PDA

View Full Version : Souledge ACTIVATE (IC)

incandescent
2014-02-07, 04:56 PM
Today's the day to see if you've made the cut. You've managed to navigate the labyrinthine shanty town and return to the Satellite Office of Interior Affairs where you initially filled out your application for a work visa. The building's mortar and steel make it easy to tell apart from the other homes and shops built from scrap. At the entrance, you see applicants of all stripes being turned away (mostly skinless and thri kreen) by two skinless guards with only a select few allowed into the courtyard beyond, which are mostly obscured by the throng.

post character descriptions and actions here. Anything that falls outside that goes in OOC. Game on

Macros
2014-02-07, 05:38 PM
Even among such a disparate crowd, the presence of a short elven kid with white hair was quite noticable. Especially since his expression was akin to that of a cat who just fell into a pool of milk, and who wasn't quite sure if he should swim to get to safety or take the occasion to lap while he could.

Suzaku had never seen so many people in one place. The monastery had less than forty monks at most, and since then, he only ever entered small settlements. But this town was huge! And dirty, he couldn't help to notice. A part of him was quite excited at the novelty, but right now, he was mostly nervous. Not only was he not used to such huge crowds, but the fact that most of them were skinless did not help. At all. One could have think that travelling with one for weeks would have helped, but while Suzaku was now used to the brash swordman who took him under his wing, he still felt an instinctive sense of dread in the presence of skinless. The way they wore some makeshift skin that often didn't even match, it was just wrong! And now he was surrounded by them.

Instinctively, he moved closer to the towering figure next to him, tugging at his sleeve for reassurance.

"Taro-Nii-san, are you sure we should be here?"

avr
2014-02-07, 06:33 PM
The young Okassan moves easily through the crowds, with his size and outward confidence making a path. Overhearing the elf's words he pauses and laughs "Everyone should be here, at least once! This is the greatest city in the world!"

With a better look at the elf's face he exclaims "Suzaku, is that you? We met at that dojo when Mother was trying to find someone to pound some sense into my head. As you can see, no one succeeded!"

Macros
2014-02-07, 06:59 PM
Suzaku's head turned sharply at the new voice.

"Rho... Rhogar?"

He remembered the Okassan well, as well as their sessions at the dojo, a fresh breathe of excitement in an otherwise monotonous life. He had been a bit nervous at first, until he realized those sharp teeth were not meant to eat him. Probably.

"Wow, it's been so long! You..."

The young elf suddenly frowned, as if struck by a sudden realization.

"Hey, no fair! How come you get to be so big, now?!"

Sometimes, he couldn't help but think that being an elf sucked. Big time. Despite this, having another familiar face around here definitely lifted his spirits. He then turned to his companion. Introductions were in order, after all.

"Anyway, this is Taro, he helped me a while back. Taro, this is Rhogar. We trained together for a bit."

GranAures
2014-02-07, 08:29 PM
"Hmm, sorry," Kentaro grunts distractedly before turning around. He had been scanning the crowds for Keb, but the likelyhood of someone the worse groups of the area had gotten a hold of being in the vicinity of the Satellite Office was slim.

The Skinless man's irritation at the situation was clear on his face despite not only the tattered and grotesque appearance of it but also the lack of eyebrows. Even among the other Skinless, his peeling and blackening skin stood out among the odd assortment of bonded skins that was normal for his race. His apparel probably looked a fair bit more worn than the others waiting, his pack already fairly threadbare and the ends of the legs of his pants and hem of his shirt starting to fray.

"Yo," he greets the Okassan rather informally, offering out his left hand with a small smile, "Kentaro Ayasawa, Taro to most, Ayasawa if you're feeling formal. Rhogar, huh," hand being shaken or not Taro takes a moment to look the Okassan over, seemingly gauging the other man's use in a fight, before shrugging, "not that anyone needing sense pounded into them can be all bad."

His introduction done, Taro looks down at Suzaku, ruffling the Elven boys hair with his nearest hand.

"Yeah, sorry to drag you along selfishly,"Taro sighs, getting agitated again at the situation, "if it wasn't for old friends I wouldn't have wanted to come back either."

Rokku
2014-02-07, 09:43 PM
As old friends meet new friends, a voice of clear piercing anger cuts through the din.

"Get back here, you handsy bastard!"

A terrified grimlock shoves his way through the crowd, with source of the angry voice in hot pursuit.

Literally hot. As the shapely young elf with hair like fire and garments of green leaves tries to catch her groper, she appears to be starting to be starting to smolder. Luckily for the grimlock, he vanishes into the crowd, leaving her to fume near our heroes.

"I swear to Sehanine," shouts Sara - and is that smoke trailing out of her mouth? - "If one more person tries to grab my ass, I'm going to start reducing everything around me to charcoal!"

Dr.Gunsforhands
2014-02-08, 12:54 AM
A blonde, bespectacled woman in a thick off-white armor jacket runs back to unite with the elf. Though not much of her grafted flesh shows, it's still pretty clear that the taller and heavier of the two ladies is one of the skinless, which would explain her difficulty keeping up.

"Well, don't do that," Iota says to regarding her traveling companion's commentary. "Though, that is the third one today, so I couldn't blame you. I wouldn't have thought a line for work visas would attract so many perverts."

It was supposed to be a pretty simple trip; they were both going to metropolis from South Glen, and agreed to make the trip together because walking for a whole week alone sucks. Of course, given their clashing personalities, it's a pretty close call as to whether this made it any better.

Iota hears a name that just barely registers as one she's heard before, and catches sight of an order-colored lizard man bearing a striking resemblance to...

"...Rhogar? Excuse me, are you Rhogar Cityborn, by any chance? Rhogar Quartzscale's son?"

The Okassan has absolutely no reason to recognize this woman, but she does identify his dad's name correctly.

Rokku
2014-02-08, 01:52 AM
"It's the dress," grumbled Sara, tugging at the hem to try and cover more of her backside, "I'll never know why Mother Nature decided it had to be so bloody short."

Sara glanced at the strange group Iota approaches.

"Friends of yours, Io?"

Dr.Gunsforhands
2014-02-08, 03:08 AM
"Sort of. I met his father, a long time ago. He dedicated his life to fighting warforged monsters, and shared his techniques with me. I owe a lot to him."

incandescent
2014-02-08, 03:15 AM
You find yourselves being funneled through the crowd of applicants faster than expected as they turn away more and more candidates. You can see now the skinless guards are nearly identical, covered in bits of rubble and re-bar. They look more like golems that sprang from the wall than people. Any of you who've been in skinless cities before might that these are 'sentinels', skinless who've bound themselves to a place, usually take a role in protecting that place, and don the very materials of their home as their skin. Once you're within about twenty five feet of them, you start to feel the impact of their souls. It's a peculiar sensation, being washed in the indistinct energies of another being's soul. You've all heard the stories and may have even seen first hand an individual with a layered spirit, but only Rhogar and Kentaro can readily identify their edges due to their extensive magical knowledge.

(training in Arcana)

Both guards appear to have five total soul shells* surrounding them. The leftmost feels cold yet whimsical, like a temperate beach at dusk where the first torch has been lit to keep the bugs away (an aqua edge). The one on the right stirs any vulnerable doubts within you, as if everything you couldn't stand about yourself was suddenly cast on a mirror before you (a light edge). You don't know what to make of the sensations they emanate.

*soul shell = level

The two guards seem to recognize Rhogar and let him pass into the courtyard with a somewhat polite nod, though the Okassan doesn't think he's met them personally before. Metropolis is less a city and more an urban nation after all. But, Taro and Suzaku are stopped momentarily as the guards soul energies fluctuate around them. The one on the right scoffs distastefully at Kentaro and produces a list while the left looks down at Suzaku and asks in a fatherly manner."Hey little one, are you sure you're supposed to be here?" He sounds like he's in his early twenties. The one on the right doesn't even have to flip through the packet, apparently your names are near the front. "Well, well... Apparently they'll let anyone join the Dregs." He rudely waves the pair inside.

The ladies fare a bit better. They feel an erratic energy swirl about them as they walk between the guards, concentrated on the left side of the door. The left guard laughs nervously and catches himself staring at Sara, then goes uncomfortably rigid as he collects himself and stares straight ahead. The right guard seems more focused on his actual task, but still makes eye contact with Iota as she passes. The concrete on his face shifts organically as his eyes squint, like he sees something he can't quite explain. He consults his list and whispers to himself, hmm... Light edge? But, whatever concerns him doesn't warrant holding up the line apparently, so they're waved through.

On the other side of the gate, there's only a small group of other applicants. Three thri kreen have claimed the middle of the court yard. One looks normal (as far as the moth people go) with large wings, short mandible structures, and long, spindly limbs on a thin, aerodynamic body. But, the other two have an extra set of arms instead of wings, their mandibles are more menacing, and frames stockier. They all share the same vibrant purple and yellow color scheme. Iota and Sara know a bit more about the thri kreen people due to their knowledge of the natural world.

(training in nature)
You both can tell the winged center figure is a female and the two followers are male. The structures and more humanoid shape of her body suggest she is a diplomatic form while her attendants are the rarely seen combat forms. Combat forms are almost never seen outside of the kreen canyon due to their role as hive defenders. If they're here, this diplomat form must be someone important. All of the kreen you saw getting turned away from the gate before were the exploratory forager forms, which make up the second largest fraction of the population after skinless in the bridge slums.

The only other two in the area so far are a black skinned Okassan with his back to you off in the corner (one of maybe three you've seen this week, Rhogar excluded) and an aloof looking skinless staring into the sky while leaning against the wall. Her skin doesn't really have an overall theme, but some of the junk sticking off of her is interesting, like she rolled around in an antiques store. Two more sentinels are standing near the door leading to the interior of the SOIA.

avr
2014-02-08, 06:34 AM
Rhogar answers Iota "I scarcely knew my father, Quartzscale. He was very brave, I am told" - this with a twist of the mouth - "but that could not keep him alive when the worst happened. At least he lives on in memory."

"Enough of that! Look at these people we will have on our side. I have talked to a few of the moth people but never for long. Another Okassan, I should find out which clan will record his deeds. And that Skinless. I have never seen such a strange skin, have you?" He heads over to the aloof woman "Ho! Are you here to join these Dregs with us also?"

I rolled History in the dice rolling thread to see if the junk on her skin meant anything to me. Rhogar's luck is holding so far, I maxed out & rolled a total of 30. His Diplomacy is +7 but I haven't rolled that yet.

Macros
2014-02-08, 06:50 AM
Suzaku tried not to show his confusion when the guard asked him almost exactly the same question he asked Taro earlier. So he wasn't sure either? But how did him being little had anything to do with that? Plus, he had to help Taro looking for his friend, so that was the end of that.

And I'm not little. It's the others who are too big.

He focused on the other people in the room. The thri-kreen, in his opinion, were awesome, and it took him all his concentration not to openly gawk at them. But he often wondered what it would be like to have two more arms. He was always fascinated by the okassan, whose scales seemed to always be different. He guessed it was a bit like an hair color. And the skinless woman... well, he tried not to look at her too much. It was better this way.

Then, there was the other people, who claimed to know Rhogar, even if he didn't know them. He would have liked to talk to the elven girl, which would be practically the first time he did so with another elf near his age ; she seemed a bit angry right now, though, perhaps he should wait a bit. The other one was... strange. She looked like a bit like an elf too, but there was something... wrong with that. And a metal eye? How could you have an eye of metal? Even if he had to admit it was a bit cool.

Right now, though, he felt it was better to stick to the people he knew. Since Rhogar was adressing the skinless woman, he moved closer to Taro instead, before whispering.

"Sooo... are we waiting for someone? Is it going to be long?"

His initial nervousness was mostly gone now, replaced by an irresistible need to do something. Hopefully that wouldn't put him in too much trouble.

incandescent
2014-02-08, 03:05 PM
"Ho! Are you here to join these Dregs with us also?"

She draws her attention from the sky and you 'feel' her smile at you. This must be because her mouth and nose are wholly obscured by a short ceramic plate that looks like a beak. She reaches to her left shoulder and turns a doorknob, causing a small jewelry box on her hip to open. She takes out two pieces of what appear to be some kind of dried fruit and extends one to you. "I aim to, yes." Her voice is soft, quiet.

Each object she carries seems to be from a different time and place. But, you find two things of note while scanning her body. On one side of her rib cage, there's a flat chunk of old stone inscribed with the runes of a dead language. You would guess from an old temple of The Forgotten, a race that vanished thousands of years ago leaving ghostly ruins strewn across the center of the north continent. The other is a small, bright red jewel on her neck that looks well cut. The high quality suggests that it's of Grimloki make.

side note: you don't sense the presence of her spirit like you did witht he guards. Either she has a very low spiritual presence or is concealing it. Normally you can at least feel something within five feet of someone.

(reserved for interactions while the candidates arrive, just make not in your post)

Everyone simply has to suffer with their anxiety or anticipation for the next half hour while the remaining ten candidates get sifted through the gate. The final roster includes:

- a surprising five more thri kreen.
two combat forms and three forager forms
- two skinless (a grim looking woman covered in animal bones and an equally disturbing man covered head to toe in plastic googley eyes)
- one grimlock (a well dressed gentleman. A short, stocky bodybuilder type in a suit)

With everyone present and accounted for, the gate closes and the door to the SOIA opens. A small, thin skinless woman steps out, followed by a male elf wearing glasses. Each of her calculated steps clinks against the ground due to the steel and copper wires wrapped around her feet and all the way up her body. TV and radio antennas are woven into the coils of her skin, protruding like insect hairs or feelers. Her dizzying soul presence can be felt from forty feet away like static on the edge of your hearing.

Her soul is lightning that brings darkness, pulling the very sky to her whim and bringing black strikes of pain across her eight soul shells. (Storm edge)

After everyone adjusts to her presence she launches into a speech. She appears somewhat disconcerting as her jaw moves beneath the wire mummification. There's no opening for her mouth.

