PDA

View Full Version : Duel Wield "Fighter" 3.5?

jordan.k93
2014-02-07, 04:14 PM
So I'm playing a Duel Wield Fighter in my 3.5 campaign, and everyone's saying "Why didn't you just go ranger?" to which I respond "**** off."

But to be fair, would ranger be better? I'm thinking that the vast amount of feats that fighters get you could easily pick up TWF and have plenty left over to play with.

Forrestfire
2014-02-07, 04:33 PM
"You'd do better by dropping both Fighter and Ranger and using a Warblade."

Now that that's out of the way, onto the actual classes:

The Fighter and Ranger both do two-weapon fighting alright (sorta...), they both get some feats for it, but at least the ranger has access to spells and non-terrible skills, so it's got much more versatility.

If I were to choose between them, I'd prefer Ranger, because all the fighter feats in the world aren't going to match 6+ skill points and the Ranger's small pool of spells. You're spending a ton of money and feats on a damage style that takes a lot of work to do alright (not even well), so having some utility outside of combat is probably stronger.

Psyren
2014-02-07, 04:44 PM
The problem with TWF is that, without a bonus damage mechanic of some kind, your output won't be very high. This is because (a) TWF feats tend to require high Dex, which is harder to get to damage and ends up wanting you to sacrifice Str, and (b) your offhand attacks get a lower value from Str. TWF is also expensive since you have to regularly maintain two weapons instead of one, and keep your defenses up while keeping your armor light.

Ranger helps this somewhat with Favored Enemy and its spells, but the former tends to be limited (if you don't face your favored enemy/enemies you're right back to doing weak damage) and. But Ranger also gets an animal companion, which can be optimized into a powerful flanking buddy and increases your character's contribution to overall DPR considerably. Of course, a companion exacerbates the money issues since you'll probably want to outfit him too at higher levels, unless you don't mind him being smeared into paste by the latest tentacled horror.

D4rkh0rus
2014-02-07, 04:46 PM
"You'd do better by dropping both Fighter and Ranger and using a Warblade."

Now that that's out of the way, onto the actual classes:

You forgot to add that if he chooses a ranger he needs to be a drow with two scimitars, its right there in the ranger entry.

Anyways. Fighters get Feats. lots of feats... so many feats you wont know what to do with...
what will you do with them? get +2 dmg on all attacks? +4? thats about it...

ranger gives you +4 skill points per level, a respectable spell and skill list, decent class abilities, A FREAKING PET, oh and favored enemy.

Whats worth more is up to you.

Net gain of +6 to hit and +6 to damage.... or all that cool stuff.

Oh and if you like mobile attackers, Cleric 1/Ranger 15/Scout 4 with swift ranger is always awesome.

KorbeltheReader
2014-02-07, 04:47 PM
Is it also obligatory to add that you could also do better by going rogue and getting some sneak attack dice on those bad boys?

Anyway, seconding ranger. You really don't have to choose though; there's nothing wrong with a 1-2 level dip in fighter for the bonus feats. Also, if you do go ranger, consider trading away the animal companion. It's cool, but it scales so slowly that it'll just be a liability by level 8.

D4rkh0rus
2014-02-07, 04:49 PM
Is it also obligatory to add that you could also do better by going rogue and getting some sneak attack dice on those bad boys?

Anyway, seconding ranger. You really don't have to choose though; there's nothing wrong with a 1-2 level dip in fighter for the bonus feats. Also, if you do go ranger, consider trading away the animal companion. It's cool, but it scales so slowly that it'll just be a liability by level 8.

I disagree. a lvl 7 Ranger with natural bond has a wolf thats singlehandedly carrying the party.

Either way, Citiscape web Enhancement lets you trade your companion for a familiar, I say thats a good trade since the familiar does grow with you.

BowStreetRunner
2014-02-07, 04:54 PM
It really depends on your overall goals.

