PDA

View Full Version : Town Monster Arena Battle! [OOC]

Pages : [1] 2

AmberVael
2007-01-27, 05:25 PM
Tired of watching massive titan characters battle it out with each other?
Tired of seeing all the petty rulings that would never come up in a smaller game?
Well look no further! I present to you the
TEAM vs. MONSTER ARENA BATTLES!

This Arena Match concept is brought to you by the minds of Lykan and Vael (though mostly Lykan, I just kinda tossed in a few minor ideas).
So here is how this will work:

Character Entry:
Those wishing to enter a character will follow these rules to create and submit a character.

1) Only characters who are in Town can join. You can create a new character for this, but please don't just have them join town temporarily for the fight. This is the Town Arena, not just an Arena.

2) All characters will use the standard point buy method listed in the DMG. You have 34 points. For those who don't know how point buy works, use this table:
{table]Ability Score|Point Cost
8|0
9|1
10|2
11|3
12|4
13|5
14|6
15|8
16|10
17|13
18|16[/table]3) All characters will have 72,000 XP (halfway between 12th and 13th level). LA reduction rules may be used.

4) All characters will have starting gold of 88,000 GP.

5) All HP/HD rolls are maximized.

6) You may use any race, creature, etc. that is normally allowed for play. (So any race with listed LA is fair game).

Arena Combat Rules:
Note that rules from the OOC Arena Thread, and the Arena Championship may not apply here. For example, instant death spells are allowed, and ability scores may entirely be drained.

Once enough characters have been submitted, the three judges (Lykan, Douglas, and myself) will separate them into equal and 'classic' groups. (Like a normal adventuring party).

The goal of this arena battle is to get through the most groups of monsters with your group PCs. You are working cooperatively this time. Once your group has been made, you will start off fighting against a certain set of monsters (which is determinedly randomly, but are of equal CR). After that group of monsters has been defeated, there will be a one round pause before another (harder) group of monsters will be sent in. This will continue until you have gotten through all the groups or until the entire party is dead.

Between each group of monsters a character has the choice to rest 8 hours (regaining and repreparing your spells, as well as the HP you normally would get). However, you can only do this once in the entire battle.
The exception to this rest rule is that once you reach the gap between the 6th and 7th set of monsters you automatically get one free rest at that time. This also occurs between sets 9 and 10. (If you are so lucky as to make it that far!)
Each character decides when they get to rest individually. The entire party does not have to rest all at once.

As of the moment we are still working on maps and how those will be integrated into this, but the standard map will not be used, and there is a possibility of switching out arenas between monster sets.

Once every group has gone through the arena, the following awards will be given to the winners:

Surivivor Award
(This award is given to the single character who got to the highest set of monsters, and then survived the most amount of rounds in that set)

Slayer Award
(This award is given to the single character who killed the most monsters)

Team Effort Award
(This award is given to the group of characters who make it to the highest set of monsters with two or more characters still surviving)

Judge's Pick
(Each judge can award one character for whatever they desire, whether it be for most ingenious, best built character, best strategy, most lucky, etc. These are not set awards, but decided on after the arena is entirely over)

???
(Hey, there is one award floating out there which is entirely a mystery... maybe you'll get it...)

And more!
(We are still thinking of a few awards, and they will be coming soon!)

And... I think thats it. If you have questions, comments, or character submissions, please put them in this thread.

McBish
2007-01-27, 05:35 PM
Sounds fun. I think I might bump up my new character I had just introduced to make the level requirments up that high.

Deadly
2007-01-27, 05:36 PM
((Wow... I've been working on a similar idea, though not arena related. Hmm.... maybe it could be combined. I need to think... oh my

Sounds really cool, though))

Rebonack
2007-01-27, 05:41 PM
This is made almost entirely of awesome.

AmberVael
2007-01-27, 05:45 PM
I was quite fond of the idea too. Its like... DnD... Town... and Fable all in one.

Cathrindir
2007-01-27, 05:46 PM
Nice. I might throw together some stats for Cathrindir and toss him in.

Rebonack
2007-01-27, 06:00 PM
Now... Should I enter Regiji or Bob the Epic Commoner?

Lord Iames Osari
2007-01-27, 06:05 PM
Drake is in.

wxdruid
2007-01-27, 06:06 PM
If I can figure enough out about Rain, she'll be in.

Indurain
2007-01-27, 06:12 PM
I'll toss Indy into the mix...sounds like fun!

Lykan
2007-01-27, 06:15 PM
I'm in!

And I'm judging.

So I'll be in a different group then my own. :biggrin:

Flay
Male Human Fighter 6/ Predator (Druid Variant) 6
N Medium Humanoid
Init +3, Senses Listen +13, Spot +13
Language Common, Druidic, Elven
__________________________________________________ ________
AC 24, touch 24, flat-footed 20
Hp 120 (12 HD)
Saves Fort +13, Ref +11, Will +15
Speed 50 ft.
Melee Claw +15/+10 (1d10+6 plus 1 Con/19-20/x2) and Fang +15/+10 (1d10+6 plus 1 Con/19-20/x2)
Ranged Raptor +15/+10 (1d10+5/19-20/x2/120 ft./ Ignores Miss Chance)
Base Attack +10; Grp +15
Druid Spells Prepared (CL 10)
0 - (6) Create Water, Detect Magic, Detect Poison, Flare, Light, Naturewatch
1 - (5) Jump, Longstrider, Sandblast*, Wall of Smoke*, Winter Chill*
2 - (5) Blinding Spittle*, Body of the Sun*, Flaming Sphere, Fog Cloud, Spider Climb
3 - (4) Call Lightning, Dehydrate, Icelance*, Poison
4 - (4) Dispel Magic, Flame Strike, Freedom of Movement, Ice Storm
5 - (2) Freeze*, Inferno*
* From Spell Compendium
Abilities Str 20 (+5), Dex 19 (+4), Con 14 (+2), Int 12 (+1), Wis 18 (+4), Cha 4 (-3)
Feats Dodge, Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Bastard Sword), Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Repeating Crossbow), Improved Two Weapon Fighting, Mobility, Natural Bond, Oversized Two Weapon Fighting, Practiced Spellcaster, Somatic Weaponry, Spontaneous Healer, Track, Two Weapon Fighting, Weapon Focus (Bastard Sword)
Skills Climb +11, Concentration +11, Knowledge (Nature) +3, Jump +11, Listen +13, Spellcraft +10, Spot +13, Survival +15, Swim +11
Possessions Bracers of Armor +5, Claw and Fang (+1 Wounding Bastard Swords), Cloak of Resistance +4, Raptor (+2 Seeking Repeating Crossbow), 25 Crossbow Bolts of Wingbind (CL 10), 25 Grenade Bolts (Casts CL 10 fireball), Potion of Displacement, 20 Bolts
Flaws Frail, Meager Fortitude
Special Abilities
- Animal Companion (Ex): Flay has a Diononysus named Aripa as an animal companion, detailed below.
- Wild Empathy (Ex): Flay can influence animal behavior as though through the Diplomacy skill. This ability takes 1 minute, and requires that both the animal and Flay are able to see and hear each other, and are within 30 ft. of one another. The check is equal to 1d20+3. This ability can also be used on Magical beasts, but with the check being only 1d20-1.
- Woodland Stride (Ex): Flay can move through areas of nonmagic undergrowth without suffering an impediment to speed.
- Trackless Step (Ex): Flay cannot be tracked unless he wishes to be.
- Resist Nature’s Lure (Ex): Flay gains a +4 to saves against the Spell-Like Abilities of Fey.
- AC Bonus (Ex): Flay adds his Wisdom modifier to his AC. He only loses this bonus when he’s immobilized, helpless, if he wears any armor or shields, or if he carries a medium or heavy load.
- Favored Enemy (Ex): Flay gains a +4 bonus to Bluff, Listen, Sense Motive, Spot, and Survival checks made against Humanoids with the (Magical Beast) subtype, as well as a +4 bonus to damage. Flay also gains a +2 bonus to these skills and to damage against Humanoids with the (Aberration) subtype.
Hook: Doesn’t talk, breath is raspy.

Kyrian
2007-01-27, 06:43 PM
If I can figure enough out about Rain, she'll be in.

Oooh, sounds good, if I can figure Aramir, he's in.

Rebonack
2007-01-27, 06:59 PM
Indurain should have a blinding gaze attack. Not the sort that riggers when he looks at the monster, but rather when the monster looks at him.

AmberVael
2007-01-27, 07:23 PM
Blinding... Beauty?(Su (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#supernaturalAbilities))

This ability affects all humanoids (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#humanoidType) within 30 feet of Indurain. Those who look directly at him must succeed on a DC (10+1/2HD+Cha modifier) Fortitude save (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/combatStatistics.htm#fortitude) or be blinded (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#blinded) permanently as though by the blindness spell. Indurain can suppress or resume this ability as a full-round action to put on/take off clothes.

Alex Shipmaster
2007-01-27, 07:34 PM
heh, might throw a previous incarnation of Hawkeye in there

Lykan
2007-01-27, 08:38 PM
So, can we get some idea of what your class levels are going to be?

