PDA

View Full Version : Power Overload! That is, an Overcharged Druid...

CrazyYanmega
2014-02-08, 02:37 AM
So my Level 2 Anthropomorphic Bat Druid isn't really able to help out too much in his more combat oriented campaign. I'm able to cast Entangle, which helps the mostly mundane/ranged party. But after I spend all of my Spell Slots, there wasn't a whole lot I could do (Heck, even Entangle didn't help too much, and somehow the enemies were able to tell that the spell didn't come from anyone in the massive group of people coming out of the bushes 3-4 squares away from them, but from a bat 300 frikkin feet in the air. Cue a barrage of Acid Arrows flying my way.).

The final straw for the DM was watching me throw myself on a burning building, setting myself on fire, then bullrushing an enemy in an attempt to deal damage. (I personally saw this as really freaking clever. The DM saw it as a cry for help.)

My druid has been templated (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=771716). With one of the most overpowered templates of all. Monster of Legend, from MMII.

As you can see, I am now so powerful that my Wildshapes are weaker than I am. Which means my planned playstyle is now out the window. My question is how do I use this overpowered monstrosity? (Note that the other players will be templated, I just got templated earlier than some of the others.)

DM ruled that Greater Damage applies to Wildshapes, but I'm wondering if I'd be better off boosting the saves for my spells and breath weapon.

Zsaber0
2014-02-08, 02:52 AM
Once you get wildshape and higher level spells you would have become way more powerful then any of the so called "mundanes." Melee and archery based characters will be stronger at the lower levels, then as you move on past level 6, you will slowly start to leave them in the dust.

Getting the templated so early is a foolish Idea, but you can always use it to your advantage. See if your DM would let you wildshape into Monster of Legend versions of animals?

CrazyYanmega
2014-02-08, 03:44 AM
I probably should have made it clear that I was aware that I would be leaving them in the dust at the higher levels. But I'll ask about that.

ZamielVanWeber
2014-02-08, 10:56 AM
What three things did you pick for Monster of Legend?

Edit: Reading comprehension fail.

Take Spell Turning and Fast Healing. I like the breath weapon early for Frightful Presence later on, so pick your poison. As long as they can apply in Wildshape you will be a beastly melee.

prufock
2014-02-08, 11:43 AM
Take the aspect of nature (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/classFeatureVariants.htm#wildShapeVariantAspectOfN ature) or Shapeshift variant. It gives you bonuses on certain things, without completely changing your form, and you don't lose your normal abilities (though note some penalties are listed for given aspects).

Slipperychicken
2014-02-08, 12:38 PM
So my Level 2 Anthropomorphic Bat Druid isn't really able to help out too much in his more combat oriented campaign. I'm able to cast Entangle, which helps the mostly mundane/ranged party. But after I spend all of my Spell Slots, there wasn't a whole lot I could do (Heck, even Entangle didn't help too much, and somehow the enemies were able to tell that the spell didn't come from anyone in the massive group of people coming out of the bushes 3-4 squares away from them, but from a bat 300 frikkin feet in the air. Cue a barrage of Acid Arrows flying my way.)

1. Reserve feats, scrolls, ranged weapon, animal companion. Boom, now you're useful long after your spells/day are gone. Also, that's how low-level spellcasters are: You need to use your spells wisely until mid-levels (at which point you have more slots than you know what to do with). Really, if you just waited one level and took a reserve feat, you'd have been fine.

1a. Why don't you just swoop down and use your sonic breath on people when you're out of spells? 3d6, DC 19 reflex/half isn't too shabby for level 2.

1b. Also, you have a bunch of money to spend on consumables like scrolls, CLW wands, and other such things.

2. Spellcasting is obvious. Your character is a freaky bat-person shouting bizarre chants and dweomers while flailing his arm-wings about. Of course they can tell it was you.

3. Stay behind your tanks/dps. As in, make sure your party members stand between you and the enemy. This is basic GOD tactics, and will help you not get shot as much.

CrazyYanmega
2014-02-08, 12:59 PM
My animal companion was killed by an assassin.

The sonic breath strategy is definitely one of the better ones, I think. I'm considering taking Flyby attack so I can perform strafing runs.

I can't buy scrolls or other magic items. The group is in a shanty-town in the middle of a swamp.

Slipperychicken
2014-02-08, 02:23 PM
My animal companion was killed by an assassin.

Is there anything stopping you from taking a day off to pray for a new one? A single day of downtime shouldn't be too much to ask.

eggynack
2014-02-08, 02:24 PM
Is there anything stopping you from taking a day off to pray for a new one? A single day of downtime shouldn't be too much to ask.
Indeed. Also make it a riding dog. Riding dogs are strictly better than wolves, apart from the marginally higher speed.