A ranger gets the Two-Weapon Fighting, Improved TWF, and Greater TWF feat chain resolved by 11th level without having to meet the DEX requirement. At that point, the ranger will also have 3 favored enemies, Track and Swift Tracker, Wild empathy, Endurance, an Animal Companion, Woodland Stride, Evasion, and 3rd level spells. He gets 4 more skill points per level than the fighter and a better Reflex save, although he averages one fewer hit point per level as well.

A fighter won't actually be able to complete the chain until 12th level and will need a DEX of 19 by that time. At that point, the fighter will have three additional bonus feats compared with the ranger.

A warblade can also complete the chain at 12th level if he has a DEX of 19 by that time. At that point he will have 9 maneuvers (5 readied) and 3 stances, as well as a Uncanny Dodge and Improved UD. He will have 2 more skill points per level than the fighter, but 2 less than the ranger. His Reflex save will be somewhere between the two as well, as he can add his INT bonus to it. On average he will have one more hit point per level than the fighter, or two more than the ranger. He will be able to retrain his Weapon Focus and similar feats, and will be able to add his INT bonus to critical confirmation and on damage against flat-footed or flanked opponents. The warblade will have to use his normal feats in order to purchase the feats however, although he will get two bonus feats (from a limited list) to offset this partially.

IMHO there really aren't three fighter bonus feats worth all you give up by not choosing Ranger or Warblade by this point. The only reason to go with Fighter for TWF would be if you are trying for the Weapon Supremacy feat or something like that later on.

Doug Lampert
2014-02-07, 05:20 PM
So I'm playing a Duel Wield Fighter in my 3.5 campaign, and everyone's saying "Why didn't you just go ranger?" to which I respond "**** off."

But to be fair, would ranger be better? I'm thinking that the vast amount of feats that fighters get you could easily pick up TWF and have plenty left over to play with.

If you have the dex a fighter does slightly more damage against anyone but favored enemies, and has slightly more HP.

The ranger doesn't need the dex and thus will often work better than a single classed fighter. And that's not including all the other advantages to ranger. So there's a case to be made for ranger. But the fighter build is MUCH more multi-class friendly as the ranger needs to take ranger to level 11 to get his bonus feats, while a level 4 fighter/level 7 whatever could also have the TWF chain out of his fighter bonus feats.

Or if you delay that 3rd off-hand attack 2 levels then in core only you can be Fighter 6/Rogue 7, and get an extra feat and 4d6 of sneak attack + other rogue goodies. Which for damage dealing is dramatically better than either straight ranger or straight fighter.

Broadly, TWF is a flavor driven choice anyway, two handed weapon is almost always dramatically better at simply dealing damage unless you have lots of bonus damage. Arguing with your choice of fighter on a sub-optimal flavor driven decision (TWF) strikes me as odd. If I were going to argue that your build should be better I'd start with TWF sucks without a big source of bonus damage. Given that your friends aren't making that argument I'd simply assume they don't know what they're talking about and ignore them.

animewatcha
2014-02-07, 05:26 PM
Something that needs to be gotten out of the way. What sources are you allowed?

Magesmiley
2014-02-07, 05:38 PM
Well, there is one downside to remember with the TWF ranger: armor. A lot of people forget that the version of TWF that rangers get limits what armor they can wear to light or no armor. A fighter who spends a bonus feat to get TWF can wear full plate and use the feat.

Urpriest
2014-02-07, 05:42 PM
In general, if a character is going to choose to do TWF, it will be because they have some sort of bonus damage that is multiplied on attacks. Since the sorts of meaningful, broadly applicable bonus damage available to single-classed Fighters and Rangers (Power Attack, Str bonus) aren't multiplied when you use TWF, in general those characters will not choose to engage in TWF as often as Rogues or other characters with bonus damage like Scouts and some Bards.

HaikenEdge
2014-02-07, 05:43 PM
Well, there is one downside to remember with the TWF ranger: armor. A lot of people forget that the version of TWF that rangers get limits what armor they can wear to light or no armor. A fighter who spends a bonus feat to get TWF can wear full plate and use the feat.

