PDA

View Full Version : Upper Class base class

Rev666
2014-02-07, 05:13 PM
Ive decided that at some point im going to make a completely over the top character that will scream 'fighting british gentleman' with a top hat, monocle, moustache, dapper suit, have at thee's, a swordcane, the works. Using core only can you offer some suggestions for base classes, prestige classes and feat ideas? Ever seen an internet meme with a 1920's ridiculously manly man. Imagine that with his name being something along the lines of Chester Roosevelt and you have the idea of silliness im after.

LibraryOgre
2014-02-07, 05:15 PM
Bard. Preferred performance style is Oration.

nedz
2014-02-07, 05:20 PM
Aristocrat. Stay well clear of those horrible professional classes — You know the sort: Wizards, Clerics and the like — they're just tradesmen. A bit of indulgence in other classes is fine — just so long as they're amateurs: Bard, Sorcerer, that sort of thing.

Wargamer
2014-02-07, 06:09 PM
Don't forget to give him the following:

Like a Sir(Su): Whenever the British Gentlemen is inconvenienced by a spell, spell-like ability or supernatural ability, he may attempt to make a suitably British quip. If he succeeds, the inconvenience is negated.

Furthermore, if he makes a suitably British quip when performing an attack roll, he may add his class levels to the attack and damage rolls.

Example British Quip:

Wizard casts Fireball.
British Gentlemen produces a (now lit) pipe and puffs on it appreciatively. "Jolly decent of you, my dear. I was just about to request a light."

eggynack
2014-02-07, 06:26 PM
Damn, core only? I have a super-nifty druid thing kicking around that would fit perfectly here, but it requires the cityscape web enhancement (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a) to work right. Also, maybe a DM who will let a druid take spell thematics (PGtF, 44), cause the main point of the whole thing is that you summon bears that wear top hats and monocles.

ddude987
2014-02-07, 06:33 PM
Damn, core only? I have a super-nifty druid thing kicking around that would fit perfectly here, but it requires the cityscape web enhancement (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a) to work right. Also, maybe a DM who will let a druid take spell thematics (PGtF, 44), cause the main point of the whole thing is that you summon bears that wear top hats and monocles.

I want this build. .. a dapper bear is ... no idea, but that's still awesome

eggynack
2014-02-07, 06:41 PM
I want this build. .. a dapper bear is ... no idea, but that's still awesome
It's mostly just a standard druid who uses spell thematics in combination with some quantity of those ACF's. I like iron constitution, voice of the city, and a couple of the skilled city-dweller trades. There is also a greater than normal emphasis on charisma, where you might otherwise focus on intelligence (as a tertiary stat), because you're trying to be a halfway reasonable face. There is also a bit of summoning emphasis, because that way you can also summon orglashes with top hats and monocles.

The backstory, as far as I have it worked out, is that our hero was once a rich businessman, charismatic and awesome, except he got lost in the woods on a hunting trip. There he survived for a year, and in the process he gained an attachment to the magic of nature, both as a survival mechanism, and out of an appreciation for the natural beauty. Also, even after a year in the woods, his suit is as well formed as it was when he first became lost, as a consequence of the fact that he always prepares at least one instance of mending. Thus, he became the druid of highest etiquette, slinging spells and being awesome.

Red Fel
2014-02-07, 07:05 PM
The backstory, as far as I have it worked out, is that our hero was once a rich businessman, charismatic and awesome, except he got lost in the woods on a hunting trip. There he survived for a year, and in the process he gained an attachment to the magic of nature, both as a survival mechanism, and out of an appreciation for the natural beauty. Also, even after a year in the woods, his suit is as well formed as it was when he first became lost, as a consequence of the fact that he always prepares at least one instance of mending. Thus, he became the druid of highest etiquette, slinging spells and being awesome.

And then one day, he saved a chunky elf from being eaten by a crow (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73Wb14NZ01E)?

eggynack
2014-02-07, 07:10 PM
And then one day, he saved a chunky elf from being eaten by a crow (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73Wb14NZ01E)?
Sounds plausible enough.