Gavinfoxx
2014-02-08, 02:26 PM
Take 24 hours to summon a Riding Dog Trained for War, and go buy some barding for it.

eggynack
2014-02-08, 02:28 PM
Take 24 hours to summon a Riding Dog Trained for War, and go buy some barding for it.
Aren't riding dogs natively war trained? Honestly, I've never quite understood how that term is defined. I think it might have something to do with the fact that riding dogs are automatically trained in combat riding.

CrazyYanmega
2014-02-08, 05:18 PM

Unfortunately, 24 hours may be too much to ask. We've been going at a very fast pace, and now may be on the run.

eggynack
2014-02-08, 05:25 PM
Well, in the meantime, you should probably change up your spell list a bit. Produce flame and enrage animal are alright, but you've got crazy BFC powers on your list, and you should make use of them. Especially when enrage animal is doing nothing in the absence of an animal to enrage. Maybe add on an impeding stones, double up on the entangles, and if you've been having difficulties activating entangle, perhaps a sporefield. You could also swap one of those out for a utility slot, like wood wose or winged watcher, or you could add a buff that's more relevant to the characters available for you to buff, like snake's swiftness or instant of power. The latter two aren't that great, but they're certainly better than enrage animal without any animals to work with. In any case, second level spells are pretty amazing, so the turning point may come sooner than you expect. Frigging blinding spittle, kelpstrand, and mass snake's swiftness, all happening at the same time. Crazy.

Gavinfoxx
2014-02-08, 05:50 PM
FYI, Druids, by level 3, can get by on no sleep by staying awake and mobile and moving with Lesser Restoration...

And you can FLY. Just fly to a place where they won't find you, to do the ritual, and wait for your party to catch up. Time it so they get to you when the ritual is done.

CrazyYanmega
2014-02-08, 06:35 PM
FYI, Druids, by level 3, can get by on no sleep by staying awake and mobile and moving with Lesser Restoration...

And you can FLY. Just fly to a place where they won't find you, to do the ritual, and wait for your party to catch up. Time it so they get to you when the ritual is done.

Unfortunately, we are heading underground.

Well, in the meantime, you should probably change up your spell list a bit. Maybe add on an impeding stones, double up on the entangles, and if you've been having difficulties activating entangle, perhaps a sporefield.

What is this Sporefield spell? DnD tools is down, so I can't look it up.

EDIT: Decided to swap out Greater Damage for Enhanced Attributes. +4 to the DCs of my Breath Weapon and Spells is way better than going from 1d4-1d6 damage dice to 1d6-1d8 damage dice for Natural Attacks.

eggynack
2014-02-08, 07:27 PM
What is this Sporefield spell? DnD tools is down, so I can't look it up.

Complete scoundrel, page 104. It's not the best BFC spell, certainly, but it works pretty well with entangle. Wall of smoke (SpC, 235) is also nice, though the duration is pretty low at low levels.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-02-08, 08:17 PM
No wonder your effectiveness was questionable, you forgot Greenbound Summoning! SNAI for a Greenbound Dire Rat can use Wall of Thorns to automatically trap multiple opponents, and then spam Entangle for the rest of its duration. Yes, a 1st level spell gets you a 5th level spell and even more 1st level spells. Prepare Enrage Animal a bunch of times for when greenbound summons wouldn't be appropriate, and use it on the Warbeast War-Trained Riding Dog you should have started with, then just spend the encounter concentrating to maintain that. Even better if you can swap the effect of Enrage Animal for Whirling Frenzy (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/classFeatureVariants.htm#rageVariantWhirlingFrenzy ), since it's mechanically identical to a Barbarian's Rage.

Keep in mind that a DM who giveth, may also taketh away. Don't be surprised if you lose that template a few levels down the road, and be ready to pull your weight when it happens. I'd have suggested switching some feats and getting an animal companion instead of taking an overpowered free template, just to maintain some semblance of game balance.

eggynack
2014-02-08, 08:22 PM
No wonder your effectiveness was questionable, you forgot Greenbound Summoning! SNAI for a Greenbound Dire Rat can use Wall of Thorns to automatically trap multiple opponents, and then spam Entangle for the rest of its duration. Yes, a 1st level spell gets you a 5th level spell and even more 1st level spells..
I don't know if this necessarily works. SNA says that the creatures in question will only attack automatically, so if wall of thorns doesn't qualify as an attack, then summoned creatures won't do it. Per the glossary definition, an attack is something with an attack roll, so wall of thorns wouldn't count under that definition. You would need speak with plants to pull it off, which is tricky at low levels. Anyways, greenbound summoning is pretty amazing, even without that, but I wouldn't call it anywhere near a necessary condition for low level druid awesomeness.

Kioras
2014-02-08, 08:27 PM
Just don't die, since you also gained the outsider type.

Since you gained the outsider type, does that mean you also gained all martial weapon proficiencies? If so, you can go ahead and grab a long bow, and a composite long bow later.