Except you then lose the benefit of having the high dex required to get TWF feats due to armor Max Dex penalties.

MeiLeTeng
2014-02-07, 05:48 PM

If your DEX is high enough to qualify for the feats, wearing full plate seems like a giant waste.

*Edit* Ninja'd.

Zweisteine
2014-02-07, 05:52 PM
Ranger is generally a better class, but if your actual goal is just to have TWF capabilities, Fighter can probably pull it off more effectively. The Ranger gets the TWF feats at the lowest possible level, though, so it's something of a toss-up (especially because a straight fighter gets Greater TWF at a higher level, actually).
If you're feeling a bit feat-starved, ask your DM if you can replace bonus feats you already have. Then be a ranger with a fighter dip for the feats.

The absolute best route, though, for a two-weapon fighter, would have to be Warblade.

Unless you want to do silly things like be a caster focusing on TWF, for some silly reason. No, seriously.

SiuiS
2014-02-07, 05:57 PM
I actually prefer swashbuckler 3/fighter everything else, with the PHB 2 ACF on swashbuckler.

For just two weapon fighting, people say "get ranger!" Because it's automatic. Ranger gets 2wf, so it's better right?

Yes, ranger is better... In general. But not for 2wf specifically. You get the feats faster with fighter, or even psychic warrior, and PsyWar provides other stuff that boost 2wf like being able to get bonus damage on crystal weapons and Psionic feats to hit harder with your brain (plus, like, spells or whatever).

If your DEX is high enough to qualify for the feats, wearing full plate seems like a giant waste.

*Edit* Ninja'd.

Using component parts gets you full plate AC but requires medium armor proficiency and shield use. Chain, padding, dhastana, chahar-aina and possibly some other stuff adds up to better fullplate than fullplate.

Unless you want to do silly things like be a caster focusing on TWF, for some silly reason. No, seriously.

It's true. I did this once on a lark. It turns out by the time you make daggerspell stance awesome, you're so high level no one cares anymore.

Twilightwyrm
2014-02-07, 06:12 PM
Ranger tends to be better, but not because they are strictly better at TWF. Other than the main TWF feats, feats in general do not tend to help with twf much, and rangers get higher skill points and spells, so it really boils down to "if can't decide between ranger and fighter, you might as well pick ranger". Additionally, the feat Swift Hunter from Complete Scoundrel lets you stack your Ranger and Scout (Complete Adventurer) levels for determining Skirmish damage. This is where Ranger levels are most often useful in twf, not in and or themselves, but rather by virtue of their synergy with Scouts. It also helps that they have Lion's Charge as a spell, (See Spell Compendium) giving them the ability to full attack on a charge. In case you were wondering, this is also where one level in Cleric can help, as this gives them access to the Travel Devotion feat (Complete Champion), giving them the ability to move their full speed as a swift action.
If you want a character that feels more like a fighter (or you just want to be spiteful towards those that to you to play a Ranger), one of the best twf class combinations is Swashbuckler (Complete Warrior) and Rogue. This is because, again, there is a feat in Complete Scoundral by the name of Daring Outlaw, which lets you stack your Rogue levels and Swashbuckler levels for the purposes of sneak attack.
If this seems confusing to you, that is okay, it is confusing. In order to make TWF very optimal (especially on a Full Base Attack Bonus class), you kind of need to pull from a bunch of different sources. Of the core classes, rogues are actually the best at twf, despite their lower Base Attack Bonus, because each of those weapons gets sneak attack damage. But if you are playing in a game with a mid to low level of optimization, or in a game that is mostly the core books plus a couple others, there is very little appreciable difference between the Ranger and Fighter in terms of raw twf capability. So if you want to be a twf fighter, grab your two weapons, suit up in mithral breastplate armor, and have fun secure in the knowledge that you aren't losing out to the ranger, and will at least be getting hit less, and be able to take more punishment than, your woodland counterpart.