"Your records and applications have convinced the many governments of Metropolis to grant you access to a work visa. This places you in a group of bottom tier salvagers known as the Dregs. Time will show you to either be productive workers in this great hierarchy or prove you incompetent."
She pauses for a second as her scanning eyes pass over Kentaro, but she continues without any mistakes.
"I am Mokaina Veratroz, field operations manager. This- (she gestures to the elf behind her) -is our book keeper, Berran Yasinth. He will be responsible for giving you low priority salvaging jobs until you get my attention, at which point you'll be brought under my full jurisdiction. You have seven days to bring sustenance or provide service to the nation-city of Metropolis, else you forfeit your work visa and we give it to someone who can. I will remain here if any of you have questions and Berran will take his station inside for those of you ready to accept assignments.

Berran bows sheepishly and walks back into the office and Mokaina takes a position next to the guards by the door.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2014-02-08, 04:40 PM
Iota looks at the guard going over her papers, expecting him to ask a question, but thankfully it seems he was just absentmindedly talking to himself. Her papers contain an accurate account her background and references. Perhaps that detail seemed inconsistent with all of the dark stuff surrounding it.

Iota doesn't feel that way, though.

"I have never seen such a strange skin, have you?"

"Ummm..."

*Yoink!*

...well, that worked out. Iota isn't especially interested in bothering everyone else who is trying to go about their business, even though many of them just seem to be standing around. The one Kreen must be an actual literal diplomat, rather than one of the would-be salvagers, though it could be wrong to stereotype that group based on their subraces. Her gaze does linger on the Okassan Rhogar pointed out, as he is apparently staring at a wall for some reason. Otherwise, she patiently waits in line, passively observing her surroundings... barring any further Sara-related hijinks.

Finally, the Field Ops person arrives. This whole way of organizing things feels like a contradiction. But, the ruins are notoriously dangerous, and if any soul shards are left behind... yes, Iota must do this. It's part of her mission.

She proceeds inside to see how the, "assignments," are doled out. She can't imagine that the assignments are on an individual basis, so maybe she can get herself and Sara in on one with a low pervert count...

GranAures
2014-02-08, 05:08 PM
"They'll probably do a small intro ceremony when they get us all in one place, officials like to talk after all" Taro grumbles irritably, taking a seat against the wall near the passage in. "I'm going to chill here and see what we have to work with, and I don't want to deal with strangers right now, but I'll keep an eye out if you want to mingle."

Knowing his wearing patience would cause him to likely pick a fight, Taro just simply waits for whatever introduction there might be, taking mental note of any impressive auras passing through the doorway while keeping an eye on Suzaku if the elven boy wanted to find someone to talk to.

With the introductions from Mokaina starting Kentaro finds himself growing more annoyed. All this official stuff was giving him a headache and the woman's static, more than enough to remind him of his time with Iwata, wasn't helping. Somehow he manages to not scoff when Mokaina mentions their "great hierarchy" but still silently hopes that he can be done with his concerns and be gone again before drawing her attention.

"Well, let' see what we can find," Taro says to Suzaku after the ceremony breaks, pulling himself from against the wall and heading his way inside the SOIA building.

Rokku
2014-02-09, 12:06 AM
"Finally, I've been waiting forever," groans Sara. She stalks into the office, and strides with purpose up to Berran's desk.

"So mister bookkeeper, what have you got for me?"

avr
2014-02-09, 06:21 AM
Rhogar accepts the fruit and smiles back "I am Rhogar Cityborn, at your service. To judge by your skin I should have thought you experienced at searching ruins, what brings you to be starting in the Dregs like us?"

---------

Rhogar follows Iota in "I must apologise for my shortness earlier. My father is a sore point you see. Maybe though we could get an assignment together and you could tell me more?"

Macros
2014-02-09, 12:05 PM
Suzaku was beginning to think this place wasn't so great after all. Seeing an old friend had been nice, but now everyone seemed tense, he could feel Taro's nervousness, even if he was not quite sure of the reasons, there was a lot of scary skinless around, and he constantly felt powerful auras, which was beginning to give him an headache. Plus, now he was bored.

Well, to hell with that. The elven girl in green might seem a bit moody, but it was something new. Right now, she was talking to the elf with glasses - Berran, was it? - who was apparently explaining something about team assignments.

"Oooh, how many persons are in a team? Can we choose with who we are? Because I'd like to stay with Taro-Nii-San, if that's possible. And what do we do? Is it dangerous? Is..."

The elven youth suddenly became quiet as he realized he was beginning to ramble. Worse, he interrupted. The monks hated when he did that. Not sure how those guys felt about it though.

"Eeeer, sorry. I didn't want to interrupt." He turned toward the elf girl, offering her an embarassed smile. "Um... hi? I'm Suzaku. I saw your friend talk to my friend. Oh, is it your friend? It seemed that way, but I'm never sure. Is it your first time in town? It is for me, it's so big! A bit scary though, and... and I'm rambling again. ... Sorry."

incandescent
2014-02-09, 05:58 PM
Rhogar accepts the fruit and smiles back "I am Rhogar Cityborn, at your service. To judge by your skin I should have thought you experienced at searching ruins, what brings you to be starting in the Dregs like us?"

(assuming this happened before the field operator's appearance)

She looks back up to the sky for a moment. "Interesting things come from ruins, yes. This is why I seek to join. I find these baubles and trinkets by chance or through trade, you see. If I were able to come and go as I please, I could find many more things."

"So mister bookkeeper, what have you got for me?"

"Oooh, how many persons are in a team? Can we choose with who we are? Because I'd like to stay with Taro-Nii-San, if that's possible. And what do we do? Is it dangerous? Is..."

"I must apologise for my shortness earlier. My father is a sore point you see. Maybe though we could get an assignment together and you could tell me more?"

Berran is a bit overwhelmed as the tide of Dregs piles into his office. The thri kreen compete with the black and white Okassan* (and anyone else) for space near the front while the skinless covered in plastic eyes stands in the doorway, giving attention to both everyone inside and his bone covered friend talking to Mokaina outside with the eclectic skinless. Sara is one of the first to speak and Berran tries to respond before Suzaku fires off a series of questions, prompting the big Okassan to shout "Let's GO!" to rush Berran along.

He wears a tribal loin guard and is his body is studded with polished black jewelry, identifying him as an elemental worshiper of the dark edge.
The coloring of his skin suggests he is from one of the tribes that lives near the top of the great vines, leaping from the spires jutting into the sky onto prey in the canopy below or climbing from the stark shadows cast by the sun onto prey above. They look strange when sen on ground level, but in the sky their counter shade makes for excellent camouflage. Things viewing them from above see their black tops while they're in the shadows and their white bellies against the sun while they're leaping down.

The Elf sighs and sits down behind his desk, "If you'll turn your attention to this side of the room-" he points to an adjacent wall with a large, blank screen embedded into it "-and quiet down, we'll be able to get down to business. Don't be alarmed, but I must activate my edge to interact with the system."

He pushes up his glasses with one hand and holds out his other to the side. Hear the digital song of the data stream. One-one-Zero-ONE! ALGORITHMIC EDGE! An orb of shimmering water appears in the palm of Berran's hand, then spreads onto his wrist and circles around it before solidifying into a purple bracer that hovers around his forearm. Suddenly, only for a moment, everyone in the room feels as if they're lost in a sea of roiling variables and crashing waves of information in the presence of Berran's aqua edge.

Berran lays his hand flat against a silvery square on his desk. The number '13' burns brightly on his soul edge and the wall screen lights up. The Elf smiles like he's in the middle of some sort of battle lust, as if he's just one being about to take on an army. The images and data on screen fly by too fast to see until everything is already settled in place. Digital images of all the Dreg's faces appear next to a short description of them and their edge type.

Berran's voice changes, the scrawny elf suddenly filled with a warrior's arrogance, "Heh heh. Using my superior computational abilities, I've been able to assign you to teams that best compliment your combined strengths and mitigate your individual weaknesses. You are now as efficient as you can be...

Team Alpha: Rank 1
Kadalka, Hive Iket -- Storm Edge (thri kreen)
Quoril, Hive Gyth -- Earth Edge (thri kreen)
Darik, Hive Gyth -- Fire Edge (thri kreen)
Gitek, Hive Gyth -- Storm Edge (thri kreen)
Iltid, Hive Gyth -- Aqua Edge (thri kreen)
Kalak, Hive Gyth -- Earth Edge (thri kreen)

Team Beta: Rank 1
Iota Ferguson -- Light Edge (skinless)
Sara Nukumi -- Fire Edge (elf)
Rhogar Cityborn -- Order Edge (okassan)
Kentaro Ayasawa -- Earth Edge (skinless)
Suzaku -- Storm Edge (elf)
Xandi, Hive Gyth -- Aqua Edge (thri kreen)

Team Gamma: Rank 1
Ysanc -- Dark Edge (okassan)
Rakella -- Order Edge (skinless)
Drentio -- Light Edge (skinless)
Ju -- Earth Edge (Grimlock)
Matilda -- Chaos Edge (skinless)
Inkiss, Hive Gyth -- Storm Edge (thri kreen)

"And now... onto the available missions..." The team information window slides to one side and four assignments pop up. Several of the salvaging missions are already struck out and less straightforward missions are in their place.

Missing Elven Gourds
Sponsor: Elven Embassy
Potential Risk: Moderate
Payout: 2200 Metropolitan credits
A small time elven scientist working within metropolis has decided to expose himself to the authorities rather that losing years of research. She's trying to promote plant growth in the desolate Temple Lands in the center of the northern continent and has been procedurally breeding a hardier species of the elven mainstay crop using her botanical expertise in conjunction with skinless medical facilities. However, her last shipment of specimens never made back to the elven province. The secret nature of her work has caused a minor political scandal, leading to a relatively low reward. Those who select this assignment will be given access to the investigative materials on the land transport's last known whereabouts.

Fishing Vessel Thieves
Sponsor: Ahk (Grimloki Outreach Program)
Potential Risk: Low
Payout: 1300 Metropolitan credits
Grimlock fishing vessels that have agreed to work for the nation-city have had problems with some kind of water borne thieves. The losses have become significant despite crew efforts to prevent the theft and the captain of the small fleet has offered up a reward for anyone that can discover the culprits and put an end to it. Those who select this assignment will be required to spend a measure of time aboard ship.

Temple Land Criminals
Sponsor: NCDF (Nation City Defense Force)
Potential Risk: Very High
Payout: 7500 Metropolital credits
Somehow, a criminal element has managed to set up a base of operations deep in the temple lands with no apparent supply lines aside from seemingly nonrandom attacks. Their targets have included scientific vessels, the occasional food shipment from another team of Dregs, and even police forces that have been sent to root them out. The NCDF requests a highly skilled team to penetrate the compound and remove the criminal element or investigate the threat (for a partial reward based on information give) if unable to remove it. Those who select this assignment will be given access to records of encounters with the criminals and dossiers on suspects. In addition, a rapid extraction vehicle will be provided so the team can strike and leave quickly.

note: This assignment takes place in a different geographical area from the case provided by the elven embassy, so it is unlikely the two are related.

Escort delegation from the Flotilla
Sponsor: NCDF (Nation City Defense Force)
Potential Risk: Moderate
Payout: 3000 Metropolitan Credits
The Thri kreen population explosion in recent years has led to many refugees coming to Mulkay gate (the first tax gate to get onto the bridge) and building a veritable settlement on the other side. With so many clamoring to get in and living with such little resources, they're a volatile crowd. The NCDF fears that asking them to step aside and make way for a political delegation from the Floating City might cause a riot and asks that whoever selects this assignment either be proficient with crowd control or negotiations.

There's a moment's pause before the Dregs start putting their names forth on the different missions.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2014-02-09, 08:48 PM
"Hmm. I would seem so!" Iota says to Rhogar, observing the group listing. She clears her throat. "Team Beta! Over here!"

She discusses the options with the assembled group. "I have some experience with investigation, so I would prefer to be on one of the first three cases. Assuming nobody here is a sailor, we could also rule out the second one. That leaves the two Temple Lands cases."

She gestures at the High Risk investigation as though about to voice her own clear preference, but runs into a twinge of guilt. She looks down at the elven schoolboy and then up at the swordsman who is apparently his adopted big brother.

"...any preference?"

Rokku
2014-02-09, 11:26 PM
Sara looks at the little rambling elf boy. He might be cute, if he could ever stop talking.

"Io's... I guess we're friends? We kind of stumbled into each other and stuck together for the trip."

Sara nodded at her team assignment. Fortunate that she'd at briefly met most of the crew earlier.

"We take the third one, definitely," she says, "I'm supposed to be fighting great evil, and the others are slightly evil at best."

GranAures
2014-02-09, 11:50 PM
"Here's one," Kentaro speaks up, his hands stuffed into his poclets as he gazes about their little group, "how about we figure out what we can all do before we go deciding on what we should do?"

Following his own advice, Kentaro pauses for a moment to gather the words he's looking for.

"To start, I'm can extend out some of my aura to hinder and weaken attacks made against others as well as leave a portion in others to give them a few extra reasons to keep on me. Aside from that, Iwa-ji made me learn a bit of history and helped me sharpen my spiritual and empathic senses."

Taro looks over the listings a bit, skimming the details before continuing.

"Likewise, though, the first three seem fine enough, second might be more trouble than it's worth if we can't swim well and the third may well put us against others a bit better organized than we are," a flash of something like a crazed enjoyment of the chances lights in Taro's eyes for a moment, "The fourth doesn't want my form of crowd control control I'm sure."

Macros
2014-02-10, 01:18 AM
"Woah, amazing!"

To think Taro could do all of those cool stuff... Suddenly realizing his outburst had drawn attention to him, Suzaku scratched the back of his head, feeling a bit self-conscious.

"Well, I'm good at fighting and stuff... Oh, and running and jumping around, too!" An air-propelled elf kid had been a real nightmare to catch when he didn't want to, even for trained monks. "And I can use wind and lightning, they told me that was really hard to deal with in a fight. Never... did it for real, though. Not against people."

It'll be okay, don't worry.

The voice helped Suzaku feel a bit more secure. Perhaps he couldn't do as much as the others, who all seemed to have incredible talents, but he wouldn't be a dead weight! Plus, the girl said there was great evil to be fought. The young elf wasn't sure of what a great evil looked like, but he knew it needed to be kicked in the face. That's how they did it in books, anyway.

"Aaand... I don't really know for those missions, I'll let you decide on that."

Rokku
2014-02-10, 02:30 AM
"I'm a magical warrior of love and justice," Says Sara.