Just so we can arrange you into balanced groups.

The Orange Zergling
2007-01-27, 08:42 PM
Oooh, this looks fun, I may put Kekichwe* in here.

It doesn't help that I'm kind of a noob at D&D in general, but meh. I know it well enough.

*Thri-kreen psion (kineticist), if that helps, Lykan

Deus Mortus
2007-01-27, 10:12 PM
Hmmm, I think I might throw in Nilt as in the father from Tinderhall, but a younger version, now he only visited town once, but is going to be here a few more times and perhaps I'll make him a permanent char, so can I do this, because I'm kinda new to D&D and playing my other chars might prove a bit to difficult for me...

AmberVael
2007-01-27, 10:14 PM
I see no reason why a de-leveled, young version of Tinderhall wouldn't work, but if you want to use Nilt, go ahead.

Alex Shipmaster
2007-01-27, 10:24 PM
Hmm, Hawkeye would be Fighter/prestige class (haven't worked out as of yet what it'll be)

AmberVael
2007-01-27, 10:26 PM
Now I would like people to keep in mind that this will have to have somewhat faster posting time than the other arena battles, just to keep things going. So if you won't be able to be regular about doing this, please leave the slots open for people who can do this regularly.

Deus Mortus
2007-01-27, 10:28 PM
I see no reason why a de-leveled, young version of Tinderhall wouldn't work, but if you want to use Nilt, go ahead.

Because I wouldn't know how to play a wizard/rogue/assassin, going simply one class wizard seems a bit easier to me, I'll roll him up though.

AmberVael
2007-01-27, 10:32 PM
Actually, with our character generation methods you don't need dice at all. :smalltongue:

Deus Mortus
2007-01-27, 10:36 PM
Yeah, but I have wanted to say "let me roll up a char" for a while now :P

Lord Sidereal
2007-01-28, 03:42 AM
I'll throw my hat into the arena. I'm tempted to play as near to Douglas' build as I can make a level 12 character but that would be lame, plagarism and probably very little fun, so I'm thinking either a Cleric or a Warlock.

But if you will allow leadership (i don't want followers, just a cohort) I'll be a sorceror, so:

Can we take leadership, Vael?

Edit: Do you want us to contribute maps or are the judges sorting them out on their own?

AmberVael
2007-01-28, 03:49 AM
We are creating the maps and will have no need fo other contributions.
Furthermore, you may want to keep in mind that spellcasters will be running out of spells, and will only get one or two chances to rest and regain them.

Lord Sidereal
2007-01-28, 03:50 AM
Defintly going to go with a melee type, in that case.

Exachix
2007-01-28, 03:50 AM
I think I may join. It's another event for me to test my might....

Douglas
2007-01-28, 04:01 AM
I'll throw my hat into the arena. I'm tempted to play as near to Douglas' build as I can make a level 12 character but that would be lame, plagarism and probably very little fun, so I'm thinking either a Cleric or a Warlock.
There's just one problem with trying to imitate my ECL 25 build at level 12: even one missing level makes the whole thing just about fall apart due to missing the capstone Improved Metamagic of either Dweomerkeeper or Incantatrix. At level 12 you can't even get one of them, and your selection of metamagic feats to use them with is pretty poor anyway.

InaVegt
2007-01-28, 05:19 AM
One question, is the arena a full manifest zone?

In case you wonder, most places aren't (only the city of manifest in the standard ghostwalk rules)

Exachix
2007-01-28, 05:22 AM
What do you mean by that Gezina?

InaVegt
2007-01-28, 05:28 AM
I might be using a ghostwalk ghost as my character for this. (Ghostwalk is a 3.0 campaign option which has been updated to 3.5 here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20031225a).) It works a bit differently depending on whether you are in a full manifest zone or a normal area.

Lord Sidereal
2007-01-28, 09:46 AM
http://thetangledweb.net/profiler/view.php?id=8360

This is my build, until a RAW question gets answered, in which case my cloak of resistance will be changed for some useful scrolls.

Rebonack
2007-01-28, 12:20 PM
The Rules spoiler tab isn't working for me.

I figure there's supposed to be something important under it?

Lord Iames Osari
2007-01-28, 12:55 PM
1) Only characters who are in Town can join. You can create a new character for this, but please don't just have them join town temporarily for the fight. This is the Town Arena, not just an Arena.

2) All characters will use the standard point buy method listed in the DMG. You have 34 points. For those who don't know how point buy works, use this table:
{table]Ability Score|Point Cost
8|0
9|1
10|2
11|3
12|4
13|5
14|6
15|8
16|10
17|13
18|16[/table]
3) All characters will have 68,000 XP (halfway between 12th and 13th level). LA reduction rules may be used.

4) All characters will have starting gold of 88,000 GP.

5) All HP/HD rolls are maximized.

6) You may use any race, creature, etc. that is normally allowed for play. (So any race with listed LA is fair game).

Yup. Here you go.

Indurain
2007-01-28, 01:00 PM
For info sake: Indurain is just your average human monk. I'll have a character sheet done up by tomorrow.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-01-28, 01:02 PM
Scout 5/Swashbuckler 3/Duelist 4 here.

AmberVael
2007-01-28, 01:06 PM
And now, ladies and gentleman, I present to you:
Jack. (http://www.thetangledweb.net/profiler/view.php?id=8288)
He's not quite how I picture him as he is in town, but he comes close.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-01-28, 02:44 PM
Drake Darrow (http://www.thetangledweb.net/profiler/view.php?id=8118), expert fencer, is (mostly) ready.

Deus Mortus
2007-01-28, 02:46 PM
You might want to make your character public Drake.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-01-28, 02:56 PM
:smalleek: oops. :smallbiggrin: Will do.

Edit: done.

Rebonack
2007-01-28, 06:22 PM
Well, I've got Regiji (http://www.thetangledweb.net/profiler/view.php?id=8396) done for the most part. Since I intend to use his PP pool to soak damage with improved Elan resilience the powers that he knows really don't matter too much. Except a psionic version of Explosive Runes (kekeke) and Dispel Psionics. Can't make missiles without those. =X

I'll fill in the rest of his powers once I stop being lazy.

AmberVael
2007-01-28, 06:59 PM
Regiji, I'm slightly confused as to your number of power points. According to my calculations you should have...
24 (22 int, level 8 manifester) + 58 (effectively level 8 psion) and +2 for being an elan.

Rebonack
2007-01-28, 07:06 PM
Ok, my bad. It says class level on the table and that's what I calculated it by. I'll go fix that now.

Now my broken weapons will only do an average of 400 damage! Oh noes!

AmberVael
2007-01-28, 07:09 PM
Yeah, and I was wondering just where in the hell you got these "diffusion missiles," what enhancement your gloves and headband give, etc. You need to describe anything that is custom made in your notes, too.

Rebonack
2007-01-28, 07:19 PM
They're stockpiled Explosive Runes coupled with a single use Dispel Psionics item set to go off on impact in area of effect mode. And also set to automatically fail the dispel check. Thus setting off all the runes at once.

It's a fun little toy I first threw together some time ago.

And now that you're on I can ask you directly. Normally a magic item can not have its caster level set below the minimum required to use said spell. However, the item I'm making (and have the feat to craft) is basically intended to purposely botch said spell, so it seems conceivable that the CL could be lower.

Of course, that call is up to you.

AmberVael
2007-01-28, 07:26 PM
No, it is inconcievable to have the CL lower, considering you could not technically cast the spell at a lower CL, and thus the magic item would not work.
Also:

You trace these mystic runes upon a book, map, scroll, or similar object bearing written information.
Are you telling me you are throwing books at people or something?
Furthermore, there are no psionic explosive runes.

Rebonack
2007-01-28, 07:36 PM
Independent Research
A psion also can research a power independently, duplicating an existing power or creating an entirely new one. If characters are allowed to develop new powers, use these guidelines to handle the situation.
Any kind of manifester can create a new power. The research involved requires access to a retreat conducive to uninterrupted meditation. Research involves an expenditure of 200 XP per week and takes one week per level of the power. At the end of that time, the character makes a Psicraft check (DC 10 + spell level). If that check succeeds, the character learns the new power if her research produced a viable power. If the check fails, the character must go through the research process again if she wants to keep trying.

Creating new powers not on the normal list is easy enough so long as that is allowed. If it isn't I've got a number of other builds I can use.

Strips of paper inside what is basically a hollow sling stone. The -1 to hit for improvised sling stones is already taken into account.

AmberVael
2007-01-28, 08:08 PM
Well first off, they cost 3,360 each. They do count against your starting gold, even if you did create them.
Furthermore, no.
Just no.

Rebonack
2007-01-28, 08:26 PM
Spell Level (3) times Manifester Level (5) times 50 = 750. Or 375 to make each one.

How did you get 3360? Oo

No...? But...

