up, dispelling the lich image. He smirks.

A lich. The hope of all necromancers.

Mauril Everleaf
2007-02-01, 06:44 PM
Sauros, would you mind if we tried something? I want to test a Bolt of Earth Disruption ((as Dirupt Undead, but on Earth Elementals)). You wanna test it out on the next one? Pelgof will need to let me put it in his crossbow, of course.

Saurous
2007-02-01, 06:45 PM
Of course.

Saurous pulls out his spellbook, looking it over. He then leaves the chamber, hoping no more elementals pop up.

Mauril Everleaf
2007-02-01, 06:46 PM
Mauril, again, heads over to the barred door. ((Assuming it's not magical)) He then tests the strength of the bar.

Meynolds
2007-02-01, 06:47 PM
Chance grabs any books left, if there are any, and goes with Saurous.

Mauril Everleaf
2007-02-01, 06:48 PM
((Wait...are we leaving altogether, or just this room?))

Xaspian
2007-02-01, 06:49 PM
No problem.

Pelgof dismisses the shadow bolt, and takes the crossbow over to where he thinks Mauril is.

Mauril Everleaf
2007-02-01, 06:50 PM
Mauril, seeing that Pelgos is walking in the complete wrong direction, produces a small flame similar to earlier. I'm over here.

Xaspian
2007-02-01, 06:51 PM
Pelgof turns around.

Ah... Sorry.

Saurous
2007-02-01, 06:53 PM
((Just the room))

Saurous enters the previous entrance chamber.

Perhaps we should investigate the other coffin chamber. If it is anything similar to this room, we could find several useful objects.

Mauril Everleaf
2007-02-01, 06:56 PM
As soon as Pelgof come near enough, Mauril switches the flame to his left hand, and begins to chant. Auresh Himbl Jakar. An average size crossbow bolt appears in the groove of the crossbow. It seems to hum a bit with small hints of grey, blue and white coursing over the surface. ((Should do 1d8 + 2d6, will save or disrupt an Earth Elemental. If you hit, of course.)) Mauril then makes a second one and gives it to Pelgof. In case we run into more.

Meynolds
2007-02-01, 06:58 PM
Chance goes over to the other coffin chamber, and goes to open the door.

Xaspian
2007-02-01, 06:58 PM
Thanks

He goes into the same room as Saurous.

((I might be away for the next half-hour or so.))

Mauril Everleaf
2007-02-01, 06:59 PM
((I thought I was already in this room, tugging on this door. Apparently I was in the wrong room messing with an imaginary door.))

Saurous
2007-02-01, 07:08 PM
The door swings open, clunking against the doorway. Saurous enters the room, and looks about.

The room is very similar to the previous room. Four coffins sit in the alcoves. A large, circular arangment of benches sit in the middle of the room. On the wall opposite of the door, various runic lettering glows.

Saurous walks over to the opposite wall, inspecting the text. He casts Comprehend Languages upon himself.

Hmm..

Mauril Everleaf
2007-02-01, 07:11 PM
Well, what does it say? Mauril walks into the room, noticing the glowing runes, but heads off toward one of the coffins.

Meynolds
2007-02-01, 07:11 PM
Chance heads to a different coffin, and tries to open the lid.

Saurous
2007-02-01, 07:16 PM
More praise for the gods of rock, metal, and mountains. It's text mentions the rising the elementals. Also, the magical words...

He writes the text on a scrap of paper, and then holds it up. It reads:

Yma'rife cemob uoyr onwdallf

Saurous then looks at a nearby coffin, trying to push the lid off.

Mauril Everleaf
2007-02-01, 07:18 PM
Mauril wastes no time trying to lift the lid off. He just anti-matter blasts away the cover, and peers inside.

Saurous
2007-02-01, 07:32 PM
Saurous' coffin's lid shifts, revealing a cadaver and two objects. One is an ebony skull, while the other is a pan flute.

Inside Mauril's coffin, no corpse lies, but a periapt and a glowing blue scimitar rest inside.

Meynold's coffin shifts, revealing another corpse (what a surprise). The dead person is wearing a chainmail shirt. He holds a wand in his hands.

Mauril Everleaf
2007-02-01, 07:35 PM
((Mine never have dead guys in them. *mock pout*))
Mauril has the Desrik cast Detect Magic on both items, and then (assuming both are, in fact, magical) crushed two more gems to identify them.

Meynolds
2007-02-01, 07:37 PM
Chance picks up the wand and looks it over, casting detect magic from a wand, plus Identify if it turns up positive. Same for the rest of the body.

Saurous
2007-02-01, 07:48 PM
Saurous casts Identify on the two objects. The skull is indeed not just a skull, but a mask. The Mask of the Skull. The pipes are the Pipes of Pain. After picking the items out of the coffin, Saurous places the lid back, and sits on one of the benches. He tries to deciever the text he copied.