She pauses. Then she sighs.

"Or at least that's what Mother Nature told me. Anyway I'm in touch with Nature and my Edge slashes and burns at close and long range. And I'm alert. Very perceptive. Which means YES I CAN HEAR YOU TALKING ABOUT HOW SHORT MY SKIRT IS OVER THERE!""

It's not entirely clear who she's yelling at.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2014-02-10, 02:30 AM
"Fascinating."

Io's delivery makes her sound bored, but she has been staring at Kentaro and Suzaku attentively for his whole description of their powers. The one unblinking fake eye makes it a little uncomfortable, but bored she clearly isn't. Given Suzaku's shaky background, it may be better to go after the gourds first and see if they can come back for the one with the higher reward...

She's clearly just suffering through Sara's bit, though, and sighs at the end of it. "You know, if it makes you that self-conscious, you can always wear something under it..."

Iota waits for Rhogar or The Other Guy to speak, but apparently it's her turn now.

"Well, as I said, my experience lies mostly in tracking and combat. I can also set up a camp for ambush prevention... and I should probably mention my medical background..."

She sighs and starts counting on her fingers. "Disabling mechanical locks and traps, survival and navigation (although Sara is actually better from what I can tell), and identifying religious texts and relics.

"...but, I would hardly consider myself an expert at anything."

avr
2014-02-10, 03:22 AM
(before the field operator appears)

"Well, perhaps I will find something to trade to you some time. To whom would I be trading treasures?"

---------

(in the current conversation)

"I know many tales of my people and others, and I have a little sense of magic but it is my edge you want to hear about, eh? It is most helpful, protecting others or guiding their hands in a fight." Rhogar raises a fist "Alone, I am not so great a warrior, but with my friends by my side these criminals shall tremble!"

Suddenly self-conscious he shrugs "Gourds or crowds or criminals, I am sure we will do well. But the criminals are the only job that pays even if we do not entirely succeed."

Macros
2014-02-10, 12:28 PM
"You tell them, Rhogar!"

The young monk had still no idea what the deal with those missions was, but hearing the others speaking, he was beginning to feel pumped up. And they all seemed to have awesome tricks. Well, except...

"Wait, what about him?" Suzaku said, quite rudely pointing directly at the thri-kreen. "What about you? You didn't even tell us what you'd like to do."

In fact, he pretty much didn't tell them anything. Suzaku might be young, but he had spent enough time with tigh-lipped monks who used to sprout poetical nonsense when asked any sort of question more sophisticated than "where's the bathroom?" to recognize that kind of behavior on the spot.

Rokku
2014-02-10, 03:34 PM
"Ember Blossom burns up anything else I try to wear," grumbles Sara.

incandescent
2014-02-10, 06:09 PM
(before the field operator appears)

"Well, perhaps I will find something to trade to you some time. To whom would I be trading treasures?"

"Matilda. Matilda Vyrmseek." She extends a hand covered in everything from bug shells to bottle caps, ready to shake yours, "And you might be?"

--- --- ---

"Wait, what about him?" Suzaku said, quite rudely pointing directly at the thri-kreen. "What about you? You didn't even tell us what you'd like to do."

Xandi clicks his mandibles several times as if working up the courage to truly speak before bursting with rapid speech. "Your ou-ords are not easy to say for one hatched as nyselth... -as nee *sigh*... -as this one. I an not created to stheak other tongues though I ou-ill try. His lack of lips seems to impede the associated sounds. He tries to emulate them by pressing his raspy tongue against the roof of his mouth. "I use ou-ater like needles. This one's strikes are quickik and he nooves like ou-ater as he attacks. I ou-ould rather not choose the sane nission as tean Alpha, though I thollow the collectithe Beta ith they choose it." He rapidly clicks in frustration, fed up with his inability to speak properly.

Your group still hasn't reached a unanimous descision, though at least you aren't arguing about it like team Gamma. But, while you deliberate, the thri kreen dominated theme approaches Berran's desk. The winged Kadalka's voice is like a song "iI speak for the rest of Team Alphaa. wW choose the criminal lands assignmentt."

Berran looks to the rest of you, holding his hand threateningly above the silver square on his desk like he's about to behead an invisible victim, "Any challengers to this claim?

Team Beta is too busy arguing amongst itself to make a response.

Rokku
2014-02-10, 07:48 PM
Sara immediately swivels to Berran.

"Heck yes we challenge! Lets do this thing!"

avr
2014-02-10, 09:17 PM
(Finishing up the previous conversation so it doesn't drag on)

Rhogar grasps the offered hand, careful not to crush the bug shells. He also keeps an eye out for any flicker of her soul edge which might become visible as they touch. "Rhogar Cityborn, as I said. Next time we meet I will be sure to have some baubles or trinkets to show you. Until then" he backs off and salutes her.

---------

"Indeed yes Sara, let us show these people that we can stand up for ourselves. Let us challenge for the right to fight for Great Justice!"

Dr.Gunsforhands
2014-02-10, 10:47 PM
"Um. ...hm."

The course of this decision is pretty much set. There's no talking Sara out of it, Suzaku is likely to go along with Rhogar's motivational speech and Iota was leaning towards that one herself. Ken looks like he probably feels the same way.

GranAures
2014-02-10, 11:38 PM
"Fine make it three," Taro groans with a shrug, "but we don't force Xandi to fight."

The skinless man looks over at their kreen companion before turning to look at the others.

"He doesn't want to quarrel with Team Alpha so he shouldn't have to on account of us making an issue," Kentaro's voice comes out blunt and direct, the voice of someone who wasn't going to back down from his stand until mountains wore away from time, "hardly good behavior among teammates."

His stand on the work matter clear, Taro turns and offers his right hand to Xandi in a handshake.

"If you fight beside us it's because you want to, not because we dragged you in on some simple majority to fight a battle you didn't want," without turning again Kentaro's last few words a clearly directed at Berran, "that shouldn't be an issue should it?"

Dr.Gunsforhands
2014-02-11, 12:02 AM
"Agreed. It wouldn't be right to make you fight against your hivemates."

Macros
2014-02-11, 01:21 AM
"Wow. Is this how things work in a city?"

Suzaku was a bit baffled by how quickly the mood changed. Though the more he thought about it, the more it made sense... kinda. It certainly beat the whole "sit and think of your place in the universe" that seemed the favored way to fix.... well, anything, really, in his old monastery. At least this method was pretty straightforward.

"Oh well. Let's do this thing, then."

His grin suddenly fade when he turned toward Xandi and hesitated, Taro's words weighting heavily in his mind.

"Uuum... Sorry. They are your friends, right? I'm sure everyone will be alright, but..."

incandescent
2014-02-11, 08:17 PM
(Finishing up the previous conversation so it doesn't drag on)

Rhogar grasps the offered hand, careful not to crush the bug shells. He also keeps an eye out for any flicker of her soul edge which might become visible as they touch. "Rhogar Cityborn, as I said. Next time we meet I will be sure to have some baubles or trinkets to show you. Until then" he backs off and salutes her.

(and i was just thinking how hilarious it would be if this conversation continued all the way until the campaign ended)

The items attached to her are bonded to her, you couldn't break the bug shells unless you broke her hand in the process. You can feel the erratic flickers of a chaos edge at the end of your senses as your hands touch. She nods courteously and returns to her daydreaming.

--- --- ---

"If you fight beside us it's because you want to, not because we dragged you in on some simple majority to fight a battle you didn't want,"

"Agreed. It wouldn't be right to make you fight against your hivemates."

His stand on the work matter clear, Taro turns and offers his right hand to Xandi in a handshake.

Xandi looks Taro in the eyes, "I an... unable to exthress the sou-ell of conceths I an extheriencing..." as silenced as a mothman has ever been rendered. His fuzzy chitinous claw tentatively grabs the hand extended to him.

without turning again Kentaro's last few words a clearly directed at Berran, "that shouldn't be an issue should it?"

"Unconventional." The elf drops his hand to his side, "But I do not see a problem with that." Berran weaves through the crowd and the skinless in the doorway steps aside so he can exit. He exchanges a few words with Moikana who shouts, "Teams Alpha and Beta, please step outside!"

She waits until everyone files out before continuing, "I wasn't expecting a contest today or else I would have had the arena kit brought in. She looks at the SOIA guards and points at the main gate, "Sentinels Yolee and Tyrn, go fetch Zhen and Regis. We're going to set up a little elemental obstacle course..." She discusses with the sentinels for a few moments before ordering them around.

Mokaina: "Yolee, set up your cage in the center."
Yolee: "B-but I hate that one! The last time I did it, it was an accident!
Mokaina gives her a silent, stern glare and she eventually stomps off to the center of the courtyard.
Yolee: "Find the foundation within yourself... Transparent chains flicker from her body like an aura of dancing flames. Umm... Eternal prison? Her chains reach ten feet above her and hook like cobras ready to strike. She smiles like her attack is about to work, but looks up when the chains start to quiver. Oh, damn my Ancesto- The chains swoop down and smash into the ground at her feet, kicking up a cloud of dust and a terrible rumbling noise. After the cloud settles, Yolee dangles helplessly in the midst of a fifteen foot square cage of wrapping chains. They're no longer attached to her, appearing as a series of straight lines criss-crossing through the earth and disappearing in the air. The other three sentinels laugh but are cut off by the Operator.
Mokaina: Regis, you're next! Go to the far wall and offer your blinding.
Regis: Very well... There are no eyes that can contain my blinding FURY! I'll give them the Gift of Light!" Several shining red motes start to orbit around regis as he takes position.
Mokaina: Zhen. Set the swell.
Zhen: Yes, ma'am! Ocean's peace, find me. He takes a slow, calm breath, Tide of Battle!
Mokaina: Tyrn, go to wall opposite Zhen and counter with tremors.
Tyrn: It will be done. As the serpent coils through the earth, so does MY SOUL! Soil disruption.

The SOIA Courtyard (http://i.imgur.com/4aIkNNw.jpg)

-(Yolee) The central cage (entire 15x15 ftarea) is an order edge effect that grants cover and slows anyone who ends their turn within two squares of it until the end of their next turn. A creature adjacent to the cage can spend a minor action to enhance their next attack, immobilizing the next enemy if they hit. Order edges must spend two consecutive turns in the area to be slowed and are only slowed by the enhanced attack.
-(Regis) The yellow d4 to the right is a light edge effect that grants concealment to any adjacent creatures. An adjacent creature can spend a minor action to enhance their attack, blinding an enemy if they hit. Light edges ignore the concealment and only take a -2 penalty to attack rolls if targeted by the enhanced attack.
-(Zhen and Tyrn) The blue d8 in front of the main gate is a water edge effect. An adjacent creature can spend a minor action to slide a single creature in sight range two squares. Water edges are only slid one square. The green d4 on the opposing wall is the same effect, only an earth edge effect.

Mokaina then turns to the two competing teams, "All right. The battlefield is set and the rules are simple. Number one: No lethal blows. This is a healthy competition over a job, not a blood feud. Number two: No leaving the confines of the arena. Your movement techniques can take you as high as you can go, so long as you don't land outside the courtyard. Number three: The team with all members incapacitated first will be considered defeated. If there are no questions, please take your sides. The team with the fewest combatant decides which wall to which they'll start adjacent. She points with both hands at Zhen and Tyrn.

Macros
2014-02-12, 12:43 AM
"They are... quite dramatic, aren't they?"

The whole battlefield had been set up in a rather flashy fashion. Apparently, training matches were Serious Business around here.

Eh, this is fun.
Want me to take over?
It's only training! I can do this.
Have it your way, then.

The elf started to stretch while looking at the area. He didn't think they were much differences between the two sides, but...

"Hey, could we take Zhen's wall? There's more room to maneuver there, and it'll force them to group up in a narrower space on the other side."

Plus, that water edge thing was fun, and he wanted to take a closer look at the thing.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2014-02-12, 01:26 AM
"I don't have a problem with it."

As the groups are routed to their respective sides of the field, Iota watches the other team a little bit before bringing something up to Rhogar and Taro.

"I think the one with the wings has taken to directing them from the back... Kentaro, if I can charge past and go after her first, could you use your shields to help keep the rest off of me for a moment?"

GranAures
2014-02-12, 01:31 AM
"Maneuver room ain't a bad thing," Kentaro agrees with Suzaku's assessment of things, "we'll need anything we can get, especially given their spread."

Taking a look over at Team Alpha, the swordsman tries to gauge how each of them would fight while measuring their abilities.

"You and me need to make sure not to get outnumbered," his voice comes out grim this time, recalling the listings of the other team's edges as he places his hand on Suzaku's shoulder, "worst thing for us would be for them to focus the two storm edges on me and two earth on you with an extra man each. It'll make for short work if we go in to fast."

When Iota speaks up, he turns over to her before looking back to the field.

"I will manage," Taro's tone makes the phrase sound more like a declaration, "worst case scenario I will get you an easy in."

Rokku
2014-02-12, 01:56 AM
"If you need them moved out of the way, I've got a trick or two to help with that," says Sara. She's grinning from ear to ear. Clearly, she's been spoiling for a fight.

Macros
2014-02-12, 02:18 AM
"You and me need to make sure not to get outnumbered," his voice comes out grim this time, recalling the listings of the other team's edges as he places his hand on Suzaku's shoulder, "worst thing for us would be for them to focus the two storm edges on me and two earth on you with an extra man each. It'll make for short work if we go in to fast."

Suzaku let out a dramatic sigh.

"So, basically, "don't rush in alone"? You're no fun."

His frown didn't last long, however, replaced by a bright smile.

"Don't worry, I have your back, Taro-Nii-San!"

avr
2014-02-12, 04:03 AM
"I will be best on the front lines with you I think Iota. My soul edge lends itself best to aiding those close to me, I cannot well defend you from afar. And I will not be easily slowed by the chains of order that Yolee conjured."

incandescent
2014-02-12, 08:32 PM
After everyone is arrayed against the wall, Mokaina throws her hand up, "BEGIN!"

Initial positions (http://i.imgur.com/9K3ZhlE.jpg)

The first to act is Darik, who shouts in Thri kreen before desert sand whips up around him, floating him several inches off the ground in the vortex [Free action soul edge: plot activation]. He dedicates his entire turn to moving others, sliding Iltid to G-12, Gitek to F-12, and himself to H-11. [minor: slide 2, minor: slide 2, minor: slide 2].