But... blowing stuff up with missiles is fun. T_T

Douglas
2007-01-28, 08:33 PM
Let's see, each one has 16 Empowered Explosive Runes. Psionic Empower costs +2 PP, the equivalent of +1 spell level, so going by the cost to hire someone to cast it (the absolute cheapest option):
4 (effective spell level) * 7 (minimum manifester level) * 10 = 280.
That's per Rune. 280 * 16 = 4480 per stone, and we still haven't added the Dispel Magic.

Rebonack
2007-01-28, 08:36 PM
But my character is manifesting it. Manifesting your own powers doesn't cost you anything =/

AmberVael
2007-01-28, 08:38 PM
No, Douglas, the "spell level" doesn't go up for augmenting. It states that quite clearly... I know I've seen it...

Rebonack
2007-01-28, 08:44 PM
So, does this build have a big 'Isn't going to happen' stamp on it by the Arena GM? I can go with another build for Regiji, but the lack of missiles and pressurized full-plate really takes some of the fun out of it.

Douglas
2007-01-28, 08:45 PM
The actual spell level, no. The spell level for cost purposes, I can't find a specific rule one way or the other, but if I look up an item with a metamagiced spell and reverse engineer the price, I'm pretty sure I'll get that it uses the level of the spell slot used, not the actual level of the spell.

Edit:
So, does this build have a big 'Isn't going to happen' stamp on it by the Arena GM?
Looks like it.

Edit2:
Also, the Immediacy feat you came up with is grossly overpowered imo and I'm hitting it with the banstick unless Vael overrules me. The closest WotC equivalent I could find is the EPIC feat Multispell (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#multispell), which is considerably more limited than Immediacy.

AmberVael
2007-01-28, 08:49 PM
Augmenting powers merely seems to increase manifester levels.
However, this is a moot point since massive 96d6 sling bullets of doom are certainly not going to be allowed.

Rebonack
2007-01-28, 08:51 PM
Even if I only cut down to 20 of them?

Oo

AmberVael
2007-01-28, 08:54 PM
Also, the Immediacy feat you came up with is grossly overpowered imo and I'm hitting it with the banstick unless Vael overrules me. The closest WotC equivalent I could find is the EPIC feat Multispell (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#multispell), which is considerably more limited than Immediacy.

I was about to cite that very feat. Yeah, no, immediacy is terribly broken.
And I MIGHT consider letting you have a few sling bullets with ONE explosive rune in it.

Douglas
2007-01-28, 08:56 PM
20 one-shot kills, which is essentially what these are, is still far too many.

Rebonack
2007-01-28, 09:09 PM
If the feat were refined to something like, say, granting extra uses of only Elan Resilience per round, would that be more workable? It's all I had any intention of using the feat for to be honest.

Well... let's see. 6d6 x 1.5 is an average damage of about 31. For the feat and monetary investment it just wouldn't be worth it. I would be better off just picking up a dorje of Energy Missile or something and save three feats for use elsewhere.

Miatog
2007-01-28, 09:17 PM
Hmm…I’ll work on getting Miatog set up for this. He’ll be a sorcerer.

One question, do we only get those 34 point for stats, or do we also apply the normal +1 stat per 4 levels?

AmberVael
2007-01-28, 09:19 PM
We're not giving you a damage cap, but that strategy will simply take the fun out of it for others, and plus its just plan munchkiny and cheap. It'd be like using the Sanctum Spell/Arcane Fusion combo that Douglas told me about.
You get the normal level bonuses too.

As for your suggestion, Regiji, lets put it this way:
Sling bullets can be used with rapid shot and multiple attacks. Wands can't.

Rebonack
2007-01-28, 09:24 PM
Here, let me provide a comparison. I'm currently spending 15,000 gp on crafting these things. With the same amount of money I could make a dorje of Energy Missile at hmmm... ML 20 for the same amount of money provided I could magically get my ML that high. The point I'm making here is that I'm investing a large amount of recourses, both gold and feats, to get this to work.

If you wanted to limit it to something comparable without min-maxing then 18d6 (three runes) would be the closest. I can live with that.

As for your suggestion, Regiji, lets put it this way:
Sling bullets can be used with rapid shot and multiple attacks. Wands can't.

Dual Wand Wielding feat?

*cough*

Anyway, that would also mean I'm burning myself out of what limited ammo I have that much faster.

AmberVael
2007-01-28, 09:32 PM
Dual Wand Wielding also requires two wands...

The nearest comparison I can come up with is this:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#javelinofLightning

Rebonack
2007-01-28, 09:37 PM
They... ummm... cloned them! >.>

Would you allow three runes per missile? Would you allow Immediacy if it only grants extra uses of Elan Resilience per round? If no, then I'll stop bugging you and make a martial focused build instead.

Running out of steam right before a fight with a Beholder isn't any good D=

AmberVael
2007-01-28, 10:09 PM
Compared to the legal item listed above...
Its still way cheaper than it should be.

Rebonack
2007-01-28, 10:26 PM
Rune bombs are legal too, just far more cost effective!

*sets character sheet on fire*

I'll work on something else then. But not now. Oh no. There's plotting to be done.

*scurries away*

Deus Mortus
2007-01-29, 08:02 AM
Vael will the PC's be working in groups or solo? If in groups, how large would these groups be?

AmberVael
2007-01-29, 10:10 AM
As explained in the first post (though perhaps not clearly enough) the PCs will be split into groups, probably into groups of 3,4 or 5. You will work with these other PCs to kill off the monsters.

Deus Mortus
2007-01-29, 10:16 AM
Alright, I think I almost have my char ready though I need permission for this feat.

Phantom Familiar Steed

Your familiar permanently becomes a phantom steed as cast by a lvl 20 spellcaster, however you must give up one 3rd level spellslot while the familiar is present, you forfeit all the bonusses of a familiar however when making ride checks while mounted on the steed, you gain a +4 circumstance bonus.

AmberVael
2007-01-29, 10:32 AM
Make the following changes:
Your phantom steed familiar has an effective caster level = to the caster level of the class in which you sacrificed the 3rd level spell slot.
You do not gain a bonus on ride checks.

However, I believe its HP could be higher for this... give it familiar style HP.
[hr]Flay (Lykan) (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1905263&postcount=11)
Amitos (DDMD) (http://thetangledweb.net/profiler/view.php?id=8360)
Jack (Vael) (http://www.thetangledweb.net/profiler/view.php?id=8288)
Drake (Drake) (http://www.thetangledweb.net/profiler/view.php?id=8118)

Deus Mortus
2007-01-29, 11:17 AM
The point to the steed is that I can fly it, which requires caster level 14, bonus on ride checks was a bit of fluff I was willing to discard offcourse.

I thought that at the cost of a feat, the skill bonusses of a familiar and a feat that would be balanced. If I would go at it that way, I might as well summon oen with that spell slot I'm giving up and still have my familiar :/

InaVegt
2007-01-29, 12:48 PM
My question about full manifest zone hasn't been answered yet.

AmberVael
2007-01-29, 03:47 PM
Well, since I don't have the Ghostrun rules, I have no idea what I'm agreeing to.
Unless I get a full description, the answer will be no.
-The Buster Sword Bunny has spoken!

Rebonack
2007-01-29, 11:19 PM
Ok... Regiji 2.0 (http://www.thetangledweb.net/profiler/view.php?id=8396) is done.

It's hard trying to be accurate when there aren't any classes that shoot exploding missiles T_T.

This is a nice approximation though. Flight, aura of banality, and Perform (Comedy)! The charge attacks are going to get RPed as 'splody missiles though.

You can not take my missiles!

Just something to mention that I'm confused about. Level 12 is at 66k xp I think. Level 13 is at 78k. 68k isn't half way between those two. Was that a mistake, or am I just spacing on something?

Lykan
2007-01-29, 11:22 PM
It's hard trying to be accurate when there aren't any classes that shoot exploding missiles T_T.

They're called Sorcerors, mate. :smalltongue:

AmberVael
2007-01-29, 11:33 PM
{table]Level|XP
1|0
2|1,000
3|3,000
4|6,000
5|10,000
6|15,000
7|21,000
8|28,000
9|36,000
10|45,000
11|55,000
12|66,000
13|78,000[/table]

Hmm...
No idea what I was thinking. I probably wasn't.
72,000, right?

Rebonack
2007-01-29, 11:34 PM
Pfft! Pfft I say!

They are smushy. And Fireball? More like Firecracker!

Besides, how am I going to get a Sorcerer to work in an anti-magic field?

That looks right to me.

Enough extra XP for a 1 LA buy off. Or a metric ton of scrolls.

AmberVael
2007-01-29, 11:39 PM
Could you list the prices for your custom items please?

Rebonack
2007-01-29, 11:43 PM
Yes. Yes I can. It's a good thing I wrote them down >.>.

I think I misstallied something, just a sec...

Indurain
2007-01-30, 12:06 AM
Alright...I think I got it. Indurain (http://www.playrpgonline.net/3eprofiler/view.php?id=771)

((Ladies, please note CHA had to become a dump stat for the purposes of this battle. His real CHA is MUCH higher.))

