PDA

View Full Version : The Smurfs vs 40k field mice

The Second
2014-02-07, 06:17 PM
In honor of all of the silly vs 40k threads, I offer something sillier:

The Smurfs vs 40,000 rabid field mice.

I have a feeling this match up will be significantly more difficult than Smurfs vs Gargamel because there's only one Gargamel, of course, and, though he's mean and arguably evil, I don't think he's rabid.

The primary problem for our army of rabid mice is magic, which Smurfs tend to have in abundance. However, most of the magic seems to rely on spell books in one form or another, so if the mice are somehow able to infiltrate Papa Smurf's library and destroy his books, the mice may have a chance.

The primary problem for the Smurfs, on the other hand, is the shear number of mice they'll be facing. Also, though Smurf magic is powerful, it seems to focus on charm and illusion more than anything else. Perhaps if the smurfs had a spell that could crate a solid barrier around Smurf Village they could hold the tides at bay, or maybe a spell to relocate the mice in mass, then that would solve the problem instantly.

Of course, it is well known that the Smurfs will have any magic they need at any point in time, and while it's usually the case that simply reading a magic book will allow Papa Smurf to activate whatever magic is needed, there are cases when a certain spell requires one component or another that the Smurfs don't have on hand. Generally, finding this component involves around twenty minutes of questing, so if there is indeed some spell in one of Papa Smurfs books that will create a magical force barrier or teleport a huge army somewhere else, then it's likely that there will be a component that must be quested for and obtained since it can be assumed that the Smurfs rarely use such magic.

So the question becomes, how would the Smurfs defend the village until some brave smurf was able to retrieve the holy macguffin and ensure peace and harmony in Smurf Village (at least until next episode)?

comicshorse
2014-02-07, 06:59 PM
In honor of all of the silly vs 40k threads, I offer something sillier:

The Smurfs vs 40,000 rabid field mice.

I have a feeling this match up will be significantly more difficult than Smurfs vs Gargamel because there's only one Gargamel, of course, and, though he's mean and arguably evil, I don't think he's rabid.

The primary problem for our army of rabid mice is magic, which Smurfs tend to have in abundance. However, most of the magic seems to rely on spell books in one form or another, so if the mice are somehow able to infiltrate Papa Smurf's library and destroy his books, the mice may have a chance.

The primary problem for the Smurfs, on the other hand, is the shear number of mice they'll be facing. Also, though Smurf magic is powerful, it seems to focus on charm and illusion more than anything else. Perhaps if the smurfs had a spell that could crate a solid barrier around Smurf Village they could hold the tides at bay, or maybe a spell to relocate the mice in mass, then that would solve the problem instantly.

Of course, it is well known that the Smurfs will have any magic they need at any point in time, and while it's usually the case that simply reading a magic book will allow Papa Smurf to activate whatever magic is needed, there are cases when a certain spell requires one component or another that the Smurfs don't have on hand. Generally, finding this component involves around twenty minutes of questing, so if there is indeed some spell in one of Papa Smurfs books that will create a magical force barrier or teleport a huge army somewhere else, then it's likely that there will be a component that must be quested for and obtained since it can be assumed that the Smurfs rarely use such magic.

So the question becomes, how would the Smurfs defend the village until some brave smurf was able to retrieve the holy macguffin and ensure peace and harmony in Smurf Village (at least until next episode)?

Smurf's have magic ? In 40K ? :smalleek:
They fall to chaos and Tszeentch glories in his new servants and then realises he has no idea what he can do with them

Tiki Snakes
2014-02-07, 07:19 PM
Smurf's have magic ? In 40K ? :smalleek:
They fall to chaos and Tszeentch glories in his new servants and then realises he has no idea what he can do with them

They aren't mice from the grim dark future of mankind. They are regular (rabid) mice and there just happens to be 40,000 of them.

Which should be enough to zerg rush the village.

comicshorse
2014-02-07, 07:24 PM
They aren't mice from the grim dark future of mankind. They are regular (rabid) mice and there just happens to be 40,000 of them.

:smalleek: I'll just shut up now

MLai
2014-02-07, 07:33 PM
They aren't mice from the grim dark future of mankind..
But let's just pretend that they are, shall we?

Tengu_temp
2014-02-07, 07:40 PM
Don't underestimate the smurfs' aptitude for construction. Many episodes have shown that they're able to build large (by their scale) constructions relatively quickly if they have to. If given enough warning time, they should be able to raise a palisade around the village (not tall enough to stop Gargamel, but we're talking about mice here) and construct some non-lethal traps to catch the mice that still get through.

It's a bit like a child-friendly version of Dwarf Fortress.

Tiki Snakes
2014-02-07, 07:44 PM
Two things. Firstly, mice can climb really well.

Secondly, not only do mice have enormous teeth, they are also in this case rabid.

So, uh, not that much more child friendly than Dwarf Fortress. :smallbiggrin:

Mewtarthio
2014-02-07, 07:52 PM
In the throes of their horrifying madness, the mice turn on one another and tear themselves to pieces. Smurves win by default.

Unfortunately, the mice spread a terrible plague into the village. By the opening of the next episode, 90% of the Smurf population is dead (Smurfette is among the survivors, since she's technically not a Smurf and has a unique biology).

The Glyphstone
2014-02-07, 07:54 PM
I'll confess, I also thought this was Smurfs vs. field mice from Warhammer 40K.

Tengu_temp
2014-02-07, 07:56 PM
So, uh, not that much more child friendly than Dwarf Fortress. :smallbiggrin:

That made me laugh.

Also, mice are still rather tiny in comparison to the blue guys. It will take a large pack of them to take a smurf down, provided he's cornered and cannot escape. Don't they have balloons and stuff?

They'd probably have to abandon the village until the deus ex machine of the week helps them get rid of the mice. Did we ever get a definite answer whether those houses are real mushrooms or just look like them? In the first case, I assume the mice will eat them all, and little will remain.

The Second
2014-02-07, 08:05 PM
Indeed, mice can climb, they can also gnaw and tunnel. A simple wall isn't going to save Smurf Village.

Also, even if 90% of the 40,000 mice do kll each other, that leaves 4000 rabid mice that the smurfs have to deal with, one way or another. Heck, even if 99% die, there would still be 400, quite enough to over run Smurf Village.

MLai
2014-02-07, 09:24 PM
A field mouse is not that small compared to a smurf. For a smurf, a rabid field mouse is equivalent to a rabid adult male wolf for us.

Tengu_temp
2014-02-07, 10:52 PM
A field mouse is not that small compared to a smurf. For a smurf, a rabid field mouse is equivalent to a rabid adult male wolf for us.

Mice are roughly 33%-50% of a smurf's height, and much lighter. It's more like a not very big dog, scale-wise.

The Second
2014-02-07, 10:56 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure Smurfs are three apples tall. Mice, on the other hand, less than an apple tall, if we're talking Red Delicious. They might measure up to a small Granny Smith, though.

MLai
2014-02-08, 12:35 AM
3 apples?? When did smurfs get so big?!
*googles...*

Holy crap smurfs are HUGE! This changes everything.

Tengu_temp
2014-02-08, 02:51 AM
Do note that Gargamel can grab several smurfs at once. That guy must have hands like shovels.

Bhu
2014-02-09, 04:23 AM
I'll confess, I also thought this was Smurfs vs. field mice from Warhammer 40K.

If such were the case let us be honest in saying the Smurfs are screwed http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_bAijPUx19qk/TA0SBvEmiPI/AAAAAAAAIAE/B27RHvLe7LM/s1600/mouse-with-gun.jpg