Next, Kalak moves up to K-11 and cries out in his language as well, his high chirps grow baritone as a staff looking like a stalagmite forms in his hand. He taps it against the ground and points in the direction of Rhogar and Iota. They feel the gravity grow oppressive around them and they both take 5 earth damage and are slowed until the end of their next turn [Free action soul edge: plot activation. Gravity burst, area burst 1 on J-2]

Finally, Quoril summons his edge, stone plates all over his body. He rushes over to the opposite side of Regis, his plates almost warping the air as he takes on of the light orbs and absors the blinding enhancement. He them crouches down into a pent up stance, ready to strike anyone who would claim the Blinding for themselves [Free action soul edge: plot activation, move: 6 squares to L-7, Standard: Ready action]
*Quoril also has an aura 1 that makes it cost 1 additional square to enter a square adjacent to him. He also has cover against anyone on he other side of Regis.

Current Poisitions (http://i.imgur.com/n3NADWA.jpg)

Next up is suzaku, then iota.

Darik [fire edge] (red d8, H-11) 17
Quoril [earth edge] (green D20, K-7) 17
Kalak {2 soul charges} [earth edge] (green d8, J-12) 17
Suzaku [stormedge] (blue d20, E-1) 15
Iota [light edge] (yellow d20, K-1) 12
Kedalka [storm edge] (yellow d12, F-13) 12
Iltid [aqua edge] (blue d8, G-12) 12
Gitek [storm edge] (yellow d8, F-12) 12
Rhogar [order edge] (steel d10, I-1) 8
Sara [fire edge] (Darkred d8, H-1) 7
Taro [earth edge] (pink d12, D-1) 6

Sentinel effects
-(Yolee) The central cage (entire 15x15 ftarea) is an order edge effect that grants cover and slows anyone who ends their turn within two squares of it until the end of their next turn. A creature adjacent to the cage can spend a minor action to enhance their next attack, immobilizing the next enemy if they hit. Order edges must spend two consecutive turns in the area to be slowed and are only slowed by the enhanced attack.
-(Regis) The yellow d4 to the right is a light edge effect that grants concealment to any adjacent creatures. An adjacent creature can spend a minor action to enhance their attack, blinding an enemy if they hit. Light edges ignore the concealment and only take a -2 penalty to attack rolls if targeted by the enhanced attack.
-(Zhen and Tyrn) The blue d8 in front of the main gate is a water edge effect. An adjacent creature can spend a minor action to slide a single creature in sight range two squares. Water edges are only slid one square. The green d4 on the opposing wall is the same effect, only an earth edge effect.

(other squares will be placed here as needed)

-Rhogar and Iota are slowed until the end of their next turns.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2014-02-12, 09:34 PM
When everyone has taken their positions, before the start is called, Iota starts the lineup's sequence of getting their edges out for the fight.

"Spectators... well, then..."

She reaches under her collar and feels the stained-glass charm on her necklace."Let The Light shine through me, for all to see!" her glowing hand reaches out, and in it appears a person-sized two-headed axe, sun-yellow and surrounded by glare.

Her confidence doesn't last very long, though. As the operator blows the whistle, Iota leaps forward only to find that her armor and boots feels three times heavier than they did a moment ago. She can feel the strain in her legs; if she pushes them much harder, she'll blow them out.

Macros
2014-02-13, 01:06 AM
Sorry for not using the edge to slide him, but doing so would have given him cover against my attack. Since the odds were not in my favor, I prefered to play it safe)

Suzaku took a deep breathe. The tension was almost solid around them ; nothing like his sparrings with the monks. He was beginning to feel a bit nervous, when he heard the thri-kreen leaders instructions to her men, making his ear twitch.

A kid? Victory assured? We'll see about that.

Sliding one feet, extending an open palm, he assumed a martial stance, before summoning his edge.

"I call on the winds!"

His body was instantly surrounded by arcing lightning, and he could feel the wind currents around him, their presence reminding him he was not alone. Allowing himself a small smile, he prepared to charge the closest opponent, before noticing his posture ; the thri-kreen was clearly waiting for him, ready to strike, glowing menacingly. and Taro did tell him not to rush ahead...

Then again, he did not have to come close.

Before any of his companions could move, Suzaku sprang into action, speeding past them to get a better line of sight, before extending an palm. A wind sphere sprung into existence, before flying straight toward the thri-kreen imbued with light. His air blasts were a pretty basic usage of his edge, which lacked power compared to his usual fighting style, but exprience taught him it was a good way to rile up opponents and disrupt their fighting strategy.

The young elf smiled when his projectile impacted the thri-kreen squarely in the chest, but did not allow himself to relax, expecting an imminent counter-attack.

Moving to E3 L3 (move action)
Ranged attack deals 12 storm damage (so, 17 is the more likely figure) if it hits (and given my good roll, I assumed it did) (standard action)
2 soul charges.
Turn end.

incandescent
2014-02-13, 01:41 AM
Quoril tenses up for a backhand, expecting you to rush him. He puts his arms up defensively as a bolt races towards him instead. The plates on his forearms shatter and he's knocked back a foot or two. The only evidence of his immense pain are four clenched, shaking claws. He stares you down with unblinking compound eyes as he chirps resolutely to his comrades and his plates reform.

Quoril is Bloodied

Current positions (http://i.imgur.com/f1vT5gk.jpg)
(and added rings to indicate status effects)

Darik [fire edge] (red d8, H-11) 17
Quoril [earth edge] (green D20, K-7) 17
Suzaku {2 soul charges} [stormedge] (blue d20, L-3) 15
Iltid [aqua edge] (blue d8, G-12) 12
Gitek [storm edge] (yellow d8, F-12) 12

Sentinel effects

(other squares will be placed here as needed)

-Quoril is bloodied

Dr.Gunsforhands
2014-02-13, 02:46 AM
"Suzaku, wait! Nngh...!"

Iota forces her legs to keep moving, dragging herself into position to protect Suzaku from the earthy Kreen's counterattack.

Also known as L-4

incandescent
2014-02-13, 06:44 PM
Kedalka's voice rings across the courtyard, "BBy the cliffs that touch the clouds, I am sovereignn!" A glowing tattoo explodes on her wings like jagged cracks. She fans her wings, generating a low hum while the tattoo flashes in a complex pattern. The hum seems to bounce off Darik and he steps over fifteen feet, beside Kalak. Kedalka then reel Quoril back five feet using Tyrn's earth edge, afraid she'll lose him on the other side of Regis, before moving Gitek past Iltid.

[move: sonic chessmaster (Darik granted a move action and moves to K-12), minor: slide 1 (Quoril to K-8), minor: slide 2 (Gitek to H-12)]

Iltid slides himself with the earth effect in front of Kedlaka and clicks out his edge. A billowing portal of steam opens above his head and a tree trunk sized steel cylinder with a long handle drops into his waiting hand from it. He swings his weapon in a wide arc, the end throwing a steamy cloud in front of him.

[minor: slide 1 (Iltid to F-12), Standard: Steam wall (squares E-12, E-11, and F-11) see ongoing effects]

Gitek brings forth his edge in thri kreen. Four jagged crystalline spears appear in each of his claws, looking like frozen lightning. He then dashes to the right side of the arena and his spears scrape and spark along the wall as he charges furiously towards Iota, trying to pierce her with at least one of the recklessly flailing weapons. But, he proves himself wildly inaccurate, trusting too much in his speed the fact he has four weapons to Iota's double axe. His arms move so fast that static sparks shoot ten feet around him, but apparently they have no effect if he doesn't lad a blow.

[minor: slide 1 (Quoril to L-7), move: H-12 to M-9, Standard: charge (storm spears)]

Current positions (http://i.imgur.com/ICfSFpr.jpg)

Rhogar is on deck, followed by Sara and Taro.

Darik [fire edge] (red d8, K-12) 17
Quoril [earth edge] (green D20, K-8) 17
Suzaku {2 soul charges} [stormedge] (blue d20, E-1) 15
Iltid {2 soul charges} [aqua edge] (blue d8, F-12) 12
Gitek {2 soul charges} [storm edge] (yellow d8, L-5) 12

Sentinel effects

---

-steam wall (E-12,E-11,F-11): squares affected by the water wall grant partial concealment from either side, but do not block line of sight and offer no benefit to anyone standing inside the wall (ex: creatures on opposite sides of the wall have concealment against one another, but both sides can see a creature standing in the wall)

-Quoril is bloodied

avr
2014-02-13, 11:46 PM
"Blade of Truth, strike forth!" Rhogar calls forth his soul edge as he strides up as fast as the grasping ground will let him. A pure white sword blade fills his hand and white sparks trace over his shield.

The sparks intensify with his next declaration "My shield defends all - Myrmidon Formation" The blade and shield flash out together at Gitek.

incandescent
2014-02-14, 01:00 AM
Rhogar drags himself into the fight despite his impediment and Gitek has to bring three of his four spears to bear to absorb the power from your blow, but it still leaves him drained.

Gitek is Bloodied
Rhogar is no longer slowed (i forgot to take the ring off)

Current positions (http://i.imgur.com/NJ9h1lr.jpg)

Now Sara and then Taro.

Gitek {2 soul charges} [storm edge] (yellow d8, L-5) 12
Rhogar {2 soul charges} [order edge] (steel d10, K-5) 8

Sentinel effects

---

-steam wall (E-12,E-11,F-11): squares affected by the water wall grant partial concealment from either side, but do not block line of sight and offer no benefit to anyone standing inside the wall (ex: creatures on opposite sides of the wall have concealment against one another, but both sides can see a creature standing in the wall)

Iota is slowed until the end of her next turn.

-Quoril is bloodied
-Gitek is bloodied

Rokku
2014-02-14, 07:24 AM
Sara leans forward and darts into the fray while summoning her Soul Edge.

"Blossom and burn, Ember Rose!"

A flame sparks in her palm, flaring to life and spinning outwards into a mighty flowering spear. She skids to a stop and twirls Ember Rose over her head, drawing in the power Regis' light edge before unleashing her attack.

"Meteorite Strike!"

Dense balls of flame fly from Ember Rose's tip at Quoril, Gitek, and Kalak. But for all the pomp and circumstance, the shots fly wide.

incandescent
2014-02-14, 04:07 PM
Not so fast! One meteor strikes Quoril's broad shoulder, sticking out from behind Regis. His compound eyes turn a glowing crimson color. The towering thri kreen is on his last legs.

But, the attack leaves Sara open to Gitek's lightning spears. He pushes back Rhogar's sword and digs into his energy reserves as he jabs wildly at Sara, causing 7 storm damage

Sara is marked until the end of her next turn.
Quoril is blind until the end of his next turn

Current positions (http://i.imgur.com/t5MiZ2K.jpg)

Taro, then the first wing of kreen.

Gitek {1 soul charges} [storm edge] (yellow d8, L-5) 12
Rhogar {2 soul charges} [order edge] (steel d10, K-5) 8
Sara {2 soul charges} [fire edge] (Darkred d8, K-6) 7

Sentinel effects

---

-Sara is marked until the end of her next turn.

-Quoril is bloodied and blind until the end of his next turn.
-Gitek is bloodied

GranAures
2014-02-14, 08:16 PM
With the battle more than underway Taro simply strides forward, grazing past Yolee's cage, as he starts calling his edge, starting at a mumble with each word growing louder until he's basically yelling at the end.

"Oh weapon of my soul, the unyielding drive and steadfast will, let us stand together as we long have! Essence AWAKEN!"

He is near Regis when he finishes, an orb of green light appearing above his head. Reaching up and grabbing a hold of it the light immediately forms into a single edged wooden blade in Taro's hand before he starts forward again. This time his movements have a more deliberate stride, moving as if the ground behind him was falling away as he stepped away. In a moment he moves in front of Kalak and Darik, bringing his edge down in between them in an effort driven by pure adrenaline.

"Guardian's Blade Sharding Sword!" he cries out again, striking the ground and causing a multitude of fragments of stone and wood to kick up in an attempt to dig into the two kreen.

"Now as for you," Kentaro focus his attention on Kalak, his voice mixed with a soundless rumble, his aura expanding out and latching onto the earth kreen's as he gets standing proper, "you've got me to worry about."

Free(plot): Essence AWAKEN!
Move: Move 6 to I6
Standard: Move 5 to J11
Free: Action Point: Attack with Sharding Sword(Sword of Sigils) against Kalak and Darik. Other specifics with the rolls
Minor: Use Guardian's Will(Aegis of Shielding) to mark/change marks on Kalak.
Interrupt: Hold for Kalak's attack. Reduction priority is Suzaku, Sara, Iota, Rhogar in that order. Reduces 8 points of damage.
Also: Standard Encounter Power 3 Soul Charges.

incandescent
2014-02-14, 09:37 PM
Kalak is marked (Guardians will)

If Darik had lips, he would smile. Instead he chirps excitedly, like Kentaro just saved him a bunch of trouble by closing the distance. He whips up a burning sand as he floats rapidly around behind Taro, ending up ten feet away. Then, he conjures a little ball of flame in his hands and tosses it into the air between him and Taro. The flaming terrain around them grows angrier and swirls towards the ball, eventually surrounding Taro in a ball of flames. But, his aura proves strong and he takes no damage. Darik twitches angrily. miss.

[Move (scorching wake): shift 4 to I-10 and leave behind burning squares*, minor (scorching step): shift 1 to H-11 and leave behind burning squares*, standard (Dancing flames): close blast 3, one creature in the blast, affected by burning squares]

Quoril as haggard as he is, see's himself being knocked out of the match soon. He takes up the blinding once more and stumbles forward to deliver his last feeble strike against Sara with predictable results. miss

[minor (blinding enhancement), move: shift 1 to L-7, Standard: Gravity Increase 1]

Kalak is suitably annoyed by Taro impeding his bombardment. He raises his stalagmite against the opposing earth edge, but decides he wouldn't like to see his gravity manipulation bounce right off. He steps back and lobs another air warping ball and tries to trap Suzaku and Iota. Iota avoids the second blast. Suzaku is protected by Kentaro's aegis, reducing the crushing sensation to a slight numbing pain. But, Suzaku is still slowed by the power.