AmberVael
2007-01-30, 12:09 AM
Flay (Lykan) (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1905263&postcount=11)
Indurain (Indurain) (http://www.playrpgonline.net/3eprofiler/view.php?id=771)
Regiji (Rebonack) (http://www.thetangledweb.net/profiler/view.php?id=8396)

Rebonack
2007-01-30, 12:43 AM
Ok, I had must have accadently overshot the mark when I changed the equipment a few times.

Should be fine now.

Miatog
2007-01-30, 12:46 AM
Something just accured to me. Can I do meningless flavor text with the spells? Example, if I were to cast Fireball I would escribe it as a flaming ball of dark energy. it's the same thing in every manor, just in how most would make it look.

AmberVael
2007-01-30, 12:47 AM
That is entirely fine, Miatog.
For example, one of my characters that I considered using for this arena had wings made of fire.
No stat difference between that and the template I used, they just had flavor.

Miatog
2007-01-30, 12:55 AM
good, otherwise i'd have to withdraw my name. Oh, I nailed something down for him. Still working on details, should have a sheet up no later then whensday night (skrol and work keep me from saying tomorrow). His levels will be 3Sorcerer/3Cleric/6Mystic Theurge. that means his spells will be as good as a 9 Socerer and 9 Cleric.

Lykan
2007-01-30, 01:02 AM
good, otherwise i'd have to withdraw my name. Oh, I nailed something down for him. Still working on details, should have a sheet up no later then whensday night (skrol and work keep me from saying tomorrow). His levels will be 3Sorcerer/3Cleric/6Mystic Theurge. that means his spells will be as good as a 9 Socerer and 9 Cleric.

On top of that, you may want to consider the Practiced Spellcaster feat, for both classes.

'tis a nasty little bugger of a feat.

Rebonack
2007-01-30, 01:03 AM
Now I'm curious, why aren't you using Fenix, Vael?

Are you planning on actually going somewhere significant with this new guy, or is he just going to be a one month wonder?

AmberVael
2007-01-30, 01:08 AM
I never plan to do anything significant with any of my characters. Its all improvisation. Lots and lots of improvisation. You have no idea how much of my stuff gets made up and added to as I go along, making it seem more than I had ever planned it to be.
Like Earin. Dang. I had never even planned for him to have that name, much less his personality, a wife, and the rest of the story.
Jack really hasn't gotten a chance to do anything interesting yet, thats all. He'll change and become more like the rest of my characters (except Maal, that was somewhat disappointing.)

The Orange Zergling
2007-01-30, 01:10 AM
Still working on Kekichwe, I'm a little less than half done.

And I know what you're talking about when you say you improvise a lot... I tend to do that too much. Except I'm not good at thinking on my feet.

Miatog
2007-01-30, 01:14 AM
omg, that gives me a 12 cleric 12 sorcerer at lvl 12...wow, I need to use this for some P+P.

Lykan
2007-01-30, 01:20 AM
Remember, it'd have to be two seperate feats... but it still rocks.

Rebonack
2007-01-30, 01:22 AM
Remember Miatog, caster level only. Not extra/higher level spells.

Still pretty useful none the less though.

I think Regiji is pretty different in that regard, Vael. I've certainly fleshed him out more in the Town; he was only a secondary character before. But his personality and background and things of that nature were more or less in place when I arrived.

Miatog
2007-01-30, 01:25 AM
yeah, to think in terms of a lvl 20 character...i could have an efective Cleric 20, efective sorcerer 20, along with 4 levels of something else. Freakn' sweet. At any rate, that's 2 of my 6, the next 4 get to be metamagics

EDIT: oh right, the feat won't help with spells, oh well the class does at any rate. So I do get spells like I was 9 in both.

AmberVael
2007-01-30, 01:43 AM
Well... 12 caster level at least. And you do have to blow two feats on it.

Oh, and Regiji- I hate to do this to you again, but...
If you want speed enhancement boots, you'll have to go with the boots of striding and springing. Yours... not expensive enough. If you want to keep them we'll have to throw in an ad hoc price modifier to keep it balanced.

Also, the Ring of Hustle should be 16,000 gp since the minimum manifester level for a psychic warrior to use that power is 4.

Also, I have no idea what Rite of the Dragonborn is, or the Valorous weapon ability is. (I do know that Valorous is in the Unapproachable East book, but I don't have it).

Furthermore, I'm going to have to take away the cheese. Its too dangerous. :smallwink:

Lykan
2007-01-30, 01:52 AM
Yeah... I've got a question too. What's this you've listed as your class?

Fighter/12 Halfdragon/1

Rebonack
2007-01-30, 02:08 AM
I just think it's my duty to point out that some of the items that the nice people at Wizards made suck. The Boots of Striding and Sprinting are a good example. If you think the price is too low for the item I threw together then the proper course of action would be to increase the level of the spell it's based on. No reason to make martial types pay through the nose for magic and leave caster types unpeanilized.

Moot point though. I'll may just drop them all together and add that 4000 to the Ring of Hustle. Problem solved.

Valorous is a +1 weapon ability that doubles damage on a charge. Very nifty for Fighter types.

Forgot to mention. Rite of Dragonborn is what changes the race from half-orc (or anything else) to dragonborn. Costs 100 gp as you can see.

Oh, the first LA of the Half-Dragon template can be found here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20030912a).

Lord Sidereal
2007-01-30, 03:43 AM
Pfft! Pfft I say!

They are smushy. And Fireball? More like Firecracker!

Besides, how am I going to get a Sorcerer to work in an anti-magic field?

That looks right to me.

Enough extra XP for a 1 LA buy off. Or a metric ton of scrolls.

no one is going to want to be on your side if you're using an antimagic field. at this level every character build relies on some wizardry to get them up to standard.

Deus Mortus
2007-01-30, 08:42 AM
Vael, how does this work for you

Phantom Familiar Steed

Your familiar permanently becomes a phantom steed as cast by a lvl 14 spellcaster, however you must give up one 3rd level spellslot while the familiar is present, you forfeit all the bonusses of a familiar.

So I trade:

1 feat
1 3rd level spellslot
1 familiar (meaning delivered touch spells and bonusses like alertnes and stat/skill bonusses)

for:

+2 castlevel and permanancy on one spell

AmberVael
2007-01-30, 09:02 AM
Whoa whoa whoa whoa-
There is NO way you can combine the class progression/LA reduction like that. It makes absolutely no sense with system. If you did it that way, you could reduce the LA for far less of a cost than you should be able to pay otherwise. That is definitely not happening. For LA reduction you have to have all of the LA before you can start reducing it.

Tinderhall-
Consider getting the Arcane Thesis feat for your steed. Having a permanent spell is a really handy thing, especially with the abilities the steed gives you. However, that feat (along with your revised feat) gives you exactly what you want.

Deus Mortus
2007-01-30, 09:21 AM
Can you tell me which book it is in? I was told it was very broken, so I didn't consider it...

AmberVael
2007-01-30, 09:29 AM
It is, but for your feat I think it would be fine...
Its in the PHB II. Or here. (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Arcane_Thesis,PH2)

Deus Mortus
2007-01-30, 09:30 AM
Alright, thanks I'll use that then, thanks :)

Amiria
2007-01-30, 09:55 AM
Hmm, I'll make a character, a 12th level version of Mirage. I'll use the Lesser Drow (no LA) version from the PGtF. Probably a Bard 8/Lyric Thaumaturge 4 with the Artist, Captivating Melody, Melodic Casting, Song of the Heart, Versatile Performer and Words of Creation feats.

Deus Mortus
2007-01-30, 10:54 AM
Small question if my char has sorceror and wizard levels, do those levels stack for casterlevels or not?

AmberVael
2007-01-30, 10:55 AM
They do not. Your sorcerer and wizard levels use seperate caster levels.

Lord Sidereal
2007-01-30, 11:04 AM
((and why anyone would tkae sor and wiz levels in the same character is beyond me.))

AmberVael
2007-01-30, 11:09 AM
For the sheer awesomeness of the versatility (but lack of power)? So you can qualify for the Ulitmate Magus class? Because you can?

Deus Mortus
2007-01-30, 11:10 AM
Because I was thinking of Ultimate Magus, tomorrow I'll be in a game session, I'll ask one of the players for some input.

Lord Sidereal
2007-01-30, 11:15 AM
((i just got your avi Vael, i thought it was a novelty kazoo))
what book is this "ultimate magus" in?

AmberVael
2007-01-30, 11:18 AM
Complete Mage.
Oh, and DDMD, do keep in mind that this is the town arena... I will want to see your character show up in town, and I hope he isn't just made for this.

Lord Sidereal
2007-01-30, 12:18 PM
yeh, i am going to put him in when i feel the time is right, I got bored of Cain/Cable but didn't want to bump him off in case I wanted him in fututre s I thought "why not make a warlock" considering there's very few of them about.

Deus Mortus
2007-01-30, 02:12 PM
I remember reading somewhere that there are more familiar's available then the ones in the PHB, but I can't seem to find anything about other familiar's, does any of you know where I can find that?