HaikenEdge
2014-02-07, 06:20 PM
Using component parts gets you full plate AC but requires medium armor proficiency and shield use. Chain, padding, dhastana, chahar-aina and possibly some other stuff adds up to better fullplate than fullplate.

Where are these armor component rules you're citing? I'm kind of curious.

OldTrees1
2014-02-07, 06:37 PM
Gloves of the Balanced Hand [Magic Item Compendium pg 105, Cost 8000gp]
Grants the TWF feat or the ITWF if you have TWF already.

Greater Two Weapon Fighting is not worth a feat. Two Weapon Rend can be worth a feat.

HaikenEdge
2014-02-07, 06:49 PM
Or, take a level of Martial Monk and grab Perfect Two-Weapon Fighting.

Psyren
2014-02-07, 06:52 PM

IIRC he's talking about a series of individual mundane items that can be worn on top of and stack with your normal armor. Depending on your reading they can even be enchanted separately.

Pathfinder has a few as well, such as Four Mirror Armor.

OldTrees1
2014-02-07, 06:52 PM

I suspect that breaks RAI hard enough that it is likely for DMs to reject it. Asking for the TWF feat scaling with BAB houserule is likely to have better success.

gorfnab
2014-02-07, 06:59 PM
Without a source of bonus damage, like sneak attack or skirmish, Two Weapon Fighting is lackluster.

A Swift Hunter (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=103) (Ranger (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=8684)/ Scout (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/1044716) with the Swift Hunter feat) is a way to actually get decent damage out of Two Weapon Fighting.

Another option is to go with a Daring Outlaw (Rogue (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8711233)/ Swashbuckler (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=10768.0) with the Daring Outlaw feat) or to go with multiple full attack routines with a Telflammar Shadowlord (a prestige class which requires sneak attacks anyways).

Slipperychicken
2014-02-07, 07:09 PM
Ranger is comparable to the Fighter at fighting, and much better at non-combat tasks. I like being useful between fights, so I prefer Ranger.

ZamielVanWeber
2014-02-07, 07:30 PM
The biggest use I found for fighter was to use the bonus feats to let me qualifybfor using a double weapon.

Snowbluff
2014-02-07, 07:46 PM
Swordsages are natural TWFers, since they qualify for a Dex to damage feat really easily, have other damage boosting abilities, and the Tiger Claw maneuver school

Warblades are the best rounded for the concept. Full BAB and same Tiger Claw Maneuvers. They qualify easily for Eternal Blade, which gives early access to Time Stands Still (2 full attacks), a way to bypass damage reduction, and the ability to take an a turn out of order. They can grab Revenant Blade to count a double weapon as tow handed for power attack. Warblade5/RevenantBlade5/EternalBlade5.

Duskblades are probably the strongest TWF users. At level 13 they can channel a spell with a full attack action. Each attack will deal the spell damage, which can be really high depending on what you're doing. They can be a little feat starved. They are good users of Arcane Strike and Knowledge Devotion, to the point of it being mandatory. Poison Spell and Empower spell are very helpful as well. DB13/Totemist2/CrintiShadowMarauder5 is a really strong ShadowPouncer, which can Full Attack 3+ times in a round.

Save yourself some dex, and grab the Gloves of the Balanced Hand for Imp TWF. Greater TWF has a pretty low hit chance, so most avoid it.

Poison Rings (Dragon Magazine Compendium) are great for TWF, since they are light weapons (Only a -2/-2 to attack), and are touch attacks.

It's a not a [Fighter] feat, if I recall correctly. That's a really cheesy thing to do as well... not that it's any worse than my DB Teleportron build. :smalltongue:

SiuiS
2014-02-07, 08:29 PM

Oriental adventures and complete something or other.

Dhastana are basically manacres. They're a +1 to existing armor that can only g over leathers and chain shirts (possibly also chain mail, unsure).

Chahar-aina are "four mirrors" plates seen on Turkish soldiers, and are two side plates, a front plate and back plate. They go over the same armors and increase your defense score of the base armor as well.