Iota is missed
Suzaku takes 1 damage and is slowed until the end of his next turn
(I ruled that the aegis reduces the damage he takes, so his vulnerability was still triggered. This could be something mitigated by soul charge expenditure in the future.)

[move: shift 1 to K-13, Standard (Gravity Burst): Area burst 1 within 10]

Current positions (http://i.imgur.com/VyBrQB6.jpg)

Suzaku and Iota are up.

Darik {2 soul charges} [fire edge] (red d8, H-11) 17
Quoril {2 soul charges} [earth edge] (green D20, L-7) 17
Kalak {4 soul charges} [earth edge] (green d8, K-13) 17
Gitek {1 soul charges} [storm edge] (yellow d8, L-5) 12
Rhogar {3 soul charges} [order edge] (steel d10, K-5) 8
Taro {3 Soul charges} [earth edge] (pink d12, D-1) 6

Sentinel effects

---

-Burning Squares (H-11,I-10,J-10,K-10,K-11). Creatures that enter these squares take 3 fire damage

-Sara is marked EONT
-Suzaku is slowed EONT

-Quoril is bloodied
-Gitek is bloodied
-Kalak is marked (Aegis)

Macros
2014-02-15, 03:38 AM
Suzaku's eyes opened wide when he saw the attack coming. Gritting his teeth, he prepared for impact, but was surprised when a force field flickered around him, taking the brunt of the assault.

Taro-Nii-San... thanks!

However, he still felt a bit sluggish. It was like his feets were stuck to the ground, and he didn't like the feeling one bit. The young elf wasn't ready to give up, however.

"The currents will carry me, be it to danger or safety. Chaos Wind Guidance!"

Despite his impediment, the youth managed to speed up a bit, pushed by an unseen gust of wind. The storm thri-kreen immediately responded with an hasty strike, but Suzaku moved in nonetheless, confident in his temporary protection and unafraid of the element wielded against him ; spinning, he found himself between the two thri-kreens, and smirked.

"Here it comes! Divine Whirlwind!"

Dropping in a low stance, he delivered a wide sweeping kick, supported by a raging wind around him, trying to blow away his two opponents. But he still felt sluggish from the previous attack. At this rate...

Suzaku, what are you doing? Adjust at once!

That caught his attention. With renewed clarity, he shifted his body to redirect his attacks, his aura flaring dangerously in the process. The maneuver was rewarded with two solid hits ; Gitek managed to shrug of the blow somehow, as well as the lightning discharge that followed the impact, but was still sent stumbling away from Suzaku's friends. Quoril, on the other hand, suffered from the brunt of the elf attack, and crumpled to the ground. The young monk was panting after his efforts, but smiled nonetheless, the thri-kreen leader previous remark still fresh in his mind.

"How's that for a kid, huh?"

That's when he noticed the light edge nearby. Didn't they say he could use it? Extending an hand toward it, he was rewarded when his aura started glowing...

Use Chaos Wind Deception to move in L6 (2+3 charges)
Use Divine Whirlwind against opponents in L7 and L5 (5+2 charges)
Use Spirit Guiding Hand against opponent in L7
Use 4 soul charges to reroll against opponent in L5 (7-4 charges)
12 storm damage to both (17 and 7)
Use Lightning Emanation against opponent in L5, sliding him to M6 (with 6 storm damage = 1)
Use minor action to charge Regis effect
Turn end

Dr.Gunsforhands
2014-02-15, 04:15 AM
After parrying a flurry of cattle-proddings from the storm edge, Iota prepares to deal with Gitek when Suzaku vaults past the both of them and slides the Kreen aside with a fantastic whirlwind.

She nods to Suzaku in thanks, and notices Kentaro in action up ahead. This is her opening; her path is clear.

Iota rushes up past Regis's makeshift pylon, twirling her soul edge more and more rapidly as it takes up motes from his aura. The spinning axe echoes an escalating high-pitched sound, like a motor's whine crossed with a wind chime.

"Let the light of all souls guide me... SPIN DASH!"

She swings her axe as though to throw it, but instead leaps forward and allows herself to be carried along by the out-of-control light wheel. It rockets directly towards Kedalka, faster than her teammates can react.

Almost too quickly and too obscured by flashing light effects to see, the Kreen leader is clobbered to the ground, scooped back up into the air, and slammed back down again in a flurry of dance-like strikes. The bespectacled woman lands on her feet next to the Kreen leader, crouching as she catches the rest of her own momentum.

That went pretty well.

The first attack in the dice thread - the one against Gitek - doesn't happen because Suzaku (correctly) got him out of the way before the attack would have happened.

Move action: go around Rhogar and Sara to J8, using all 6 squares of movement to be polite.
Minor action: Absorb the light effect, if for no reason besides to look cool

Charge along the sequence of spaces I9, H10, G11, G12, deftly slipping between the two energy walls on the way to Kedalka, provoking no attacks of opportunity because the Charging Ram/Spin Dash stance is just that awesome.

Hit Kedalka with the charge (probably), use Power Strike for extra damage, knock her prone (because of the stance again) and blind her (because of the light buff.) Then, use the free action Dual Weapon Attack for yet another hit on the yellow d20.

According to my rolls in the Dice thread, this brings the damage to Kedalka up to a total of 30.

Sorry this took so long; I thought I posted it earlier, but apparently it didn't go through the first time. >_<;

EDIT: Also, +3 soul charges! Because I used power strike, I'm counting the attack as an encounter power since her class just doesn't have one otherwise. I hope that's alright?

incandescent
2014-02-15, 05:19 PM
Quoril is knocked out!
Kedalka is Bloodied.

Gitek's spears are easily repelled by Suzaku's wind augmented movement, let alone the storm of his soul edge, as he's swept aside. miss.

Kedalka proves more resilient than her dainty form suggests, her tattoos glowing protectively in time with Iota's strikes as she's beaten into the ground. She uses the earth edge effect once more to shove Iota back five feet. Her wings vibrate while she's on the ground and the thrum bounces off of Iltid, pushing his reflexes. He swings the heavy cylinder at Iota, but she easily ducks the blow. (miss) Kedalka looks up from the ground, directly at Iota despite her blindness. She can see an electric glow burning around the edges of the red blindness as Kedalka casts her ten more feet with Tyrn's effect, directly into Darik's fire. Iota takes 3 fire damage Iota can sense the arrogant kreen is about to show the full measure of her power if she's conscious just a few more seconds.

[minor: slide 1 to G-11, standard: Sonic Chessmaster, minor: slide 2 to I-10]

Iltid is enraged and charges from his post beside the downed Kedalka. He places all his loyalty and devotion into this attack. Iota easily dodges him in his fury, but finds herself inside a steam wall again.

[standard (Steam wall, charge to H-10), Free: spend 4 soul charges to fail again.]

Gitek makes his last stand near Quoril's dazed body, slipping over to Regis for a chance to blind Sara, but the disheartening state of things takes some of the sting out of his spears.

[move: shift 1 to L-7, minor: blinding enhancement, standard: storm spears]

Current positions (http://i.imgur.com/WpP9uVe.jpg)

Rhogar, Sara, and Taro are next

Suzaku {2 soul charges} [stormedge] (blue d20, L-6) 15
Iota {3 soul charges} [light edge] (yellow d20, I-10) 12
Kedalka {2 soul charges} [storm edge] (yellow d12, F-13) 12
Iltid {0 soul charges} [aqua edge] (blue d8, H-10) 12
Gitek {1 soul charges} [storm edge] (yellow d8, L-7) 12
Rhogar {3 soul charges} [order edge] (steel d10, K-5) 8

Sentinel effects

---

-steam wall (blue squares): squares affected by the water wall grant partial concealment from either side, but do not block line of sight and offer no benefit to anyone standing inside the wall (ex: creatures on opposite sides of the wall have concealment against one another, but both sides can see a creature standing in the wall)
-Burning Squares (red squares). Creatures that enter these squares take 3 fire damage

-Sara is marked EONT

-Quoril is unconscious
-Gitek is bloodied
Kedlakais bloodied
-Kalak is marked (Aegis)

avr
2014-02-15, 08:42 PM
Seeing Gitek retreating Rhogar turns his attention to the Thri Kreen hiding in the mists. Wait, had one of them pushed Iota into a fire? Time to do something about that.

Rushing forward he sweeps his soul edge through the shining red motes Regis conjured earlier, collecting some on the blade as he charges towards the water-edge Thri-Kreen threatening Iota. "Wolf Pack Tactics!" he roars, threatening Iltid with a series of quick jabs which fail to connect but which distract him long enough for Iota to escape the flames.

incandescent
2014-02-16, 10:14 AM
(can't really expand upon Rhogar's descriptions)

Current positions (http://i.imgur.com/4m4pIw9.jpg)
*special note: Iota is actually in H-9

Sara and Taro

Suzaku {2 soul charges} [stormedge] (blue d20, L-6) 15
Iota {3 soul charges} [light edge] (yellow d20, J-9) 12
Iltid {0 soul charges} [aqua edge] (blue d8, H-10) 12
Rhogar {4 soul charges} [order edge] (steel d10, I-9) 8

Sentinel effects

---

-steam wall (blue squares): squares affected by the water wall grant partial concealment from either side, but do not block line of sight and offer no benefit to anyone standing inside the wall (ex: creatures on opposite sides of the wall have concealment against one another, but both sides can see a creature standing in the wall)
-Burning Squares (red squares). Creatures that enter these squares take 3 fire damage

-one more turn and Rhogar will be slowed.
-Sara is marked EONT

-Quoril is unconscious
-Gitek is bloodied
-Kedlaka is bloodied
-Iltid is slowed EONT
-Kalak is marked (Aegis)

Rokku
2014-02-16, 04:47 PM
Sara shakes off the lingering static of Gitek's attack and flashes him a wicked smile. Then she holds Ember Rose out before her -- and snaps it in half at the middle. The soul edge immediately explodes into a fire cloud that engulfs Sara, but over the roaring flames, her voice echoes.

"Stab and sear, Ember Thorns!"

Immediately the fires collapse as if sucked inward and Sara is revealed, her leafy green outfit turned a hard, glossy black, her hair floating on a hot updraft, and criss-crossing her body fiery vines covered in sharp, deadly-looking thorns. She draws a thorny fist back, pulling Regis' light in, and lashes out with a punch to Gitek's jaw that sends him staggering back, and leaves jagged rends smoking in his chitin.

incandescent
2014-02-16, 05:15 PM
One of Gitek's chitinous mandibles cracks as he's thrown back into the wall in a heap. K.O.

Current positions (http://i.imgur.com/j7I0cfe.jpg)
*notes: forgot to remove Sara's ring and forgot Iltid had 2 soul charges left.

Suzaku {2 soul charges} (blue d20, L-6) 15
Iltid {2 soul charges} [aqua edge] (blue d8, H-10) 12
[s]Gitek {1 soul charges} [storm edge] (yellow d8, L-7) 12
Sara {4 soul charges} [fire edge] (Darkred d8, K-6) 7

Sentinel effects

---

-Quoril is unconscious
-Gitek is unconscious
-Kedalka is bloodied
-Iltid is slowed EONT
-Kalak is marked (Aegis)

GranAures
2014-02-16, 08:43 PM
"How kind of you, staying together," Kentaro chuckles, a playful smile forming at his lips as if what he was about to do was no different than a game to him. With no delay the swordsman steps forward, keeping stride despite any attacks directed against him, his aura fading slightly as he reaches his destination. Inhaling, Taro mixes his aura about with Tyrn's for a moment to pull Kalak closer before it's presence vanishes entirely.

"Six God Syle, Aura Technique of Gaia," Kentaro's words come out quietly, almost emanating from the ground, as he draws Essence in closer in front of him with his open hand against the back edge before a small ripple of energy passes through the area, "TREMOR PULSE!"

In an instant, the force of Taro's aura returns forcing itself against the auras of the four kreen, trying to grasp and pull at them from the ground they had been standing on. As his grasping aura attempts to hinder their foes movements, Kentaro quickly motions for the others to close in.

Move: Move to H-12 through I-12, fine with provoking
Minor: Use Tyrn's Earth Slide to slide Kalak to J-12
Standard: Attack all 4 Thri-Kreen with Tremor Pulse
1 Soul Charge used for damage reroll, 4 gained from Standard action daily power
6 Soul Charges

incandescent
2014-02-16, 11:07 PM
Afte rthe viscious blow, Kedlaka clings bitterly to what will may be her last moments of consciousness in this fight. Her wings freeze mid beat on her back. The sparks in here eyes have burned away the blindness and emanate from her mouth now as it hangs open in fury, "iI am she who should be queenn! iI will not lay down for this graceless defeatt! Taro can start to feel her soul pressure from where he stands.

Darik revels in the battle just as Kentaro does, shouting, "Yes, No-skin! Ou-alk Unathraid oth the Ou-ar thlanes!" and causing flaming sand to surge around him as he passes. He throws his head back and clicks repeatedly, laughter knocking his mandibles about. He then hovers around Taro, wreathing him in a circle of burning sand. "I have surthithed your trenor. Allo-ou ne sho-ou you my greatest FLANES!" All four of his arms direct the fire like a conductor piling a red symphony onto Kentaro, who takes 12 fire damage

[move (sorching wake): shift 4 around Taro to G-12, standard (Dancing flames), free: spend all the soul charges]

Kalak fumes, less because of the damage he shrugged off and more because the intruder before him is nigh immune to his effects while still interfering with him. He raises his stalagstaff in anger and nearly levels it against Kentaro, but decides to make a desperate to keep more foes out of the fray. His anger manifests as accuracy as he lands another crushing gravity field atop Sara and Suzaku. Suzaku is protected by Taro's will and takes 4 damage while Sara takes the full 7 earth damage. Kalak then decides to share the feeling of his inadequacy with his fellow erath edge my marching past him into Darik's fire so he can slie Taro into it as well, who takes 3 fire damage while Kalak curses his suddenly battle crazed ally. Kalak and Kentaro are bloodied. (this includes Taro's OA)

Current positions (http://i.imgur.com/ZaXpofK.jpg)
*note: i forgot the red bloodied rings

Suzaku and Iota are up

Darik {2 soul charges} [fire edge] (red d8, G-12) 17
[s]Quoril {2 soul charges} [earth edge] (green D20, L-7) 17
Kalak {2 soul charges} [earth edge] (green d8, K-13) 17
Suzaku {2 soul charges} (blue d20, L-6) 15
Iltid {2 soul charges} [aqua edge] (blue d8, H-10) 12
[s]Gitek {1 soul charges} [storm edge] (yellow d8, L-7) 12

Sentinel effects
-(Yolee) The central cage (entire 15x15 ft area) is an order edge effect that grants cover and slows anyone who ends their turn within two squares of it until the end of their next turn. A creature adjacent to the cage can spend a minor action to enhance their next attack, immobilizing the next enemy if they hit. Order edges must spend two consecutive turns in the area to be slowed and are only slowed by the enhanced attack.