AmberVael
2007-01-30, 02:15 PM
You could get the Improved Familiar (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Improved_Familiar,CW) feat, and I'm pretty sure there are some other ways to gain different familiars. Perhaps Douglas and Lykan can expand on this?

Deus Mortus
2007-01-30, 02:32 PM
I don't have space for another feat in my current build.

Lykan
2007-01-30, 02:39 PM
I remember reading somewhere that there are more familiar's available then the ones in the PHB, but I can't seem to find anything about other familiar's, does any of you know where I can find that?

You could get the Improved Familiar (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Improved_Familiar,CW) feat, and I'm pretty sure there are some other ways to gain different familiars. Perhaps Douglas and Lykan can expand on this?

Umm... It really depends what you're looking for...

Deus Mortus
2007-01-30, 02:43 PM
I'm looking for a white dove, was looking if there perhaps is listed one and else maybe take the raven stats and call it a dove.

Lykan
2007-01-30, 03:18 PM
I'm looking for a white dove, was looking if there perhaps is listed one and else maybe take the raven stats and call it a dove.
Just do that.

Either that or an owl.

Seriously, that's a pretty easy thing to replicate... So yeah, Crow or Owl stats, but you can call it a Dove.

Hell, I had a Sorceror in a pirate/islands based campaign, and his familiar was a macaw. I just used the Raven stats, but otherwise, it was a macaw. :smalltongue:

Deus Mortus
2007-01-30, 03:20 PM
Alright, will do that then, now the only thing that remains is my spell list, do I need to buy the spells outside my 2 spells per level allotment or can I have them for free? If I need to buy them, how expensive would they be?

AmberVael
2007-01-30, 03:24 PM
150 gp x spell level, I believe.

Deus Mortus
2007-01-30, 03:29 PM
alright, thanks.

Douglas
2007-01-30, 03:36 PM
50 gp per spell level to pay another wizard for access to his spellbook for copying or 25 gp for a scroll of a first level spell with no expensive or xp components. 100 gp per page to copy into your spellbook, with number of pages usually equal to spell level though the Geometer has a class feature that changes that. Total 150 gp per spell level with a special exception of 125 gp for 1st level spells with no expensive or xp components.

With normal spellbooks, you also need one spellbook (15 gp) per 100 pages worth of spells.

The cost per page can be eliminated for 1000 pages with the one-time cost of a Blessed Book (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#blessedBook), but that's only worth it if you have a large selection of spells.

Deus Mortus
2007-01-30, 03:39 PM
Well since you don't need to pay the 100Gp per page to fill it in, it's already good after 10 spells, so I think I'll use that, I like to be versatile ;)

Rebonack
2007-01-30, 03:45 PM
Whoa whoa whoa whoa-
There is NO way you can combine the class progression/LA reduction like that. It makes absolutely no sense with system. If you did it that way, you could reduce the LA for far less of a cost than you should be able to pay otherwise. That is definitely not happening. For LA reduction you have to have all of the LA before you can start reducing it.

I think you’re misunderstand what I’m doing, Vael.

I only have the first level of the template which is a LA 1. Your objection would be valid if I were taking it one level at a time and reducing it in a stepwise fashion, but I’m not.

This system was designed so that people could take only one (or two, or whatever) levels of a template if they wanted to. And I agree that the buy off should only be used once a player reaches the level of the template they intend to end at.

I’m using a 1 LA template, call it ‘least half-dragon’ if you want to differentiate it from the standard one.

Oh, and I think I figured out why the Boots of Springing and sprinting (or whatever combination of ‘S’ words it uses) is as expensive as it is. The items itself is based on Long strider as opposed to Expeditious Retreat. According to the item creation rules a continuous item using long strider would cost 2k due to the hour per level duration.

An expeditious retreat item would cost twice that.

The reason the price on the boots is so high is because someone decided that it would be a good idea to tack on a +5 competence bonus to jump on it as well. The boots I put together lack the competence bonus which explains why they end up costing less.

Amiria
2007-01-30, 05:38 PM
Ok, here is Mirage (http://www.rpgwebprofiler.net/view.php?id=46750), almost ready. I just have to buy the mundane stuff, including things like clothes, spell component pouch, masterwork elven lyre, etc.

Fear her !

Or love her, she'll give her group a +6 morale bonus on attack rolls, damage rolls, and saving throws against fear.

wxdruid
2007-01-30, 06:39 PM
Here is Rain (http://www.thetangledweb.net/profiler/view.php?id=8441) Please let me know if I need to change anything.

Indurain
2007-01-30, 06:54 PM
Or love her, she'll give her group a +6 morale bonus on attack rolls, damage rolls, and saving throws against fear.

Sign me up for some of that action!! Woooo!!

Edit: Also edited Character slightly. Not a big deal, but changed 1 feat and 1 bonus feat. Go PHB II!!

Rebonack
2007-01-31, 02:30 AM
Ok... after some thought on the matter I've decided to enter a critter other than Regiji (http://www.thetangledweb.net/profiler/view.php?id=8572) (Everyone's using secondary characters. Except Indurain, but I don't want to follow any examples he sets.).

This will be nice for two reasons.

1) It won't 'splode everything in one hit like Regiji would.

2) It's very very durable. 'tis a good thing considering that this is basically a 'survive as long as you can' type deal.

Amiria
2007-01-31, 03:38 PM
I heartily encourage someone to play a Crusader (ToB) with the Rallying Strike (Devoted Spirit, 6th level) maneuver. A Mass Cure Serious wounds on a successful attack is very good. :smallcool:

Whoever heeds the call, please be in the same group as Mirage. :smallsmile:

Rebonack
2007-01-31, 03:58 PM
Doesn't it take a minute of practice/meditation to get maneuvers back?

With only a one round respite between fights such a build wouldn't be too helpful.

Oh, another thing I was wondering. Will the group have a few rounds to get ready for battle or will the monsters just get thrown at us right off the bat?

Amiria
2007-01-31, 04:03 PM
Doesn't it take a minute of practice/meditation to get maneuvers back?

Not for a Crusader, he immediately gets a new set of readied/granted maneuvers as soon as he has expended all his readied maneuveres.

Crusaders are teh uber tanks, although at 12th level they are one level short of Mettle. But Steely Resolve 20 and Diehard are nice enough along with a good choice of maneuvers.

Oh, another thing I was wondering. Will the group have a few rounds to get ready for battle or will the monsters just get thrown at us right off the bat?

This I'd also like to know. Mirage has a wand of Lesser Vigor and I hope there will be time to use it between battles.

Hawkeye
2007-01-31, 04:27 PM
Draft version of Hawkeye (http://www.thetangledweb.net/profiler/view.php?id=8543). I may make some alterations but that's how he's going to basically be.

McBish
2007-01-31, 04:36 PM
Here is leveled up and equiped Eric. (http://www.thetangledweb.net/profiler/view.php?id=8331)Not a super build by any means, but I can be tricky sometimes.

Lykan
2007-01-31, 05:12 PM

This I'd also like to know. Mirage has a wand of Lesser Vigor and I hope there will be time to use it between battles.

1 round between each monster, 3 rounds at the begining.

Amiria
2007-01-31, 05:31 PM
Ok, then I'll see if I can find something affordable which heals faster. Probably a Wand of Cure Serious/Critical Wounds with a few charges.

Here is leveled up and equiped Eric. (http://www.thetangledweb.net/profiler/view.php?id=8331)Not a super build by any means, but I can be tricky sometimes.

OMG, he needs some Will save boosting, badly ! Maybe a good Cloak of Protection and a Crystal Mask of Mindarmor (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/universalItems.htm#crystalMaskofMindarmor) ?

McBish
2007-01-31, 05:35 PM
Hmmm... maybe you are right. There we go. +5 still isn't great but oh well.

Indurain
2007-01-31, 08:12 PM
Do we have an planned starting date? Just wondering how often I should be checking the thread. No pressure or anything, whenever you want to start is fine by me. I'm just a curious fellow (even after what it did to the poor cat.)

Lykan
2007-01-31, 08:20 PM
Well, I need to finish making maps, and in the meantime, more people might want to sign up... So the starting date is pretty dependent on how much of a procrastinator I am.

Deus Mortus
2007-01-31, 08:30 PM
Plus I still need to finish my build, it's hard to try and optimize (not cheesy, but enough for him to survive) something you have such clearcut few about and with so little experience in D&D :(

Indurain
2007-01-31, 10:16 PM
Right on. Just let me know when we're all set. *gets his fists warmed up*

Rebonack
2007-02-01, 01:52 AM
You know, I was just looking over the Psi Warrior's power list when I noticed 'Lion's Charge' is a power, not a 'expend you focus' psionic feat. So I got rid of hustle and grabbed the charge. Then changed out the item accordingly.

I'm glad I was the first to notice the mistake. I would have felt like an idiot otherwise >.>

The Orange Zergling
2007-02-01, 01:59 AM
Gaah, all this gold, and I have no idea what to spend it on! Anything I want costs either too much or would not be worn by Kekichwe... (Armor = bad, kids. :smalltongue:)

Cheesetastic question, am I allowed to psionically/magically enhance normal clothing with 'armor' bonuses? Such as, say Floating? Assuming I add the cost, of course...