There's a third that I don't remember. Something similar to gnome twist cloth?

So you've got chain shirt, armor boosters. You get that padding that reduces spell fail chance on armor, and some mithril. You have minimum ranks in craft. You say "in my back story I down all my starting gold on mithril ore and made my own equipment". You've then got really light, really cheap, really solid armor with almost no real cost except describing it well enough to get the DM okay.

And while most DMs won't okay "I want to be a wizard with +7 armor and no penalty", most DMs will be okay with you being a mystical silver-armored samurai wizard.

There are also piecemeal armor rules in sword and fist, I think? I don't like those though.

HaikenEdge
2014-02-07, 08:41 PM
It's a not a [Fighter] feat, if I recall correctly. That's a really cheesy thing to do as well... not that it's any worse than my DB Teleportron build. :smalltongue:

Epic Fighter

*snip*

Epic Fighter Bonus Feat List
Armor Skin, Combat Archery, Damage Reduction, Devastating Critical, Dire Charge, Distant Shot, Epic Endurance, Epic Leadership, Epic Prowess, Energy Resistance, Epic Toughness, Epic Weapon Focus, Epic Weapon Specialization, Exceptional Deflection, Improved Combat Reflexes, Improved Manyshot, Improved Stunning Fist, Improved Whirlwind Attack, Infinite Deflection, Instant Reload, Legendary Commander, Legendary Rider, Legendary Wrestler, Overwhelming Critical, Penetrate Damage Reduction, Perfect Two-Weapon Fighting, Reflect Arrows, Spellcasting Harrier, Storm of Throws, Superior Initiative, Swarm of Arrows, Two-Weapon Rend, Uncanny Accuracy. In addition to the feats on this list, the fighter may treat any feat designated as a fighter bonus feat, but not listed here, as being on his or her bonus feat list.

It's a feat an epic fighter can take as a bonus feat, as per the above quote from the SRD; that, almost definitionally, makes it fighter bonus feat, unless you want to argue that an epic fighter isn't a fighter.

HaikenEdge
2014-02-07, 08:49 PM
Oriental adventures and complete something or other.

You'll have to do better than that; I mean that not in an accusatory manner, but because I couldn't find those rules in OA or any of the Completes.

Snowbluff
2014-02-07, 08:52 PM
It's a feat an epic fighter can take as a bonus feat, as per the above quote from the SRD; that, almost definitionally, makes it fighter bonus feat, unless you want to argue that an epic fighter isn't a fighter.

Excuse me, but Fighter Bonus Feats are feats with the [Fighter] descriptor. PTWF does not have the descriptor, and therefore isn't an option for the martial monk. The epic list is a list of feats an epic fighter may take. I'll dig up the martial monk, but it's probably not kosher.

HaikenEdge
2014-02-07, 08:56 PM
Excuse me, but Fighter Bonus Feats are feats with the [Fighter] descriptor. PTWF does not have the descriptor, and therefore isn't an option for the martial monk. The epic list is a list of feats an epic fighter may take. I'll dig up the martial monk, but it's probably not kosher.

In which case, Combat Expertise, Power Attack and Weapon Focus all wouldn't be fighter bonus feats, since, according to the SRD, none of them have the [Fighter] tag.

Snowbluff
2014-02-07, 09:02 PM
In which case, Combat Expertise, Power Attack and Weapon Focus all wouldn't be fighter bonus feats, since, according to the SRD, none of them have the [Fighter] tag.

Probably. I'm probably mixing it up.

I looked at the Martial Monk, and it specifies the "Fighter Bonus Feat list," which is the list in the SRD, instead of "Feats a fighter may take as bonus feats." Since the "Fighter Bonus Feat list" is not the "Epic Fighter Bonus Feat list," you can not take PTWF with Martial Monk. You can't take other feats that note a fighter can take them as bonus feats if they are not on the list, either. So the ruling doesn't stand up against pedantry, and so I have to find it unacceptable.