The wand is a wand of Fire wall. The chainmail is Celestial Armor.

The periapt is the Periapt of Wound Closing. The scimitar is a +2 Icy Burst scimitar. The odd thing about the scimitar is, that when the lid of the coffin moved, the blade started moving.

Mauril Everleaf
2007-02-01, 07:52 PM
((I never moved the lid. I just kinda removed it from existence. And what does the Periapt do exactly? I'm not too hip on 3.5.))

Meynolds
2007-02-01, 07:56 PM
He puts the wand away, and casts teleport on the Armor, sending it back to the Guildhall.

He mutters to himself:
That shall be interesting to enchant further.

Xaspian
2007-02-01, 08:01 PM
Pelgof snaps out of his trance

Huh? What did I miss? Oh great. Loot.

Mauril Everleaf
2007-02-01, 08:04 PM
There's still one more coffin. Have at it. ((On that note, I must bid you all adieu. I'm headed home for the night. If you need me, Mauril will follow the party while invisible, casting 1d10 anti-matter blasts at will, or he can add up to 14d6 of elemental energy to any blast or successive blasts. See you guys tomorrow.))

Xaspian
2007-02-01, 08:06 PM
Pelgof goes over to the unopened coffin, and gives the lid a shove open.

Saurous
2007-02-01, 08:06 PM
((When I said "move" I meant "when the lid went away". The periapt is a red stone hanging on a gold chain. The wearer automatically becomes stable if his hit points drop between -1 and -9. It also doubles the healing rate of the wearer and wounds and allows healing of wounds that normally wouldn't heal.))

Saurous continues reading until he shouts:

Of course! The text means "May fire become your downfall"!

Upon saying this, a beam of red light comes from the runes on the wall. It flies through the air, towards the center of the circle of benches. It creates a large, orange portal. Small, medium, and large fire elementals pour out of the portal and into the ruins. They glide out of the door to the entrance room as quickly as they appeared.

Meynolds
2007-02-01, 08:08 PM
I suspect we should follow them. Or at least I should, fire won't hurt me.

Xaspian
2007-02-01, 08:11 PM
Umm... was that a good thing to happen?

Saurous
2007-02-01, 08:15 PM
I can not tell. The words "May fire become your downfall" do not sound very welcoming. But I believe following them may be the wisest course of action.

The lid of the coffin shifts, revealing the corpse, yaddah yaddah yaddah. Two items reside in the coffin. One is a robe placed on the corpses body. The other is a large pearl.

Meynolds
2007-02-01, 08:21 PM
Chance begins to follow the elementals.

Saurous
2007-02-01, 08:22 PM
((I apologize, but we are going to have to continue this tommorow. I need to sleep soon and my eyes are somehow moving in directions they really shouldn't. *prays for more snow*))

Xaspian
2007-02-01, 08:51 PM
Pelgof inspects the robes for any enchantments, and then the pearl.

If there is nothing on the robes, he grabs the pearl and (examines it as he) follows Chance.

((Farestyde. *sacrifices monkey statue to the snow deities*.))

Mauril Everleaf
2007-02-02, 11:19 AM
((I'm back. And Woot! Fire Elementals! Time for some cold magic!))

Mauril places the Periapt around his neck, and carefully places has his imp put the sword in his bag of holding.

Saurous
2007-02-02, 03:40 PM
Pelgof's robe is the Robe of Useful Items. The pearl is the Pearl of the Sirines. ((Incase you don't know what that is, when clasped in the hand or held against the chest, one can breath underwater, move quickly underwater, and can act and cast spells in the water unhindered))

Saurous revives the cadavers in the coffins as he follows after Chance. One spectre, one ghast, and one zombie follow after him.

As they enter the entrance room, several fire elementals cling to the walls. They notice the adventuring party leave the previous room and rush towards the balcony.

Mauril Everleaf
2007-02-02, 03:44 PM
((They are running away from us?))
Unless you tell me not to, I'm going to try and freeze one of the smaller ones.

Saurous
2007-02-02, 03:49 PM
((Hey, if I want a plot device, there will be a plot device!))

Go ahead. But leave some of them un-frozen. They seem to know where they are going. Perhaps we will be able to follow them somewhere of interest.

The elementals all somehow manage to fit onto the balcony. They shift around for a bit, and then a loud sliding noise is heard. The elementals seem to dissapear into the wall.

Meynolds
2007-02-02, 03:53 PM
Chance flies over to the balcony and looks at where the elementals disappeared.

Mauril Everleaf
2007-02-02, 03:53 PM
((The balcony is obviously above ground level, but how high up?))
Well, there goes that opportunity to test my powers. I vote we follow them.