Douglas
2007-02-01, 09:16 AM
I see no problem with treating normal clothing as armor with a base AC bonus of 0 and no max dex (and no affect on abilities that require wearing no armor).

AmberVael
2007-02-01, 09:18 AM
That sounds reasonable to me as well. It'd be something like the bracers of armor, except clothing.

Flay (Lykan) (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1905263&postcount=11)
Mirage (Amiria) (http://www.rpgwebprofiler.net/view.php?id=46750)
Rain (Gwen) (http://www.thetangledweb.net/profiler/view.php?id=8441)
Nameless (Regiji) (http://www.thetangledweb.net/profiler/view.php?id=8572)
Hawkeye (Hawkeye) (http://www.thetangledweb.net/profiler/view.php?id=8543)
Eric (McBish) (http://www.thetangledweb.net/profiler/view.php?id=8331)

Amiria
2007-02-01, 11:03 AM
Flaws and Traits ? Are they allowed, and if so, how many ?

Rebonack
2007-02-01, 11:32 AM
I think we get two flaws.

Not sure about traits.

Deus Mortus
2007-02-01, 12:09 PM
If anyone wants to help me, I made a request for building my char here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1934895#post1934895), I tried make the char with the knowledge I have, but it either didn't work, was not allowed or used a lot of rules I don't really comprehend.

AmberVael
2007-02-01, 01:12 PM
You have a maximum of 2 flaws, one at first and another at 1st, 5th, or 10th.

You have a maximum of 2 traits.

CLouD2002
2007-02-01, 02:04 PM
Is there still room? If so i would like to draw up a lower level Caleb.....

Rebonack
2007-02-01, 03:28 PM
Just a thought, Deus, you really don't need to extend/thesis on Phantom Steed. It lasts an hour per level.

Twelve hours would be 7,200 rounds. If you (or any of us for that matter) manage to live that long I would be really really surprised. I would suggest that you use the two feats on something else.

Craft Wand and Craft Wondrous Item are good. Stalk up on save or loose and save or suck spell wands. Make all of your own ability boosting items. Save some money and put that extra XP to good use!

Deus Mortus
2007-02-01, 03:41 PM
Well I figured this would a dungeon like affair, so that I would want to use it 24 hours straight...

Rebonack
2007-02-01, 04:02 PM
I think we just fight wave after wave of monsters with a one round respite in between.

Though even if we did end up doing a more dungeon sort of deal the 12 hours would be all you need. Most parties rest for 8-12 hours each day =P

Being able to make wands goes a long way to keeping a character alive in a grinding sort of ordeal like this one. You'll be burning through lots of spells, so it's a good idea to have the ones you'll be using the most in combat as wands.

Deus Mortus
2007-02-01, 04:53 PM
Well I asked Vael to help me with my char, I'm sure he can teach me a thing or two :P

CLouD2002
2007-02-01, 05:15 PM
I have made a charactor for the arena....click here (http://www.rpgwebprofiler.net/view.php?id=46838) ...if anyone sees something out of place pm me....also...i forgot how much extra damage greater powerful charge does...can someone look that up for me....remeber i am already counted as one size catigory larger....

Rebonack
2007-02-01, 07:29 PM
Eerr... Powerful build states that you're considered one size category larger than you are. Not that you are one size category larger. As such I don't think that Greater Powerful Charge would do much good for you.

In other words, despite Powerful build your character is medium sized, so Greater Powerful Charge would treat him as large. But powerful build does that already.

As per your question, a Large sized creature would get an extra 3d6 damage from Greater powerful Charge.

Edit: Why do you have Monkey Grip? Oo

CLouD2002
2007-02-01, 08:38 PM
Well i don't need monkey grip i just read that....and with powerful build i am considered a large type creature

As from the Expanded Psionics Handbook
Powerful Build: The physical stature of half-giants lets them
function in many ways as if they were one size category larger.
Whenever a half-giant is subject to a size modifi er or special
size modifi er for an opposed check (such as during grapple
checks, bull rush attempts, and trip attempts), the half-giant
is treated as one size larger if doing so is advantageous to him.
A half-giant is also considered to be one size larger when determining
whether a creature’s special attacks based on size
(such as improved grab or swallow whole) can affect him. A
half-giant can use weapons designed for a creature one size
larger without penalty. However, his space and reach remain those of a creature of his actual size. The benefits of this racial
trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that
change the subject’s size category

So since i am already considered large....with greater powerful charge i will be considered huge

Indurain
2007-02-01, 09:04 PM
I don't know anything about your class/race, but having no base saves seems kinda odd to me.

Also a ring of sustanence may be one of the least useful items to have for this particular battle. There is no "resting". We get 1 round in between fights, except for a few pre-determined matches where we are considered fully rested (at least that's how I understand it?). You might want to spend that gp on something else instead.

Lykan
2007-02-01, 09:12 PM
Also a ring of sustanence may be one of the least useful items to have for this particular battle. There is no "resting". We get 1 round in between fights, except for a few pre-determined matches where we are considered fully rested (at least that's how I understand it?). You might want to spend that gp on something else instead.

Plus the single resting period you can use after any match you wish.

CLouD2002
2007-02-01, 10:00 PM
ack! I forgot those....i knew i forgot something....prolly replace the ring with my cure potions....

EDIT: Charactor has been updated....decided to go with the boots of striding and springing

Rebonack
2007-02-01, 10:25 PM
Huh... looks like I was wrong about how Powerful Build stacks.

*shrugs*

Hasn't been the first time I've made a mistake. Prolly not the last either.

You still don't have your BAB on there. Should be 9. And you also need the +9 Misc mod to Jump from your boots.

Deus Mortus
2007-02-01, 10:31 PM
Hasn't been the first time I've made a mistake. Prolly not the last either.

Everything I thought was true, appears to be a lie, WHY REBO WHY?

CLouD2002
2007-02-01, 10:38 PM
Yeah i do...got it in the action points slot....i didnt see BAB slot...

EDIT: and the boots only give me a +5 to jump

Rebonack
2007-02-01, 10:38 PM
Why do people always have unrealistic expectations of me?

>.>

And why don't you have a tentative character sheet yet? =P

To Cloud: Ah... I was wondering what that was about. I usually use the action point slot as a convenient place to put the Power Point reserve.

CLouD2002
2007-02-02, 12:00 AM
Okay i got a question....if a score a crit while charging....do i only take the 3d6 from my sword and multiply it by 2....or do i take the total damage from my Greater Powerful Charge, Greater Psionic Weapon, and 3d6 and the multiply it together?

The Orange Zergling
2007-02-02, 01:03 AM
Question:
If Kekichwe has four arms (Thri-Kreen), do I need to take TWF to use 2 weapons? Specifically, heavy crossbows?

Lykan
2007-02-02, 01:11 AM
Try looking at this. Not sure if it will answer your question or not. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsterFeats.htm#multiweaponFighting)

The Orange Zergling
2007-02-02, 01:37 AM
Try looking at this. Not sure if it will answer your question or not. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsterFeats.htm#multiweaponFighting)

Not really, he can't even take the feat, Dex of 12.

Although, looking at the PHB; you can fight with two weapons, you just take massive penalties. However, having four arms, it would be like using both hands to fire one weapon... except you're firing two at once.

Ok, I'm starting to confuse myself.

Rebonack
2007-02-02, 01:42 AM
Okay i got a question....if a score a crit while charging....do i only take the 3d6 from my sword and multiply it by 2....or do i take the total damage from my Greater Powerful Charge, Greater Psionic Weapon, and 3d6 and the multiply it together?

Extra damage dice are not multiplied by a confirmed critical. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm#criticalHits) Hence, you multiply the 3d6+17 from your sword and then add the damage from Greater Powerful Charge and Greater Psionic Weapon.

EDIT: and the boots only give me a +5 to jump

The boots give you a +5 competence bonus and a +4 unnamed bonus for increasing your speed by 10.

Amiria
2007-02-02, 08:35 AM
I don't think that I'll need my Lesser Choker of Eloquence. I wanted to use it in conjunction with the Fugue spell for good effects based on Perform checks but I switched the spell.

So Mirage (http://www.rpgwebprofiler.net/view.php?id=46750) has ~6.000 gp for other things to spend. What to buy ? More scrolls and wands (of what?) or some nifty item like Boots of Striding and Springing ?

There'd be also enough money for a +1 (or +2 if I change things) enchantment for my armor or buckler.

Deus Mortus
2007-02-02, 11:33 AM
Nilt (http://thetangledweb.net/profiler/view.php?id=8708), items and spells to be done at a later time.

The Orange Zergling
2007-02-02, 02:28 PM
I also have roughly 9,000gp left to spend... Kekichwe wouldn't wear armor, and I've mutilated his character enough to fit this arena already... Final question; would I be at a major disadvantage if I didnt spend any of my remaining money?