HaikenEdge
2014-02-07, 09:06 PM
Probably. I'm probably mixing it up.

I looked at the Martial Monk, and it specifies the "Fighter Bonus Feat list," which is the list in the SRD, instead of "Feats a fighter may take as bonus feats." Since the "Fighter Bonus Feat list" is not the "Epic Fighter Bonus Feat list," you can not take PTWF with Martial Monk. You can't take other feats that note a fighter can take them as bonus feats if they are not on the list, either. So the ruling doesn't stand up against pedantry, and so I have to find it unacceptable.

If you want to get really pedantic, it's still a feat on the fighter bonus feat list, unless you want to start arguing an epic fighter isn't a fighter; the requirement to be an epic character in order to qualify for an epic feat is still a prerequisite, which a martial monk can waive.

Snowbluff
2014-02-07, 09:15 PM
If you want to get really pedantic, it's still a feat on the fighter bonus feat list, unless you want to start arguing an epic fighter isn't a fighter; the requirement to be an epic character in order to qualify for an epic feat is still a prerequisite, which a martial monk can waive. It's on A bonus feat list, just not the one specified. The epic list isn't a "The List of Fighter Bonus feats he gets at epic levels," it's "a list of feats he can choose because he's epic."

BowStreetRunner
2014-02-07, 09:34 PM
My current TWF build is a warblade/bloodclaw master who uses Two-Weapon Fighting and Improved TWF (but not Greater). I have an 18 Strength, +2 magic weapons, Weapon Specialization, Melee Weapon Mastery, and Knowledge Devotion - which usually adds up to at least +12 damage per hit (full STR bonus to both thanks to Claws of the Beast). A pair of keen kukri work wonders for Tiger claw maneuvers, and Superior TWF eliminates the -2 attack penalty.

Add to this the fact that our party Bard usually manages to amp up my attack & damage by +9/+9 and that I have Blood in the Water going, my crits come fast and often and tend to force a lot of Massive Damage saves.

A straight fighter could pull off something similar with TWF/ITWF/GTWF + WeaponSpec, Greater WeaponSpec, Weapon Mastery, Knowledge Devotion, but would have lower off-hand damage, -2 attack penalty, no blood in the water and no maneuvers.

Urpriest
2014-02-07, 10:38 PM
You'll have to do better than that; I mean that not in an accusatory manner, but because I couldn't find those rules in OA or any of the Completes.

It's dastanas and char-ainas. Right there in the armor section of OA.

Petrocorus
2014-02-08, 10:42 AM
Ranger can also get the Arcane Hunter ACF from CM, which is a real improvement of Favoured Enemy.

A dip in fighter can gives feats, but can also gives Sneak Attack (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#fighter) without costing BAB.

A dip into Lion Spirit Totem Babarian is obviously useful too.

There is also the already mentioned Swift Hunter builds.

You can also look for Iaijutsu Focus (http://dndtools.eu/skills/iaijutsu-focus/) from OA which can gives bonus damage.

If ToB is ok, Warblade is probably the best, Sapphire Nightmare Blade from Diamond Mind make your opponent flat-footed for your attack and so combine with IF and Sneak Attack. But Shadow Hand Maneuvers and Stances can also be pretty useful. So Swordsage and Ruby Knight Vindicator are worth a look.
You may also want Martial Study or RKV to get Shadow jaunt as a Warblade Maneuver.

Khatoblepas
2014-02-08, 11:13 AM
If you want to get really pedantic, it's still a feat on the fighter bonus feat list, unless you want to start arguing an epic fighter isn't a fighter; the requirement to be an epic character in order to qualify for an epic feat is still a prerequisite, which a martial monk can waive.

A "Fighter Bonus Feat" is a feat tagged so in the feat description:

Two-Weapon Fighting [General]

You can fight with a weapon in each hand. You can make one extra attack each round with the second weapon.