Also, as an outsider you also no longer need to sleep or eat.

On your character sheet, don't forget the +5 natural armor it adds also.

Seems really weird to hand out that template to a druid, but I guess if the DM is having the monsters magically target you when they would have a hard time spotting you cast to begin with... (-30 to check based on distance). Just hope he has something planned for the rest of the group if the game goes past 5-7th level much.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-02-08, 08:49 PM
I don't know if this necessarily works. SNA says that the creatures in question will only attack automatically, so if wall of thorns doesn't qualify as an attack, then summoned creatures won't do it. Per the glossary definition, an attack is something with an attack roll, so wall of thorns wouldn't count under that definition. You would need speak with plants to pull it off, which is tricky at low levels. Anyways, greenbound summoning is pretty amazing, even without that, but I wouldn't call it anywhere near a necessary condition for low level druid awesomeness.

Casting Wall of Thorns to trap opponents would break an invisibility spell, so it constitutes an attack. Furthermore, "It appears where you designate and acts immediately, on your turn. It attacks your opponents to the best of its ability. If you can communicate with the creature, you can direct it not to attack, to attack particular enemies, or to perform other actions." They don't just attack automatically, they attack your opponents to the best of their ability. If this includes using Wall of Thorns and Entangle to trap them, then so be it.

eggynack
2014-02-08, 08:58 PM
Casting Wall of Thorns to trap opponents would break an invisibility spell, so it constitutes an attack. Furthermore, "It appears where you designate and acts immediately, on your turn. It attacks your opponents to the best of its ability. If you can communicate with the creature, you can direct it not to attack, to attack particular enemies, or to perform other actions." They don't just attack automatically, they attack your opponents to the best of their ability. If this includes using Wall of Thorns and Entangle to trap them, then so be it.
Casting wall of thorns constitutes an attack within the specific definition given by invisibility. SNA doesn't necessarily use that definition, and it seems more likely that the definition being used is, "Any of numerous actions intended to harm, disa- ble, or neutralize an opponent. The outcome of an attack is determined by an attack roll," (PHB, 305). It's an ambiguous thing at best, and I think the rules tend towards my stance, given that the glossary definition is such an all encompassing one.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-02-08, 09:12 PM
Casting wall of thorns constitutes an attack within the specific definition given by invisibility. SNA doesn't necessarily use that definition, and it seems more likely that the definition being used is, "Any of numerous actions intended to harm, disa- ble, or neutralize an opponent. The outcome of an attack is determined by an attack roll," (PHB, 305). It's an ambiguous thing at best, and I think the rules tend towards my stance, given that the glossary definition is such an all encompassing one.

If you want to get all RAW about it, we have to read the glossary definition of Attack Roll as well. Then read the glossary definition of Spell-Like Ability, which is what its Wall of Thorns and Entangle abilities are. Then read the glossary definition of Spell. Then we turn to the magic chapter, where spells that don't use attack rolls are repeatedly referred to as attacks, particularly on page 177:

Succeeding on a Saving Throw: A creature that successfully
saves against a spell that has no obvious physical effects feels a
hostile force or a tingle, but cannot deduce the exact nature of the
attack. For example, if you secretly cast charm person on a creature
and its saving throw succeeds, it knows that someone used magic
against it, but it can’t tell what you were trying to do.
Charm Person does not use an attack roll.

Items Surviving after a Saving Throw: Unless the descriptive
text for the spell specifies otherwise, all items carried or worn by a
creature are assumed to survive a magical attack.....For instance,
Tordek is hit by a lightning bolt and gets a natural 1 on his saving
throw.
Lightning Bolt does not use an attack roll.

Spell Resistance: The defender’s spell resistance is like an Armor Class against magical attacks.

Spells are repeatedly referred to as attacks, even when they don't use an attack roll. They are an exception to the rule, they're attacks without using an attack roll, but RAW they're still attacks. Spell-like abilities which duplicate spells are likewise considered an attack when used "to harm, disable, or neutralize an opponent." Also note the beginning of the glossary definition of Attack, "Any of numerous actions intended to harm, disable, or neutralize an opponent." That means any action used to harm, disable, or neutralize an opponent is an attack, not just those that make an attack roll. Spells and spell-like abilities are an exception to the portion of that definition which references attack rolls, and they're perfectly acceptable actions for summoned creatures to perform, especially if this is their most effective means of fighting the summoner's opponents.

eggynack
2014-02-08, 09:17 PM
I suppose that's fair enough then. Greenbound summoning is rather stupid. Still, the lack of control of how the spells are utilized is rather annoying. Not to the extent that the effects won't be crazy, but it's a thing of some kind.

CrazyYanmega
2014-02-10, 12:52 PM
Well, it seems my powers are coming at a price and may in fact be turned on me eventually. But I should be a decently leveled Planar Shepard by that time.