InaVegt
2007-02-02, 02:30 PM
I also have roughly 9,000gp left to spend... Kekichwe wouldn't wear armor, and I've mutilated his character enough to fit this arena already... Final question; would I be at a major disadvantage if I didnt spend any of my remaining money?

Yes, you will. but 30 potions of CMW could be very handy if you don't know where to pur that money.

The Orange Zergling
2007-02-02, 02:39 PM
Yes, you will. but 30 potions of CMW could be very handy if you don't know where to pur that money.

Alright, thank you.

AmberVael
2007-02-02, 02:46 PM
Melee Characters
Caleb (CLouD2002) (http://www.rpgwebprofiler.net/view.php?id=46838)

Arcane Characters
Nilt (Deus Mortus) (http://thetangledweb.net/profiler/view.php?id=8708)

Divine Characters

Support/Ranged Characters

Kyrian
2007-02-02, 02:53 PM
I'm still working on Aramir's.

The Orange Zergling
2007-02-02, 03:04 PM
Kekichwe (http://www.thetangledweb.net/profiler/view.php?id=8621)

I probably screwed up something or miscalculated something. If someone spots it, tell me so I can fix it please.

AmberVael
2007-02-02, 03:09 PM
Well... whether you screwed up or not entirely depends on which version of the Thri-Kreen race you are using.
What is the LA of your thri-kreen?

The Orange Zergling
2007-02-02, 03:11 PM
My XPH says +2, I didnt know there was more than one version.

AmberVael
2007-02-02, 03:13 PM
Ah. That one. There is another in the Savage Species guide...
Unfortunately, that means you lose two of your levels. LA stacks with HD for ECL, so... yeah. I think you might be able to salvage one level with the LA reduction method, let me check.

EDIT: Well... using LA reduction you will end up at an ECL of 11, with no level adjustment.
So nine levels and two HD.

The Orange Zergling
2007-02-02, 03:16 PM
DOH! *slaps forehead*

Alright... I'll start changing it now.

EDIT: Fixed, that was surprisingly painless.

McBish
2007-02-02, 04:22 PM
Ok I changed it so I could get crippling strike. Here is Eric (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/whistling) now.

AmberVael
2007-02-02, 04:28 PM
Melee Characters

Arcane/Psionic Characters
Kekichwe (The_Orange_Zergling) (http://www.thetangledweb.net/profiler/view.php?id=8621)

Divine Characters

Lykan
2007-02-02, 05:46 PM
Melee Characters

Kekichwe (The_Orange_Zergling) (http://www.thetangledweb.net/profiler/view.php?id=8621)

Divine Characters

Anyone else entering characters?

Amiria
2007-02-02, 05:48 PM
Hmm, so few divine casters ...

No love for CoDzilla ?

Lykan
2007-02-02, 05:52 PM
Hmm, so few divine casters ...

No love for CoDzilla ?

Technically, Rain's a divine caster too, albeit not one of incredible power.

It'll be a luxery this time around, folks. :P

InaVegt
2007-02-02, 06:01 PM
Gruk, Ghostly fighter (http://www.rpgwebprofiler.net/view.php?id=46882)

Lykan
2007-02-02, 06:38 PM
Questions and/or Comments for the following People:

Regiji
- What is the "antenna lash?"
- What do your flaws do?
- What does the Ring of Divine Favor and the Cheese of Healing do?

DDMD
- What’s a Greater Chasuble of Eldritch Power do?

Deus Mortus
- Please make your character public.

Amiria
- What do Lesser Choker of Eloquence and Quivers of Elhonna do?

Gezina
- Can you explain how your Ghost Related abilities work in your notes, please? It’d be a big help.

Rebonack
2007-02-02, 06:51 PM
Questions and/or Comments for the following People:

Regiji
- What is the "antenna lash?"
- What do your flaws do?
- What does the Ring of Divine Favor and the Cheese of Healing do?

The antenna lash is the 'Flame Lash' ability (or sonic as it is in this case) of the Pyrokinetisist.

Fussy basically makes it so I can't use potions and take a penalty on saves against poison. Loudmouth grants a penalty on Diplomacy and Move Silently.

Ring of Divine Favor is a Command word activated magic item that grants Divine Favor at caster level six. The Cheese of Healing is a slotless command word activated item that casts Cure Light Wounds on the user at caster level two.

Lykan
2007-02-02, 07:03 PM
Fussy basically makes it so I can't use potions and take a penalty on saves against poison. Loudmouth grants a penalty on Diplomacy and Move Silently.

Numbers, please.

AmberVael
2007-02-02, 07:05 PM
Fussy (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Fussy,all)
Just put the link in your character sheet. Speaking of which, I should do the same.

Rebonack
2007-02-02, 07:34 PM
The specifics are noted in my sheet.

Indurain
2007-02-03, 12:03 AM
Do we need to have 2 flaws? Or is that for fun?

Miatog
2007-02-03, 12:39 AM
I feel that I need to withdraw from this. I have too much on my plate already and am finding it hard to find time to try and stat Miatog well. Most of what's done now was done from suggestions from Regiji, not much of my work.

Rebonack
2007-02-03, 01:46 AM
But... we needed another Healbo-

I mean...

Valued party member!

Lord Iames Osari
2007-02-03, 01:48 AM
Do we need to have 2 flaws? Or is that for fun?

You can have up to 2 flaws, and each flaw grants you an extra feat. You are not required to take any flaws, but the option is there.

Amiria
2007-02-03, 03:48 AM
Amiria
- What do Lesser Choker of Eloquence and Quivers of Elhonna do?

1) The Lesser Choker of Eloquence (CAd; 6.000 gp) gives a +5 competence bonus on Bluff, Diplomacy and Perform (Singing). Butt I'll change it => my Mithral Shirt +2 becomes +1 Death Ward (CAr; +5.000 gp) and then a Pearl of Power I (1.000 gp).

2) Quiver of Ehlonna is the true (non-SRD) name of the Efficient Quiver (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#efficientQuiver).

wxdruid
2007-02-03, 10:46 AM
Here is Rain (http://www.thetangledweb.net/profiler/view.php?id=8441), updated with an armband and necklace, total price 88,000 gp. Do I have to choose her cleric spells before the teams and fights are started?

Fenric
2007-02-03, 12:13 PM
Here is Inuk'chula (http://www.rpgwebprofiler.net/view.php?id=46836), better known as Inuk.

The derivations for the various werefoxes are detailed Here (http://homepage.mac.com/stocksdale_tx/FoxInfo.html)

AmberVael
2007-02-03, 01:38 PM
Melee Characters
Gruk (Gezina) (http://www.rpgwebprofiler.net/view.php?id=46882)

Divine Characters

Inukchula (Fenric) (http://www.rpgwebprofiler.net/view.php?id=46836)

Hm.... no love for CoDzilla at all, huh?
If we really need one I'll drop in a low level version of Elya.

InaVegt
2007-02-03, 01:43 PM
Melee Characters

Divine Characters

Hm.... no love for CoDzilla at all, huh?
If we really need one I'll drop in a low level version of Elya.
You missed Grub

AmberVael
2007-02-03, 01:44 PM
I don't know what you are talking about.
>.>
<.<

CLouD2002
2007-02-03, 01:54 PM
So if we have two flaws....we get two extra feats? What about traits?

AmberVael
2007-02-03, 01:56 PM
For each flaw you take you get a feat. You take up to two flaws, and one must be taken at first level.
A trait, however, gives you a penalty and a bonus, and so you gain nothing more from it than what is in the trait's description. You gain two traits at first level, or one trait, or no traits.

CLouD2002
2007-02-03, 02:02 PM
So it is okay to have two traits and two flaws at first lvl right?....i didnt get my two bonus feats

AmberVael
2007-02-03, 02:04 PM
That is perfectly fine.

Exachix
2007-02-03, 04:09 PM
When's the deadline for this?

If I have a decent amount of time I'll stat up Mitsuya and throw her into the fray.

The Orange Zergling
2007-02-03, 08:15 PM
Switched one power for Kek, Firey Discorporation isnt very useful in the timeframe we're working in.

Also, I think I worked out what I'm asking with the crossbow issue; do I take penalties for shooting the two heavy crossbows (as I have not taken TWF/MWF), or do I not, as I am using two hands per weapon?

AmberVael
2007-02-03, 08:22 PM
We'll start as soon as we have enough participants and Lykan has the maps made.
Which I think he does, but I'm not sure.

You do still suffer penalities.

Rebonack
2007-02-03, 08:22 PM
Eerr... I think you would take the normal TWF penalties since you don't have Multi-weapon Fighting.

*Simu ninja Sudden Strikes Vael*

The Orange Zergling
2007-02-03, 09:33 PM
Damn, thought so. Just wanted to confirm.