---

-Sara is slowed EONT
-Suzaku is slowed EONT
-Kentaro is bloodied

-Kedalka is bloodied and cannot shift or make OA's save ends
-Iltid is slowed EONT and cannot shift or make OA's save ends
-Kalak is bloodied and marked (Aegis) and cannot shift or make OA's save ends
-Darik cannot shift or make OA's save ends

Macros
2014-02-17, 01:42 AM
Suzaku reported his attention to the general melee ahead... Only to see Kentaro swallowed by flames.

"Taro-Nii-San!"

His attempt to rush to his help was cut short, however, by yet another blast from the earth thri-kreen. The force-field activated again, showing him that his friend was still alright, and he could feel part of Rhogar's soul edge protecting him too from any lasting harm. However, it did not make that feeling of slowness disappear.

"Hey, cut it out!"

He resorted toward another air-blast against his attacker, but this time, the hasty attack missed its target, striking the wall behind him.

"Tch."

Advising the light edge behind him, he began to use it again. That could always become useful.

Move to L8
Ranged attack against opponent in J12 (3-by my count- +2 soul charges)
Minor action to charge Regs effect

Dr.Gunsforhands
2014-02-18, 12:07 AM
After a moment of dancing through fire and steam, dodging attacks and maneuvering, Iota takes an opportunity to reach her left hand to her right knee joint as Rhogar covers her with his wolf pack tactics. With a contrasting snow-white flare and an oddly mechanical popping noise, whatever was pestering her from the gravity incident earlier is set back in place.

She's going to need as much structural integrity as possible, because what she's about to do is going to really make these thri-kreen mad.

She sets her soul edge in motion once more; though she can barely make out the moth lady through the choking wall of steam, she knows that The Light will deliver her to her quarry.

"SPIN DASH!"

Minor: Healing Infusion (regain 7 health, no healing surges required)
Move: Derpy Derpment with Kentaro (to help him derp a fellow derp edge)

Standard: Charge Kedalka! She erupts from the steam wall to get at her from F12. Results still being determined, but they're looking pretty decent so far.

incandescent
2014-02-18, 01:34 AM
Suzaku is no longer slowed.

Kedalka can hang on no longer, bolstered only so much by her fury, and succumbs to Iota's vicious assault. The auras of the last three Alpha Team members intensify as their leader falls limp. (+1 to attack rolls and +2 to damage rolls).

Kedalka is unconscious.
Darik is bloodied

Iltid, the Kreen that had been guarding her for most of the battle buzzes and clicks his curses at Iota. He attempts to swat Rhogar out of the way with his bare claws, tearing into the Okassan for 9 damage with his rage fueled strike. Then steps back, bracing himself against the chains of the cage, opening himself up to a counterattack from Rhogar in the process. He charges against Yolee's invisible chains holding him to the earth just to have a chance at striking Iota down. But, yet another of his powerful blows proves too slow to connect.

Iltid is no longer slowed and makes his saving throw.

[minor: thri kreen claws, move to G-9, standard: charge to F-11 and use steam wall]

Current positions (http://i.imgur.com/AGJUgXL.jpg)

Rhogar, Sara, and Kentaro on deck

Darik {2 soul charges} [fire edge] (red d8, G-12) 17
Kalak {2 soul charges} [earth edge] (green d8, K-13) 17
Suzaku {2 soul charges} (blue d20, L-8) 15
Iota {3 soul charges} [light edge] (yellow d20, F-12) 12
[s]Kedalka {2 soul charges} [storm edge] (yellow d12, F-13) 12
Iltid {4 soul charges} [aqua edge] (blue d8, F-11) 12

Sentinel effects
-(Yolee) The central cage (entire 15x15 ft area) is an order edge effect that grants cover and slows anyone who ends their turn within two squares of it until the end of their next turn. A creature adjacent to the cage can spend a minor action to enhance their next attack, immobilizing the next enemy if they hit. Order edges must spend two consecutive turns in the area to be slowed and are only slowed by the enhanced attack.

---

-Sara is slowed EONT
-Kentaro is bloodied

-Kalak is bloodied and marked (Aegis) and cannot shift or make OA's save ends
-Darik is bloodied and cannot shift or make OA's save ends

avr
2014-02-18, 05:34 AM
Rhogar's strike at Iltid's back as he departs swings wide to his frustration but he spends no more time worrying about it. "Taro, hear my words and be inspired; aid is coming!" Rhogar calls before circling round, his aura expands to touch Taro as he speaks.

He strikes at Iltid out of a wall of mist. "Iota, stand clear - Wolf Pack Tactics! as his blade sends chitin shards flying.

GranAures
2014-02-18, 11:12 PM
Kentaro can't help but laugh a bit at Rhogar's attempt at inspiration. He couldn't argue the results, though, as the okkasan's did help relax some of the aches and minor burns he had received.

With his focus off of the fight for that moment, he could feel Sara getting ready for something big that he didn't want to be caught in. A bit reluctantly, he hops back from Darik and next to the cage, placing his souledge against one of the chains as a black wire of energy weaves around the blade and chain.

"Clear," he calls over to Sara as he pulls at the wire with his free hand, "now get it done!"

Waiting a moment for Sara to clear out her attack, Taro then points at one of the two nearest to him and most hindered by Sara's attack "GRAVITY THREAD!" the black wire lashing out and attempting to wrap around its intended target before constricting and pulling them back in range of Taro.

Move2 to G-9 from H-11(where Kalk slid me)
Minor: Draw on the order effect
Standard: Hold action until Sara finishes her attack and target either Iltik or Darik with Gravity Thread depending on who was effected and still standing from Sara's attack.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2014-02-19, 03:06 AM
Shouting animal names notwithstanding, Rhogar is pretty good about communicating the battle plan across the field. Nobody wants to be in the way of whatever spectacular petal-dance firestorm thing Sara is up to.

After she clobbers Frau von Purplewings and the back swing of her axe bops Shouty McFire-edge on the back of the head, Iota performs a twirling jump over the unconscious Kedalka to escape the wrath of Sauna Polearm. She tries to stay just a little farther away...

Shifting to E-13 from Wolf Pack Tactics

Rokku
2014-02-19, 03:50 AM
As Kentaro moves back, Sara moves in. Her armor releases a cloud of smoke and steam which pushes her forward as it returns to its leafy green state, and she plods the last few steps forward, slowly raising Ember Rose over her head. When she reaches her spot, she swings the spear down hard. From its point of impact with the ground, vines of flame shoot across the ground, covering the swath of terrain containing the three kreen. The vines pulse and writhe, deadly thorns budding from them until Sara speaks.

"Firespray Thorns!"

At which point the vines explode into a storm of thorny, fiery hurt.

incandescent
2014-02-20, 01:19 AM
Rhogar's blade strikes true both times, visibly diminishing the stout kreen's strength on the first blow and actually cracking Iltid's thick chitin.

Iltid is bloodied

Sara steps up to unleash her attack after Taro steps away and angry flames pour between the remaining enemies. Luck seemed to have dictated that none of them were hit by the verdant shrapnel. However, Sara is able to gather up the residual fiery energy and direct it at a single foe. Iltid is pierced by the thorns as they burn to cinders and is struck down.

Iltid is unconscious.

Kentaro now makes his move with Darik as his prey. The thread strikes true, latching onto the fire kreen. Kentaro can feel the mothman's will fading and squeezes just a little more of his soul into the blow, taking him down as well.

Darik is unconscious

Kalak takes a moment to look across the battlefield and sees how thoroughly his team has been bested. His jaws click, an insect scoff. He drops his staff, which pierces the earth and seems to unmake itself as if undoing a thousand years in a few seconds. He walks around Taro (provoking an opportunity attack) and steps over Darik's body, taking heavy steps until he kneels by Kedalka and whispers, "Seens ou-e hath thailed dethore ou-e ethen degan.

There's a genuine applause from the remaining team, who seemed thoroughly entertained by the whole event. Mokaina's voice pierces the commotion, " We have a clear victor. Team Beta wins the right to-" She suddenly pauses and Team Gamma goes quiet.

Each of you notices you can't feel your body. As you assess yourself, you see your edges glowing in your hands or as they float around you. The glow grows and grows, the simple light growing strange prismatic edges that feel beyond your comprehension. The light expands and fills your field of vision until you can't see anything but your body standing in a white void. Colorful crystalline blurs seem to take notice of you and inch closer in the void, but the experience lasts only for a moment as the glow compresses back into your body in the blink of an eye.

Suddenly back in the court yard, you notice orbiting clouds of debris and dust dissipate as you become aware of your body once more. Your soul feel hardened, stronger. A desire to shout wells up within you, gone in a flash if you do not indulge it. This feels like only the beginning, the first step. You've grown a second soul shell. You're now level two and your auras can be felt from ten feet away.

suddenly, Berran is in your midst, like he teleported or just fell out of the sky. His algorithmic edge is held high, vaccuuming up stray motes of soul energy. He gushes, "OH, spontaneous synthesis! I never thought I'd get to see it again! I'm getting so. much. DATA!" He twirls like a ballerina as he flits back and forth, making sure to sample the air around each of you.

Kalak has apparently fallen to a sitting position against the inner wall, sheltering Kedalka from what was apparently quite a little dust storm, "and no-ou this insult.

Mokaina strides among you. Her soul doesn't feel... quite as overwhelming as before. Her true thoughts are hard to determine through her wiry facade, "Hmm... full of surprises today aren't we..."

Macros
2014-02-20, 01:48 AM
"Whoa."

Suzaku wasn't sure about what just happened, but it felt good. He was... lighter? Somehow? And the other strange elf seemed to know what it was, so there probably was no problem.

"Hey we won! Awesome! You guys were great, all "Yaaah!" and "Light!" and something about wolves." His expression fell down a little as a memory of the previous battle entered his mind. "Are you alright, Taro-Nii-San? They didn't go easy on you out there..."

Then his smile returned.

"As for me, not a scratch, thanks to you!"

GranAures
2014-02-20, 02:51 AM
"Yeah, I'm fine," Taro responds, his souledge reverting back into an orb of light before fading down into his hand, "guess we got Rhogar to thank for that," he takes a moment to motion over towards the okkasan warrior.

"Now for more pressing matters, Taro scratches at one of his patches of hair in concentration, "what the hell was that about?"

Throwing some rolls up for this namely Arcana and History

Rokku
2014-02-20, 02:23 PM
"Ooh," mutters Sara, "tingly." She stretches her entire body and wiggles her fingers, adjusting to the new sensation. Once settled, she lets Ember Rose go, and the flame spear disappears in a wisp of smoke, going out like a pinched match.

"So.. go team, yeah?"

incandescent
2014-02-20, 08:59 PM
Someone whistles from the crowd as Sara stretches, but they're packed too tightly to identify the pervert.

Mokaina looks to Berran and sighs, "Please don't tell me you need to take them, I'm already down one salvage Team."

The elf shakes his head vigorously, "Nonono, I'm at ground zero! This will only take a minute. However... Mokaina takes a step forward, finger pointed at Berran, but he raises his hands as her mouth opens behind the wire mesh, "I'm just wondering if our new recruits here wouldn't mind giving me a blood sample. Anyone who does so will be given a new soul shard to take up some of the room in their newly minted soul shell. How about it?"

As stated somewhere in the recruitment thread, your soul capacity is twice your level (so 4 right now) and a soul shard occupies a number of this capacity equal to it's level.

All the shards Berran offers are level one and are weapon/implement/armor properties or groups. Examples: light blade, brutal 2, high crit, etc. Just ask in the OOC thread if you choose to give a blood sample.

EDIT: see OOC about ranged/melee addition.

Rokku
2014-02-20, 11:07 PM
Sara steps up to Berran and presents her arm.

"What the hell, right? I like shiny things."

GranAures
2014-02-20, 11:20 PM
"So long as you keep it at a sample," Kentaro follows up on the question as well, "I'd like to still be able to see straight when your done."

avr
2014-02-20, 11:42 PM
Rhogar scratches a quick circle in the dust with his souledge before letting it vanish, delighting in the swifter movement.

"Advancing knowledge is a great honour. Of course I accept." he replies to Berran.

incandescent
2014-02-20, 11:45 PM
"Excellent! If you'll excuse me..." He holds his bracer hand in front of his chest and rests his other hand on top of it. "Zero-one-zero-one! Algorithmic edge, MEDICAL RELEASE!" A bright light flashes from the digital reader as the numbers shift from 13 to 05 and a transparent purple gloves grows from the bracelet around Berran's hand. His index finger seems to have some sort of pointed apparatus and a tube drawing running back to the bracer. He turns to Taro "all I need is to do is poke you in the arm aaaand- Done!" who doesn't feel a thing. The bracer replaces the thumbtack sized needle and pricks Sara. Then repeats the process with Rhogar.

The numbers 05 flash twice and a secondary screen materialized on his wrist. His eyes scan over it and his wicked smile returns, "Oh, a chemical challenge, eh? I haven't been bested by plasma yet!" He stares at the display for almost a minute before looking back up, "Oh, sorry! come in to my office to select your addition. It'll be easier to file through them on the screen."

Dr.Gunsforhands
2014-02-21, 01:04 AM
---Like five minutes ago----

"Ah..."

Iota seems less comfortable with this development than everyone else, doubled over as though she's trying to keep her intestines from spilling out. But she soon notices that everyone seems to have experienced the same thing and tentatively stands up straight.

"So.. go team, yeah?"