A fighter may select Two-Weapon Fighting as one of his fighter bonus feats.

Perfect Two Weapon fighting, and all other epic feats, lack this designation. They are not denoted as being fighter bonus feats. If all the epic fighter bonus feats were still part of the fighter bonus feat list, then the entry for Epic Fighter wouldn't have this language:

In addition to the feats on this list, the fighter may treat any feat designated as a fighter bonus feat, but not listed here, as being on his or her bonus feat list.

Bonus Feats

The epic fighter gains a bonus feat (selected from the list of epic fighter bonus feats) every two levels after 20th.

The list you are thinking about is the Epic Fighter Bonus Feat List, not the Fighter Bonus Feat List. The Fighter bonus feat list is a list of feats a regular fighter can take - the Epic list is something completely different.

Martial Monk is excessively badly written, but it isn't THAT badly written. I just wish people would stop bringing up something that doesn't work.

As for TWF itself, I'm pretty sure there's something that can be done with Warblade and Stormguard Warrior, to gain a massive amount of attacks and then get excessive amounts of bonus damage to your next set of attacks. By turning a round of attacks (and AoOs) into touch attacks, you can gain bonus damage next turn.

Snowbluff
2014-02-08, 11:33 AM
Martial Monk is excessively badly written, but it isn't THAT badly written. I just wish people would stop bringing up something that doesn't work.
Exactly. It's Master of Many Forms syndrome. I'm much more inclined to use it in a situation where it's not being used to the fullest extent.

As for TWF itself, I'm pretty sure there's something that can be done with Warblade and Stormguard Warrior, to gain a massive amount of attacks and then get excessive amounts of bonus damage to your next set of attacks. By turning a round of attacks (and AoOs) into touch attacks, you can gain bonus damage next turn.
I forgot to mention this under my warblade build. It doesn't fit with how feat hungry that one is, though. Still, I heavily recommend it. :smallbiggrin:

animewatcha
2014-02-08, 06:56 PM
Please leave the martial monk - Perfect TWF for another thread please. It's been argued to death over years for both sides. All else fails, ask your DM. The DM may sympathize with you if you don't build too much on the 'main hand attacks' portion of Perfect TWF. ( I am of the camp of epic fighter feats are a yay ).

If dragon magazine is allowed and you can worship 'the moon' ( intent was for the linalya or whomever in the greyhawk setting, but just pick a 'moon' deity ), and an 11th ranger ( mystic ranger getting this later ) can give up GTWF for a form of mind-blank. That is you are immune to harmful mind-affecting spells and abilities.

SiuiS
2014-02-08, 07:12 PM

Oriental adventures, page 76,table 5-9: New Armor has both articles mentioned as the first two entries under "shields and other additions". You'll note the triangle, saying this item is not commonly found in rokugan.

The reason they aren't ound ikn rokugan is because they look like this

http://akaalarms.com/site/wp-content/uploads/dastana-10.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f8/Antique_char-aina_or_char-aina,_chainmail_with_mirror_plates.jpg

I've never found much data on the dastana, but it looks pretty much identical to the bazuband, which was commonly worn with the chahar-aina (I believe ur-priest is right and the extra HA is a typo) on Turkish or Ottoman soldiers, as so.

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111117035205/assassinscreed/images/e/e7/Byzantine_Soldier_Concept_Image.JPG

Not in 3.0 where the book being cited was printed.

Psyren
2014-02-08, 10:53 PM

They do however have text like this:

"Special
A fighter may select XYZ as one of his fighter bonus feats."

Which PTWF lacks.

(And while I understand what you're getting at with the Martial Monk thing, be advised that is firmly in the realm of TO and won't fly at many if not most actual tables.)

Chahar-aina are "four mirrors" plates seen on Turkish soldiers, and are two side plates, a front plate and back plate. They go over the same armors and increase your defense score of the base armor as well.

@OP: If you need OGL stats for this, it's the same as "Four Mirror Armor" (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/armor/four-mirror-armor) in PF.