Douglas
2007-02-03, 11:30 PM
The number of arms used to wield an extra weapon is irrelevant for TWF penalties; the only thing that matters is whether you are getting an additional attack beyond your normal attack progression. However, the rules for a full attack never state that all iterative attacks must be made with the same weapon. If you have a BAB of +6/+1 and two crossbows, you could attack with one at +6 and the other at +1 with no penalty for TWF, or you could attack with both at +6 and apply whatever TWF penalties are appropriate for the weapons and your feats. If you have some means of reloading a crossbow fast enough to make iterative attacks with it, you could even attack with one at +6/+1 and the other at +6, minus TWF penalties of course.

Hogo
2007-02-04, 02:27 AM
A little sqirrel enters the area.
"I wish to fith the monsters!" It announces proudly, even though it is obvious it'd get squashed in seconds.
(or would it? DUN DUN DAAAAAAAHHH!!!!)

Lord Iames Osari
2007-02-04, 02:42 AM
Hogo, you should read the thread before posting. It is plainly marked in the title that this thread is OOC - out of character. Your squirrel needs D&D statistics. I believe you are new, so I'd also recommend that you read the "Welcome to Town (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28740)" thread, which is stickied to the top of the page.

Edit: Ok, not quite at the top, but I gave you a link now, so you should be good.

Hogo
2007-02-04, 04:50 AM
Thanx alot, thats useful.
I still want to enter.
I could do stats right now.
I WILL do stats right now.

Exachix
2007-02-05, 03:53 PM
Ok, I've made up Mitsuya.

She is at http://www.thetangledweb.net/profiler/view.php?id=8861

And I've used up all but 88gp =). Which I am happy with. However, if anyone feels I can add to her, feel free to say. =)

AmberVael
2007-02-05, 03:59 PM
Melee Characters
Gruk (Gezina) (http://www.rpgwebprofiler.net/view.php?id=46882)

Divine Characters
Mitsuya (Exachix) (http://www.thetangledweb.net/profiler/view.php?id=8861)

The Orange Zergling
2007-02-05, 04:36 PM
Bah, I just realized I lose a psion bonus feat due to the LA... remind me to never again play anything with a Level Adjustment.....

Lykan
2007-02-05, 07:25 PM
Okay, the comp is CLOSED. No more characters will be accepted as of this time.

Okay, here's the groups:

Nameless (Psychic Warrior/Fighter/Sonicmancer thingy)
Gruk (Fighter/Eidolon)
Amitos (warlock)
Iunkchula (Ranger/Ice Werefox)

Eric (Rogue/Fighter)
Rain (Tiger/Cleric)
Nilt (Wizard/Sorcerer/Ultimate Magus)
Mirage (Drow/Bard/Lyric Thaumaturge)

Flay (Fighter/Druid)
Drake (Scout/Swashbuckler/Duelist)
Kekichwe (Kineticist/Thri-kreen)
Indurain (Monk)

Mitsuya (Cleric/Werefox)
Caleb (Psychic Warrior)
Hawkeye (Fighter/Deepwood Sniper/Peerless Archer)
Jack (Sorcerer/Fatespinner)

Kyrian
2007-02-05, 07:59 PM
Aww...all I needed was help on Aramir....

Rebonack
2007-02-05, 08:10 PM
Nifty.

So... when do we start?

AmberVael
2007-02-05, 08:12 PM
We just need to run through all the character sheets and make sure everything is ready.

Like for example, Nilt has no magic items... that might need to be fixed.
and i would still like your items listed on your character sheet so I won't have to dig through the thread every time.

Rebonack
2007-02-05, 08:20 PM
Good thing I have prices and effects of all the custom items written up >.>

I'll go double check to make sure I didn't leave out anything.

Deus Mortus
2007-02-05, 09:10 PM
We just need to run through all the character sheets and make sure everything is ready.

Like for example, Nilt has no magic items... that might need to be fixed.
and i would still like your items listed on your character sheet so I won't have to dig through the thread every time.

Yeah my internet is now repaired so I'll work that out, should have it ready soon.

Indurain
2007-02-05, 11:35 PM
Alright, I spent my last 550 gp, leaving only 19 gp left. I'm all set to go.

To the others in my group...You guys want to send me a basic run-down of what our roles in the fight should be. I'm not a brilliant strategist, but I'd like to know where everyone lies.

Indy.

AmberVael
2007-02-06, 11:27 AM
Ok, so after checking over everyone's sheets briefly, I noticed that Mitsuya had the minor problem of having her cloak of resistance being added into her armor class... cloak of resistance gives a bonus to saves, not AC.

Exachix
2007-02-06, 11:37 AM
Ahhh, oops. I'll fix that =). Sorry!

The Orange Zergling
2007-02-06, 12:58 PM

To the others in my group...You guys want to send me a basic run-down of what our roles in the fight should be. I'm not a brilliant strategist, but I'd like to know where everyone lies.

Indy.

Kek's basically a ranged blaster, who will at least in theory still be helpful once he runs out of powerpoints, or forced into melee.

V: In a nutshell.

Lykan
2007-02-06, 01:04 PM

Indy.

You were designed to be the main combatant. Kekichwe is the main Blaster, I am the main divinist, and Drake our expert/support person. We've got a high combat based group... Should be fun.

Lord Sidereal
2007-02-06, 01:22 PM
Question: How are the teams being decided upon?

Lykan
2007-02-06, 01:44 PM
Question: How are the teams being decided upon?

What do you mean? How are they being organized?

Each team is trying to incluse each of the 4 traditional party roles: A combtant, a blaster, an expert, and a divinist.

There was a definite lack of divinists in this competition, which may be a problem.

The teams were made to best make up for the lack of healing ability.

Lord Sidereal
2007-02-06, 01:50 PM
just wondering whther it had been random or not.

does my team fancy a chat about tactics

Lykan
2007-02-06, 02:03 PM
just wondering whther it had been random or not.

does my team fancy a chat about tactics

You better discuss tactics, I'M in charge of your group. :smallbiggrin:

McBish
2007-02-06, 03:33 PM
Just give me someone to flank with and that will be good.

Lord Sidereal
2007-02-06, 03:39 PM
My character can't really contribute THAT much to a team, besides perhaps drawing them enemy towards him with some heavy eldritch blasts (assuming monsters will eb DM'd according to their INT rather than metagamed)

Rebonack
2007-02-06, 03:44 PM
With a fifteen foot reach my little bug should be able to act as a pretty good buffer against anything trying to close in on you warlock.

Lykan
2007-02-06, 04:36 PM
My character can't really contribute THAT much to a team, besides perhaps drawing them enemy towards him with some heavy eldritch blasts (assuming monsters will eb DM'd according to their INT rather than metagamed)

You dare question my DMing skills!?

:smallwink:

AmberVael
2007-02-06, 04:39 PM
One of the guys you're talking to took out his character's rage on a summoned monster during arena combat when strategically the best option would have been to keep going after my opponent. I'd say we'll be good.

McBish
2007-02-06, 06:16 PM
Wait is that me? Because those rabbits were asking for it. Oh wait I'm not DMing this.

wxdruid
2007-02-06, 06:26 PM
Rain is ready to claw and bite the enemy to death.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-02-06, 07:09 PM
You were designed to be the main combatant. Kekichwe is the main Blaster, I am the main divinist, and Drake our expert/support person. We've got a high combat based group... Should be fun.

I'm the expert? :smalleek: Ok, I guess...

Deus Mortus
2007-02-06, 07:10 PM
Alright have it nearly finished as soon as I figure out how to build a cohort pegasus mount, I was going to go with phantom steed, until I saw that there actually pegasus monster in the SRD.

Lykan
2007-02-06, 07:26 PM
I'm the expert? :smalleek: Ok, I guess...

What? You've got levels of Scout. That's the closest wew canget in the group.

Actually, if played right, you and Indy can have interchangable roles.

churchofbanjo
2007-02-06, 09:37 PM
Will there be another round? I was waiting for this, but when it arrived, I totally missed it. If there will be, I will begin my character sheet.

CLouD2002
2007-02-07, 12:34 PM
So when are we getting this started....I am raring to go!!! :)

AmberVael
2007-02-07, 12:37 PM
We're going to start once the maps have been made, and once everyone has their characters entirely ready.

Deus Mortus
2007-02-07, 12:39 PM
Almost done, just trying to figure out how I should map out my Pegasus cohort mount, IE how it's level advancement works in terms of feats.

AmberVael
2007-02-07, 12:39 PM
Erm... is this a cohort gained through the leadership feat?

CLouD2002
2007-02-07, 12:40 PM
That is kewl....i will be waiting...it looks to me that i am the only melee charactor in my group.....well guess i have to protect all of ya'll ;-)

Deus Mortus
2007-02-07, 12:43 PM
Erm... is this a cohort gained through the leadership feat?

Yeah, used as a mount instead of arcane thesis for phantom steed.

AmberVael
2007-02-07, 12:44 PM
^^: Exachix and I have got a plan worked out, since we are the two support casters.
Pretty much you'll have a cleric at your shoulder, Hawkeye flying around behind, and I'll be flying around doing whatever needs to be done, whether it is healing you or Mitsuya, or blasting monsters, or turning someone invisible, etc.

^: Normally we don't allow hireling type creatures/people into the arena...