"...er. Yeah. Go team..."

Hearing Mokaina's complaint about being down a salvage team, she notices Kedalka still lying unconscious on the ground and examines the bruises that she herself had just given the Kreen.

"Kedalka, right? Open your eyes, and walk again in the light of day!"

Apparently, the short prayer is enough to trigger some kind of stimulation mechanism in her left hand, emitting a pale white aura and rousing Kedalka instantly, much to Iota's surprise.

"Oh! Hello again, ma'am. You should probably choose a new assignment for your team before they're all taken."

The Kreen probably gives her the cold shoulder, but Berran's thing becomes relevant before it matters much. Iota stares at her own hand skeptically. She hadn't known about that function before.

----Now----

Iota hesitates to offer a blood sample, but Rhogar's argument in favor of advancing metahuman knowledge ultimately wins out.

After an awkward pause, Iota reluctantly pulls back her armor sleeve to reveal the peculiar wood-and-flesh amalgam of her forearm.

After a couple of statistically impossible failed attempts to get a blood sample, Iota points out a spot on the back of her arm that should work better. Once the elf is satisfied, she follows the group to his office and looks at the collection of soul shards with increasing concern.

"...where did you get all of these?"

Macros
2014-02-21, 01:15 AM
"So, you're saying that if we give a drop of blood, we get a shiny new thing? That sounds like a vampire story, or something."

Suzaku nonetheless willingly complied. What could he say, he liked shiny things. He didn't like needles, though, so the process took a bit longer than it ought to be, with gust of winds spontanously bursting to life to "protect" the young elf. Once this tedious task was done, he follows the rest of the group, noting Iota's concerns. He took him a moment to realize the reason for that.

"That's... those shards were... souls? Souls of living people? And to have so many of them..."

He couldn't help but to take a step back from their host.

GranAures
2014-02-21, 03:04 AM
"Probably compliments of other salvage teams if I had to wager," though less perturbed by the presence of them, Taro's voice's can't help but hint at him being slightly impressed at the quantity.

"Not everything ends as cleanly as our little skirmish, and it's no hard thought to turn in what you can't use yourself for some creds."

Taking a moment to sift through the supply using whatever is provided, Taro simply points one out. It was a simple addition, offering him some range in a pinch but well within his existing combat abilities.

incandescent
2014-02-22, 01:24 AM
---before entering the office---

Kedalka shows just a hint of her indignant rage before gaining control of herself and speaking coolly, "Thank you for at least partially rectifying this... set back. She begins rousing her other companions.

Berran whispers to Iota
"What intriguing... modifications you have. I read your file but wasn't prepared for this craftsmanship. This work looks familiar to me. Remind me, who was it that fixed you up again?"

---in the office---

Berran brings up the list on the screen and blinks at the sea of concerned looks, "Oh, you misunderstand. We're not warforged here. These are simply physical fragments. At best, parts and appendages that modify an existing soul. True, some of them may have been recovered from fallen individuals, but only a small percent. Many times, family members will take up shards of the deceased and pass it on through the generations or add it to the metropolitan mosaic of life. Sometimes soul shards can be given as restitution, as is the case with most of these, where someone sold one of their ancillary, not tightly bonded fragments to the city. Metropolis is always buying, you see, because an unbound soul shard is a dangerous thing. Their natural state is to be metaphysically bonded, else they decay into something... unwholesome. So, pay no mind to the previous owner. All of these are certified, at least all the ones you have access to. Now, if you just select one, I'll give you a voucher to the Neutral Vault."

Mokaina walks in while everyone finishes choosing, "If you're all done with this side show, you can also head to the depot after picking up your shards. At least one of you will have to be 'attuned' to the vehicle in order to pilot it. Unless you plan on walking.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2014-02-22, 05:50 PM
"That would be my uncle Emmett... what do mean by familiar?"

Iota examines the certificate for a little shield-shaped shard. It was donated to the city by a guard officer as he retired. No bloodshed, no coercion. Reasonable enough.

incandescent
2014-02-25, 06:39 PM
"I believe I recognize some of the techniques used to bind you together. The knowledge is all but lost at this point since cybernetic studies became demonized after the warforged uprising. Your uncle must've learned from of been affiliated with the Transmech Society. The last holdouts of this particular area of medical knowledge."

---

"Now that you all have your tokens, you'll be able to pick up the actual shards from the Neutral Vault in the Capital District." Berran glances at the impatient field operations manager, "And you're now free to pursue your mission however you're able. Now, if you'll excuse me, I do believe the other Dregs would like to pick up a job.

Members of Team Gamma file in one by one, led by a proudly beaming Grimlock. The two macabre skinless seem neutral while Matilda and the Okassan seem bitter or disappointed.

Matilda looks to Rhogar, her voice exasperated, "We're stuck with the boats because of Ju! If you find anything interesting out there, I'll trade you for it."

Drentio, the skinless covered in plastic eyes, gives Sara a wide berth for some reason as Team Gamma walks to the desk.

GranAures
2014-02-25, 07:13 PM
"Right let's get moving," Taro follows Berrans glance for a moment before picking out his voucher, "wouldn't want your boss to get her wires wound on our account."

Intentionally oblivious to any response Mokaina may have in retort, Taro just walks out and waits on the others to pick out their vouchers.

"Okay, huddle time," the skinless starts again when the rest catch back up outside the office, "who wants driver duty?"

Macros
2014-02-25, 07:39 PM
"Ooh! Ooh! I do!"

The incredulous stares thrown at him quickly convinced Suzaku that apparently, his companions wouldn't operate on shotgun calling rules. Well, drats. He could only sigh at his misfortune, quicking an imaginary pebble on the road for good measure.

"All right, I'll stick to watching duties, then."

Rokku
2014-02-25, 11:52 PM
Sara -- sensing a plothook -- approaches the googly-eyed skinless.

"Okay, what."

She puts her hands on her hips and glares.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2014-02-26, 10:59 AM
"Hmm."

Iota's not sure what to make of there being a whole secret society based around this... technique. She loves her uncle, but she has never been a fan of what he had turned her into. As she wraps up the whispered conversation, she wonders whether that's why he never mentioned such a thing to her.

Regarding the pilot's chair, Iota looks from Suzaku to Taro and back again as the group gets their directions to The Vault and The Depot.

"I don't see a problem with that, actually. It depends on the vehicle, but as long as you are attuned to it, it should only be a matter of staying aware of your surroundings. I guess I could do it if there's an issue with minimum driving age."

While they're at Ms. Mokaina's desk, the team asks about the details of the case. "We should also coordinate with the extraction team that was mentioned. Where could we meet them?"

incandescent
2014-02-26, 05:48 PM
"Right let's get moving," Taro follows Berrans glance for a moment before picking out his voucher, "wouldn't want your boss to get her wires wound on our account."

Intentionally oblivious to any response Mokaina may have in retort, Taro just walks out and waits on the others to pick out their vouchers.

"Okay, huddle time," the skinless starts again when the rest catch back up outside the office, "who wants driver duty?"

"Keep your hostility in check 'Ghoul'" She places a derisive emphasis on the word, "or you'll find yourself back in the slums with the other ferals."

Sara -- sensing a plothook -- approaches the googly-eyed skinless.

"Okay, what."

She puts her hands on her hips and glares.

The tall skinless backs up a step and stammers, struggling to gain control of his speech. The shorter female, speaks without turning away from the rest of her group, "He's just afraid you heard him whistling out there." Her speech is muffled by the antlered skull covering her head.

"Rakella!" Drentio groans before snapping his attention to Sara, "W-what can I say? My e-eyes look everywhere, I can't help it!" He freezes in place, unsure whether to run or what.

"Hmm."

Iota's not sure what to make of there being a whole secret society based around this... technique. She loves her uncle, but she has never been a fan of what he had turned her into. As she wraps up the whispered conversation, she wonders whether that's why he never mentioned such a thing to her.

Regarding the pilot's chair, Iota looks from Suzaku to Taro and back again as the group gets their directions to The Vault and The Depot.

"I don't see a problem with that, actually. It depends on the vehicle, but as long as you are attuned to it, it should only be a matter of staying aware of your surroundings. I guess I could do it if there's an issue with minimum driving age."

While they're at Ms. Mokaina's desk, the team asks about the details of the case. "We should also coordinate with the extraction team that was mentioned. Where could we meet them?"

Mokaina speaks over her shoulder as she walks to Berran's desk, "You are the extraction team. You will be responsible for getting yourselves in and out, hence the rover." She turns to the elf, "Can you extract the files for this assignment from here? I've got to recruit some sentinels to take care of the delegation before I have to travel out to the other side of the temple lands to meet a... special envoy."

Berran nods, "I'll begin searching the network ma'am. Have a safe trip."

Mokaina walks back outside, stopping in her tracks just as soon as she leaves the doorway. She sighs, pointing at the sentinels, "Can you three help Yolee down all ready?

(Mission info coming next post)

Rokku
2014-02-27, 04:45 PM
Sara looks eye-guy up and down, considering him.

"Looking's okay," she finally says, "just don't get starey. Or grabby. Or judge...y."

Sara turns and starts walking back to her team, then stops and spins on her heel.

"Unless I invite you to," she adds. Then she spins again and sashays back to the team.

incandescent
2014-02-27, 09:09 PM
Drentio takes a breath before retuning to his team, feeling like he dodged a bullet some how.

---

Mission information:

The reports here are sparse, since no one has managed to make it inside without being lost. The ancient complex looks smaller than the occupying forces encountered would suggest, leading to researchers hypothesizing that the temple is the cap on an underground structure of unknown size. Crumbling debris normally characterizes the temple lands, but the immediate area of the complex looks like it's being cleared out and stacked defensively. Analysis of the organic temple sculpture and structure suggests that during ancient times that temple was dedicated to the Water element. This is a strange ruin to occupy because it's deep in the temple lands where plants don't even grow.

The criminal ranks are composed mainly of elves and thri kreen, with the occasional Okassan. The occupying force doesn't seem to be particularly well trained, though they've been getting smarter with each incursion it seems. Their tactics are crude and terroristic, but brutal. The average criminal encountered has 4 soul shells and as many as 12 have been seen outside the complex at one time during debris clearing operations. They have no dedicated supply line to protect (which is strange in the barren lands) so siege tactics have proven ineffective as they're able to send small teams out to pillage trade routes. Skirmishes have shown that they have at least one edge of each type, with no particular predominance, and prefer to structure their forces so. One woman seems to be at the head of their offensive efforts, a chaos edged elf named Rho. She's an exile from the elven lands known for her extreme regressivist political views. She sought to return the elves to roaming warbands and recruited several like-minded individuals before being declared a public enemy and vanishing, only to appear as one of the leaders in this operation. Another curious figure of the occupation is a male Spiritkin who makes rare appearances. He doesn't seem to have a direct hand in what's going on, always in a position of oversight. His name and motivation are unknown.

The goal of this assignment is to either clear the occupants or return with information (for a smaller payout of course). Lethal force is authorized in dealing with these criminals. Access to a Light Reconnaissance Vehicle is authorized. One week is allotted to complete this assignment.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2014-02-27, 11:15 PM
Iota reviews the material with everyone on the way to the Capital District Vault.

"Four shells hardly sounds like an, 'average criminal.' This Rho must be doing some heavy recruiting for her cause."

"The ruins themselves will likely have choke points for us to manage, but it looks like they're setting up to make it difficult even to approach the entrance. If there are any supplies that anyone thinks would help, we should probably try to find them while we are here."

Rokku
2014-02-28, 12:06 AM
"Bombs," says Sara, "lots of bombs. And if we could find some kind of back door into the place, that'd be great."

GranAures
2014-02-28, 12:38 AM
"Definitely going to need a back way in," Taro grunts distractedly. His mind was running on two other things at the time before setting the task to try to recall if he had read up anything about the temple in the area. Even while his thoughts ran about, the skinless tried to quiet his mind a bit, hoping to wrangle in his presence.

Then there was still the matter of Keb to attend to. Apparently the former Ghoul had taken a skin of gambling paraphernalia so Taro let his eyes gaze about to see if he could find him. It was a rather dim prospect for the moment, but Taro could hope that his old friend was only being dragged about by the slum gangs.

Macros
2014-02-28, 01:25 AM
"Hm, but if they are thieves, wouldn't they use the back door themselves?" asked Suzaku innocently.

He felt a bit out his element right now, surrounded by people who probably knew what they were talking about, but he couldn't help but think the guys they were after probably knew the place better than them. Infiltrating it might be problematic, the same way his nightly escapades in the monastery were often foiled by wary monks with a perfect knowledge of the terrain. There was one strategy that served him well, though...

"What about trying to lure some of them out?" An idea struck him. "We could even try to capture some of them! That would help, right?"

Rokku
2014-03-01, 06:03 AM
"Bandits are more aggro than thieves. A thief tries to steal from you without you knowing it. A bandit just shoves his edge in your face and takes what he wants. Trying to lure some of them with a deceptively soft target isn't a bad idea, though."

Macros
2014-03-01, 10:16 AM
"Hmm, I'm not sure we have one of those, though..."

He suddenly realized everyone was starring at him intensely.

"... what?"

Dr.Gunsforhands
2014-03-01, 07:25 PM
Iota thinks on the bait plan for a moment.

"Well, more so than individuals, I think they have taken to pillaging supply caravans... even ones that are heavily guarded. If a shipment is scheduled to go near that area soon, we may be able to protect it, or perhaps sneak in once they send their best raiders out to capture the transport."

The group reaches the vault and exchanges their vouchers. The hangar would be next, but not until they have a good plan for what to do with their fancy vehicle.

Iota gives Suzaku some extra attention when another thought occurs to her. "Do you have any experience with infiltration, actually?"

Macros
2014-03-01, 08:04 PM
Suzaku seriously pondered the question.

"It depends. Do night raids on the monastery's kitchen count?"

Once again, he found himself on the receiving end of incredulous stares, which made him a bit defensive.