Saurous
2007-02-02, 03:58 PM
((It is about ten feet off the floor of the room, which is about ten feet below sea level. So, it's about equal to sea level, but very high up compared to where the group is currently standing.))

Saurous goes into ghostform, floating up to the balcony. The spectre follows, floating up after him. The ghast climbs along the wall next to the balcony. The zombie stands on the floor below, grunting.

Apparently, a secret door opened and the fire elementals poured into it. One can see the slowest of fire elementals still tearing down the dark hallway.

Mauril Everleaf
2007-02-02, 04:00 PM
Uh, guys. A little help. Me no teleport. I could try and air push myself up there ((kinda like Storm from X-men)) but that could get kinda taxing, and a bit unstable.

Meynolds
2007-02-02, 04:02 PM
((Wings and good strength, what a wondrous combination.))

Chance doubles back and tries to carry Mauril up.

Mauril Everleaf
2007-02-02, 04:04 PM
Mauril, not being too heavy ((less than an average human)), is easily lifted by Chance. Desrik takes wing and flies up to the balcony and awaits his master.

Meynolds
2007-02-02, 04:06 PM
Chance lands on the balcony letting Mauril down softly. He then looks around, especially where the elementals disappeared.

Mauril Everleaf
2007-02-02, 04:07 PM
Mauril heads down the tunnel ((I assume it's a tunnel)) behind the secret door, after the elementals. Desrik "invisible-izes" both himself and his master.

Saurous
2007-02-02, 04:10 PM
((Dangit. I need to go. I will be back in about an hour.))

Mauril Everleaf
2007-02-02, 06:21 PM
((I'm gone for the weekend. I'll be back Monday, bright and early. If you guys continue over the weekend, I give Sauros control over Mauril. He has 14 mana points left (or can add up to 14d6 of any elemental energy to his 1d10 anti-matter attack). Don't use them if anti-matter will suffice. He will regain them if we rest for more than 4 hours, back to a total of 30 (we are playing lvl 15 chars, right). Desrik is a normal imp, and will use his Detect Magic and Invisibility at will, so unless you need me not to be, Mauril and Desrik will be invisible. Good hunting.))

Xaspian
2007-02-03, 09:11 AM
((I won't have easy computer access for a while. Might just be the weekend, but may be until Wednesday.))

Pelgof takes the robes, and disappears into shadows in the room he's in, hiding until further notice.

Saurous
2007-02-04, 12:15 PM
((Well, no one is here, but prepare for plot continuation!))

As the small group proceeds down the hallway, several clicks and shifting noises begin. After several moments, a loud "FWOOSH" is heard, and a barrier of pure fire springs up in front of the group. Saurous stumbles backwards.

Meynolds
2007-02-04, 12:17 PM
((I'm here. FIRE!))

Chance puts his left hand into the flames

Saurous
2007-02-04, 12:18 PM
As Chance touches the flames, a surge of pain and agony confronts him. This ain't no regular fire.

Meynolds
2007-02-04, 12:21 PM
He removes his hand from the "fire" and steps back from the "fire" casting create water on his arm.

Saurous
2007-02-04, 12:34 PM
Saurous makes many attempts to destroy the fire or get past it. Including, but not limited to: Using ghostform to get past it, sending the ghast, spectre, and zombie through it, using random necromantic and evocation spells on it, and trying the magic items he had accumulated throughout the tombs. None of his attemtps work.

Perhaps leaving and coming back with back-up would be the best course of action. We are going nowhere with this. Besides, coming back with more people would make our chances of surviving more preferable.

((Also, I'm getting tired of this plot-line.))

Meynolds
2007-02-04, 12:43 PM
I think we're going at this "fire" all wrong. Couldn't we just teleport around it? Though it is true more people would give us a better chance of surviving.

Saurous
2007-02-04, 12:52 PM
Also, as active as the town is, I bet we missed alot while we are gone.

Saurous begins to teleport back to the guild.

We can bring out a larger research team to exploit-I...mean, "research" the power's deeper in the tombs.

Meynolds
2007-02-04, 12:56 PM
True enough. He follows Saurous, teleporting as well.

Saurous
2007-02-04, 12:58 PM
Why are you narrating yourself?

Meynolds
2007-02-04, 01:02 PM
((That was an accident in typing. Oddly, I can't directly access the page to edit it. Just pretend that didn't happen.))

I'm not.

Mauril Everleaf
2007-02-05, 10:54 AM
Mauril has followed along the whole time. Yeah, more people could be better. Specifically a cleric and maybe a rogue would be nice, though some meatsh.....er, fighter types would be useful.

I'm gonna need some help getting back to base. Me no teleport.