"Hey! You try to skip past an army of monks who are all about the "inner eye" or situational awareness, and you never know when they're sleeping or just meditating! It's not that easy!"

incandescent
2014-03-04, 01:54 PM
The capital district is situated in the uppermost tier of Metropolis. The group has to take an Aerial Public Transport to get there. The place is very ornate compared to the exposed iron and concrete of lower Metropolis. The archways and edifices are grand structures of beautiful stone, ceramic, and polished alloys. These materials are echoed by the sentinels guarding the nerve center that directs Metropolis. Access is very restricted up here and the soul of each guardian rivals that of Mokaina. The group is barred from most buildings except for the Neutral Vault, where they're given a pass to the first level. The inside of the building feels like a living entity, a vast, but faint aura. Your vouchers are taken by ascetic looking individuals (suzaku has flashbacks to his monastery) that call themselves 'Attendants to the Neutrals', who in turn transfer your selected shards directly from their soul to yours.

The depot is a large, cavernous complex on the underside of Metropolis' military operation and overlooks the toxic water. Your vehicle is brought to your by a a No-skin like Kentaro and seems happy to tell you the ins and outs of the small transport. It's a four wheeled, somewhat extended cart with a roll cage on top. A dune buggy with 6 seats. The back four can come out and make a cargo area complete with straps and hooks. He says it'll take about eight hours for one to get attuned to the vehicle so that they can properly manipulate it. Those that want to spend another day with the vehicle can operate it at maximum capacity.

Vehicle stats (basic):
HP: 50
Defenses: Equal to the attuned
Speed: move action 8 (overland speed 15)

Vehicle stats (advanced)
HP: 75
Defenses: Equal to the attuned (see special)
Speed: Move action 10 (overland speed 20)
Special: All creatures in the vehicle gain +2 to all defenses.

Any supplies you'd like to requisition will be sort of difficult since you haven't proven yourself to anyone yet outside defeating your thri kreen competitors. You don't really have a name on which to borrow things by promising a percentage of your earnings. For minor supplies (i.e adventuring gear) you can promise a credit equivalent portion of your earnings because your organization insures anything up to 50 credits. For larger things, like demolition charges, you'd have to ply your talents, scour the city and look around for someone who could provide what you need within your price range.

The temple lands are known as such because these elemental ruins dot their surface. The temples are from a time when the eight elements were followed like tribal bands. The more physical elements (fire, earth, water, storm) have a greater number of temples because they're usually tied to areas where that element is present. In the past, this water temple most likely oversaw a lake or was built in an area with heavy rains or had some other affiliation with water. Though temples are usually built for spiritual purposes in addition to other reasons and secrets that may not be so obvious.

History
(I'm confused what you mean about 'the fall'. I can't find it in recent posts. Point me to it and I'll edit some more info in here if applicable.) You know that the temples were a result of the Time of Strife, a period where people built and rallied around great structures dedicated to their element. There are many channels and grooves cut into the side of the structure among abstract geometric sculptures, which are typical of early edge forms. The channels are similar to aqueducts with holes in them, but they lead from the top of the temple and straight down the side like buttresses. This leads you to believe the structure is more hollow and supported from the outside than other temples of it's type, with many window like portals on all sides.

Arcana
N/A

perception
While traveling around the bridge slums, you don't see any individual members of the Ghouls. But, you see a new mark that you assume represents them placed aggressively around the bridge area: Two offset green skulls skewered by a spear.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2014-03-04, 06:06 PM
"Alright. Before we go, we should try to requisition a schedule of when any transports are to travel through a threatened area. Then we scout the location of the compound in our vehicle to see if infiltration is a viable option with the defenses they have in place. We can come up with a more specific plan from there."

While some party members go out for supplies and for the schedule, someone is going to need to attune to the buggy. Iota looks at Suzaku.

"Do you want to, or should I?"

incandescent
2014-03-04, 07:14 PM
Generally available information: The public is advised not to travel through that area as there's no military protection. Military efforts are classified. Caravans under private companies don't have their records publicly available so as to avoid this kind of attack. If you want this kind of information, you'll have to dig or find someone who can.

GranAures
2014-03-04, 09:22 PM
Bridge Area
"Well that might explain something," Taro grumbles, pulling down one of the markings and cramming it in his pocket, assuming of course that it wasn't painted on the bridge itself. He's fairly quiet the rest of the way, though clearly simmering by the time they reach the APT. The thought of someone likely going about and dragging his group's name about was as irritating of the notion of having to pick the field manager's brain about it.

Depot
"Infiltration may be difficult," Taro shakes his head gravely, having had some time to mill over the situation, "thing's liable to have windows everywhere basically from what I can recall."

The skinless gives a small shrug.

"Course, there's nothing to say for trying. Or we could get someone resilient sized out for a good fit then play destruction derby."

Rokku
2014-03-05, 12:51 PM
Sara looks the vehicle up and down, grinning widely.

"I'll drive it," she says, sounding a little... hungry.

"I've got great reflexes, great eyesight, I'm attuned to nature... and I really wanna drive it!"

Dr.Gunsforhands
2014-03-05, 03:08 PM

"...me it is."

Iota climbs into the driver's seat through Suzaku's disappointed groans and Sara's vocal protests and examines the controls, beginning the attunement process. She doesn't want to deal with Sara being the driver.

Macros
2014-03-05, 06:06 PM
"Nuts."

Well, at least, what they were off to do seemed quite fun, even if he was not sure what it was all about. But he got to do the distraction / infiltration, which sounded awesome. Meanwhile, he decided to stay with Iota, watching her using the controls.

"Sooo... How long have you been doing this? I mean, not this, just... this... adventuring... stuff. From what you said back then, you seemed to know a lot about it."

He was suddenly struck with an idea.

"Say, you told that you were good at religious stuff. Any idea what a "child of the wind" is?" The question only drew a blank stare. "Didn't think so. Drats."

incandescent
2014-03-06, 10:02 PM
Over the next eight hours, Iota learns how to channel her soul in a new way. At first it feel unnatural to shape the familiar extension of her spirit into something new, as if she had held her hand straight this entire time and started bending fingers she didn't know she had. Eventually she gains a new manifestation for her soul edge, a smaller, pronged version of her double axe that can be used to power this buggy.

If Suzaku stays the whole time, he gains half a day's worth of progress (4 hours) towards learning to pilot the vehicle himself.

The group can be ready to leave by tomorrow if Iota and Suzaku want an extended rest.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2014-03-06, 10:40 PM
"Sooo... How long have you been doing this? I mean, not this, just... this... adventuring... stuff. From what you said back then, you seemed to know a lot about it."

"That... depends on your definition of adventuring. About seven years, off and on."

...has it really been that long?

...no, it's actually been about three years longer. That period doesn't really count, though...

He was suddenly struck with an idea.

"Say, you told that you were good at religious stuff. Any idea what a "child of the wind" is?" The question only drew a blank stare. "Didn't think so. Drats."

"Hm?" Iota's mind wandered for a moment, but it didn't make much difference; she still doesn't really know what he's talking about. "Sorry...for what its worth, it sounds like a shamanist concept. Why do you ask? Was there any other context to it?"

As they discuss their peculiar visions and such, Iota shows Suzaku how the buggy works as she learns to adapt her own soul to the contraption effectively. Iota seems to have much a better intuition for the vehicle's physical moving parts than for its arcane magical interface.

incandescent
2014-03-08, 09:03 PM
You can't say you've heard the exact phrase before and don't know any specific details about lore or legends based on the wind/storm element. Though you can recall some rather general info about the reverence of children by old cultures. Signs and symbols at the time of their birth led people to revere them and raise them as great leaders. At least you think so, you can't recall any figure of note with that particular origin.

(unless you roll a slightly harder history check to cover for this lower roll)

The files given to you by Berran point to a spot far to the southwest of Mulkay Gate (the entrance to the bridge slum) as the location of the criminal hideout. It's well off the beaten path, as most trade routes flow to the northwest, toward elven lands. However, people looking to get to okassan territories seem likely to be plagued by these dissidents.

The ride to the temple lands will be swift, but penetrating the thick ruins upon ruins will slow the trek. Getting to the Aqua temple will likely take four to six hours. The drive to the edge of the temple lands takes two hours, with the rest being determined by the path taken and the thickness of the ruins.

either post what you're doing before you leave or how you're navigating through the thick ruins. I may ask for rolls in OOC.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2014-03-08, 11:57 PM
As they pull out onto the main road after a decent night's rest, the team examines the map. If the previous investigators had any sense, they should have plotted the sites of a few of the robberies... and if the robbers have any sense, they should have a good path from there through the ruins to their temple hideout.

Either way, Iota asks Sara to help find the best angle to get into the temple lands, and once there to help properly weave through her surroundings. Having sufficiently attuned to the buggy, Iota's also developed a good sense for what the machine can squeeze through, turn around, and climb over.

Macros
2014-03-09, 06:33 PM
Watching Iota operate the device had been fun for a while, but now, Suzaku's old nemesis was catching up to him.

Boredom.

Unfortunately, there was not a lot of things he could do right now. So he resorted to something he usually did only after hours of coaxing, veiled threats and / or hefty briberies : meditating exercices. Well, if he had to be honest, he did not hate them per see... He just hated the fact he had to do them when the monks told him to. But once he managed to find the right state of mind, it was actually rather pleasant. And he hoped that it could help him get a better understanding of his powers, which seemed to have grown a bit in the aftermath of their previous battle.

Without him even realizing it, he was surrounded by a light breeze, while his mind was lost in the clouds. He finally opened his eyes... to find himself levitating a few feet above the ground.

And then he landed on his butt with a yelp.

But despite his bruised bossom, it didn't matter too much to him. Because now, he knew something, something important.

"I can fly."

Screw meditation, he had some running around to do.

Rokku
2014-03-10, 03:28 AM
Sara put a token effort into navigating, but was still put-out that she wasn't getting to drive. She may not have given it her best.

GranAures
2014-03-11, 07:59 PM
With little need to grab anything, Taro crashes out in the depot unless hindered in doing so. Including any attempts at sleep, he tries to wash out the days previous annoyances so as to better focus on the task they had coming up the next day.

Out on the road the next morning, he tries to help navigate from his position in the vehicle. There wasn't much he could do but he did try to look out for any gaps in the terrain as well as try to recall any old travel routes from when the temple grounds were still in use.

incandescent
2014-03-12, 02:44 PM
Iota has trouble maneuvering through the rubble of the barely explored temple lands. The only route she sees through the almost impenetrable banks of crumbling stone and heavily modified landscape is a steep rock bank. Before she takes the scouting vehicle over the pile, Sara points out how unsteady the formation looks, especially with the eroded earthen wall holding it up. Sara can't think of another space along the wall that would support the vehicle. Iota continues driving and Taro spots a mostly intact temple concealed among the rubble that might offer passage through. Examining the structure, he finds that it is an old storm temple built with great pipes to catch the wind and produce some kind of music or sound. At least it would if most of the chambers weren't blocked. This is a common type of storm temple that pays homage to the wind but seems unique in that it's plastered with weathered okassan artworks. The pipes look like images of the great vines bridging the two continents (which everyone can see to the south like a distance, spongy mountain range) and reliefs carved into the sides of the temple of okassan warriors with feral edges that look like spines, claws, and jaws. Strangely, you recognize the prominent figure standing as a statue on top. The imposing, garishly grinning reptile appears to be Jocha, one of the earliest figures in okassan history to fearlessly strike out from the vines, regardless of whether he and his brood were remembered in the vergassun or not. Ironically, his family secured its place by being the first to leave.

The temple looks mostly unbothered by the flow of time, perhaps protected by the collapse around it. There's a good chance that there will be passage deeper into the templelands through this complex,

Dr.Gunsforhands
2014-03-15, 02:02 PM
"Hrmm."

Iota sighs as she carefully inches the vehicle through the dense ruins, questioning whether this is really any better than walking. Of course, it still got them all this far in a matter of hours, so at least a chunk of the overland travel was cut out already.

Taro points out the temple in the distance as she prepares to crawl the jalopy over the unsteady rock formation. She stops, looks at the building, and shrugs.

"...alright, it's worth a shot. We'd have to drive over these rocks all of the way around it, otherwise. If nothing else, it seems like a reasonably safe parking spot."

She the buggy away from the crumbling hazard and drives over to the temple entrance.

Macros
2014-03-16, 06:06 PM
The last minutes had been spent jumping up and down by the young elf, testing his newfound "flight" - which apparently was more akin to jumping really high. It did give the possibility of finding a good vantage point, though.

"Okay, I'll keep an eye open for obstacles!"

This was getting exciting, Suzaku felt. Like in those pirates stories! Well, he wasn't exactly sure what pirates usually did, but it surely was something like that, right? All they needed was a black flag. And rhum. Apparently rhum was important - but his suggestions to get some at the monastery were only met with outrage. Go figure.

Putting those thoughts at the back of his mind, the monk began to play vigil, fwatching every inch of landscape, hoping to see something exciting coming out to meet them.

GranAures
2014-03-19, 11:34 AM
"Yeah, bit more stable an environment to work in at least," Taro nods in agreement as Iota pilots the buggy over. "We might be able to find a back entrance or use the music pipes to move further out."

Going silent again, Kentaro begins trying to think back to his forced studies, trying to recall anything about the layout of the structure. His efforts were proving less than fruitful though, as a small psychosomatic ache started creeping through the back of his head.

incandescent
2014-03-19, 04:27 PM
Taro has trouble envisioning the layout of the old temple. He can't tell whether it's something about the place itself, the pale cracked stone, the faded green and yellow paints on the walls, the imposing statues lurking in the shadows, or just his growing headache. But, something about the temple was putting a bad vibe through him. The rooms seem almost out of place, like they give him the expectation that he's going to enter one part of the temple only to lead somewhere else entirely. His direction leads Iota astray as he tries to find the right path, leaving the buggy in a somewhat compromising position in some tight pathways that were likely meant as ambush points for people trespassing in the temple.

Luckily, Suzaku manages to show a surprising amount of focus and is able to help keep Kentaro on task. He notices a repeating pattern to a few of the statues marking different entrances and exits to the labyrinthian temple. Well, they're less statues and more mosaics and hidden figures carved around pillars or at the corners of murals. Conferring with Taro, he learns that these figures hiding around particular entrances and exits are Jocha and his two trusted lieutenants Gamash and Wauri. His son and daughter.

Taro failed his check and everyone got lost in the temple for a bit, but suzaku recovered and now you guys are on the right track again, though losing some time. Iota needs to make a piloting check.